Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,695 members, 7,820,428 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism (8246 Views)

9 Memorable And Inspiring Quotes From Buchi Emecheta / Nigerians Mourns As Buchi Emecheta Dies At 72 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by mecedonia(m): 10:07pm On Jan 28, 2017
BUCHI EMECHETA, EXIT OF A ROCK OF FEMINISM:
By Sir Don Ubani; KSC, JP
Okwubunka of Asa
27th January, 2017

My major literary icon and motivator, Chinua Achebe, had impressed it on me that I should never attempt to forget where the rain started to beat me.

Though I had not the privilege of meeting Achebe one on one, I had construed that injunction to imply, among several other meanings, that gratitude, whether explicit or implicit, is an indisputable raison d'etre.

For those of us who read English and Literary Appreciation, our expression of gratitude can not, in any way, be said to have a complete cycle without mentioning Buchi Emecheta.

Born on 21st July, 1944 to the Emecheta parents of Ibusa, Delta Igbo, though living in Lagos, Florence Onyebuchi Emecheta had her first baptism of gender discrimination when her father , Jeremy, refused to send her to school in preference to her brother.

Despite the tenderness of her age, Buchi, as she later became known in the international literary circle, courageously and brilliantly convinced her father that her education would be a boost to their family. Subsequently, Buchi was sent to school though she lost her father who worked in the Nigerian Railway Corporation only when she was nine.

After completing her secondary education in an all-girls' Methodist College on full scholarship, Buchi got married at the age of sixteen to her heartthrob, Sylvester onwordi, whom she had been engaged to at the too early age of eleven.

On successful completion of her secondary education in 1960, she joined her husband who had earlier travelled to the United Kingdom for higher education.

Though she had had five children for Sylvester, she was compelled by unendurable marital circumstances to quit the union, forcing her to become a single parent, with all the burden; pecuniary, social and psychological, that arise from single parenthood in far away UK.

Her challenges not withstanding, she was able to graduate in sociology in 1974, at the age of 30 and as a mother of five, from the University of London.

Because of her experiences as a member of the segregated sex, she devoted almost all her time and energy to writing.

She wrote well over twenty novels that were published, including In The Ditch, Second-Class Citizen(1974) The Bride Price(1976), The Slave Girl(1977) and The Joy of Motherhood(1979).

Her themes of child slavery, motherhood , female independence and freedom through education had won her considerable critical acclaim and honours, including an order of The British Empire.

She worked herself to being a visiting Professor to many Universities in Europe, America and even our own University of Calabar.

Buchi Emecheta, OBE, devoted her time, out of personal experience, fighting societal injustice against women, especially the Girl-Child.
She was a defender and motivator of the women folk.

I am sure she did not motivate only women. Many of us who were exposed to her writings at an early age were equally influenced by her writings and stand for decent treatment of the female folk. Today, where ever I find myself, I insist that the Woman must be accorded her due respect.

Buchi Emecheta passed on Wednesday, 25th January, 2017 in London, at the age of approximately 73.

Though gone, I believe her memories would endure. It is my hope that women, from all walks of life, would join in appreciating this great Champion of women liberation and freedom from any facet of segregation, discrimination and degradation.

May her soul find peace in the presence of God Almighty.

Adieu Buchi Emecheta, OBE!
Adieu The Champion of Her Sex!!
Adieu The Great Scholar!!!

Okwubunka of Asa.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by LORDOFAFONJAS: 7:02am On Jan 29, 2017
I am dedicating this comment to all sane Nigerians and those who wish our president grin may our wish come through, AMEN

4 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by ELPablochapo: 7:02am On Jan 29, 2017
uwa
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Adesiji77: 7:03am On Jan 29, 2017
@Mecedonia So no picture accompanies this eulogy?
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by imalexzoro: 7:03am On Jan 29, 2017
ok ;Dok
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by 40kobo77: 7:05am On Jan 29, 2017
ok
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by fiftynaira(m): 7:07am On Jan 29, 2017
Rip ma!

Dedicating this page to the right of the girl child in Nigeria and beyond.

