Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Abel's Journal 2. (My Ex Girlfriend On My Mind) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Abel's Journal 2. (My Ex Girlfriend On My Mind) (590 Views)

Love Is A Game By Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abel's Journal 2. (My Ex Girlfriend On My Mind) by jbgeorge: 9:19pm On Jan 22, 2017
My ex girlfriend on my mind...

Sitting behind my desk in the office, I close my eyes to reflect on my life over the last three months. Yes, for three months I have had the best time of my life at my place of work. I had a good relationship with my boss and my colleagues. Everyday I couldn't help but thank God for bringing me this far.

My mind flashed to my ex girlfriend, Oluchi. We had been course mates at the university of Abuja,in fact for us it had been love at first sight although at this moment I am convinced that I loved her more and still do. We had been inseparable,almost everything we did together,lecturers often jokingly told us that they were waiting for an invite to our wedding. Our families knew each other well. I was so fond of her mum and she of mine. Both our fathers had died when we were very young. Truthfully,I and Oluchi were the perfect couple in our own perfect little world!

Youth service came and we were separated by distance but united by phone calls and the social media platforms. After our youth service, Oluchi was fortunate to get a job in one of the banks in Abuja after being in the labour market for just 3 months. Unfortunately for me, getting a job had been tough! The few I saw were not well paying and were so far away from my abode,taking such would have meant me working for commercial commuters. I had to depend on my mum for everything.....my mother, my sweet,sweet, mother. Let me leave Oluchi a little for now to talk about my mother.

My mother Mrs. Osita is one strong willed woman I will forever live to admire. I am the first of four children, a younger brother and two younger sisters. Our father died twenty years ago when I was just a fifteen year old kid in my final year in secondary school, in fact, I was already writing my waec exams when my father was taken by the cold hands of death. I recall just like yesterday that I had my English Language exam the day my father died. I had returned home to see my younger siblings crying profusely and my mum uncontrollably, it dawned on me,without being told that my dear father had finished his long fight against diabetics, it was a day that would forever remain the saddest day of my life!

Mum became both parents to us, she brought us up well I must say,to be responsible adults. Being a teacher herself, she loves education so much and was so passionate about our being educated up to the university level. Today, I and my siblings are all graduates,all thanks to our wonderful super mum.

Well back to my girlfriend,as I said earlier, she's on my mind. Things had been going so well for us until three years into my joblessness. Oluchi suddenly changed her attitude towards me,she stopped picking my calls nor replying my chats even after reading them. I was forced to go to her house one faithful day which was a long distance from where I stayed. I remember I had used the last one thousand naira I had on me that day. Fortunately for me I met her at home but surprisingly her face registered not an iota of excitement at seeing me after a long while. Our conversation that day remains ever green.

"Sweetheart not even a hug?" I had asked her attempting to pull her into my arms but she withdrew.
" You didn't tell me you were coming"
"Is that why you wouldn't hug me?" I asked as I patted her right cheek playfully.
" You took me by surprise" she said as she led the way into their living room. Looking around I noticed positive changes. The living room had been repainted, the chairs changed, a nice 42 inches flat screen TV hung on the wall. It all looked so good.
"Lovely changes" I said to her as I took my seat.
"That's what money does" she said and I noticed sarcasm in her words.
"I believe you made these changes yourself?"
" Who else?" She asked as she changed the TV channel to 'zee world'

I took a moment then to to scan the living room again, just last year when he had visited , everything in the living room were crying out for a change, they were properties they had had for so many years, the TV had been a 14 inches LG TV set,all the chairs were worn out,the paint on the wall was as dirty as dirty could be but now,the living room was totally transformed. The house was built by her father so many years ago, a three bedroom bungalow in front and one at the back where they had tenants. Her father had passed away sixteen years ago living behind her and three younger sisters. Her mum too was such a strong willed woman,making sure all her daughters got educated. How he admired strong willed women,women who were not dependent on men to.....

