Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,357 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know (16715 Views)

How To Start Pig Farming In Nigeria – All The Secrets You Need To Know / Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting / Agriculture: Embrace FG Policies, Boroh Urges Niger Delta Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by VastFinder: 7:18am On Feb 02, 2017
The Nigerian agricultural policies have undergone metamorphosis at several stages of the country’s development, starting from the colonial era to the post colonial era of 1963.

In the early part of the post colonial era, the country had a policy based on surplus extraction. This was later transformed to an export-led policy, which brought about an improvement in the economy of the nation. The western region was exporting cocoa; the northern region was exporting groundnut, while the southeastern region was known for oil palm.

Fast forward to the alter part of independence, the Nigerian agricultural policy inclined more on import than export, since the government has not really made convincing efforts to implement many of its rules and policies on agriculture.

Nigerian Agricultural Policies
Some of the policies are highlighted below

• Attainment of complete self-sufficiency in all basic food products placing emphasis on those foods that takes up a good chunk of Nigerians foreign exchange, like rice.
• Increase in quantity of agricultural-related raw materials produced to make them adequate for the industrial sector and remove the need for importation of such raw materials.
• Increase in the quantity of exportable products being produced in an attempt to increase amount of foreign exchange Nigerian earns on such products towards diversifying the economy with increase in export base.
• Modernization of all aspects of agriculture, like distribution, storage, processing and production. Implementation of proper management and viable technologies to ensure agriculture can meet with the needs and expectations of the other sectors towards further grooming of the economy.
• Provision of more rural employment opportunities through agricultural development towards increasing farmers’ incomes and bettering the lot of rural dwellers. This equally provides employment opportunity towards reducing unemployment rate.
• Improvement and protection of arable lands useful for farming and protection of all resources on and under the ground. Preservation of the farming environment to ensure sustainable production in agriculture.
• Establishment of all necessary institutions to cater for needs of farmers and promote farming. Creation of necessary administrative organs that can help facilitates the realization of all agricultural potentials of the country.

What needs to be done
In order to fulfill the dictates of the Nigerian agricultural policies as highlighted above, there is need to provide the right equipments to farmers and make machineries available to help alleviate some of the challenges encountered in the farming processes. The government is to improve on husbandry and also make seed stocks available.
Provision of improved seeds that can develop fast and also resist disease will equally go a long way.

Mitigating factors
Establishment of the Agricultural Development Program (ADP) is one move that sought to provide answers to the questions and worries of farmers. However, the ADP is presently a ghost of its past self.

Lack in the area of biotechnology, development and research is the bane of agricultural development in Nigeria. Biotechnology opens the door to new ways of doing things and ensures improvement in quality and quantity of food production.

Political unwillingness is yet another factor that has been acting as impedance to agricultural development in Nigeria and preventing full implementation of the dictates of the agricultural policies.

Source: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/agricultural-policies-in-nigeria-all.html

lalasticlala, mynd44, obinoscopy, dominique, jamp, ishilove

3 Likes

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by SweetBoyFriend(m): 7:33am On Feb 02, 2017

I see where we went wrong

When my parents were young, they would go farming when it rains

Fast forward to this generation, whenever the weather changes or it looks like it would rain these silly and useless girl would start shouting "This weather is the perfect weather for two"

16 Likes

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by ekems2017(f): 7:34am On Feb 02, 2017
Ok. Is it reducing hunger in the country? Dump policies
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by George2016(m): 7:35am On Feb 02, 2017
Now I can know
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:35am On Feb 02, 2017
Agriculture, the ever booming industry. Had we given it the respect and attention it truly deserved, the Naira may have been able to go note to note with the Dollar

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 02, 2017
ekems2017:
Dear Madam Hunger Monger,

Please recommend better alternative policies for us ma.

We are waiting. Biko

3 Likes

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by AngryNigerian(m): 7:36am On Feb 02, 2017
...still windering how this post got here! Lala don de collect bribe ni/
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 02, 2017
OK.

We have heard.

You will go to agric bank to collect loan of 500k and they will ask you to bring your BSc certificate, Msc certificate, NYSC certificate, birth certificate, LGA certificate even SEX certificate as collateral.

Why not just ask us to bring our life as collateral

RUBBISH

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by jaffords: 7:37am On Feb 02, 2017
am i surprised
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by SweetBoyFriend(m): 7:37am On Feb 02, 2017
ekems2017:

It fed the whole country when your parents were younger and they were and still hard working even at their age

What do you do ?? Wake up and check your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube

You don't deserve food for the rest of your life

6 Likes

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by information1: 7:40am On Feb 02, 2017
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Pavore9: 7:42am On Feb 02, 2017
Mere words! angry
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Antoeni(m): 7:44am On Feb 02, 2017
Is there any true sincerity of purpose on the path of the Govt?
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by mrvitalis(m): 7:52am On Feb 02, 2017
When u know of the fact that Americans and Europeans pay workers more, irrigate their farm and use far more expensive land and still produce farm products that are far cheaper and of superior quality to ours... Then u know that there is a problem and until we get that part right agric would never be interesting to the young

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 8:00am On Feb 02, 2017
soft work
edited
it's easier said than done o, to be a farmer is demanding like really stressful and the worst of it all is funding because it will consume cash and energy at the same time
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by nurey(m): 8:02am On Feb 02, 2017
If I was the minister for agriculture, I know it won't be possible to change everything over night but this are the steps I would take

