Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,007 members, 7,825,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? (4975 Views)

AI (alien Intelligence) And The Question Of God - How Atheist & Theist Are Right / Ex-theists/atheists, How Did You View Atheists When You Were A Theist? / I Am No Longer A Theist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
We've done lots of debates on the internet, we've won many and lost many, we've learnt a lot in the process, we've helped many deconvert, many have had their faith shaken and unstable due to our online activities

on one hand it fells good having to air opinions that would've been almost impossible to air

on another hand however is that we are restricting this to online debates and it doesn't look like it would progress to physical debates anytime soon

this is robbing us of OUR Christopher Hitchens, Matt Dillhaunty, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins etc

yes it's hard, yes there are many who wouldn't wanna bear the risk of being known as atheist eg pastor's and deacon's children or those whose means of livelihood and/or Safety is connected to giving appearances; I'm not talking about such people

I'm talking those who can take the risk or those who don't see it as risk at all

getting a theist to engage wouldn't be that difficult cuz we know there's nothing to lose for them

could this be possible? oh yes

How long before it happens?

or has it been happening and I'm not aware?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 8:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
plaetton, johnnydon22, benzics, hardmirror, frank317, lennycool, teempakguy, jonbellion, unclesnr, lepasharon, 4kings, capslocked, joywendy, mrmrmister, dalaman, Despiero
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 8:46pm On Jan 29, 2017
Who has time for that? Only the fo.ol says there's no God
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. - Psalm 14:1

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 9:11pm On Jan 29, 2017
thesicilian:
Who has time for that? Only the fo.ol says there's no God

okay, you've been noticed

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by johnydon22(m): 9:32pm On Jan 29, 2017
I am sure there have been many of such but not in a grand scale...

I have being invited to such a debate and i debated that night, enjoyed every bit of it...

Anyway I'm game when ever theists and atheists here decide to organize a live debate...

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hahn(m): 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
Johnydon22 had a debate last year even though he has refused to share it with us

Maybe he doesn't want to to make fun of his height tongue

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hahn(m): 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
johnydon22:

I have being invited to such a debate and i debated that night, enjoyed every bit of it...

Anyway I'm game when ever theists and atheists here decide to organize a live debate...

Guy, where is the video now? You promised o abi you don dey copy God? cheesy

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by johnydon22(m): 9:34pm On Jan 29, 2017
hahn:
Johnydon22 had a debate last year even though he has refused to share it with us

Maybe he doesn't want to to make fun of his height tongue

You know i am very much proud of my height - that's the best part of being me..

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by johnydon22(m): 9:35pm On Jan 29, 2017
hahn:

I never get am na.. No be document am..
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hahn(m): 9:37pm On Jan 29, 2017
johnydon22:

You know i am very much proud of my height - that's the best part of being me..

I believe. I will still dribble the hell out of you on any bball court tongue

johnydon22:

I never get am na.. No be document am..

Why na? undecided
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by johnydon22(m): 9:43pm On Jan 29, 2017
hahn:

I believe. I will still dribble the hell out of you on any bball court tongue
na poster you go collect

Why na? undecided
geee i wonder...
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hahn(m): 9:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
johnydon22:
na poster you go collect

geee i wonder...

It is spiritual cool
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by jimmyjenseng(m): 10:12pm On Jan 29, 2017
A physical debate will definitely be interesting. One should be fixed soon na.
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by mrmrmister: 11:01pm On Jan 29, 2017
Actually, I'm a closet atheist.

Everyone around me is religious, so I dare not reveal myself grin
They'll start casting and binding me grin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by DeSepiero(m): 11:23pm On Jan 29, 2017
Once in a while, I'd like to see such a debate on Channels TV's Sunrise Daily.

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by HCpaul(m): 11:48pm On Jan 29, 2017
mrmrmister:

That's just it. I don't really think that we are safe in this country. I currently don't think of revealing myself offline cuz I don't want my religious family and country to play a religious stunts on me. They are killing those that believe in God.... Imagine what will happen to us that doesn't believe in God

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by jimmyjenseng(m): 12:02am On Jan 30, 2017
mrmrmister:

I understand how it feels to be surrounded by religious folks and the threat they pose but hiding doesn't help either. It's time atheists brought the real true to the fore and one of the ways by which this can be done effectively is through the gospel of oneself.
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 30, 2017
The reason Y this will be very difficult is simple. Once you come out in the open for such debates, Yahoo-Yahoo G.Os such as Adeboye, Oyedepo, Kumuyi, DK Olukoya, TB Joshua & Oyakhilome who proclaim Jesus & Yahweh's name in the broad-day while making sacrifices to the spiritual authority that backs their ministries at night (e.g Ifa, Ogun, Eshu, Obatala etc) will go to any length just to make a scape-goat out of you for attempting to pour sand-sand into their garri (i.e blocking their sources of income).

