Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,749 members, 7,820,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? (543 Views)

Church Resumption: Guidelines By Catholic Archdiocese Of Lagos / Adewale Martins: Mbaka May Be Barred From Preaching By Catholic / Pastor Lawrence Onochie Disguised As Beggar, Went To His Own Church, Was Snubbed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by bollify(m): 1:35pm On Jan 22, 2017
So I have this little argument with a friend as regard not letting denominational or even religion disparity determined the person she get married to. I won't like to go into the details of our argument, since that is not the reason for creating this thread.

On the course of our discussions, she claimed that Catholic church was personally founded by Jesus and that it's first pope was Saint Peter. This made me launch into the Internet and straight up to Google to confirm what she just claimed.

I observed on the course of my search that the Catholic (Roman) have been claiming this for years. Not satisfied with what I get from Google, I decided to come here knowing fully well that a lot of persons here are well grounded in these things.

So I ask, is the claim by Catholic true or false? If you feel it's the truth, please back it up with some facts, either from the bible or otherwise. If you feel it is a false claim, please back it up with fact either from the bible or otherwise.

Thanks
Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by kio052001(m): 1:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
when u go to Jerusalemon for holy visit every Christian form a queue first the Catholics followed by any order Christian like religion u can ask any body who has been there
Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by bollify(m): 2:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
kiss
kio052001:
when u go to Jerusalemon for holy visit every Christian form a queue first the Catholics followed by any order Christian like religion u can ask any body who has been there

So is this a proof that Jesus Christ founded Catholic and it's first pope is Peter?
Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by menxer: 2:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
I don't have a straight forward answer but questions:

1) Why is the HQ of Catholic church in Rome and not Israel, if it was founded by Jesus?

2) if Paul was taken to Rome a prisoner, when did Peter transit to the Papal palace at a time Christians were persecuted and martyred?

3) if Jesus founded the Catholic Church with Peter as Pope, why was the bible scriptures suppressed by the said Church?

4) if the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus, why are there no similarities with the Jewish religious worship but so much similarities with the Cult of Mithras (ancient Roman religious practices)?
Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by JKisOK(m): 2:28pm On Jan 22, 2017
HELP SAVE 11-YEAR OLD TEMITOPE, WHO NEEDS N12 MILLION FOR A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
Please, follow the link below (with photos) and help save a poor soul. You may visit her at the address in the body of the story, in order to authenticate the story. God bless you.

https://www.nairaland.com/3585795/sos-11-year-old-temitope-needs

Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by kio052001(m): 2:37pm On Jan 22, 2017
menxer:

1) Why is the HQ of Catholic church in Rome and not Israel, if it was founded by Jesus?

we all know the truth behind how Israel of today came to be and if u don't please Googleis ya friend

menxer:

2) if Paul was taken to Rome a prisoner, when did Peter transit to the Papal palace at a time Christians were persecuted and martyred?

this is exactly what happened between John the Baptist and Jesus Christ that is to say Christ began His work as soon as John was arrested

menxer:

3) if Jesus founded the Catholic Church with Peter as Pope, why was the bible scriptures suppressed by the said Church?

there is always a reason, a very good one for that matter, few days ago a boy pictured himself tearing pages of the Bible to do the devil's bid (oh! our God is a merciful God) what if the then priests where trying to prevent something similar from happening

menxer:

4) if the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus, why are there no similarities with the Jewish religious worship but so much similarities with the Cult of Mithras (ancient Roman religious practices)?

I was born a Catholic and very much happy I'm still a Catholic
the Anglican came to be because the then king wanted a new wife, of which the Catholic Church didn't and will still not support, he ordered that all the priest who didn't support him be kill. some of the priest escaped to Rome for protection, those who supported him came together to form Anglican but today not only do their men and women marry and also get divorced, they also practice homosexuality.

my friend people will also be mislead

the ways of the Lord (God Almighty) are not that of man

1 Like

Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by bollify(m): 3:18pm On Jan 22, 2017
menxer:

Very valid questions.

1 Like

Re: How True Is The Claim By Catholic That It's Church Was Established By Christ? by Syncan(m): 11:06am On Jan 23, 2017
menxer:

1. In the early life of the church, Jerusalem was actually the Headquarters. You can see this from Paul's travel back to Jerusalem to give account of his work to Peter and co Gal.2, or as seen in the record of the first ever Church council held in Acts 15. However because the World's Headquarters at the time was Rome, and the fact that Peter lived his last days there and died there, the church in Rome gradually became the recognized administrative headquarters of the church.

2. Paul was not taken to Rome because of the persecution of the Romans, no,according to Acts.25, he was taken there as a prisoner because he appealed to Caesar, due to the persecution from his own people. If you check 1Pet.5:13, You will see thus: “The Church here in Babylon, united with you by God’s election, sends you her greeting, and so does my son, Mark”, Peter wrote from Rome, Babylon was the code-name for Rome at the time, it's common among historians to say that mark wrote his Gospel in Rome under Peter's commission.

3. The Church compiled and canonized scriptures for the use of all, however the church limited the private reading of scripture to the "learned" in theology, these where the clergies, who then read and interpret to the people, because she believes that to read and interpret scripture properly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, there must be three things to fulfill:
a) it must be read with attention to the content and unity of the whole of Scripture;
b) it must be read within the living Tradition of the Church;
c) it must be read with attention to the analogy of faith, that is, the inner harmony which exists among the truths of the faith themselves.

It is the failure to abide by this that has led to the "tower of babel" we now have in Christendom. St. Peter warned about this in 2Pet.3:16

4. This is a false claim, it holds no weight.

I hope i have been of help sir.

(1) (Reply)

Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / Deeperlife Pastor Found 706 Carat Diamond In Sierra Leone And Gave It To Govt. / And God Said: Let There Be Light!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.