Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,111 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:34 AM

First Rand Bank Still Eyeing A Nigerian Bank Acquisition - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / First Rand Bank Still Eyeing A Nigerian Bank Acquisition (682 Views)

How Do I Transfer RMB On My Wechat To My Nigerian Bank Account / Which Nigerian Bank Is The Best To Save A Percentage Of My Monthly Income / Diamond Bank Denies Access Bank Acquisition Rumours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Rand Bank Still Eyeing A Nigerian Bank Acquisition by freshinsightng: 6:10pm On Jan 22, 2017
First Rand Ltd, Africa’s largest bank is seeking to acquire a mid-sized bank in Nigeria, to help fund Rand Merchant Bank’s operations in the country. Rand Merchant Bank is its investment banking subsidiary and has been operating in Nigeria since 2012. The bank considers Nigeria as a market, too important to ignore.

The bank which was in talks to buy Sterling Bank Plc in 2011, walked away because the asking price was too much. Talks with two other lenders collapsed due to issues surrounding the valuation of assets; or the amount of provisions set aside for bad and doubtful debts.

First Rand is seeing opportunities during Nigeria’s economic crises, as it presents a buying opportunity. According to its Chairman, Laurie Dippenaar, the bank is still considering one other target and would prefer an institution with a large branch network.

“Deals crop up,” Dippenaar, 68, said in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. “And the tougher it gets with the oil price, we get approached.”

Nigeria is currently battling an economic crises that has resulted in its first recession in over 25 years. A drastic fall in oil prices in addition to wrong policies has led to a plunge in the Naira value; and foreign currency shortages. This has affected its small and medium sized banks; with bad loans above the regulatory limit and capital adequacy ratios declining.

STOCK VALUATIONS

The Nigerian Stock exchange declined 6.12% (approx 40% in dollars) in 2016; as a result of the troubling economy and exit of foreign investors from the market.

Most bank shares declined in prices with some having steep declines of more than 40%.

First Rand would be open to recapitalizing a bank if needed as part of the acquisition deal, according to Dippenaar, declining to be specific on which bank they are targeting.

“We’re not going to make a reckless decision or grossly overpay, “We’ll keep looking until we find something that fits” he emphasized.

Re: First Rand Bank Still Eyeing A Nigerian Bank Acquisition by ernie4life(m): 6:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
They should buy keystone nah
Re: First Rand Bank Still Eyeing A Nigerian Bank Acquisition by freshinsightng: 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
ernie4life:

Bros, do you work in keystone?, this one you dey hustle for buyer
Re: First Rand Bank Still Eyeing A Nigerian Bank Acquisition by Chriswazo(m): 6:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
ernie4life:

gringringringringrin

(1) (Reply)

Tell Them About It!!!!(bitcoin Users) / How Can I Use The New Tbc Exchange Site In Nigeria-tbc Money-to Exchange My Tbc / How Do I Make At Least 20k Weekly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.