Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements (12500 Views)

Five Banks Spend N4.2bn On Directors In Six Months / MTN Nigeria Denies CBN Claims On Illegal Repatriation Of $8.1b / Top Five Banks Account For 47% Of Industry’s Impaired Credits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by thereturnoflucy(m): 6:19am On Jan 26, 2017
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said its foreign exchange utilisation records for banks showed a disbursement of $1.1 billion in November 2016.

However, of the 4,328 transactions in the period under review, five banks dominated the deals with 2,892, representing about 67 per cent of the total activity.

The development showed that CBN, despite its quest to increase reserves’ profile, sustained its forex market interventions, as a way to moderate Naira depreciation that is induced by demand pressure.

It also showed that while all the bank’s are participating in the forex market transactions, the bulk of the deals are mostly traded by few banks, particularly the big ones.

The banks with highest utilisation were First Bank of Nigeria, with 1,039 deals; Zenith Bank, 706; Stanbic IBTC, 397; Standard Chartered Bank of Nigeria, 389; and First City Monument Bank, 361.

Out of 25 financial institutions- commercial and merchant banks involved in the transactions, only 1,436 deals were left for the remaining 20 lenders.

A currency strategist in one of the banks with international operations confided in The Guardian that while the volume is commendable given the country’s earning capacity, it is still a far cry from industry demand.

Meanwhile, the apex bank yesterday asked lenders to bid in a special currency auction due soon, in efforts to clear backlog of demands from businesses.

The backlogs are particularly for fuel importers, airlines, raw-materials producers, and makers of agricultural chemicals and machinery for manufacturers.

In December 2016, CBN sold about $1 billion on the forward market to tackle the backlog of dollar demands, in an effort to support production and fulfill its pledge to the real sector operators.

Research analyst at FXTM, Lukman Otunuga, noted that CBN is aware that the nation still remains exposed to both external and internal risks, particularly exchange rate, despite improved outlook, which should keep the CBN on high alert.

“It must be understood that the cause behind the incessant rise in consumer prices is the disparity between the official and black market exchange,” he said.

http://t.guardian.ng/news/five-banks-dominate-cbns-1-1b-forex-disbursements/

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by pressplay411(m): 6:50am On Jan 26, 2017
Forex experts kindly translate to English.

I'm not surprised Zenith has the highest volume. Wasn't Emefiele the former GMD of Zenith bank?

Saying the disparity between official rate and black market rate is the cause of increasing cost of goods, doesn't that also mean banks still sell bulk of the currencies to BDC against instruction of CBN?

4 Likes

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by sylviaeo(f): 7:34am On Jan 27, 2017
This Grammar too much for me. somebody please KOWASHIATE
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by information1: 7:34am On Jan 27, 2017
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Yannny: 7:35am On Jan 27, 2017
pressplay411:

I'm not surprised Zenith has the highest volume. Wasn't Emefiele the former GMD of Zenith bank?

Saying the disparity between official rate and black market rate is the cause of increasing cost of goods, doesn't that also mean banks still sell bulk of the currencies to BDC against instruction of CBN?

I CONCUR TO YOUR PROPOSITIONS..
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by HarveySpecter1: 7:35am On Jan 27, 2017
It's a pity no one is regulating this shlt. The banks are selling to BDC for profits.

What a country!
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by 1Rebel: 7:37am On Jan 27, 2017
So we should fly?
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Yannny: 7:37am On Jan 27, 2017
Is it only me? I am beginning to feel BUHARI has Waja!
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by favourmic(m): 7:38am On Jan 27, 2017
Another scam

Tires of this story every time
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by joansteff(m): 7:39am On Jan 27, 2017
First bank or zenith. READ AGAIN but this time slowly.

quote author=pressplay411 post=53135943]Forex experts kindly translate to English.

Saying the disparity between official rate and black market rate is the cause of increasing cost of goods, doesn't that also mean banks still sell bulk of the currencies to BDC against instruction of CBN?[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by chukzyfcbb: 7:43am On Jan 27, 2017
pressplay411:

yes sire CBN sells to bank at say $1-302 while bank sells to bdc at a much higher rate or they sell to you at a much higher rate if you use your debit card outside.

if you look at the quarterly reports from the banking sector, Forex has been their major thing boosting revenues. God dey

1 Like

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by DaudaAbu(m): 7:45am On Jan 27, 2017
And the customee that bought most of the dollar is...

Is.......

Dangote
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 27, 2017
Yet they won't give us form A.
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 27, 2017
Please somebody tell me what these guys are talking about
I only understand Structural mechanics, Quantifying etc but this shit... Please come again

We are Engineers!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by sakalisis(m): 7:48am On Jan 27, 2017
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Yaasir(m): 7:49am On Jan 27, 2017
CBN sells directly to the BDC operators. The dollar is collected through abcon, the umbrella body for the bdc operators and not through the bank. The bank only process the bid. The list of qualified BDC is sent weekly by the same CBN. In essence, what goes to each bdc is determined by CBN and not commercial bank. So, if there is any disparity the same cbn should take full responsibility.
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by deenee: 7:51am On Jan 27, 2017
pressplay411:

Bros Emefiele has nothing to do with zenith having the highest volume.

Banks were asked to send in bids for this since like two weeks ago and also asked to send in to clear back log of transactions for target sectors. A lot of of these banks didn't comply and we're sending in for back log of invisible transactions (school fees etc) and those bids were dropped. The results of the bids are on the CBN website for all to see and also published in the national dailies

We really need to stop all this sentimental posts

God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by deenee: 7:55am On Jan 27, 2017
Yaasir:
CBN sells directly to the BDC operators. The dollar is collected through abcon, the umbrella body for the bdc operators and not through the bank. The bank only process the bid. The list of qualified BDC is sent weekly by the same CBN. In essence, what goes to each bdc is determined by CBN and not commercial bank. So, if there is any disparity the same cbn should take full responsibility.

