Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Javafx or Swing? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javafx or Swing? (1441 Views)

A Simple Tic-tac-toe Game Using Javafx / Developing Enterprise Application With Javafx / Porting Javafx Application To Android [tutorial] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Javafx or Swing? by onedayatime(m): 5:37pm On Jan 22, 2017
which of the java frameworks do you use and which is better? I use javafx lately but I still have people who argue that swing is better than fx.
Re: Javafx or Swing? by asalimpo(m): 6:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
fx is the way to swing now. Swing is old school. That's how oracle wants you to think bout it now.
Re: Javafx or Swing? by olyjosh(m): 7:09pm On Jan 22, 2017
Nope. Javafx is far better than Swing.
Re: Javafx or Swing? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jan 23, 2017
onedayatime:
which of the java frameworks do you use and which is better? I use javafx lately but I still have people who argue that swing is better than fx.

Is it for work or learning if work I'd say go for swing Javafx is way better but there are fewer support for Javafx and resources than Swing however if it's personal learning I'd say neither desktop native apps are rare you can use Electron (though I hate how it consumes memory alot)
Re: Javafx or Swing? by talk2hb1(m): 9:46am On Jan 23, 2017
pcguru1:

Is it for work or learning if work I'd say go for swing Javafx is way better but there are fewer support for Javafx and resources than Swing however if it's personal learning I'd say neither desktop native apps are rare you can use Electron (though I hate how it consumes memory alot)
Hi @pcguru is it because there are not enough suport for JavaFx or any other reason?
I am usd to swing but might be moving fully into javafx
Re: Javafx or Swing? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 23, 2017
talk2hb1:

Hi @pcguru is it because there are not enough suport for JavaFx or any other reason?
I am usd to swing but might be moving fully into javafx

Fx came out a long time after Swing was implemented just like WPF, so many legacy apps in Swing already is this for personal project or work related ?
Yes it's mostly that reason you can though if you UX/UI is key in your desktop application
Re: Javafx or Swing? by onedayatime(m): 8:31pm On Jan 23, 2017
pcguru1:

Fx came out a long time after Swing was implemented just like WPF, so many legacy apps in Swing already is this for personal project or work related ?
Yes it's mostly that reason you can though if you UX/UI is key in your desktop application
but what of new project? Will you still prefer swing?
Re: Javafx or Swing? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 23, 2017
onedayatime:

but what of new project? Will you still prefer swing?

I would go with Javafx just to see what it offers I've never coded in it before that's me sha.
Re: Javafx or Swing? by olyjosh(m): 11:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
I have done swing for so long before switching to javafx. Verily, verily I said unto you, you may curse guys at oracle for bringing in swing before fx if you understand javafx perfectly. Among those few thing I fancy most apart from the flexibility in been able to style your UI (with style sheet - CSS) are:

- binding: the way binding is done here makes everything simpler. some logics are better writing in few lines here.
- Collection : ObservableList and ObservableListArray. Just like the names sound, they are observable. They are bidirectionally bonded to your views such that if u alter from the view or model, you don't need any extra work or code to commit changes on the view or model. That reminds me of the hell operation you have to go through in swing before you can come up with table using jTable..., how you need to do some overriding just to get row count or column count of a table in swing.
(DefaultTableModel, TableModel) you can have these as something like ObservableList<MyModelClass>.
- Effects and Animation are just too simple and cool
Re: Javafx or Swing? by talk2hb1(m): 11:04am On Jan 24, 2017
pcguru1:

Thanks, but I am too used to the swing to even consider JavaFx. I will consider looking into it

(1) (Reply)

Learn ASP.NET MVC 5 Live And Direct On Nairaland. / I Need A Web Designer In Portharcourt / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.