Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,818 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Is It Risky To Give Alms? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Risky To Give Alms? (815 Views)

Should I Bother how a Beggar Uses my alms? / The Simple Act Of Alms Giving / 3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Risky To Give Alms? by pressplay411(m): 12:06pm On Jan 29, 2017
I don't know about other parts of the world but in Nigeria giving alms is quite a big deal.

Some believe it helps ward off evil-
You'll hear prayers like "May this money take away death from my household, take away all my sickness, spiritual attacks, bad luck, etc" before dipping it in the unfortunate beggars bowl.

Some see it as giving charity, giving to the poor out of abundant blessings-
Yes sometimes God has been so faithful you feel so blessed you decide to give to the needy.

Some see it as a way of investing in nature-
It is more blessed to give than to receive. He who sows shall reap, etc. So we give to remind God that we also want to receive.

But what really is the significance of giving alms? The risks involved. The scam business it has turned into.
We all see some fully functional able bodied men and women even parade themselves about in the guise of being stranded and you wonder why the person you helped with "Tp" last week is still stranded this week at the same bus stop.
Honestly I'm "flabber-whelmed" at the level of scam that has become of this Alms business.

Interestingly some so called "Prophets" even connive with these beggars and unsuspecting believers fall prey to their schemes in the name of Sowing seed.

My frustration stems from my recent exposure to beggars coming from every turn I make. This year alone I have had at least 10 exposures. First a stranger approached me at my door step just on my way out. On the same day another approached just as I was returning. Not long after a stranger calls my phone asking to see me eventually asking me to give alms when efforts to meet me proved abortive, better safe than sorry. We've heard of cases where ritualists disguise as beggars.

In essence, one wonders, with all the evil men do is it worth giving alms? I still suspect that I once lost a lucrative job cos I either gave alms to the wrong person or didn't give alms to the right person. So how does one differentiate?
What is the best way to give alms?
Re: Is It Risky To Give Alms? by sweetval: 12:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
Most important part of alms giving is giving from your heart but in this country, simple act of alms giving in the wrong hands can spell negativity, doom and in extreme cases backwardness. Some beggars no pure at all and has attached diabolical means in its quest. If u gv person money, wahala.. If u no gv, na still wahala.. I suggest u find within u d most appropriate and safer ways for you to give alms and not fall a victim..
Re: Is It Risky To Give Alms? by pressplay411(m): 12:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
sweetval:
Most important part of alms giving is giving from your heart but in this country, simple act of alms giving in the wrong hands can spell negativity, doom and in extreme cases backwardness. Some beggars no pure at all and has attached diabolical means in its quest. If u gv person money, wahala.. If u no gv, na still wahala.. I suggest u find within u d most appropriate and safer ways for you to give alms and not fall a victim..

My point exactly.
It's the bad ones that have ruined it for the genuine ones.
There's a pavement around my former work, a beggar is perched there and even resumes earlier than all of us. If you give alms today she greets you better the next day, you start feeling guilty if you don't give again. It's just not right.

1 Like

Re: Is It Risky To Give Alms? by sweetval: 1:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
grin

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of A Female Electrician Climbing A Pole In Her Hijab Goes Viral… / Afia Olu Nnewi; Preserve, Improve, Invent; Ezeemo, Igboezue Advocate / Picture A Lot Of Us can relate With .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.