Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. (3696 Views)

New Google Doodle Honours Nigerian Born Play Write Buchi Emecheta / 9 Memorable And Inspiring Quotes From Buchi Emecheta / Nigerians Mourns As Buchi Emecheta Dies At 72 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 4:16pm On Jan 28, 2017
Considered by many to be one of the most important female African writers, she is greatly respected and admired for her creative and narrative writing about African women's experiences in Africa and in Great Britain.

She said :

“A man is never ugly".

“A hungry man is an angry one.”

“I like to be called a Nigerian rather thansomebody from the Third World or the developing or whatever."

“I work toward the liberation of women, but I'm not feminist. I'm just a woman."

“Black women all over the world should re-unite and re-examine the way history has portrayed us."

NAME: Florence Onyebuchi Emecheta
BORN: on 21 July 1944, in Lagos, Nigeria

DIED:25 January 2017. 

EDUCATION: after persuading her parents to consider the benefits of her education, she spent her early childhood at an all-girl's missionary school. A year later, Emecheta received a full scholarship to the Methodist Girls School, where she remained until the

FAMILY LIFE: age of 16, in 1960, she married Sylvester Onwordi, a student to whom she had been engaged since she was 11 years old.

Onwordi immediately moved to London, UK, to attend university and Emecheta joined him. She gave birth to five children in six years. It was an unhappy and sometimes violent marriage. To keep her sanity, Emecheta wrote in her spare time; however, her husband was deeply suspicious of her writing, and he ultimately burned her first manuscript; she has said that The Bride Price, eventually published in 1976, would have been her first book but she had to rewrite it after it was destroyed: "There were five years between the two versions."

At the age of 22, Emecheta left her husband. While working to support her five children alone, she earned a BSc degree in Sociology at the University of London

CAREER: worked as a library officer for the British Museum in London. Was a youth worker and sociologist for theInner London Education Authority, and from 1976 to 1978 she was a community worker.

Following her success as an author, Emecheta travelled widely as a visiting professor and lecturer. From 1972 to 1979 she visited several American universities, including Pennsylvania State University, Rutgers University, theUniversity of California, Los Angeles, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

From 1980 to 1981, she was senior resident fellow and visiting professor of English, University of Calabar, Nigeria. lectured at Yale University, and theUniversity of London, as well as holding a fellowship at the University of London in 1986. 

She published over 20 books and received lot of awards. 

INSPIRATION: Just before Christmas, when my baby sister said she wanted books for the yuletide,  I was quick to indulge her. In the book Shop, I stumbled on Buchi's Joys of Motherhood; I had read that book in my early secondary school days and because I couldn't remember the story, I bought it along with Slave girl. I really enjoyed and learnt a lot reading them. 

On the 26th, after my quiet time, Ezeada's post on Facebook about her death struck me especially I had this article already prepared for this category of the blog. Another friend who knew I had been reading her book told me of her death and when I told him, I had a draft prepared prior to her passing, he suggested I make it an eulogy. 

You're a woman and a proud woman at that. 

A woman who didn't allow her circumstances define her nor determine how far she rose. 

A woman who knew when to stay and when to have no more. 

A fighter and Achiever. 

A woman with history and scar. 

A woman who can write, and write beautifully. 

A mother, A proud Nigerian. 

An Inspirator. 

Credit: Wikipedia 

So what would you excuse be for not making it in life?
www.exceptionalstar.

5 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Erudite202: 9:39pm On Jan 28, 2017
joys of motherhood is evergreen
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 1:28pm On Jan 29, 2017
Erudite202:
joys of motherhood is evergreen
True.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Atiku2019: 6:51am On Jan 30, 2017
smiley smiley
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Pchikaodili(m): 6:56am On Jan 30, 2017
Buhari's death rumour did not allow us to mourn this literal ICON . . Rest in peace mama

2 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Emeraldz(f): 6:59am On Jan 30, 2017
May her soul rest in peace. She was a magnificent writer.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Nnadigoodluck(m): 7:00am On Jan 30, 2017
RIP
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Kondomatic(m): 7:16am On Jan 30, 2017
Pchikaodili:
Buhari's death rumour did not allow us to mourn this literal ICON
Rest in peace mama
Not true.

