Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? (1229 Views)

5 Incredibly Useful Websites You Wish You Knew Earlier (2020) / How To Use Google Scientific Calculator Or Calculate With Google Search / The 10 Most Mind-blowing Scientific Discoveries Of 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 29, 2017
For me, I would love to understand how the supposedly Big bang came into place (if there was one) and all the concepts of Darwin's theory.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
So u nor sabi research. Besides big bang and Darwin's evolution theory are just theories, not laws. Meaning there have not been proven and accepted worldwide.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Davidhero(m): 1:37pm On Jan 29, 2017
mhen, i still think abt the recycling of Nuclear Energy would work...
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by sagacious2016: 1:45pm On Jan 29, 2017
For me I still find it difficult to understand how the different continents are said to be arranged on the sides of the earth without falling down. And how is it that we can't see other continents below us?

1 Like

Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 29, 2017
MrTruth4real:
So u nor sabi research. Besides big bang and Darwin's evolution theory are just theories, not laws. Meaning there have not been proven and accepted worldwide.

Hmmmm...I see
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Feraz(m): 4:13pm On Jan 29, 2017
sagacious2016:
For me I still find it difficult to understand how the different continents are said to be arranged on the sides of the earth without falling down. And how is it that we can see other continents below us?
Teempakguy!!
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 30, 2017
Feraz:
Teempakguy!!
I'm on it.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 30, 2017
sagacious2016:
For me I still find it difficult to understand how the different continents are said to be arranged on the sides of the earth without falling down. And how is it that we can't see other continents below us?
1. The earth is a sphere. It has no sides. Its like an agalumo/Udara fruit.

2. The force of gravity, which is responsible for things that fall down, actually doesn't pull things down. Instead, it pulls things to the center of the earth.

3. Because of this, all those continents 'under' and beside are being pulled towards the center of the earth. Just like a drop of water pulls every thing into itself.

4. We can't see the other continents because they are on the other sides. We literally live on a ball. And on every ball, the amount of things you can see is directly proportional to the distance you are from the surface. The limit is half. So, in space, you can see half of the earth, on ground, you can see only a 5 kilometer radius on flat ground.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by sagacious2016: 12:08pm On Jan 30, 2017
Teempakguy:
1. The earth is a sphere. It has no sides. Its like an agalumo/Udara fruit.

2. The force of gravity, which is responsible for things that fall down, actually doesn't pull things down. Instead, it pulls things to the center of the earth.

3. Because of this, all those continents 'under' and beside are being pulled towards the center of the earth. Just like a drop of water pulls every thing into itself.

4. We can't see the other continents because they are on the other sides. We literally live on a ball. And on every ball, the amount of things you can see is directly proportional to the distance you are from the surface. The limit is half. So, in space, you can see half of the earth, on ground, you can see only a 5 kilometer radius on flat ground.

OK thanks. But where is the centre of the earth. That should still be space now. I mean not towards the ground. unless all the continents are positioned in a way that the ground surface (soil) is 'perpendicular' to the centre of the earth.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 30, 2017
sagacious2016:

OK thanks. But where is the centre of the earth. That should still be space now. I mean not towards the ground. unless all the continents are positioned in a way that the ground surface (soil) is 'perpendicular' to the centre of the earth.
below, I have attached an image to illustrate the directions in which gravity pulls people. note that everything gets pulled towards the center. also, note that from every perspective, things are being pulled down.

also note that even without gravity, there is nothing to pull the continents away, or make them fall away.

Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by sagacious2016: 1:35pm On Jan 30, 2017
Teempakguy:
below, I have attached an image to illustrate the directions in which gravity pulls people. note that everything gets pulled towards the center. also, note that from every perspective, things are being pulled down.

also note that even without gravity, there is nothing to pull the continents away, or make them fall away.

Thanks. Now clearly understood with the aid of that picture.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Darkseid(m): 2:31pm On Jan 30, 2017
Teempakguy:

Pardon my ignorance but from that pic, it would seem like we are standing side ways e.g like on a vertical wall. How come we live on a horizontal surface.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 30, 2017
Darkseid:
Pardon my ignorance but from that pic, it would seem like we are standing side ways e.g like on a vertical wall. How come we live on a horizontal surface.
that is the beauty of spherical symmetry. every where is both vertical and horizontal. for instance, that picture is actually upside down. or is it?
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Darkseid(m): 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2017
Teempakguy:
that is the beauty of spherical symmetry. every where is both vertical and horizontal. for instance, that picture is actually upside down. or is it?
I get it now,it depends on where you choose as your reference frame. Thanks for making it clearer.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Davidhero(m): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2017
Teempakguy:

U get head.

Infact make i follow you.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 30, 2017
Davidhero:

U get head.
Infact make i follow you.
thanks.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Feraz(m): 10:54pm On Feb 01, 2017
Teempakguy:
I'm on it.
Thank you. I knew it had something to do with the center of the earth but what I was not sure of was if the inner core has an effect on gravity also. smiley
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 18, 2017
Where do I start....
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Emusan(m): 4:40pm On Jun 19, 2017
Teempakguy:

So, why does Sun's gravity didn't pull all planets to its Center but instead holds them in space?

Does gravity a scalar quantity or vector quantity?
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by khalhokage(m): 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2017
Emusan:

So, why does Sun's gravity didn't pull all planets to its Center but instead holds them in space?

The sun's gravity isn't holding them in space, rather it's holding them in "orbit" around itself, just like the Earth's gravitational pull holds the moon and other satellites in orbit around itself.
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Emusan(m): 7:06pm On Jun 19, 2017
khalhokage:

The sun's gravity isn't holding them in space, rather it's holding them in "orbit" around itself, just like the Earth's gravitational pull holds the moon and other satellites in orbit around itself.

You're the one who just show us graphics of how gravity works by pulling everything to EARTH'S CENTRE not me, so why would gravity behave like an intelligent thing that knows when to hold something in orbit and when to pull it? That was the reason I asked you whether it's a scalar quantity or vector quantity, which you couldn't answer. If gravity is pulling things to the centre of the earth, then it shouldn't make things go in orbit.

Why would earth's gravity holds moon in orbit when Sun's gravity which is more powerful than earth's own gravity can pass beyond earth to hold planets like Jupiter, Saturn in space? If we should go by your logic!

Lastly, is gravity more stronger towards earth's surface or equal through out its distance?
Re: What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 01, 2017
Emusan:

Gravity is a Vector Field. Now, try to work out what happens to objects trying to move tangentially to a center seeking field and you'll have your answer.

(1) (Reply)

9 Scientific Breakthroughs We Are Going To Witness In The Next Few Years. / The First In The World To Have A Vagina Made Out Of FISH SKIN / Pictures Of A Lion Cub Meeting His Father For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.