Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission (15528 Views)

Automatic Or Manual / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / Let's Talk About Automatic Transmission Fluid (gear Oil) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by penzino(m): 7:21am On Jan 21, 2017
Within the town Automatic, when on transit MANUAL.. .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by eezomatic: 7:21am On Jan 21, 2017
it still baffles me how some people will choose a manual shift over auto....someone even said automatic gears are old school...I give up. .bro, go for auto gear, you'll love it, you'd only have to use one of your legs in auto, instead of using your 2 legs and 1 hand at the same time in manual

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by penzino(m): 7:22am On Jan 21, 2017
HAH:
Auto is the trend, most people that use manual cars are either broke or conservative, why buy something that you must labour to drive, shifting wahala in go slow.

In America and middle east people hardly buy manual cars, it's only in suffer head nations like UK that you see lot of manual cars on the road.

Bros you are buying a mecedes that means you are going for luxury, if so why thinking of manual car
better know that a lot of high-end cars come with manual transmission systems. .. I bet u didn't know

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by abibun: 7:24am On Jan 21, 2017
Guy it all depends on what you want.
If na speed go for manual,for convenience go for automatic. Also have it at the back of your mind that Benz c180 manual gear box is not up to 15k while automatic gear box is about 70k with routine maintenance.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by solidman59(m): 7:26am On Jan 21, 2017
AfonjasMustDie:

What a stupid question

Which one is better ?? Nokia 3310 or IPhone 7 ??

Automatic is old school and comes with a lot of issues

Manual is an upgrade which a lot better than automatic

Dude, seriously?? Your brain needs an upgrade

6 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by HAH: 7:31am On Jan 21, 2017
penzino:
better know that a lot of high-end cars come with manual transmission systems. .. I bet u didn't know
I know some cars come mainly with manual gears like racing cars because the riders want to be in control but be truthful to yourself which easier to drive and luxurious, unless one doesn't have money for auto cars because manual are cheaper to buy. do you wonder why most cars at car stand or auctions now are autos. Bros the world is moving forward not backward, we are now talking of virtual reality you want to be driving manual cars
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by penzino(m): 7:37am On Jan 21, 2017
HAH:
I know some cars come mainly with manual gears like racing cars because the riders want to be in control but be truthful to yourself which easier to drive and luxurious, unless one doesn't have money for auto cars because manual are cheaper to buy. do you wonder why most cars at car stand or auctions now are autos. Bros the world is moving forward not backward, we are now talking of virtual reality you want to be driving manual cars
bro for me ehhhn, if am within town I would prefer an auto, but when am traveling, manual all the way.. .. That's for me.
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by loomer: 7:41am On Jan 21, 2017
The only reason why automatic gear vehicles dey sell for naija is because good roads scarce.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by HAH: 7:44am On Jan 21, 2017
penzino:
bro for me ehhhn, if am within town I would prefer an auto, but when am traveling, manual all the way.. .. That's for me.
now you are talking, the young man want to buy a car, probably his first and you want him to go for manual. As you said when travelling manual will give you control of your pace and you don't shift frequently like within town
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by muller102(m): 8:14am On Jan 21, 2017
Go for semi automatic
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by gbagyiza: 8:16am On Jan 21, 2017
As an automotive trainer , I will use just few words to advice you to go for manual drive if actually u can't be able to buy a new automatic gearbox when its trouble starts.do, very comfortable n eazi to use n also its life span is increased by your ability to follow its manufacturer spec regarding it use.note also that competent technicians for auto gearbox repairs r rare, so all you hear when its faulty, is that you need to change d complete gearbox.
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by correctguy101(m): 8:17am On Jan 21, 2017
dyabman:
This one na post ?
grin angry
dyabman:
This one na post ?
grin
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Asegzy: 8:26am On Jan 21, 2017
So in love with my manual BMW E46 car. Can't trust an auto while overtaking smiley

1 Share

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Bullet1234(m): 8:29am On Jan 21, 2017
This might be out of the question but still need to put it out.
Advantages of manual
If you pass your driving test with manual, you can drive both manual and Automatic but if you pass with Automatic, you aren't allowed to drive manual. UK and Ireland system... don't know about other countries.