Enoch Adeboye alone can afford to sacfrifice more than 6 Cows & 6 Pigs to his "Ifa" which he keeps at Ogere (confirmed from a reliable source) or even offer 6 Alsatian or Tibetan mastiff dogs to Ogun Lakaaye Oshimale just to fvck up your life - and trust me, things will start going wrong for such a scape-goat unless such person is also wealthy & ready to spend twice the amount to make sacrifices to those orishas inorder to counter the attacks from the Yahoo-Yahoo GOs. grin cheesy grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by Immorttal: 6:35am On Jan 30, 2017
hahn:

Yahweh 2.0 grin

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by Deicide: 6:52am On Jan 30, 2017
Except we wanna form our own radio station or something
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 8:14am On Jan 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I'll rather your attention goes to Jesus Christ.
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 8:14am On Jan 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by notjonbellion(m): 8:50am On Jan 30, 2017
johnydon22:

seems like you were the only athiest in the debate
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by johnydon22(m): 8:57am On Jan 30, 2017
notjonbellion:
seems like you were the only athiest in the debate

The guy on red is
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 11:08pm On Jan 30, 2017
thesicilian:
and what would Jesus give me asides posthumous promises

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by hahn(m): 11:15pm On Jan 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

More posthumous unverifiable promises cheesy

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 5:52am On Jan 31, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

He'll bring a purpose to your existence, give your life a meaning.

2 Likes

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by akintom(m): 7:27am On Jan 31, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
We've done lots of debates on the internet, we've won many and lost many, we've learnt a lot in the process, we've helped many deconvert, many have had their faith shaken and unstable due to our online activities

on one hand it fells good having to air opinions that would've been almost impossible to air

on another hand however is that we are restricting this to online debates and it doesn't look like it would progress to physical debates anytime soon

this is robbing us of OUR Christopher Hitchens, Matt Dillhaunty, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins etc

yes it's hard, yes there are many who wouldn't wanna bear the risk of being known as atheist eg pastor's and deacon's children or those whose means of livelihood and/or Safety is connected to giving appearances; I'm not talking about such people

I'm talking those who can take the risk or those who don't see it as risk at all

getting a theist to engage wouldn't be that difficult cuz we know there's nothing to lose for them

could this be possible? oh yes

How long before it happens?

or has it been happening and I'm not aware?
Our society isn't that that yet value or consider intellectual debate, as a cardinal factor in pushing the frontier of knowledge and understanding.

Even in our universities, forum for regular intellectual debate is scarce.

Atheists/theists debate on air will become regular with time, how soon will depend on how soon the theists will become VERY angry at the onslaught of atheists on their faith.

The theists will be the challenger.
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by akintom(m): 7:37am On Jan 31, 2017
Zoharariel:
The reason Y this will be very difficult is simple. Once you come out in the open for such debates, Yahoo-Yahoo G.Os such as Adeboye, Oyedepo, Kumuyi, DK Olukoya, TB Joshua & Oyakhilome who proclaim Jesus & Yahweh's name in the broad-day while making sacrifices to the spiritual authority that backs their ministries at night (e.g Ifa, Ogun, Eshu, Obatala etc) will go to any length just to make a scape-goat out of you for attempting to pour sand-sand into their garri (i.e blocking their sources of income).

Enoch Adeboye alone can afford to sacfrifice more than 6 Cows & 6 Pigs to his "Ifa" which he keeps at Ogere (confirmed from a reliable source) or even offer 6 Alsatian or Tibetan mastiff dogs to Ogun Lakaaye Oshimale just to fvck up your life - and trust me, things will start going wrong for such a scape-goat unless such person is also wealthy & ready to spend twice the amount to make sacrifices to those orishas inorder to counter the attacks from the Yahoo-Yahoo GOs. grin cheesy grin

well, this is the type of fear that binds folks to religion. An atheist, worth that name have no regard for irrational fears.

Prof douglas anele, of the unilag, has been on for years publicly, through his atheistic articles in newspapers, been pain in the neck of theists. Nothing do am.

5 Likes

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 31, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

grin u have a interesting username
Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by Ranchhoddas: 9:42am On Jan 31, 2017
You want people to be ostracized, or worse okwia?

1 Like

Re: When Will We Have The First Organised Theist/Atheist physical Debate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 31, 2017
akintom:
well, this is the type of fear that binds folks to religion. An atheist, worth that name have no regard for irrational fears.

Prof douglas anele, of the unilag, has been on for years publicly, through his atheistic articles in newspapers, been pain in the neck of theists. Nothing do am.

Well, you maybe right. I do not know Prof. Douglas Anele and nobody knows whether he has Ifa or any other traditional orisha that he offers sacrifices to - for fortification.

Take Prof. Wole Soyinka for instance, he is a known atheist who has never shied away from proclaiming his atheistic views - yet he is an ardent worshipper of Ogun Lakaaye Oshimale. Infact, his email address is (eniogun@aol.com).

Eni Ogun in yoruba literarily means the one of Ogun.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cherubim And Seraphim Has Come Again Oo / See Top 10 Richest Pastors In Nigeria And Their Net Worth / Atheists, Christians, Muslims And Deists Are All Irrational People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.