"So what brings you here" she suddenly asked bringing me back to the present.
"Haba babe,what kind of a question is that, can't I visit my girlfriend anymore? Besides you have not picked my calls nor responded to my chats for days on end now,why babe?"
"I work remember?"
"Meaning?" I asked as I had begun to get irritated at her attitude.
" Meaning I have been busy "
"Babe its unlike you and you know it,why the sudden change?" ......I asked as I stared at her,trying to read her expression."How about mum and your sisters." I asked as it dawned on me that I hadn't asked about them.
"Mum traveled and my sisters went out" Realizing we were alone, I went to sit beside her,putting my arm over her shoulder, she didn't pull away.
" Talk to me babe,I sense a withdrawal and I am not liking it one bit"
"Abel,I said I have been busy,busy with work and that's why you can come here and appreciate the changes"
"My dear,I don't like the way you are sounding,is this about my not getting a job till now?"
"If you think so"
"Its no fault of mine and you know it darling"
"Its my fault"
"The fact that you got a job three months after our service doesn't mean everyone could be that fortunate"
"Spare me that crap Abel,how many jobs did I help you find? "
"Those? Well if I must answer your question,three jobs, I went for the interviews and you know very well why I turned them down, there's no way I could work and at the end of the month every penny is used on transportation fare,if the company was closer home why not,I gladly would have taken the job"
" Will you be the first to work far from home with little salary, are you better than those who receive little salaries?"
"So my girlfriend would have wanted me to do such a job?"
"Abel,no one is saying you should die on the job but it would have been a stepping stone,it would have exposed you to better opportunities out there, now that you have been home all this while is your life better of?"
"Babe why are you talking like this?"
"I am being factual Abel,you should have taken the job,who knows you would have made friends,perhaps you would have seen a young guy like you who stays close to your place of work that would have accommodated you,you would have been better of now I am sure of that"
"And how are you so sure of that?"
"At least you wouldn't be wearing this shirt you have had since our university days" She said irritatingly! At that point,I took my arm off her,got to my feet and went back to the chair I had left. How those words stung me,at that point,I looked at my shirt,it had been a gift from my mum to me in my third year in the university. Tears threatened to roll down my cheeks but I fought it,I couldn't dare cry in front of her.
"I never believed you could say such hurtful words to me Oluchi"
"Well its high time you are told the truth and its not because I have a job and doing well"
"You don't have to put it to my face you are doing well,I can clearly see that"
"Good you know"
"Just say want you want to say to me Oluchi and stop beating round the bush,your not picking my calls or replying my chats are actions that have spoken louder than your voice but still I want to hear your voice.
"Abel, really I loved you back in out days in school,I wanted to settle down with you as your wife but I am sorry I don't see that happening anymore, its been three years we left the university and frankly I have not seen what you have done to make your life better in three Years which is a long time"
"That doesn't mean I am a lost cause Oluchi, no one knows tomorrow"
"Please save me that anthem,our tomorrow starts today,you have to make your today good for a better tomorrow"
"You spoke in past tense,you said you used to love me,meaning the love is gone all because I am jobless"
"You know my kind of person,you know I like ambitious people because I am one,I am a goal getter and a man who wants to be a part of my life should be one too,you lack drive Abel,you seem to be too comfortable in your comfort zone"
I am not and God knows I am doing everything within my power to change my situation"
"Be a man Abel and stop being dependant on your mum,for crying out loud she has done all she can by sending you to the university"
"My mum is not complaining"
"And that's where the problem lies, in her not complaining"
"So just like that you are saying its over between us?"
"Its being over ever since I stopped picking your calls"
"Is there someone else?"
"That's no business of yours but if you must know,none at the moment,I just want to move on without you,you don't seem to have a future Abel,I am sorry"
"I don't have a future?" I asked and this time a tear rolled down my cheek.
"The truth is bitter" she said as she changed the channel. Slowly I got to my feet, not wanting her to see me cry,at that instant,I realized I was really hungry,I had left home without taking breakfast,believing I was going to have lunch with Oluchi.
"It's alright Oluchi, I wish you all the best,I will take my leave now" I said not looking at her.
"I wish you the same,sorry but its best we move on"
"No problem,good bye" not waiting for a good bye from her,I rushed out of the house and it was then the tears rolled down my cheeks

*******************************************************************************************************************
"Bros your money" the cab driver asked as I alighted. I dipped my hand into my pocket and brought out the two hundred naira change I had left after spending eight hundred naira to get to Oluchi's place. At that moment I realized I was stranded,I had hoped that Oluchi would have helped me with money for my transportation back home but that was not to be,in fact asking her in that circumstance would have only added insult to the injury.
I brought out the two hundred naira bill and gave it to the driver.
"Oga your money na N300"
"I am sorry sir that's all I have,please"!
"I don't like things like this,why use your own to spoil my own?"
"Please sir I beg you,help me,I fit be your pikin" without another word,he drove off. I was stranded I needed six hundred naira to get home. In a flash,I remembered a neighbour had his shop some distance away,the only option I had to get home was to go to his shop and join him home in his car. It took me fourtty five minutes to walk to his shop.

That was two years ago and today for the first time Oluchi came to my mind,I loved her still. I took my phone and clicked on Facebook and went to her profile. She was still as beautiful as ever, going through her pictures, I could see she was doing well for herself,glowing skin,pretty clothes and some pictures were of her abroad. There was no indication of her being married,her status was still single. Is there a chance they could ever come back together? I wondered. My mind went back to our last time together,how she washed me down with such humiliating words but I have long forgiven her for the love I still have for her.

I picked up my phone and got out her number I still left stored as 'My forever' Should I call her, I asked myself, I decided to at least for old times sake. On the second ring,she picked. "Hello Oluchi" I said with a smile,Gosh! So long I heared her sweet voice.
"Hello,who is this?" She said in that same sweet voice of hers but that sweet voice ruined my day. With no further words,I hung up on her. She didn't even have my number again. At this moment,my anger made me boil. How could Oluchi just discard me like used tissue paper? Maybe she will call back... I thought.

Its one hour now since I called Oluchi and no return call from her, at least to know who had called her.'God why can't I just let this girl go?' I asked myself.

"Should I call her again?'

The story continues ........WATCH OUT FOR ABEL'S JOURNAL, PART 3.
Re: Abel's Journal 2. (My Ex Girlfriend On My Mind) by xaviercasmir(m): 10:01pm On Jan 22, 2017
just move on guy.
Re: Abel's Journal 2. (My Ex Girlfriend On My Mind) by Makom56(m): 10:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
in buhari's voice kwantinue

(1) (Reply)

Https://365dayswithoutborders./ / Maximize Your Talents: These Tips Will Help You Stand Out In Life. / Web Designer Available For,ur Author Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.