Our society hardly appreciate her type, the story wouldn't be the same if she was a singer or an actress.

We prefer cleavage exposing talentless individuals to hardworking individuals.

7 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by AustineCJ: 7:33am On Jan 30, 2017
Ooo jeez very sad how we keep loosing those that hve contributd positvly 2dis gr8 kwan3 while the yeye 1s kip waxing strng.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by unitysheart(m): 7:44am On Jan 30, 2017
"A man is never ugly."

What a quote!!
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Pchikaodili(m): 7:50am On Jan 30, 2017
Kondomatic:
Not true.

Our society hardly appreciate her type, the story wouldn't be the same if she was a singer or an actress.

i understand what u mean,
but there are still many who appreciates these hardworking individuals, if u can remember wen chinua achebe died,

the way nigerians mourned him, shows that many still know those that are hardworking

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Baroba(m): 7:53am On Jan 30, 2017
My first introduction to her work was as an 8 year old, I recall my old man giving me Titch the Cat as my birthday present.. I have since read most of her popular novels..Great writer, RIP
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Kondomatic(m): 8:11am On Jan 30, 2017
Pchikaodili:

i understand what u mean,
but there are still many who appreciates these hardworking individuals, if u can remember wen chinua achebe died,

the way nigerians mourned him, shows that many still know those that are hardworking
You're right
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by MarieSucre(f): 8:23am On Jan 30, 2017
Rest In Peace Great literary Warrior. You were the first to open my eyes to injustice suffered by women. Many of the things I brushed under the carpet, many of the things I accepted because "this is what the society expects of me as a woman", I rebuff. Because of you...

Sleep on Lioness. You have molded the minds of many Nigerian girls, and boys.

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by nbright: 8:52am On Jan 30, 2017
cry

She fought for the liberation of women in Nigeria but she said she's isn't a feminist.
Thumbs up ma
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 30, 2017
I prefer Buchi Emecheta's writing to Adichie's.

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by ayesco202(m): 9:16am On Jan 30, 2017
'If you don't have children the longing for them will kill you, and if you do, the worrying over them will kill you' - Emecheta. RIP Mama.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by ayesco202(m): 9:17am On Jan 30, 2017
Wiztonero:
I prefer Buchi Emecheta's writing to Adichie's.
Ofcourse!
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by rebsin: 9:25am On Jan 30, 2017
RIP..... my best female writer.... I wish Nigerians could mourn you like they will do to any late artist or actress or musician.... afterall that is all they care about

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Switup: 10:23am On Jan 30, 2017

In honor of the late Author. She may be dead but her works live on
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 30, 2017
RIP literary iroko.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2017
Pchikaodili:
Buhari's death rumour did not allow us to mourn this literal ICON
Rest in peace mama
Hahaha, Buhari is now to be blamed for everything.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 7:51pm On Jan 30, 2017
Emeraldz:
May her soul rest in peace. She was a magnificent writer.
Amen.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 7:54pm On Jan 30, 2017
Kondomatic:
Not true.

Well said, we need to start prioritizing values.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 7:56pm On Jan 30, 2017
MarieSucre:
Rest In Peace Great literary Warrior. You were the first to open my eyes to injustice suffered by women. Many of the things I brushed under the carpet, many of the things I accepted because "this is what the society expects of me as a woman", I rebuff. Because of you...

She did indeed.

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 7:57pm On Jan 30, 2017
MarieSucre:

She did indeed.

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by laudate: 1:37pm On Feb 01, 2017
What is the meaning of Inspirator?? shocked I thought the correct word was "Inspiration?" sad
Re: Buchi Emecheta, An Inspirator. by Queenxstar(f): 11:12am On Feb 02, 2017
laudate:
What is the meaning of Inspirator?? shocked I thought the correct word was "Inspiration?" sad
It was a word I came up with.

(1) (Reply)

Impregnate Me Or I Die (episode 1) / Gun Shot(crime, Sex, Adventure) Story By Officialbro / How Beans Saved Us From Armed Robbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.