Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) (1393 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / The Beauty Queen (a Short Story) / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by Blessytee(f): 5:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
This story is entirely a work of fiction. The names, characters and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to characters or events is entirely coincidental.

It's a story from a budding storyteller. Encourage her.

It was 6:30 am on Friday, Bunbie finally rose to pray as his neighbours had woken him up from their fight fifteen minutes earlier. He had resorted to staring at the partially dark space before him since then.

The fight started when Esther bumped into Eunice as she wanted to curve her way into the passage of the house, making Eunice's pot of soup to fall off her hand.

"Oh! I'm sorry" Esther said in a mild voice.

"Are you blind!" Eunice shouted. They gave these reactions just at the same time.

"Wait, I thought I said I was sorry" Esther replied as she wouldn't take such from anybody not even when she was not at fault [as nobody is at fault]. "Maybe you are deaf…" she added, but before she could finish her statement, a hot slap landed on her face which led to the fight.

As a moralist, Bunbie believed that fighting is never a way to make peace as it would in turn disturb the peace of others.

The fight would not return the soup back to its pot, nor perhaps, would it buy Esther the respect she needed. Lo and behold! everything turned out messy.

"What is the problem with these Christians?"

"I can't even communicate with my God" Bunbie retorted in frustration.

"I would pray when they are done. Sooner, they would say their religion betters others", he said as he rose off his feet with a loud hiss.

"Damn fake religion!"

