Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets (6812 Views)

Ondo Government Orders Closure Of All Markets / Coronavirus: FG Orders Closure Of Varsities, Schools Nationwide / Codeine Ban: Five Other Pharmaceutical Drugs Abused By Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lautechgossip(m): 7:28am On Jan 24, 2017
Worried by the nefarious activities of unqualified individuals in the trade and distribution of drugs , House of Representatives has mandated the Federal Ministry of Health and the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria, PCN, to immediately shut down all unregistered pharmaceutical shops within the country and discipline the culprits accordingly.

Pursuant to Act P17 LFN 2004 and other relevant Pharmacy and Drugs Laws of the Federation, the PCN has mandate to inspect, approve and license premises where pharmaceutical activities take place (manufacturing, importation, distribution,wholesale and retail pharmaceutical premises and patent and proprietary medicine vendors shops).

Deliberating on the “need to regulate the establishment of pharmaceutical shops and drug stores” on Thursday December 1, 2016, the House urged the “Federal Ministry of Health and the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria to commence inspection of all pharmaceutical shops with a view to closing down all those that are not duly registered and to carry out disciplinary measures against the defaulters”.

The House acknowledged the categories of pharmaceutical shops and the scope of their practice as well as the peculiar needs of each in terms of man power, equipment and premises specification but expressed concern that one-room apartment pharmaceutical shops, otherwise known as “chemist shops” exist in all sort of locations and buildings which lack basic facilities and in most cases manned by laymen.

Further, the House observed that some “spiritual and healing homes masquerading as worship centers or charity homes operate freely as drugs and medicines dispensaries, while some local manufacturers of drugs and medicines use all sorts of rickety vehicles to advertise and sell their drugs and medicines”, noting that these unprofessional ways of warehousing, distribution and dispensing of drugs and medicines serve as channels for the infiltration of quacks into the pharmacy profession and a major challenge to public health.

“The infiltration of the pharmaceutical practice by unqualified persons and the attendant unprofessional services being rendered by these people have resulted to the death of countless number of innocent Nigerians, not counting the economic losses due to the supply and purchase of fake, expired and unwholesome drugs and medicine”, the House said.

The Registrar of the PCN, Pharm. Elijah Mohammed, expressed gratitude to the House and said the resolution came at a time when the Council had stepped up its enforcement activities.

He acknowledged that it served to strengthen the Council influshingout the quacks and will help to win theneeded peace in the pharmacy practice environment.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/01/house-of-reps-orders-closure-of.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by SirHouloo(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2017
A very good development in the right direction. Imagine asking for ampiclox, because the chemist no get, she say make I try flaggyl, say na the same work dem dey do.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by soberdrunk(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2017
Chai!!! All the chemists where person dey buy condom 'on code' go soon shut down be that angry angry

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by George2016(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2017
Okay
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Ginaz(f): 7:32am On Jan 24, 2017
Good move, there was this pharmacy I saw while in P.H it looked horrible and there were just few dirty looking drugs all over the place.

I said to the woman I forgot the name of the drug I came to buy and hurriedly left with my life. Before they give me expired drug or ebola infested one.

3 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Corrinthians(m): 7:32am On Jan 24, 2017
Osus would suffer the most for this. We all know how prolific they are when it comes to fake drugs and and unregistered pharma 4*4 shops. cry

7 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by adegoody(m): 7:32am On Jan 24, 2017
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by information1: 7:34am On Jan 24, 2017
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Ginaz(f): 7:37am On Jan 24, 2017
soberdrunk:
Chai!!! All the chemists where person dey buy condom 'on code' go soon shut down be that angry angry

Chailll, if you be politician you go thief wel wel. You didn't comment like 3 minutes ago. You booked a space with a smiley. grin
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Nehemiah459(m): 7:39am On Jan 24, 2017
What of Patent drug stores?

