Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) (45589 Views)

Why Do People Keep Their Salaries Secret? / Police Teargas Nigerdock Staff Over Protest Of Unpaid Salaries (Pics) / How A Guy Was Fired By One Of The Biggest Oil Companies In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by CChild(f): 9:20pm On Jan 15, 2007
Hello people,
I am a regular viewer of this site and i am posting for the first time. I must say that i am quite impresssed to see that such a site even exists! More power to the elbows of the creators.
I have a few comments though, I've noticed that most times, when people ask for information especially regarding test or interview formats, the usual response that they get is something like " When did you apply"? "Can i still apply"? "where is the venue"? "I applied sometime ago but havent got a response"? e.t.c, I think it's not very helpful. The least we can do is to acknowledge the question in the first place and provide a helpful answer or apologise if we don't have any before proceeeding with our questions.
There, i guess i won't make many friends with an entree like this!!!

Ok, so my first question, many people would like Oil and Gas jobs (including me!!!!). Could anyone KINDLY tell us what their entry pay is like i.e. Shell, Mobil e.t.c and how it compares with banking jobs?
Thanks i anticipation of helpful answers,

Much love,
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Seun(m): 9:29pm On Jan 15, 2007
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by TemiD1: 8:50pm On Jan 16, 2007
hello ma people ,

man sincerely i ve same prob, some ppl takes this forum 4 granted they post watever here, its nt surposed 2 b so, anyway i wish every naija d best.

temi
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by SassyDiva(f): 6:03am On Jan 17, 2007
seun
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Lalas(m): 7:49am On Jan 20, 2007
u guys are wonderful!, the hommie jus said no one really answers the questions or talk on the topic and u guys are jus displaying exactly what he does not want?? except that one person that gave a site for viewin at least
my guy or girl, wotever, depending on the bank and depending on the oils copmany, their salaries differ slighty,
the big guns in the oil and gas pay pretty well, while banks like ETB give them a run for their money,
but which one u wan do

1 Like

Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Ndipe(m): 7:59am On Jan 20, 2007
How much is enough for one to live comfortably in Naija?
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by CChild(f): 6:32pm On Jan 20, 2007
Thanks a lot Lalas, you get my drift for sure.

Actually the reason i was asking the question is that right now i work in a bank, a good one too but the job kinda sucks, u know marketing (more like begging!) and i'm getting weary.

I'm not entry level but my problem is i may have a chance to switch to oil and gas but the options are just for entry leve!!!

It feels a bit like demotion but i guess i wont feel so bad if the pay is almost the same or more than what i'm getting now,

You get my drift?
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2007
You have spoken well my brother. Yuo didnt tell the house what hindered you from joining us a long time ago. I just joined in too cos the site wasnt allowing new members. As regards your questions i hope entry level guys can help us out. Welcome to the club. may your dream job come soon. search globally too, nigeria is just one country in the whole wild world!!
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Lalas(m): 9:14pm On Jan 21, 2007
i know what i'm about to say will definately raise eye brows, but what the ****.
guy about that ur decision, if u are still young and i mean b/w25 and 28 still pursue acquiring more skills in a field u hope to die in!!! b4 u think of the money, fine the money is always good, but it only differentiates us from our peers for a while, if staying in an oil and gas company or a bank leaves u in ur same field of study, then go for the higher paying one, but if not, stay with the one u intend to practise in, believing strongly that u are bound to make it.
One love and good luck!!
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by TheOne2(m): 11:46pm On Jan 21, 2007
CChild

Let me answer your question simply:

Oil companies: Btw 3.6 - 4.8 million basic going up to 6 - 8 million per annum when you talk about TOTAL RENUMERATION.

Banks: Btw 1.3 - 2.3 million per annum.

When I say oil companies, I am talking about PRODUCING companies like Shell, Chevron, Mobil etc. I know oil servicing companies (schlumberger, Haliburton, Geoservices etc) have a wide range of salaries depending on where you are and what arm of their business you are in.

Let me know if you are interested in those.

