Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. (955 Views)

Structural Engineers In The House / Engage True "STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS" - No More Quacks. / Come For Your Structural, Electrical & Mechanical Design Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 5:53pm On Jan 30, 2017
Hi all,
I'm about to become a home owner, my house is still in its early block laying stages and this is the time I think is best to correct all design errors.
My engineer actually created a large and spacious living room for me, which I absolutely love, but my dilemma lies in the fact that all the walls in the living room have windows...
I can't imagine how i'll arrange my TV set and electronics in between windows.
My engineer assures me it's ok but I think it's a disaster, Am I wrong?
Please I need professionals to help me out here.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Alasi20(m): 6:11pm On Jan 30, 2017
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by black9jaberry: 9:03pm On Jan 30, 2017
What did your engineer say?
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Structuralman: 9:13pm On Jan 30, 2017
Mimicole:
Hi all,
I'm about to become a home owner, my house is still in its early block laying stages and this is the time I think is best to correct all design errors.
My engineer actually created a large and spacious living room for me, which I absolutely love, but my dilemma lies in the fact that all the walls in the living room have windows...
Thanks in advance.

This is not a structural design problem. Its an architectural problem. Lucky for you at this stage it MAY still be able to be corrected depending on the drawing plan. Is the house a duplex or a bungalow? Am guessing its a bungalow...
Candid advice: Get a registered architect and a certified engineer to help you redesign the structure. Quacks make us engineers look silly.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 5:28am On Jan 31, 2017
Structuralman:

This is not a structural design problem. Its an architectural problem. Lucky for you at this stage it MAY still be able to be corrected depending on the drawing plan. Is the house a duplex or a bungalow? Am guessing its a bungalow...
Candid advice: Get a registered architect and a certified engineer to help you redesign the structure. Quacks make us engineers look silly.
It's a bungalow. So far all the advice my engineer has given me concerning the project have been on point, this is the only issue i'm having since the work started, I don't think I should fire him because of that.
I just need other professional views on this issue in order to compare.
But even without any knowledge of designing buildings I just know it will be wrong to place a TV set in between two windows.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 5:49am On Jan 31, 2017
black9jaberry:
What did your engineer say?
Now there are four walls in the living room, and there are openings in all of them, the walls facing the street have 2 windows and he says he can't close them because it will reduce the aesthetics of the building from the view of a passerby (which I agree, so that one is out)
The second wall facing the porch has one window, he says he can't close it because that's the only way you can see whats happening inside the compound or who is standing at your entrance without necessarily opening the door (I also agree, so that one is out)
The 3rd wall has both the entrance into the dining area and the entrance into the hallway so it's also out.
The 4th wall however has a window that overlooks the next compound, I suggested that he closes this one because the dining area also has a window on the same side, but he says if he closes it I'll later regret it. For me that is not a good reason, because unlike the other walls he is not giving me a cogent reason to leave it open.
I just feel every where in the living room can't have an opening, where will I arrange my TV set and other electronics. I'm very concerned about this.
Thanks.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by kobenol(m): 9:12pm On Feb 17, 2017
@OP
Why don't you upload a plan so your explanations get visual.
@Structuralman was absolutely correct. It's purely architectural issue. You should have related your briefs with your design Architect.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by jeftalene(m): 9:33pm On Feb 18, 2017
Mimicole:
Hi all,
Thanks in advance.

Lol...there is absolutely nothing wrong in having windows on all the walls in your living room really, the idea could be to satisfy aesthetics, ventilation and day lighting requirements. However Op, if you are not comfortable with that sort of design, you may bring it to the notice of the architect/designer who drew it up, to see if he/she could make some adjustments that would still satisfy the relevant functional requirements. Afterwards you relate the redesign with your engineer so he could make the necessary adjustments, if any.

For other professional advice, you can contact me via call/whatsapp on 08167394799 or visit my blog on www.engineerosaz..com
Best of luck on your project!
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by opalu: 2:32am On Feb 19, 2017
Simply block one windows which you consider the most unnecessary with respect to Cross-ventilation. Let a Bricklayer buy some blocks and cement and cover it.

This is not a structural engineering problem so long as you are not knocking off a column (pillar). We structural engineers especially registered ones see concrete and steel members as the skeleton and muscle of buildings. All other finishes are cosmetics and wears that you can change and adjust

1 Like

Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 5:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
opalu:
Simply block one windows which you consider the most unnecessary with respect to Cross-ventilation. Let a Bricklayer buy some blocks and cement and cover it.

This is not a structural engineering problem so long as you are not knocking off a column (pillar). We structural engineers especially registered ones see concrete and steel members as the skeleton and muscle of buildings. All other finishes are cosmetics and wears that you can change and adjust
Thanks that's exactly what I did.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 5:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
jeftalene:

Lol...there is absolutely nothing wrong in having windows on all the walls in your living room really, the idea could be to satisfy aesthetics, ventilation and day lighting requirements. However Op, if you are not comfortable with that sort of design, you may bring it to the notice of the architect/designer who drew it up, to see if he/she could make some adjustments that would still satisfy the relevant functional requirements. Afterwards you relate the redesign with your engineer so he could make the necessary adjustments, if any.

For other professional advice, you can contact me via call/whatsapp on 08167394799 or visit my blog on www.engineerosaz..com
Best of luck on your project!
Thanks, your input helped.
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 5:26pm On Feb 22, 2017
Thanks to everyone who dropped a word. I appreciate
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Structuralman: 8:22pm On Mar 03, 2017
Mimicole:

It's a bungalow. So far all the advice my engineer has given me concerning the project have been on point, this is the only issue i'm having since the work started, I don't think I should fire him because of that.
I just need other professional views on this issue in order to compare.
But even without any knowledge of designing buildings I just know it will be wrong to place a TV set in between two windows.

Stumbled upon this and thought that you might find it useful.

https://www.nairaland.com/3040875/very-important-mistakes-architects-make
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 10:13am On Mar 13, 2017
Structuralman:

Stumbled upon this and thought that you might find it useful.

https://www.nairaland.com/3040875/very-important-mistakes-architects-make

Ok thanks. Will check it out

1 Like

Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by ThugCheetah(m): 11:38am On Mar 13, 2017
Mimicole:
HBD
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by Mimicole(f): 8:24pm On Mar 15, 2017
ThugCheetah:
HBD
Hmmmm thank you
Re: Design Dilenma! Structural Engineers Please I'm In Desperate Need Of Advice. by donstan18: 2:35pm On Mar 09, 2019
Mimicole:
Hello.

(1) (Reply)

Sitting Room Sofa For Sale / Want To Build, Buy,rent Or Sale A House Or Land In Lekki/Ajah(lagos)? Call Now / Cost Of Decking One Unit Of 2 Bedroom And One Unit Of 3bedroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.