Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,446 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia (5273 Views)

See The 7 Things I Did In Order To Understand My Lecturer In Class / 10 Weird Things You Should Be Doing In Order To Have A Stronger Brain / Five Things I Regret Doing At The University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by HAKKINS(f): 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2017
1. In Russia, there are 9 million more
women than men. “Let’s go watch bears together.” According to a United Nations report, there are 86.8
men for every 100 women in Russia (across the
world, there are 101.8 men for every 100 women).
But there’s an interesting side note to this stat:
Russian newborn boys outnumber newborn girls
and men continue to outnumber women until the age of 31. But from age 32 on, women outnumber
men. The leading explanation for this: early
mortality among men. According to Russian Health
Minister Veronika Skvortsova, the biggest cause of
early mortality among Russian men is primarily
related to alcohol consumption.

2. There used to be a beard tax in Russia,
paid by anyone who had a beard. This beard alone may have cost hundreds of
dollars. The beard tax was created by Tsar Peter the Great,
in an attempt to modernize the country’s society.
According to the beard tax, all men (except
peasants and clergymen) had to pay 100 roubles
for a copper or silver “beard token” that had a
moustache and a beard engraved on to it - and then carry the token with them as proof of paying the
tax. Also engraved on the token: the words ‘the
beard is a useless burden.’ No surprise that many
hipsters in Russia did not think that Peter the Great
was great.

3. There are dozens of “closed cities” in
Russia that are closed to the outside world. If you see a “Do Not Enter” sign in Russia,
it’s best if you obeyed. Closed cities, in large part, existed to serve the
interests of the army or major research institutions
in the late 1940s. These cities were not included on
Soviet maps and were only designated by post
code. They were kept secret for long periods of
time. Today, many of them are no longer a secret, but they are likely surrounded by barbed wire and
protected by armed guards. Foreigners are strictly
prohibited from entering them.

6. In Russia, it is a finable offense to drive a
dirty car. This may not go over that well over there. Caveat to this one: there is some debate as to
whether or not you will actually get a ticket for
having a dirty car. There was a Lonely Planet forum
that dug deep in to this and many indicated that a
fine would be levied only if the the registration of
the vehicle was so dirty that it was illegible. But others made the strong point: you don’t want
Russian police pulling you over for anything - so
keep your car clean.

5. Speaking of Alaska, Russia sold it to the
U.S in 1867 And you won’t believe the deal they got on it,
either. The United States paid $7.2 million for the
country, which is still more than you can spend on a
plot of land. But get this, that’s less than 2 cents an
acre for all 600,000 square miles of the cold- snow-
covered state. Makes you wonder what’s so bad about it, considering Alaska probably still has better
weather than Russia.

6.In russia you might be paid your salary with vodka.it was recorded that in sept 23 1998 Teachers in part of western Siberia are being paid in
bottles of vodka, because the authorities have no
money to meet their wages bill. The teachers in the most populous Maima district of
the Altai republic are getting 15 bottles each. They
have not been paid their proper salaries since
February or March. An Itar-Tass news agency correspondent in the region
says the teachers reckon it is better to get the vodka -
which can be sold in local markets - than nothing at
all

Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by sEGXY2(m): 5:12pm On Jan 27, 2017
Cool info
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Edwinmason(m): 5:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
this laws are perfect 4 them
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by phemsie(m): 8:18pm On Jan 27, 2017
Na their cup of tea be that. What am I looking for in Russia, when Canada is beckoning

2 Likes

Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by jboycrb(m): 8:29pm On Jan 27, 2017
Noted
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Sammypope4all(m): 8:32pm On Jan 27, 2017
.In russia you might be paid your salary with vodka.

Lol. Cool if you ask me. It's better than owing 8moths salary

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by souloho19(m): 8:34pm On Jan 27, 2017
No wonder the men have high mortality rate.. grin
Very educative mon'
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by olafum1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 27, 2017
Weird indeed
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by HAKKINS(f): 8:42pm On Jan 27, 2017
Sammypope4all:
.In russia you might be paid your salary with vodka.

