Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,718 members, 7,824,042 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? (7903 Views)

Wells Carlton Hotel Celebrates Members Of Staff For Hardwork And Devotion / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism / Man Sacks Female Staff For Insulting His Wife & Vying For Side Chic Position (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by nickxtra(m): 3:00pm On Jan 20, 2017
I want know the implication(s) of none compliance to the mandatory pension scheme by a company Nigeria?

There is a company, with close to 50 employees (80% of which are females) based in Abuja, where my sister works. Some of staff have spent upto 10 years and my sister just spent 4 years now, but the Managing Director has refused to enrol them for the mandatory pension scheme, even though it is stated in her letter of employment, i.e. to register her for the scheme.

At a point, a female-based NGO wrote to the company mandating it to register its staff for the pension scheme, the MD grudgingly started the process, by bringing forms for the staff to fill, but later stopped when it appeared that he must have settled with the NGO. Since he stopped the process, they have not heard anything from the NGO again.

And the situation the staff find themselves is that they are afraid to confront the company, as the MD fires staff at will, especially when you discuss issues like this with him. The staff live in fear and are at the mercy of the MD who runs the company as it pleases him, even when it negates professional and etnical standards.
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by olujaidi: 3:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
nickxtra:
I want know the implication(s) of none compliance to the mandatory pension scheme by a company Nigeria?

There is a company, with close to 50 employees (80% of which are females) based in Abuja, where my sister works. Some of staff have spent upto 10 years and my sister just spent 4 years now, but the Managing Director has refused to enrol them for the mandatory pension scheme, even though it is stated in her letter of employment, i.e. to register her for the scheme.

At a point, a female-based NGO wrote to the company mandating it to register its staff for the pension scheme, the MD grudgingly started the process, by bringing forms for the staff to fill, but later stopped when it appeared that he must have settled with the NGO. Since he stopped the process, they have not heard anything from the NGO again.

And the situation the staff find themselves is that they are afraid to confront the company, as the MD fires staff at will, especially when you discuss issues like this with him. The staff live in fear and are at the mercy of the MD who runs the company as it pleases him, even when it negates professional and ethical standards.

send a petition to PENCOM. I've also heard FIRS can be useful with respect to unpaid pension
She can also do voluntary contribution

8 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by nickxtra(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
olujaidi:

send a petition to PENCOM. I've also heard FIRS can be useful with respect to unpaid pension
Ok, thanks

2 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Melahou(m): 7:06am On Jan 22, 2017
olujaidi:

LIRS and not FIRS

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by rawpadgin(m): 7:07am On Jan 22, 2017
n
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by alsudaes1(m): 7:09am On Jan 22, 2017
nickxtra:
Ok, thanks

Do as recommended. . .

Then remove the number of years your sister has worked from your post, that can make her traceable considering the "man fires at will".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by princeonx: 7:11am On Jan 22, 2017
She can ask the people that participated in the one that is cursing wahala upandown now.

The name is em, em, em!! Na juoke I dey juoke oh before they chop my head! grin
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Maxymilliano(m): 7:11am On Jan 22, 2017
Melahou:

LIRS and not FIRS

LIRS for an Abuja based organizations

10 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by chrisxxx(m): 7:14am On Jan 22, 2017
It doesn't work. The MD settles pencom and firs. Once they have been settled at the detriment of fellow Nigerians they will provide them with way of avoiding paying the pension. I know what I talking about.
A typical example of what they do is to give appointment letter to their children, close relatives as employees and some few trusted members of staff and register as evidence of compliance with full collaboration of top officials of pencom and firs.

3 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by nmreports: 7:15am On Jan 22, 2017
Hmmm
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by TWoods(m): 7:18am On Jan 22, 2017
nickxtra:

And the situation the staff find themselves is that they are afraid to confront the company, as the MD fires staff at will, especially when you discuss issues like this with him. The staff live in fear and are at the mercy of the MD who runs the company as it pleases him, even when it negates professional and etnical standards.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. You live in a jungle, not a country.