Manual cars keep you busy while automatic makes one lazy and you can easily fall asleep while driving automatic cars as you have next to no job to do than accelerate... but with manual you have more to do... knowing the right time to clutch and change gear. Etc.

Though Automatic cars tend to be more expensive than manual cars of same make and model.
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by dukeo(m): 8:39am On Jan 21, 2017
hopey8088:
Pls I want to buy a mercedes benz c180 and I am wondering which one I should go for, manual or auto transmission. Pls experts give your advice and reasons pls.

If you can drive manual, buy it and reduce your car trouble (experience)
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by kayelm87(m): 8:46am On Jan 21, 2017
I love manual transmission vehicles, but my experience in LAGOS yesterday, even I won't advice my enemy to buy manual. Gegely buy automatic transmission and save urself the stress

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Joshcoli(m): 9:23am On Jan 21, 2017
The only issue with a manual car is the Lagos traffic... Anything to boost your ego, make you feel incharge, have full control of your car is manual.

You can even save fuel with manual, when at top speed just press your clutch and allow the car to glide your engine will rev @ 10 which is fuel economical and maintenance of manual is low but at least you will need to change your clutch disk atleast every 4 month for sharp movement (that is if you stay in Lagos)

But if you reside in Lagos, please go for automatic. Lagos is a stressful town dont add to the stress biko
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by kaydee(m): 9:25am On Jan 21, 2017
Stick shifts are cheaper in Nigeria and rarely have gear problems. If you have friends who always want to drive your car,the stick will discourage them. I drive a stick. It's more fun for me. I had the option of An auto when I got my car but I opted for shift.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Fastlinkpro: 9:27am On Jan 21, 2017
AfonjasMustDie:

What a stupid question

Which one is better ?? Nokia 3310 or IPhone 7 ??

Automatic is old school and comes with a lot of issues

Manual is an upgrade which a lot better than automatic

Don't talk to people anyhow, not everyone take that

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by emmayayodeji(m): 9:33am On Jan 21, 2017
eezomatic:
it still baffles me how some people will choose a manual shift over auto....someone even said automatic gears are old school...I give up. .bro, go for auto gear, you'll love it, you'd only have to use one of your legs in auto, instead of using your 2 legs and 1 hand at the same time in manual
Manual cars are real cars grin grin grin grin ull know ure driving

AUtomatic be like video game to me

even if i wan buy gwagon tmao na manual ohh
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by eezomatic: 9:35am On Jan 21, 2017
Bro, you funny ooo...G wagon for manual. ..I salute you sir

emmayayodeji:
Manual cars are real cars grin grin grin grin ull know ure driving

AUtomatic be like video game to me

even if i wan buy gwagon tmao na manual ohh
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by emmayayodeji(m): 9:37am On Jan 21, 2017
eezomatic:
Bro, you funny ooo...G wagon for manual. ..I salute you sir

bruh if u wan buy any car

them fit provide manual or automatic for you

if u have the right dealer

so what are u saying??

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by LEXYCOM: 9:40am On Jan 21, 2017
If u need to escape police chasing u, get manual. If u want police to catch up with u, get auto......before auto change gear, I don enter gear five for manual.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by akinszz: 10:02am On Jan 21, 2017
And in germany they use manual than auto.
HAH:
Auto is the trend, most people that use manual cars are either broke or conservative, why buy something that you must labour to drive, shifting wahala in go slow.

In America and middle east people hardly buy manual cars, it's only in suffer head nations like UK that you see lot of manual cars on the road.

Bros you are buying a mecedes that means you are going for luxury, if so why thinking of manual car
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Richy4(m): 10:23am On Jan 21, 2017
hopey8088:
Pls I want to buy a mercedes benz c180 and I am wondering which one I should go for, manual or auto transmission. Pls experts give your advice and reasons pls.