Lol. Cool if you ask me. It's better than owing 8moths salary
so u wud have loved for your salary be paid with vodka....#shayoguy
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Mayydayy(m): 9:07pm On Jan 27, 2017
The so called beard gang in Nigeria will hate the no 1 law
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 27, 2017
6. A large percentage of them are unrepentant racists and require deliverance. Some of them see any other skin colour apart from white as inferior and intolerable.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Withambition(m): 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2017
It's not Nigeria now so I may not know...
Check out MY LEGAL DIARY
https://www.nairaland.com/3569908/interesting-legal-diary-legal-stories
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by ghettowriter(m): 9:58pm On Jan 27, 2017
paying of salaries with vodka? cheesy

Payday will be full of drama grin grin
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by LordXaaan: 10:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
Smh

Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 11:56pm On Jan 27, 2017
Russia is the most largest country in the whole world so i'm not too much suprize about all this,

meanwhile.
.R.I.P Buhari.
.i mean Remain in power

1 Like

Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by jimswatt: 12:15am On Jan 28, 2017
Admin Give&Take:

Welcome to give and take investment platform on telegram automated bot system network based on a 3 x 12 matrix template of dedicated investors. Please, note that if u are not a serious minded person, don't invest with us.

Visit our automated registration link on : http:///jimswatt_bot

To register, type /registration
To upgrade to next level, type /upgrade
To lay complain, type /complaints
To confirm someone, type /payer_confirmation
To send bot of of payment, type /payer_payment_proof
To know more about this platform, type /about
To comment or make suggestions, type /comments

When you type, u wait and follow the instructions because records are automated.and its on a basis of first come first serve.

To join our general room of like minds to see for your self how it works, use this link:

https:///joinchat/AAAAAAtJrV--nIqM62TBIw

This is give and take investment platform where u invest with 3k and then climb in stages to become the person u dreamt of.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Level 1. 3k ➡️➡️ 9k
Level 2. 5k ➡️➡️ 15k
Level 3. 10k ➡️➡️ 30k
Level 4. 15k ➡️➡️ 45k
Level 5. 20k ➡️➡️ 60k
Level 6. 30k ➡️➡️ 90k
Level 7. 50k ➡️➡️ 150k
Level 8. 80k ➡️➡️ 240k
Level 9. 120k ➡️➡️ 360k
Level 10. 180k ➡️➡️ 540k
Level 11. 270k ➡️➡️ 810k
Level 12. 400k ➡️➡️ 1.2M

Join now to enjoy the benefits of investing with little or no risk and earning big. To earn, type /start and click on register.

Join us on telegram on:
https:///joinchat/AAAAAAtJrV--nIqM62TBIw
Thanks.
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by adekola02(m): 6:49am On Jan 28, 2017
. Dont waste your precious time waiting for that elusive job. To better your future and make a financial change of your life today, just hit the link you will see shortly. Listen to me, yo... have u been paid??
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by youngsahito(m): 10:00am On Jan 28, 2017
I like the vodka thing
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Bahddo(m): 7:15pm On Jan 28, 2017
There's also high religious intolerance in Russia. Deprive their citizens of the fundamental human right to freedom of religion and association.
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 28, 2017
Bahddo:
There's also high religious intolerance in Russia. Deprive their citizens of the fundamental human right to freedom of religion and association.
Uhmm.....

Lie undecided
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Bahddo(m): 7:55pm On Jan 28, 2017
SirWere:
Uhmm.....

Lie undecided
read wide, don't dismiss information you know nothing about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Russia
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Bitterleafsoup: 10:44pm On Jan 28, 2017
6. MMM first made its entrance in Russia during the 90s causing sucides and heartbreak when they stole da money.
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 29, 2017
I just imagine how much i go dey pay for my 'beards' if this kind law dey for Naija
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by jericco1(m): 2:29am On Jan 29, 2017
That's weird
Re: 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 20, 2017
And the outside world leads to? Heaven or hell?? grin grin

(1) (Reply)

LASU Admission List For Second Batch 2012/2013 Is Out: Check Here / How What I Learnt From Movies Almost Killed Me / Serious Delay In Getting My Transcript From OOU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.