4 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Einl(m): 7:19am On Jan 22, 2017
It is criminal. He could be arrested. Report to EFCC or ICPC or to NLC.

2 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Ishilove: 7:21am On Jan 22, 2017
TWoods:

Nigeria is worse than a jungle. We keep screaming Nigeria is bad!... but who is Nigeria? Are we not Nigeria?

We the citizens are even worse than the government we daily condemn.

8 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by ollaxworld: 7:26am On Jan 22, 2017
The National Pension Commission is the sole body that administers pension fund contributions, hence, it is the only body that you could write.

Besides, for any month your Employer fails to deduct and remit pension contributions into the employees retirement savings account, such employer will be liable to pay the total outstanding pension liabilities with interest penalties.

3 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Aroh48(m): 7:27am On Jan 22, 2017
TWoods:

Either jungle or zoo is an understatement to what Nigeria can be called.

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by yomalex(m): 7:34am On Jan 22, 2017
Na wa o
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Faheedat: 7:38am On Jan 22, 2017
I need some clarificaion from the workers-------
1. Do you belong to a union?
2. Are you a financial member?
3. Your union membership registered with branch,Zonal and National body?
if all the are yes,then advice your leadership to write and dothe needful because it is only the Union that can address our case.
Regards
Comrade Adigun

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by omowolewa: 7:39am On Jan 22, 2017
I doubt if there is much she can do. I believe her boss was aware that the scheme is mandatory and prepared to bribe his way through. The best she can do is to fight for non remittance of deductions on her salary for pension purpose, if any.

Nigerian Pension Scheme self na risk. Life expectancy 58, retirement age 60. The mandatory payment is gratuity, other contributions are spread on years above Nigeria life expectancy, actuarial valuation they call it.

Rate of returns uncertain. Access to your fund is after age 50 (to collect some part in advance).

Pray hard you live long to enjoy your savings / pension else collect it now when you alive.

seunoni34:
Lol and here I am praying that my employer can stop deducting pension and add it back to my salary. The truth is, except you're working for a federal government agency pension payment and deduction is needless! .
If you don't know how to save money now, don't think your pension that you can't have access to till you're 50+ will do you any good.

LEARN to save on your own and create investment plans for yourself.

Sometimes I look at my ibtc pension balance and it just pains me that I can't access it till I'm 50+. And I'm sure by then I'll have to go through 7 hills and 7 Valleys and mountains to get even half of it, because those pension schemes won't just part with it that easily...

Pension is a big scam!
I doubt if there is much she can do. I believe her boss was aware that the scheme is mandatory and prepared for the implication. The best she can do is to fight for non remittance of deductions on her salary for pension purpose, if any.

Nigerian Pension Scheme self na risk. Life expectancy 58, retirement age 60, compulsory payment, gratuity. Others are spread on life expectancy of minus 2.

Rate of returns uncertain. Access to your fund, after age 50 (to collect part in advance).

Pray hard you live long to enjoy your savings / pension else collect it now when you alive.

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by micklplus(m): 8:06am On Jan 22, 2017
omowolewa:

Nigerian Pension Scheme self na risk. Life expectancy 58, retirement age 60, compulsory payment, gratuity. Others are spread on life expectancy of minus 2.

Rate of returns uncertain. Access to your fund, after age 50 (to collect part in advance).

Don't generalise. The reformed pension act 2014 is trusted and tested

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by micklplus(m): 8:08am On Jan 22, 2017
chrisxxx:
It doesn't work. The MD settles pencom and firs. Once they have been settled at the detriment of fellow Nigerians they will provide them with way of avoiding paying the pension. I know what I talking about.
A typical example of what they do is to give appointment letter to their children, close relatives as employees and some few trusted members of staff and register as evidence of compliance with full collaboration of top officials of pencom and firs.

