Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,458 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? (2967 Views)

Michael McIntyre: Millionaire Who Hated God Gets Saved, Now Helping Christians / Hitler Was Never A Christian And He Hated Christianity / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2017
I still don't know why God loved Jacob and hated Esau.

CC lalasticlala ishilove

Background story.

Abraham's son, Isaac had two sons of his own.
They were twins named Esau (who came out first)
and Jacob. According to the Hebrew law, the
firstborn son was to receive the best part of the
father's inheritance. Esau was a cunning hunter
and Jacob was a simple tent dweller. Isaac loved
his firstborn son and enjoyed the food that he was
able to capture but Isaac's wife loved the
second born son, Jacob most of all.

Once, Esau went on a hunting trip and was unable to obtain food. By the time he had reached his homeland, he was nearly starved to death. His brother Jacob was cooking soup in the field when Esau stumbled upon him. Seeing the food, he begged his brother to allow him to eat or else he would die from starvation. His brother sees, not a chance to help his older brother, but an opportunity to take advantage of his misfortune.b

Jacob says, "I'll sell you some of this soup for
your portion of our father's inheritance." Esau
responds, "Hey, I'm about to die. If I die what
good will my inheritance be to me?" (Genesis
25:32)

So in this manner, Jacob showed his
brotherly love by robbing a dying brother of his
birthright for a bowl of soup. Christians are taught that Esau was the one who did something wrong by not truly appreciating his birthright, ignoring the fact that it was Jacob who took advantage of his brother when he was in dire need.

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
When Isaac had grown old and felt like he was
approaching his deathbed, he decided to give his father's blessing to his oldest son, Esau. Isaac had lost his vision at that point of his life and he wanted Esau to bring him some venison so Esau went out to the field to hunt for his father.

While Esau was in the field, Isaac's wife heard what was going on and came up with a plan to deceive her husband and make him give the father's blessing to Jacob instead. So she told her plan to Jacob, and this is how the story went:

Rebekah: I heard your father ask your brother to
bring him some venison so he could give him the firstborns blessing. I want you to bring me a
couple of goats from the herd and I will prepare
them so that your father will think they are venison and then you can pretend like you are Esau and he will give the blessing to you.

Jacob: But, my brother Esau is hairy. What
happens if my father touches me and finds out that I'm not Esau? Then he'll think I'm trying to deceive him (DUH! Why do you think he would think that) and he will give me a curse instead of a blessing.

Rebekah: Don't worry about any curse, you just do what I say. (Genesis 27:6-13)

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:22pm On Jan 29, 2017
So Rebekah takes the goats and prepares them the way Isaac likes and puts the goat skins on Jacob's hands and neck. Jacob takes the meat to his father and the conversation goes like this:

Jacob: Dad?
Isaac: I'm right here. Who is there?
Jacob: It's me, your firstborn son, Esau. I brought the meat you asked for. Come eat it and give me your blessing.

Isaac: Wait a minute. How were you able to find a deer so quickly?

Jacob: God brought a deer to me.

Isaac: Hmmm...come over here so I can feel you
and make sure you are my son Esau and not some deceptive imposter.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
Jacob has not only lied to his father to steal his
brother's property but he has brought GOD into
his lie. God should have struck him dead, but for
some unknown reason, God didn't. Jacob approached his father and his father felt the goat
fur on his hands and neck.

Isaac says "You have
the voice of Jacob but the hands of Esau."

To make sure he wasn't being deceived, Isaac asked Jacob one more time, "Are you really my son Esau?" Jacob stuck to his lie, telling his father that he was indeed his brother.

So Isaac blessed Jacob with the blessing that was meant for Esau. Right after Jacob left his father's tent, the real Esau showed up with his meat. Now the truth becomes clear to Isaac; his son has deceived him, but for some strange reason, the blessing must stand as it was given. Isaac was only able to give Esau a lesser blessing now. This reveals an interesting aspect of the Hebrews' understanding of "blessings," and that is that once given, they cannot be rescinded.

You would think that once Isaac realized he had been deceived that he would have been able to take back the blessing which Jacob had gained by deception, but that isn't what happened.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
Jacob has not only lied to his father to steal his
brother's property but he has brought GOD into
his lie. God should have struck him dead, but for
some unknown reason, God didn't.

Jacob approached his father and his father felt the goat fur on his hands and neck.

Isaac says "You have
the voice of Jacob but the hands of Esau."

Tomake sure he wasn't being deceived, Isaac asked Jacob one more time, "Are you really my son Esau?"

Jacob stuck to his lie, telling his father that he was indeed his brother. So Isaac blessed Jacob
with the blessing that was meant for Esau. Right
after Jacob left his father's tent, the real Esau
showed up with his meat.