3 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by dyoungkarlmarx(m): 7:12am On Jan 29, 2017
Attach some pictures please.4th to comment.happy Sunday pals.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by engrkaz(m): 7:17am On Jan 29, 2017
Rip
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by ultimate121: 7:18am On Jan 29, 2017
H
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by petkoffdrake2(m): 7:19am On Jan 29, 2017
Too long... angry

Na novel??
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by nextstep(m): 7:22am On Jan 29, 2017
RIP dear Ma
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by rexharysn(m): 7:22am On Jan 29, 2017
R.I.P ma. Though I never read her piece but going through this write up, I am convinced that I should look for her works....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Chrisharry(m): 7:24am On Jan 29, 2017
I knew it! I knew that you don't read such eulogy of anyone except the person has passed on. Rest in peace Buchi Emecheta. Your legacy lives on.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Napoleon22(m): 7:24am On Jan 29, 2017
This smirks of crass ignorance! After repeated denial from Buchi Emecheta about being a feminist, some people still deem it fit to call her a 'Rock of Feminism'

11 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by kaziblake(f): 7:25am On Jan 29, 2017
May she find rest
The joy of mother hood made me cry all through

2 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Afobear: 7:28am On Jan 29, 2017
rexharysn:
R.I.P ma. Though I never read her piece but going through this write up, I am convinced that I should look for her works....
it is very important you do

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by esuLAAROYE(m): 7:42am On Jan 29, 2017
Joy of Motherhood came to my mind..that's the story of Nnu-ego, the daughter of Chief Nwokocha Agbadi and wife of Nnaife the useless man..

then let's talk of Naira Power.

R.I.P Buchi Emecheta

5 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by andresia(m): 7:45am On Jan 29, 2017
rexharysn:

I read the joy of Motherhood by Buchi Emecheta and fell in love with her immediately

2 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by iamsparrow(m): 7:47am On Jan 29, 2017
Napoleon22:
This smirks of crass ignorance! After repeated denial from Buchi Emecheta about being a feminist, some people still deem it fit to call her a 'Rock of Feminism'
Don't mind them, they think every female writer is a feminist

3 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by dumie(f): 7:48am On Jan 29, 2017
Rip ma'am! I read most of your books while growing up courtesy of my senior sis.. .The Bride Price will always be my fav, Second-Class Citizen and The Joys of Motherhood.

3 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by stag: 7:52am On Jan 29, 2017
I begin to think that gender equality is not exactly feminism. I'm guessing Don Ubani does not agree.

RIP Emecheta.

2 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Swissheart(f): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2017
Awwww.......RIP Ma.
The Joy Of Motherhood comes to mind. Great woman.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Chommieblaq(f): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2017
Napoleon22:

Don't mind them, they want to tag every successful woman a feminist!

Inukwa Rock, sand nko!

Rest in peace Ma'a

7 Likes

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Prognose: 7:56am On Jan 29, 2017
Pls she was not a feminist!
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Prognose: 8:03am On Jan 29, 2017
If you have not read "The Bride Price. " pls do. It is a simple novel heavily imbued with the touch of genius that was Buchi Emecheta. She was a wonderful and brave woman and mother, a stalwart and an anchor for her family and friends. We will miss her a lot.

Adieu ma.

Adaukwu jenk'oma.

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by 9jaBloke: 8:15am On Jan 29, 2017
I will always remember 'Second Class Citizen' and 'Joys of Motherhood' fondly. They made my days in boarding school bearable.

Goodnight Buchi Emecheta. You made your mark.
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by nogasimplicity: 8:24am On Jan 29, 2017
A rare gem, she was awesome. will never forget this line "A man is never ugly".

1 Like

Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by driand(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2017
Ok
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by ekmike(m): 8:34am On Jan 29, 2017
I read "the joy of motherhood"and "the bride price". Rest on ma
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by Nobody: 8:42am On Jan 29, 2017
rexharysn:

I'll suggest you get the joy of motherhood..
Re: Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism by eitch: 8:45am On Jan 29, 2017
Feminism or gender equality, all na wash. If you marry a responsible man, you'll end up being a happy wife and a fulfilled mother.
Someone will say what about career?
Responsible woman knows how to balance her home with her career goals. Not ignore home for job.
And to think male and female are equal you must be stupid

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can A Fiction Writer Make Money? / The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. / The Fate Of Nigerian Writers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.