No. Once the case is reported to Pencom, solution WILL come. Pencom don't play with non remittance of pension deductions.

3 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by micklplus(m): 8:11am On Jan 22, 2017
Faheedat:
I need some clarificaion from the workers-------
1. Do you belong to a union?
2. Are you a financial member?
3. Your union membership registered with branch,Zonal and National body?
if all the are yes,then advice your leadership to write and dothe needful because it is only the Union that can address our case.
Regards
Comrade Adigun

This route is very supported. It's a good solution.

The union would have it resolved quickly
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by chiraqDemon(m): 8:19am On Jan 22, 2017
nickxtra:

Jesus why are nigerians like this
Let the sis go and discuss it with the MD
It is in her letter of employment and if she gets sacked she can sue....all she to do is find proof of the boss's refusal to do the right thing and believe me her case will take off in court
Its why the courts are there; so that u can sue when ur employer decides to breach the terms of employment.
Nigerians, always having housegirl mentality and being afraid of their bosses since 1512
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by chiraqDemon(m): 8:23am On Jan 22, 2017
Aroh48:
Either jungle or zoo is an understatement to what Nigeria can be called.
No its not like that
Nigerians dont like taking matters up...
Once u do u notice that matters actually get address3d contrary to what u think
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by medacares: 8:50am On Jan 22, 2017
nickxtra:

Tell your sister to write an anonymous letter to National pension commission HQ Abuja disclosing all these. The company will be forced to pay. If he refuses, they will charge him to court.

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by micklplus(m): 8:59am On Jan 22, 2017
medacares:

Tell your sister to write an anonymous letter to National pension commission HQ Abuja disclosing all these. The company will be forced to pay. If he refuses, they will charge him to court.

Correct

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by raydatluvs(m): 8:59am On Jan 22, 2017
I don't understand people with this 'penny wise, pound foolish mentality' . The day his luck will run out, he would blame all what not..
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by ibkn(m): 9:05am On Jan 22, 2017
report the organization to pencom.. they will process it for him

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Kpakorich: 9:48am On Jan 22, 2017
Just walk to Brèkétè Family, with them that issue is completely settled. Our Ordinary President(Ordinary Ahmed Isa) will just swing his lawyers to action with no delay. FOC..
No charge all...

He fights for ordinary Nigerians. He is a no-nonsense man. It's is crystal clear that the MD has given those people some *closemouth* offering.

2 Likes

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 22, 2017
1.Send a petition to pencom
2.or tweet them @PenComNg
3. Tweet @pensionissues
They will pick up from there and the issue can be resolve in less than a week.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by Electronzeez(m): 10:52am On Jan 22, 2017
Melahou:

LIRS and not FIRS

All you care about is to fill up the front sit roll , yet you don't understand a thing the poster was saying .

Lagos internal revenue service for an Abuja company . Dont lie it was a mistake because you were trying to correct someone .
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by seunoni34(m): 11:42am On Jan 22, 2017
Lol and here I am praying that my employer can stop deducting pension and add it back to my salary. The truth is, except you're working for a federal government agency pension payment and deduction is needless! .
If you don't know how to save money now, don't think your pension that you can't have access to till you're 50+ will do you any good.

LEARN to save on your own and create investment plans for yourself.

Sometimes I look at my ibtc pension balance and it just pains me that I can't access it till I'm 50+. And I'm sure by then I'll have to go through 7 hills and 7 Valleys and mountains to get even half of it, because those pension schemes won't just part with it that easily...

Pension is a big scam!
Re: How Does she Handle her Company's Refusal To Register staff For Pension Scheme? by omowolewa: 12:29pm On Jan 22, 2017
micklplus:

Don't generalise. The reformed pension act 2014 is trusted and tested
Okay

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Management Professional Exam Is Ideal To Start With As A Banker? / Memoirs Of A Job Hunter / The 20 Things You Need To Accomplish In Your 20s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.