Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Venus: It Was Great To Have The Opportunity - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Venus: It Was Great To Have The Opportunity (308 Views)

Wimbledon: Cori Gauff Defeats Venus Williams, In Tears After (Photos) / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Beats Sister Venus To Reach Fourth Round / Serena Beats Venus To Win Record 23rd Slam Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Venus: It Was Great To Have The Opportunity by Oladimix: 2:37pm On Jan 28, 2017
A philosophical Venus Williams revealed she was grateful to be out competing in a grand slam final again despite her loss to Serena.
Serena moved to her 23rd title after a straight set win in the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne Park on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Venus – who had not played in a grand slam final since 2009 where she lost to her sister – was happy to be back on the big stage.
“It was great to have an opportunity to play for the title,” the 36-year-old said in her post-match press conference.
“That’s exactly where I want to be standing during these Grand Slams, is on finals day, having an opportunity. That’s the highlight of all this, is to be in that moment.
“I don’t think I felt at all awkward. I felt ready. I mean, I haven’t played in a final for a number of years, but I don’t think it’s something you forget. I mean, I played a good amount of ’em, so…
“I feel like I had opportunities…I just missed some shots. But it’s not like I missed shots that I wasn’t going for. I went for those shots. It’s a matter of inches.
“Some errors here or there can mean the difference between a break of serve or a hold.”
In terms of Serena’s record breaking win, Venus reminded everyone that her sister isn’t done yet…
“It’s a great number,” said Venus of Serena’s 23 slams.
“I know she would like to have a little more. Who wouldn’t? It was a great moment. I’m very happy that she’s been able to, you know, get to No.23 because there’s 22 ahead of that that she also earned, and she earned it.”

(1) (Reply)

Malfunction During A Training Speaking Ahead / Schalke Want To Sign Tottenham Midfielder Nabil Bentaleb Permanently / Has Been Fertilized By A Male Germ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.