Now the truth becomes clear to Isaac; his son has deceived him, but for some strange reason, the blessing must stand as it was given. Isaac was only able to give Esau a lesser blessing now.
This reveals an interesting aspect of the Hebrews' understanding of "blessings," and that is that once given, they cannot be rescinded. You would think that once Isaac realized he had been deceived that he would have been able to take back the blessing which Jacob had gained by deception, but that isn't what happened.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:29pm On Jan 29, 2017
Isaac blessed Jacob with the following:
Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and
wine:" - Genesis 27:28

Since God is the one who fulfills the blessing, this story suggests that God can be cheated and he can't do what is just and right by giving the
blessing to the one who was supposed to get it
(Esau). How very limited is the God of the Bible!

When Esau learns that his brother has once again cheated him out of what should belong to him, he vows to have justice. Rebekah sends Jacob away to live with relatives for over 14 years to keep him safe from his brother's justifiable wrath.

But Esau stays with his father and cares for him in his old age rather than pursue his deceptive brother and get his revenge.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:35pm On Jan 29, 2017
Jacob eventually returns to the land of his father
but he realizes that his brother has vowed to kill
him for all the injustices he has made his brother so he decides to send messengers out to meet his brother's men. The messengers are told to tell Esau that his brother Jacob is coming home with lots of animals and servants but the messengers come back to Jacob telling him that Esau is already coming to meet them and that he has 400 men with him.

Jacob realizes that he is in dire straights and that justice is about to meet him head on so he divides his group into two groups so that if Esau and his men attack the first group, the second group will have a chance to escape.

Then Jacob prepares a bribe of goats, sheep,
camels, cattle and sends them out to meet Esau in the hopes of gaining his mercy. That night a man wrestled with Jacob and when Jacob defeated the "man" we discover that it was not a man but God himself which Jacob had been wrestling.

After this wrestling match, Jacob's name is changed to "Israel" because he was able to wrestle with God and prevail. Jacob confirms that it is God that h wrestled with when he says, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Genesis 32:30)
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
Finally Esau's men approach Jacob and we get to
see Jacob's bravery at its best. He puts his wives. and children in front of himself, placing the wife he hated (Leah) and her children and handmaids in front of the wife he loved (Rachel) and leaving himself cowering behind them all. (Genesis33:1-2)

What happens next is one of the most touching
scenes of human brotherly love and kindness
exhibited in the Bible. Esau, the brother who has
been abused and mistreated by his own twin all of his life, doesn't strike out at his brother, but he
bows down before each of the wives he passes
and runs to his brother, Jacob, taking him in his
arms and crying on his neck. When he learns that the flocks he passed were a gift, he refuses to accept them saying that he has more than enough already.

His love for his brother has driven the need for vengeance out of his heart and he welcomes Jacob back home with all the love a brother can muster (Genesis 33:3-9).
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by RealLordZeus(m): 7:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
Sarcasm of the highest order....
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 7:54pm On Jan 29, 2017
How does God respond to this act of love and mercy? The Bible tells us that God hated Esau (Romans 9:13) but loved Jacob. Why is this?

Asin....i am not understanding.
Why hate the goood guy and love the theif?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Seun(m): 8:20pm On Jan 29, 2017
Reason: the people who wrote the story didn't think about it that way. They were just trying to create a backstory for their tribe and their God.

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Likei(m): 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
I don't believe in fairy tales, this story is for those in kindergarten.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 9:00pm On Jan 29, 2017
One would expect the deceiver to be punished, instead, he gets all the blessings at the end. This whole story belies the whole idea of a just god. Xtians experts should fall in here and explain better, I might just be missing something.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 10:10pm On Jan 29, 2017
come in pls.
plaetton, johnydon22, benzics, hardmirror, frank317, lennycool, teempakguy, jonbellion, unclesnr, lepasharon, 4kings, capslocked, joywendy, mrmrmister, hopefulLandlord (may you buy house this year ), dalaman
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by blackjack21(m): 11:07pm On Jan 29, 2017
xxxtedyxxx:
One would expect the deceiver to be punished, instead, he gets all the blessings at the end. This whole story belies the whole idea of a just god. Xtians experts should fall in here and explain better, I might just be missing something.

Experts? Twisters!
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by mrmrmister: 11:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
Seun:
Reason: the people who wrote the story didn't think about it that way. They were just trying to create a backstory for their tribe and their God.

You took the words out of me.