Dear, the whole thing is about choice...Some people like Manual transmission and can give you 20 reasons.....Some like Automatic and can give you 20 reasons too....At the end of the day, it came back to you to make the decision....I for one have never driven a manual car except when I was learning..which was long time ago....It was my choice because I hate stress of shifting gear to gear....Why not just kick start the car, bring down the handbrake, put your legs at the accelerator and drive away.....Apply pressure when needed with your legs... No stress, no worries....

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by TheBawse(m): 10:28am On Jan 21, 2017
hopey8088:

For me auto transmission.
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by kidman96(m): 10:37am On Jan 21, 2017
hopey8088:

This is 2017 and you are still considering manual?

Guy buy auto abeg.
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by HBola(m): 11:55am On Jan 21, 2017
Buy a car with automatic transmission, you'll enjoy the ease of driving it. For those saying that auto is bad, they know less about cars in general and mostly think about older cars of the 80s and 90s, most cars of the 2000s with auto transmissions are better. Auto transmission has gotten good over time and recent cars with auto transmission have better fuel efficiency than their manual counterparts. If you want to verify this you can do a Google search on it. Manual is becoming a scarce option especially with cars from all over the world except Europe where there are a lot of manual vehicles and mostly vehicles in Europe have diesel engines for fuel economy and because it's cheaper than petrol over there. In older cars with a switch for OD(over drive) make sure that it is turned on so that the car can use the highest gear while travelling at highway speeds for better fuel economy and to reduce stress on the engine. Also to overtake, while the vehicle is in motion, press the accelerator pedal to the floor, this will activate the kickdown switch, you car will drop down a gear which will increase the engine's RPM and give you a boost of acceleration to speed up and the car will change back to a higher gear appropriately.
Also avoid cars with CVT, they are a type of auto transmission but I have less faith in them. The regular auto with torque converter and and planetary gears are better. Although Mercedes does not have CVT transmission in any of Thier cars, this is usually common in Nissan products and recently Toyota in some of their latest cars.
The bane is of most transmission either CVT or the regular one is bad maintenance. Always ensure that you use the manufacturer recommended types of oil and fluids when servicing them to avoid problems. you can find the specifications in the owners manual, always take time to read it so that one mechanic will not tell you what is not. With these, you shouldn't have much problem, but another important thing is that these vehicles may have been abused by their former owner and there's no good way to really know until you encounter problems but do your best in proper care and maintenance and the vehicle will serve you well. Don't wait until the parts fail before you repair, always be proactive and do preventative maintenance.

Silver.

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by bigboa: 12:05pm On Jan 21, 2017
Dear OP, you should buy one based on your expertise and driving style imho. If you just like to get from point A to point B with minimal fuss (like me), Auto shifter please. If you love engaged driving, stunts and a feeling of total control, then get a manual shifter. Also, I think this is kinda unnecessary (the prevarication) because a lot of modern auto shifters are steptronic ie you can change to manual mode and shift the gears yourself rather than rely on the cars computer.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Wristler: 12:18pm On Jan 21, 2017
It's understandable how proponents of Auto transmission only complain of Manual transmissions being Stressful, in defence of Auto.

The only tenable condition is a serious traffic lockdown and even at there may be a way round it (putting the gear in manual in favorable moments).

Above all, the more experienced you become with Manual transmission, the lesser the stress you feel and the more ways you can go round the stresses.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 21, 2017
Kingjite:
go 4 manual transmission
why I thought auto was better?
Re: Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 21, 2017
bigboa:
Dear OP, you should buy one based on your expertise and driving style imho. If you just like to get from point A to point B with minimal fuss (like me), Auto shifter please. If you love engaged driving, stunts and a feeling of total control, then get a manual shifter. Also, I think this is kinda unnecessary (the prevarication) because a lot of modern auto shifters are steptronic ie you can change to manual mode and shift the gears yourself rather than rely on the cars computer.
I wondered the difference?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? / Photos: Dangers Of Potholes And How To Handle It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.