1 Like

Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by nikynike(f): 9:53am On Jan 22, 2007
But C child, u are in a free world. Apply to the oil company and submit ur application to the right place. Make sure u have all their requirements. If u are called for interview u have to attend it but if u are not called, u have to try again.But if u are selected among others, they will reveal ur pay to u so that u can compare it with that of the bank.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by CChild(f): 12:10pm On Jan 22, 2007
My people,
I cant say enough how much i appreciate you all. AdeCisco
AdeCisco, didnt join since because i only came to know about the site last month and i was still studying it.
Lalas, U've got a good head on your shoulders. However, i'm in a quagmire right now cos the two jobs are different but i've got essential skills in both. I love Marketing but i dont see my self learning anything new from my current job. I've been doing the same thing for almost two years now and i really need a fresh challenge. My colleagues are the only ones that make the job worthwhile. They are not like family, they ARE family and if i leave here, i dont know ifi'll get that same kind of work environment seeing that we spend most of our lifetime at work!
The One, thanks for your straight answer. I meant producing companies, but i really didnt think that they paid that much. No offence, but are you certain that those figures are for ENTRY LEVEL?
Nikynike, i have applied already and was invited for a test in a few weeks time. Thanks.

Holler back.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by TheOne2(m): 12:18pm On Jan 22, 2007
CChild

Those figures are for entry level. Trust me henn, I KNOW!! wink

You see the thing is that most people in the oil industry would not actually tell you what they earn because of the NIGERIAN SITUATION. The moment you reveal it, then all your immediate and extended family, people from your village and stuff tend to think you should start solving their financial problems and if you don't, they become your enemies. So folks just generally say, hmm, around 150K a month.

What I've quoted for you are entry level stuff OK.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by ono(m): 1:04pm On Jan 22, 2007
The One:

CChild

Those figures are for entry level. Trust me henn, I KNOW!! wink

You see the thing is that most people in the oil industry would not actually tell you what they earn because of the NIGERIAN SITUATION. The moment you reveal it, then all your immediate and extended family, people from your village and stuff tend to think you should start solving their financial problems and if you don't, they become your enemies. So folks just generally say, hmm, around 150K a month.

What I've quoted for you are entry level stuff OK.

Interesting.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by adechuks(m): 1:22pm On Jan 22, 2007
Hi All,
TheOne is quite right, u know.

I just left the banking industry for the oil producing 2 months ago, spent 2 years in the banking world myself, so i humbly say i'm an authority in the two,
The difference is actually clear,

i'm a xtian, and i've come to believe that it was not my smartness (and believe me, i'm smart) but God's favour that gave the job, so i can only advise that you trust God and know all your stuff.

All the BEST, CChild

1 Like

Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by ono(m): 1:39pm On Jan 22, 2007
You guys are creating a ''favourable'' environment for con-men and robbers to start kidnapping and attacking oil workers. If you continue like this, all oil men in Warri and Portharcourt and beyond will be prime targets for hired assasins and killers. Make una leave oil people alone o!

Who does not know that the average oil man in this country goes home with ''armed-robber salary'' per month.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by wyzewun1: 2:36pm On Jan 22, 2007
hmmmm this is nice, guys, why dont we consider software companies in nigeria and what they pay? i think they pay well too,
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by bigtt76(f): 7:33am On Jan 23, 2007
Please get the job first and the rates will be added unto you!! I believe this is the major reason so many people are unemployed in Nigeria today, everyone wants the highest paid job and so everyone goes for similar qualifications, same aptitude test and in the end roam same street still searching for same job. Abeg me bros dem, get a job first! abi wetin una all think? I know brilliant o but I intelligent small cool
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by danderson(f): 8:33pm On Jan 25, 2007
When I say oil companies, I am talking about PRODUCING companies like Shell, Chevron, Mobil etc. I know oil servicing companies (schlumberger, Haliburton, Geoservices etc) have a wide range of salaries depending on where you are and what arm of their business you are in.