Those guys are just good in administering injections and malaria tablets.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by jlinkd78(m): 7:40am On Jan 24, 2017
Great. Long overdue.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by emmieohmz: 7:40am On Jan 24, 2017
Its about tym
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by armadeo(m): 7:40am On Jan 24, 2017
This house sef !!!

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by xana101: 7:41am On Jan 24, 2017
Hope it won't affect chemist store
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by SmartMugu: 7:42am On Jan 24, 2017
Nice move. But immediately shutting them down will not work. They will find other means of selling their existing inventory.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by rxgodwin(m): 7:44am On Jan 24, 2017
Good one, if only the order wld b followed through

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Desdola(m): 7:46am On Jan 24, 2017
A very good decision. Hope they follow it to the latter. its not about enacting policies, but proper implementation of those policies
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by emmieohmz: 7:46am On Jan 24, 2017
I wonda y it took dem dis long to realise dis

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by sakalisis(m): 7:48am On Jan 24, 2017
Good
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Pavore9: 7:49am On Jan 24, 2017
Good! In Kenya, the minimum requirement needed to work even in a "chemist" is Diploma in Pharmacy .

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 24, 2017
Good move, would check mate all these quacks fronting as pharms and docs.
In other news.. .........

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by steppin: 7:53am On Jan 24, 2017
Waste of time. They're just gonna lock up the shops of a few unfortunate patent medicine stores and that's it.
They've knowingly allowed patent medicine stores operate close to pharmacies, sometimes the patent medicine dealers ends up running some struggling pharmacies out.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 24, 2017
The subtle war between napmed and pcn has finally been brought to light with the house on the side of pcn grin, i know alot of patent medicine dealers are going to get their license revoked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by mayorchelsea(m): 7:59am On Jan 24, 2017
Elijah Mohammed,The registrar of PCN,that name struck me.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lagusta(m): 8:01am On Jan 24, 2017
Please only mature replies....
I am a doc and I'm thinking of opening a pharmacy store.....
Please what are the prospects
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lagusta(m): 8:03am On Jan 24, 2017
mayorchelsea:
Elijah Mohammed,The registrar of PCN,that name struck me.

One of the founders of the nation of Islam......
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by ednut1(m): 8:10am On Jan 24, 2017
Ab0ki hawking drugs shud be arrested
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by aiboss: 8:17am On Jan 24, 2017
I don't care who this affects, even if they are my relatives, its a very welcomed development if properly carried out. Its high time we had qualified and certified individual run any health related establishments. Thousands die every year for taking expired, adulterated/fake drugs from people who thing drug business is all about buying and selling. This was what our glorious Dora Akunyili of blessed memory fought for during her time in NAFDAC.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by Lloydfather(m): 8:27am On Jan 24, 2017
This is a very good move if the agency in charge will not turn the action to their personal gain. the activities of some quack nurse operating chemist in my area. is worry some, this people will claimed to know cure to any type of sickness you brought to them. Not only that they ad Mister injection they also give drip to there patients. some of them go as far as turning their place to maternity home where pregnant women came to put to bed. The one that is broken my heart is one foolish one arround cemist bus stop at ojo Alaba area she turned her place to hospital. she admit both pregnant women and sick people there, and employed one girl she's training as nurse to look after them whenever she goes to hospital where she works. That lady should be arrest.
Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by ontolegit(m): 8:39am On Jan 24, 2017
The prospect is bright. U need to register adequately. I'm also interested,im a doc too,so let's brainstorm on this togetherquote author=Lagusta post=53078539]Please only mature replies....

I am a doc and I'm thinking of opening a pharmacy store.....

Please what are the prospects[/quote]

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Orders Closure Of Unregistered Pharmaceutical Outlets by mayorchelsea(m): 8:59am On Jan 24, 2017
Lagusta:

One of the founders of the nation of Islam......
What about the 'Elijah' part?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Minister Confirms Bird Flu Outbreak In Kano / Plz Help Am Having Frequent Urination / Help !!!! Please Help Save A Nairalanders Life This Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.