What are you saying? Pls read the post again and edit your comment.

Do BDC operators process Form M?, do they do forward and spot FX transactions?

Do they open LC and Bills for collections for customers that want to import raw materials and machinery for customers?

Oh my.........God help us in country!

2 Likes

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Ifebazz(m): 7:56am On Jan 27, 2017
pressplay411:

Wow, so from those figures Zenith bank actually had the'highest' volume? Your arithmetic teacher is in trouble.

4 Likes

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by slawomir: 7:57am On Jan 27, 2017
ok
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by mekaboy(m): 8:09am On Jan 27, 2017
I knew GTBank Wont be there.Not after my experience with them, once the beneficiary gets the funds or I get it back, I am moving my DOM account to first bank.

2 Likes

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by pressplay411(m): 8:19am On Jan 27, 2017
joansteff:
First bank or zenith. READ AGAIN but this time slowly.

quote author=pressplay411 post=53135943]Forex experts kindly translate to English.

I guess Op edited. Last I checked FBN wasn't even on the list which I found surprising.
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by amiibaby(f): 8:19am On Jan 27, 2017
Ok
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by Electroweb(m): 8:25am On Jan 27, 2017
Well this information is good, but it is stale. A better information would have been to let the public know how much fx will be disbursed to the banks so that the banks cannot claim they don't have forex.
My thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by blank(f): 8:31am On Jan 27, 2017
whitetiger511:
. Or PTA. Have applied to nearly all the banks on that list.
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by giles14(m): 8:31am On Jan 27, 2017
pressplay411:

its first bank not zenith bank.

1 Like

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by DokitaDave(m): 8:36am On Jan 27, 2017
This is Nigeria where anything goes. It's so unfortunate that none of the banks listed allow average Nigerians to make dollar transaction with their cards. Yet, they gain so much from BDC operations.
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by ItsawrapOutfit: 8:39am On Jan 27, 2017
Firstbank, always everywhere grin

1 Like

Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by pressplay411(m): 8:49am On Jan 27, 2017
deenee:

Bros Emefiele has nothing to do with zenith having the highest volume.

Banks were asked to send in bids for this since like two weeks ago and also asked to send in to clear back log of transactions for target sectors. A lot of of these banks didn't comply and we're sending in for back log of invisible transactions (school fees etc) and those bids were dropped. The results of the bids are on the CBN website for all to see and also published in the national dailies

We really need to stop all this sentimental posts

God bless Nigeria.

Well said but you know I'm only stating the obvious, sentiments aside.
Emefiele should be fired for abuse of that office as CBN governor.
If this country was your private entity, apparently even you would have fired him already because the country losing millions of dollars daily and going into the drains and this man is either clueless about fixing it or as I believe he's a major part of sabotaging the economy just to frustrate this administration. I mean GEJ handpicked him to that office for chrissakes.
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by mare23ayo(m): 9:09am On Jan 27, 2017
whitetiger511:
asin ehn I need that form like ystdae
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by information1: 9:13am On Jan 27, 2017
Re: Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements by deenee: 9:42am On Jan 27, 2017
pressplay411:

Well said but you know I'm only stating the obvious, sentiments aside.
Emefiele should be fired for abuse of that office as CBN governor.
If this country was your private entity, apparently even you would have fired him already because the country losing millions of dollars daily and going into the drains and this man is either clueless about fixing it or as I believe he's a major part of sabotaging the economy just to frustrate this administration. I mean GEJ handpicked him to that office for chrissakes.

Point taken but we need to look at this in context.

What else do you want Emefiele to do? To sell dollar that is not available or do you think he has one dollar printing machine in his house where he can just go and print dollar?

The dollars we have now is even from the inflows that come in from export proceeds and oil revenue.

Prior to now we have largely enjoyed because of the rise in oil prices but oil prices are not stable again so that source of inflow is really threatened. This is why the CBN is aggressively encouraging people to produce for export

Even now that oil is above 50 dollars Nigeria has not been able to meet our OPEC daily quota of 2.2m barrels per day because of the militants in the Niger Delta who are blowing up pipelines. So will you also blame Emefiele for that too.

The 1.2 billion dollars sold through this special auction is the excess from the increase in crude prices for the month of December. To be sincere the man is trying and I think we need to give him kudos for that

Our trade deficit alone is another thing because Nigerians love to import a lot and this basic truth is this

If we want the dollar situation to abate...tell the militants to stop blowing up pipelines so we can meet our daily production quota and enjoy the excess from the increasing crude price now

Minimize imports and try to use local alternatives

Encourage Nigerians to export to reduce the trade deficit. It's a shame that even the commodities export market in Nigeria is been dominated by the Chinese now.

Stop all forms of rent seeking activities around the dollar

And for your information some of the banks whose names don't appear in the post have erred because some banks buy the dollar and end up selling to the black market people who in turn sell to politicians and other importers that want to bring in good on the banned list of items. Are you also going to blame Zenith and Emefiele for that? I know some banks have been banned from the special auction window

I rest my case here. God bless Nigeria.

For those looking for PTA. You can easily get from the travellex office at MMIA at official rate but you must provide authentic documents and it will only be sold on the day of travel not before. I have gotten from them twice between October and now. Bearing in mind that you are only entitled BTA/PTA four times a year.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transfer Money To Other Bank Accounts Accross Nigeria Using UBA Atm Mastercard / IMF Doubts Nigeria’s Capacity To Repay Debts / We’re Going Bankrupt, Non-oil Exporters Cry Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.