Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Lessons I Learned While Living In England - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lessons I Learned While Living In England (1518 Views)

Hidden Life Rules That I Learned Too Late In Life / Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women / 4 Lessons I Learned From My Abusive Father About Forgiveness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons I Learned While Living In England by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 01, 2017
It had always been my wish to travel to England either as a student or as a tourist, so one day the opportunity came.

I traveled as a student, as I was lucky to get a college student visa. I was so excited, and started preparations right away!

Every necessary document I needed was sorted out by my parents; they gave me money that I needed to last me for a while, as I had permission to work as a student.

They paid for my flight ticket, and handed me over to my maternal aunt who also lived in London. She was duly informed about my itinerary.

My aunt was at the airport to pick me thirty minutes before we touched down at Heathrow airport. I was happy for a safe landing.

We drove straight to her house in north London where she lived with her husband, the only son she has was married and lived in Birmingham, Uk.

I was happy that finally, my dreams of coming to the UK came true. We talked about Nigeria and things happening with the economy and all that.

The next two days were spent in doors as they were Saturday and Sunday. Only that my aunt and her husband went to Sunday service.

Early on Monday morning, I literally jumped out of the bed, I had to get to the college on time to register and to collect every student information I could get.

School eventually started, and honestly it was totally different from what I was used to in Nigeria. Every lecturer was on time, lectures started and ended at the right time!

Finally I ran out of cash, even though my aunt saw to my feeding and accommodation; I needed money for my own personal expenses as a student.

I wouldn’t want to ask my aunt for money to buy sanitary pads! So I went in search of jobs, I was immediately advised to go to ‘job center’ to search and apply for one.

I was lucky I got one after I applied, I started right away, because I had to replace someone who’d been sick for a while.

As soon as started working (I worked 20 hours per week as a student), I started making plans to get my own accommodation!

While at work, I came close to so many white people, from England and other European countries as well, especially Polish people.

I got to learn that it’s forbidden to come to work late, without first calling 30 minutes earlier to inform the person in charge about your late coming!

These were things I rarely come across in my Nigeria, in fact I started regretting coming to the UK, the rules and laws were too much for me to cope with.

I recall walking into a convenient shop to buy a calling card called ‘talk home,’ I entered the shop and walked straight to the counter, ignoring the queue!

It was after a man in his forties called my attention to join the queue, that I realized there was actually a queue and that I jumped it.

I felt a bit embarrassed at myself, for acting so unruly and uncivilized, but from that day onward till today, I never jumped queues again!

I learned how not to be confrontational with people when there’s a misunderstanding or a situation.

I learned uncountable things while in UK, I will talk more about that in my subsequent post about the lessons I learned while living in England.

To be Continued...

Read other interesting topics @ http://www.chichiuncensored.com

5 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 01, 2017
Chaiomsy:
It had always been my wish to travel to England either as a student or as a tourist, so one day the opportunity came.

I traveled as a student, as I was lucky to get a college student visa. I was so excited, and started preparations right away!

Every necessary document I needed was sorted out by my parents; they gave me money that I needed to last me for a while, as I had permission to work as a student.

They paid for my flight ticket, and handed me over to my maternal aunt who also lived in London. She was duely informed about my itinerary.

My aunt was at the airport to pick me thirty minutes before we touched down at Heathrow airport. I was happy for a safe landing.

We drove straight to her house in north London where she lived with her husband, the only son she had was married and lived in Birmingham, Uk.

I was happy that finally, my dreams of coming to the UK came true. We talked about Nigeria and things happening with the economy and all that.

The next two days were spent in doors as they were Saturday and Sunday. Only that my aunt and her husband went to Sunday service.

Early on Monday morning, I literally jumped out of the bed, I had to get to the college on time to register and to collect every student information I could get.

School eventually started, and honestly it was totally different from what I was used to in Nigeria. Every lecturer was on time, lectures started and ended at the right time!

Finally I ran out of cash, even though my aunt saw to my feeding and accommodation; I needed money for my own personal expenses as a student.

I wouldn’t want to ask my aunt for money to buy sanitary pads! So I went in search of jobs, I was immediately advised to go to ‘job center’ to search and apply for one.

I was lucky I got one after I applied, I started right away, because I had to replace someone who’d been sick for a while.

As soon as started working (I worked 20 hours per week as a student), I started making plans to get my own accommodation!

While at work, I came close to so many white people, from England and other European countries as well, especially Polish people.

I got to learn that it’s forbidden to come to work late, without first calling 30 minutes earlier to inform the person in charge about your late coming!

These were things I rarely come across in my Nigeria, in fact I started regretting coming to the UK, the rules and laws were too much for me to cope with.

I recall walking into a convenient shop to buy a calling card called ‘talk home,’ I entered the shop and walked straight to the counter, ignoring the queue!

It was after a man in his forties called my attention to join the queue, that I realized there was actually a queue and that I jumped it.

I felt a bit embarrassed at myself, for acting so unruly and uncivilized, but from that day onward till today, I never jumped queues again!

I learned how not to be confrontational with people when there’s a misunderstanding or a situation.

I learned uncountable things while in UK, I will talk more about that in my subsequent post about the lessons I learned while living in England.

To be Continued...

Read other interesting topics @ http://www.chichiuncensored.com
too i dont even know what to type sef.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by otosa(m): 10:12am On Feb 01, 2017
Please, I must finish watching this movie before resume to office by 11:30.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by janejive(f): 10:37am On Feb 01, 2017
I enjoyed your write up, thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 01, 2017
gringringrin
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2017
Make I chill here

I'm dreaming of travelling one of these days.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by Yorobastard(m): 1:32am On Feb 02, 2017
True....Never argue with anyone in the UK like its done in Nigeria.....You may end up getting killed.

You go to class 3 times a week in college and University...Nice Writeup OP

5 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by Firstcitizen: 5:35am On Feb 02, 2017
Yorobastard:
True....Never argue with anyone in the UK like its done in Nigeria.....You may end up getting killed.

You go to class 3 times a week in college and University...Nice Writeup OP

No one will kill you here for arguing. Its just that the English are different when enraged and still speak very calmly and even smile. Unlike Nigerians that shout and scream "Do you know who I am"

They have this kind of quick deceitful smile when you make eye contact that makes you think they are friendly people. Most of them are not.

I enjoyed the short write up though.

6 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by nnamdiosu(m): 8:39am On Feb 02, 2017
Pls op continue. I'm so hooked up to this

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by ephi123(f): 11:10am On Feb 02, 2017
Firstcitizen:

No one will kill you here for arguing. Its just that the English are different when enraged and still speak very calmly and even smile. Unlike Nigerians that shout and scream "Do you know who I am"

They have this kind of quick deceitful smile when you make eye contact that makes you think they are friendly people. Most of them are not.

I enjoyed the short write up though.

You are totally spot on. Trust them at your peril.
In the workplace, you have to learn very well how to read between the lines, otherwise you are completely on your own.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by austinereds(m): 11:29am On Feb 02, 2017
okaree am waiting for more.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England by KateFowler: 11:38pm On Feb 05, 2017
I was in London several times before and it was wonderful time. I was in all theatre and events that I hardly remember everything. I used https://ticketselect.co.uk/events/london guide to know what kind of event is going to be. What kind of performances have you seen?

(1) (Reply)

Large Centre Rugs For Homes & Offices / My Bitter Experience With Frsc / Dna, Sex And Sex Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.