The bible is filled with feeble stories that fall apart when scrutinized

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by GoodMuyis(m): 11:18pm On Jan 29, 2017
Am coming
-
Am back.
Now siince you Cut and Paste someone else work without referencing back to him/her, You will get not answer from me

Learn to respect others Work

https://totseans.com/totse/en/religion/christianity/thingsyouwonth179100.html

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by platinumphotos: 11:40pm On Jan 29, 2017
Hmmm,
Kudos to the OP, you have created an interesting story line from the Bible. But you got it wrong by quoting the aspect of the bible where God said he loved Jacob and hated Esau last. That scriptures should have been quoted first because God made that statement right from the time they were in their mother's womb before their birth. So, the button line is that God didn't love Jacob because of is actions or inactions, neither did he hate Esau because of his actions or inactions, He choses those He loves, that's why He alone is called the ALLMIGHTY! Hs said, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy. Let's all pray to be on God's good books.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by alchemist13: 11:43pm On Jan 29, 2017
Cause he's a self-servicer?
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by alchemist13: 11:45pm On Jan 29, 2017
alchemist13:
Cause he's a self-servicer?
God, I hate NL word policing. Ruined the thrust (get it?) of my comment there. cry
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Wilgrea7(m): 1:23am On Jan 30, 2017
this was one of the stories in the bible that made me think deep...
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Elnino4ladies: 3:19am On Jan 30, 2017
platinumphotos:
Hmmm,
Kudos to the OP, you have created an interesting story line from the Bible. But you got it wrong by quoting the aspect of the bible where God said he loved Jacob and hated Esau last. That scriptures should have been quoted first because God made that statement right from the time they were in their mother's womb before their birth. So, the button line is that God didn't love Jacob because of is actions or inactions, neither did he hate Esau because of his actions or inactions, He choses those He loves, that's why He alone is called the ALLMIGHTY! Hs said, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy. Let's all pray to be on God's good books.

Is God impartial?

Why love one and hate the other?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Elnino4ladies: 3:22am On Jan 30, 2017
GoodMuyis:
Am coming
-
Am sewback.
Now siince you Cut and Paste someone else work without referencing back to him/her, You will get not answer from me

You coward
Answer him or STFU
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 6:36am On Jan 30, 2017
GoodMuyis:
Am coming
-
Am back.

thats because you have no answers to give...lol..keep lurking in the shadows.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 6:38am On Jan 30, 2017
Elnino4ladies:

You coward
Answer him or STFU
lol...no mind am....he has nothing to offer or contribute.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 6:43am On Jan 30, 2017
platinumphotos:
Hmmm,

i thought god was supposed to be no respecter of persons. The concept of loving one, and hating the order for no just cause is favourtism at his best.

how about jacob lying with the name of god? I wonder y we always blame yahoo boy pastors when they lie using gods name.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Timzy16(m): 6:54am On Jan 30, 2017
xxxtedyxxx:
I still don't know why God loved Jacob and hated Esau.

CC lalasticlala ishilove

Background story.

u hv 2 read ur bible deligently, jacob apologized esua for what he did bt esua did not forgive him, jacob sent him a lot of goods bt esua did not still forgive, God knowing all heart knew the heart of Jacob dat is now pure towards esua and esua has an unfogiving spirit now said esua i hate due to his unfogiveness(sin) and jacob i love 4 apologizing esua. dere z no unrighteous with God. Remb d word of God if ure broda tresspass against u forgive him.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:56am On Jan 30, 2017
Timzy16:

u hv 2 read ur bible deligently, jacob apologized esua for what he did bt esua did not forgive him, jacob sent him a lot of goods bt esua did not still forgive, God knowing all heart knew the heart of Jacob dat is now pure towards esua and esua has an unfogiving spirit now said esua i hate due to his unfogiveness(sin) and jacob i love 4 apologizing esua. dere z no unrighteous with God. Remb d word of God if ure broda tresspass against u forgive him.

the story seems to disagree with your post.. Esau forgave Jacob... he even hugged him when he saw him.. and no where in the bible did it state that Jacob was sorry for what he did.. he deceived his brother purposefully.. his brother and his father.. the deed was done.. there is no justification for that.. Esau wasn't even the one with the hard heart.. the story disagrees with your post

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by platinumphotos: 9:59am On Jan 30, 2017
[quote author=xxxtedyxxx post=53252590]

i thought god was supposed to be no respecter of persons. The concept of loving one, and hating the order for no just cause is favourtism at his best.

how about jacob lying with the name of god? I wonder y we always blame yahoo boy pastors when they lie using gods name. [/quovte]

The Apostle Paul explains better, given us insight into the concept of God's Mercy and choice.
Romans 9:11-16
11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that callethwink

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by platinumphotos: 10:02am On Jan 30, 2017
[quote author=Elnino4ladies post=53251344]

The Apostle Paul explains better, given us insight into the concept of God's Mercy and choice.
Romans 9:11-16
11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that callethwink

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by GoodMuyis(m): 10:35am On Jan 30, 2017
xxxtedyxxx:

thats because you have no answers to give...lol..keep lurking in the shadows.

Did you asked question? NO
Are you a Bible Student? NO
Are you seeking knowledge? NO
Are you a Joker? O yea, YES

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Say He Hated Esau? by tintingz(m): 10:37am On Jan 30, 2017
Sound like a fairytale.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheism Is Mind Control. / When Mercy Speaks. / Did Atheists Saw In The Spiritual To Be Very Sure That God Do Not Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.