Please what about the NNPC salary scale and condition of servive.i gues many guys are interested to have an idea of renumeration in this so called Govt parastatal.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Piddo(m): 5:58pm On Jan 29, 2007
shocked Haba TheOne, Entry level salary of 500-650k a month in Nigeria I beg to disagree vehemently. Even if it is the total package like you are trying to point out, it still doesnt come anywhere near (for entry level I must emphasize). A figure like 250-300k a month is more like it and I can say "I know too" because I am in the industry. Nigeria is fast improving and we thank God for that but we are yet to hit the $5000 a month salary mark for entry level.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by TheOne2(m): 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2007
Piddo,

where do u work let me tell you your salary wink

I honestly don't know how to answer you. What I can simply tell you is that the package for Total, Chevron and Mobil is more than 6 million per annum for entry level. At least I got that when I started and evrybody that I know got that. Maybe you are a contract staff?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by chikejude(m): 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2007
Team selfemployment
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Cuteness(f): 10:00pm On Feb 04, 2007
hi,
just joined this website and cldnt help but respond to ur question.it seems rare to find people dat wld sincerely tell u wat dey earn especially those working in the oil/gas producing companies though "the one" seems really confident of his replies i wld advise that u apply to adifferent companies of ur intrest and see how it goes from der(while still retaining ur present job of course)
tk kare.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by jones04: 2:34am On Nov 10, 2007
Hello

Please I would like to know how much Chevron pays their contract staff. Anybody have any idea should please enlighten me.

thanks
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by dewise3(m): 10:47am On Feb 06, 2008
ono, though this response is late compared to when u sent ur posting but still ur comment got my ribs cracking.
"armed-robber salary" na wah for you oh! tongue
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by begood1: 9:19am On Jul 25, 2008
some oil servicing companies pay like 55,000 USD per annum to their IM employees and about N3.5 - 4.5M p/a to the Home country employees,
You can pm to know the company in question.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by faceme2: 4:49am On Jan 07, 2009
pls can someone help me with the take home figures in the 'producing' oil
and gas companies, cos that is what matters to me , wink
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by carnal: 11:31am On Jan 12, 2009
@beegood1, i beg to disagree with your figures on oil companies.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by okeyz(m): 7:54pm On Jan 12, 2009
the one is telling the truth
i have a friend who is a driller in halliburton he earns close to 4 - 5 miller basic salary excluding offshore bonuses.
he has been oppressing me ever since, i know that God will locate me to chevron this year so i can get my revenge !!!!
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by struguru: 9:09pm On Jan 12, 2009
Everyone needs to update himself properly cos things are changing seriously in the oil and gas industry. Those figures are very accurate and believe me or not, there are many who earn even more than that at entry level. The current range is (350 - 550k) for producing companies. For some, u can even get up to 750k. It all depends on how u enter and what position u are getting into. wink I dont know much about banks but I can tell u that the banking industry (on the average) can not get u as much as what the oil and gas industry can. Do ur research properly, there are many silent Millionnaires in the industry right NOW. Get on board and u will see dat YAHOO or whatever scam people may be doin cannot even pay as much as what the oil and gas companies can. Remember also dat the oil and gas industry is not only 4 engineers. The industry needs Accountants, Lawyers, Doctors etc definitely not as much as engineers but at least a good number. What more can I say but build urself and go for it God will definitely reward ur efforts if u stay true to it.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Gifo(m): 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2009
The fact remains that Oil and Gas companies are among the top payers. We don't need to go into details of the amount being paid. But rest assured that if you can get yourself to work there, you will not be disappointed.

That said, for those who may think that oil and gas workers have enough cash to do father christmas or for people to steal, etc, please note that they (oil workers) usually have the highest encumbered salaries by loans and other credit facilites etc, such that their available cash at month end may be next to nothing. This is so because banks and other credit outfits see them stable enough to do business with, to give credit facilities without collateral.

Ofcourse, you will see them doing fine in society, new cars, fine houses, but cash is usually scarce. But just get employed, you may not regret leaving the banking sector, unless you are a manager already.
Re: Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 19, 2009
Why is it that everyone has failed to address the main reason for the disparity in wages.
Does anyone think that Exxon or say Chevron would hire a Chemical Engineer and a Business Admin grad, and pay them the same wage.
Your starting salary depends on your Major, School, Experience, and Negotiating power.
Its funny how everyone wants to be in the Oil and Gas business but they have nothing to offer the companies.
Companies pay you according to how much profit they intend to make from you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Pics Of How Some Management Treat Their Employees / Hassana and Huseina Edili Ogaji: Meet Nigeria’s First Female Twin Pilots (Photo) / Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.