Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,385 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) (799 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill 3 Men On Their Way To Farm In Edo (Graphic Photos) / Soldiers Stop Bus, Force The Men With Afro To Shave Their Hair / 21-Year-Old Lady Gang-Raped In Lagos By 5 Men On Her Way To Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 2:41pm On Jan 27, 2017
I have read countless tales of members of the police force harassing people but I never thought it would happen to me. Mine was less of an harassment though, because I know their tactics. So here's my story.

I traveled to Ibadan, Oyo State to pick up my B.Sc certificate, and I have been here for almost 3 weeks. My plan was to travel back next week, so I decided to get 1 or 2 things, since things are generally cheaper in Ibadan.

I did all my running around and it was time to visit the market. Guess what? I got flagged down by a mean-looking police officer (fine boy sha) wearing a bulletproof vest and wielding an AK47 around Dugbe police station (for those familiar with Ibadan). That wasn't a problem, I cleared and one of their personnel entered the car (mind you, I was driving my aunt's car, I was with someone from home, and I had my extended temporary license).

Before this dude entered, I had alighted to shake his hands and asked him how he was doing (forming boss). He sat at the front and the passenger had to go behind. Next we drove into their station. I wasn't really disturbed even though I checked the papers of the car earlier and they had expired few months ago.

Na so them carry me enter station oooo. I tried being friendly with this guy, asked questions about the search, if they had a tip off or something. This guy (I call him guy because he looks very young - by my analysis he shouldn't be up to 30 years, probably 25 or 26) searched in and out of the car - boot, under the foot mats, pidgin hole, sides of the car, etc.

Next I and my passenger (let's call him Wale) were lead to an office. I wasn't unsettled, I had already told them him that I am a graduate of UI, and my mission in Ibadan. He had us take out our phones. I had two phones on me and Wale had one. Wale's phone was briefly checked. He asked about our relationship (Wale works for my aunt). Wale was asked to move away, leaving me and this police man.

He tried unlocking my phone. I gladly gave him my password. He went through and then asked what I did for a living. I am a full time freelancer so that wasn't an issue. I told him - animations, market research, copy writing and graphics design. I just asked him to check my fiverr app to confirm. I tried showing him he resisted. Wo, I never chop, I relaxed.

This idiot decided to go through my mails, and my text messages. Saying he is looking for internet fraud. I laughed.
For 30 minutes this guy was going through my phones. And then came the shocker.

He asked if I am registered with CAC, and if I have an office. What does my family do for a living. I gave him details. But hell no, you don't expect me to register my fiverr business with CAC and rent an office space for that. I have about 4 emails all linked on my phone - 1 personal, 3 job related. He started questioning me about my emails.

Even when my email names clearly states what I do - lordofcontent (for my copy writing service), animation guru (for my animation services), etc.

Two other cops walked in (the guy that flagged me and someone else) and they went to the corner, discussed a bit and came back to me. Guess what the new idiot asked me - where is my Id card for my email. At this point, I stood up from my sit and gave him a run down of what I do. He insisted I must have an id card.

When they noticed nothing was forthcoming they handed me back my phones and particulars and the story changed from you are wrong to find us something. I carefully gave them a run down of my accomplishments - 1 national award (Diamond bank challenge), 1 international award (Peter Drucker), and several others. I asked them to Google my name or my business name and see the search results.

And that was how they left me. So if I didn't have all these or didn't stand my ground, na so police for take me shine. If I didn't know military personnel (this was where my confidence came from - even though I never mentioned it until I was released) they would have made a mess of me.

Eventually, I gave one of them #500 out of goodwill when I got back to the car, and we exchanged contacts. But please to the necessary authorities, train police men. They are grossly incompetent, they don't know anything. These guys claimed detectives and were asking for an ID card for my email addresses. My case is just one in thousands and others may not be so lucky.

It is now a crime for a young person to have or drive a good car. This shouldn't be so. I rest my case.

Please pardon me if there are typos. I no proofread jare.

Seun, Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) by Heavance(m): 2:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
Police is your friend. I just fear dem pass armed robbers these days

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 3:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
Heavance:
Police is your friend.
I just fear dem pass armed robbers these days

You always have to tread with caution with these guys o. I no won hear accidental discharge. They even asked of my aunt's picture and proof that we are related. Can you imagine?
Re: My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) by andyanders: 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2017
You should understand that they are all out to extort as they're men of low esteem. They lack manners and the only thing they know is to intimidate and extort.If you are lucky, you get away and if you are unlucky, death is the next as you can be termed as a robber or criminal.99% of police men will never near the gate of peace or heaven.
Re: My Experience Today With The Men On Black (AKA Police) by Heavance(m): 5:19pm On Jan 27, 2017
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

You always have to tread with caution with these guys o. I no won hear accidental discharge. They even asked of my aunt's picture and proof that we are related. Can you imagine?
This is unbelievable.....

(1) (Reply)

How My Girlfriend Almost Raped Today / Black Friday In Abuja / Another Notorious Thief Who Always Steal From Shops Caught (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.