Those were his last words as he slumped in his bed.

~~~~~

About 4:30 pm on Saturday. The street was alive with people doing what they do best. The boys, with their ball and the girls, playing “luske”. The gossips too were at it. The church took a time out to evangelise.
Bunbie sat at the veranda of the rented “face me I face you” apartment reading a newspaper.

He was soon interrupted by a trio evangelists of which Eunice was one of them.

“Oh! Here comes the religion of violence” he muttered.

“How may I help you?” he said even before they could utter a word.

“We are here to bring you good tidings…” the leader’s statement was cut abruptly by Bunbie’s reaction.

“We are here to bring you good tidings” Bunbie mimicked, “Give this one that good tidings!” he shouted, pointing at Deaconess Eunice as her church members would call her.

“See, I don’t have your time” he said and left for his room.

>>>>>to be continued<<<<<

www.wetrainchristians./

1 Share

Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by Blessytee(f): 5:52pm On Jan 29, 2017
About a month later, another group of evangelists met Bunbie fetching water from a well outside his house. He responded politely to their greetings for he was surprised to see Christians that way. He loved everything about them– they dressed decently (no cleavage-baring outfit, moderate hairstyles and dresses), they helped him draw water and even asked if he had other chores.

“Wow! These people are different” he said to himself.

“Thank you very much sisters” He finally broke the silence that ensued as a result of the work.

“Thank God sir” Kate, the leader of the group replied.

Knowing their mission, he gave them a “what-do-you-want” look out of hatred for Christianity.

“If you don’t mind, can I share the Word of God with you” Kate said, noticing Bunbie’s look.

“Is the Word of God for non-Christians? We have Christians inside, you can go in” he said pointing to the house.

“Thank you sir. But, the Word is for everybody. We can share it with you” she replied.

“Okay, go on but don’t take much of my time” he replied giving a “go-ahead” expression.

“Thank you sir” she replied.

Kate rendered a short prayer to God before starting her message. This prayer opened way for both the preacher and the listeners as she prayed in the Spirit.

“Before proceeding, may I ask you this question? What is your purpose on earth?” she asked.

“My purpose?” He asked. “Well, my purpose is to make money, to make it in life.” He added.

“Good! I love that” she remarked. “Do you know that making it in life depends on God alone?” she paused as she saw the expression on Bunbie’s face.

Guess what! He was intrigued. Anyway, that is the Holy Spirit at work.

“It depends on the one who created the heavens and the earth” she continued, “How do I know this? ‘Cause the one who created all things will care for His creatures by making them prosperous. That is why He sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for you and I so that we can make it to the peak and even to make it to Paradise”

“But this is only possible if we accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour. We must do that now as tomorrow maybe too late, ’cause of the destruction to come upon the unrepentant…”

“Destruction? Why that?” Bunbie asked curiously.

“Oh! Thank you for that question” Kate replied, “To answer that, I would love to hear your judgement on this” she continued.

“As a parent who labours over a child, how would you feel if the child rejects you? What would be your reaction” she asked

“I will reject and deal with him or her mercilessly” he replied with a stern look.

“That’s the destruction– rejection and dealing with the unrepentant mercilessly.” “We are God’s children. He invested in us. Anyone who rejects Him, His Son and His Word will be rejected and destroyed in hell forever.”

“Hmmm!” Bunbie sighed “Okay. What next?”

“Confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour; and invite Him to your heart”, Kate replied.

Bunbie confessed his sins, accepted Jesus as his Lord, and he was
converted. He preached the Gospel to his neighbours thereafter.
Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by Blessytee(f): 5:57pm On Jan 29, 2017
Like Eunice and Esther above, how many times have you “blocked” the salvation of the people around you by your attitude? (As in the second part of the story). How many times have you heard people say “you call yourself a Christian?” Repent today! As carnality cannot please God. Only those who are sanctified can make it to Heaven. Pray to the Father to help you. (see 2 Peter 2:2).

“Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written” (Romans 2:23-24).

The Bible enjoins you, “let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how to answer every man.” (Colossians 4:6). But some so-called Christians neglect this as they lack sound speech and are arrogant like Sister Esther; and short-tempered like Deaconess Eunice [see Titus 2:8]. (You can see other forms of carnality in the story though I mentioned only two). We value titles than our Christian walk. Please wake up!

As the devil blocked the first way through Eunice, God made another way through a lady for the salvation of Bunbie. What if the lady rejected God’s call? What if she didn’t preach just as you fail to preach? That’s how we leave souls for the devil when we fail to obey the clarion call in Matthew 28:19-20.
Note that delay is dangerous.

“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (2 Timothy 4:2).

May God bless you as you do so in Jesus’ name. AMEN.

I implore you to read the story again, note what you learn and work on them through prayer and self-discipline.

Shalom!
Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by Blessytee(f): 6:55pm On Jan 29, 2017
cc: Deraconteur(f), TheNazarene, matrixx9(m), Glory12345(f), emmabest2000(m), JideTheBlogger(m), Bashnigga(m), herzernn, Olajhidey22(m), nelocay(m), elantraceey(f), OAM4J, DonaTee(f), HumbledbYGrace(f), omolola15(m), radical4jesus(f), AudreyTimms(f), Buttersss, Blesssed(f), UjSizzle(f), DammyInforms(m), stenlydxlite(m), Divepen1

3 Likes

Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by TheNazarene: 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
Onward Christian soldiers
Marching out to war
Looking unto Jesus/In the Name of Jesus
We shall conquer!

ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS!!!

Whoever that wrote this story thank God for your life and may God bless you and other Christian writers out there churning out life applicable Christian stories.

God will reward you all handsomely and I pray you won't be found wanting at the time of rapture, in Jesus Name, Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by Blessytee(f): 10:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
TheNazarene:
Onward Christian soldiers
Marching out to war
Looking unto Jesus/In the Name of Jesus
We shall conquer!

ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS!!!

Whoever that wrote this story thank God for your life and may God bless you and other Christian writers out there churning out life applicable Christian stories.

God will reward you all handsomely and I pray you won't be found wanting at the time of rapture, in Jesus Name, Amen.
Amen. Wishing you the same.

And thank you very much.
Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by EngracedMay(f): 11:29am On Jan 30, 2017
Nice one. God bless the writer

1 Like

Re: The Carnal Christians (a Short Story) by Blessytee(f): 6:08pm On Jan 30, 2017
EngracedMay:
Nice one. God bless the writer
Amen. Thank you very much sis.

(1) (Reply)

Poem Titled, War / #18dayswritingchallenge — Writing A Novel In Eighteen Days. / MY BABY’S FATHER “episode 1-49 Completed”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.