1. Ensure that the agricultural village the past governments ran then are brought back to life. I provide at least 5 tractors each for this villages and the couple implements. It's duty is to provide mechanical assistance for intending leasee (age bracket would be followed)

2. Meet with the 3 uni of agriculture in the 3 zones and setup a farm to earn program. This schools have huge lands unused that can be cleared for students to use for different stages of farming. The government would partner with big companies. The companies provide the input, the students utilize the input and turn it into raw materials, this raw materials would be sold to the big companies at a control price advantage is
A. The companies don't need to import raw agriculture products again
B. The students can be motivated from there, some will start a company while others would go and get their own land and start farming
C. The government would have reduce unemployment and start building experienced youths from there

3. I would partner with University from each state to provide at least 100 students to carry out their project work on agriculture extension reaching out to farmers on different LG and crops, if done for 3years, the report is brought together reviewed and problems and solutions would be found from it. The government doesn't even need to spend money it's the students project they will do it, but the government can provide incentives like transportation allowance etc

4. I would mandate the state government to provide free land in any locality, the government would assist with mechanical inputs, the University will provide the knowledge and all this merged together an agricultural village would be born where graduating agricultural students can go and farm for a maximum of 2 to 3 years. The government would provide market board that buys the product and sell it. That way government can control the market.

After the tenure another set comes in those leaving can now decide on what to do with the experience they gained there.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by slimmdree(m): 8:09am On Feb 02, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
SweetBoyFriend:

Fast forward to this generation, whenever the weather changes or it looks like it would rain these silly and useless girl would start shouting "This weather is the perfect weather for two"

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 02, 2017
ekems2017:

Dump or dumb ?
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by natznext(m): 8:34am On Feb 02, 2017
nurey:
If I was the minister for agriculture, I know it won't be possible to change everything over night but this are the steps I would take

1. Ensure that the agricultural village the past governments ran then are brought back to life. I provide at least 5 tractors each for this villages and the couple implements. It's duty is to provide mechanical assistance for intending leasee (age bracket would be followed)

2. Meet with the 3 uni of agriculture in the 3 zones and setup a farm to earn program. This schools have huge lands unused that can be cleared for students to use for different stages of farming. The government would partner with big companies. The companies provide the input, the students utilize the input and turn it into raw materials, this raw materials would be sold to the big companies at a control price advantage is
B. The students can be motivated from there, some will start a company while others would go and get their own land and start farming
C. The government would have reduce unemployment and start building experienced youths from there

3. I would partner with University from each state to provide at least 100 students to carry out their project work on agriculture extension reaching out to farmers on different LG and crops, if done for 3years, the report is brought together reviewed and problems and solutions would be found from it. The government doesn't even need to spend money it's the students project they will do it, but the government can provide incentives like transportation allowance etc

4. I would mandate the state government to provide free land in any locality, the government would assist with mechanical inputs, the University will provide the knowledge and all this merged together an agricultural village would be born where graduating agricultural students can go and farm for a maximum of 2 to 3 years. The government would provide market board that buys the product and sell it. That way government can control the market.

After the tenure another set comes in those leaving can now decide on what to do with the experience they gained there.

But you no go near Politics
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by signz: 8:54am On Feb 02, 2017
nurey:

Good ideas

Mine

1. Amend/remove the Land Use act. Its one of the reasons why there won't be serious investement in that sector. You can google how land use act messes up our Agro sector. Experts have been clamouring for its Abrogation.

2. Appoint a technocrat to oversee the Min Of Agric. Someone that sees Agriculture as a business not a social welfare scheme.

3. With the help of the technocrat who's been exposed to how things work in organised societies, we'll have commodities marketing boards ( i've forgotten what its called) where farmers sell their products at good prices.

4. Education. Our old professors of Agric in our schools need refresher courses so as to teach our students new and mordren ways of farming.

We need to be educated so as to know about the value chains in Agric. The value chains are Packaging, Transprotation, Storage, processing, etc. We need to be educated about how to tap into value chains opportunities.

So on and so forth

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Sebastine1994(m): 9:06am On Feb 02, 2017
DEAR NIGERIANS
I am a Phd student researching nigeria. Risk is what most nigerians fear. They are afraid of what will happen after. Question like ' who will take care of my family if I die ' what would happen to me if I do it. I don't want to become a begger. These are what keeps most nigerians from taking risk. That is why no body wants to challenge the government. It is what makes nigerians docile.
Here in nigeria our children are the insurance Company we have. They will take care of us when we grow old. So how can such children afford to take risk? Nigerian can never die for nigeria. Their loyalty lies elsewhere.
But what if there is an organisation like a god father that then agree to shoulder the risk of every nigerian for a monthly fees. What do you think will happen. I will call them big brother. It will be both an insurance company and a brotherhood. Any member intimidated by the government agents should report.
Ordinary nigerians have nobody to run to when they are offended. They just swallow it.
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by mapet: 9:12am On Feb 02, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Permission to use this on tweeter?
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by olafum1(m): 10:07am On Feb 02, 2017
It has been all talk since 1960
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by freshcvvs: 10:10am On Feb 02, 2017
signz:

Good ideas

Mine

1. Amend/remove the Land Use act. Its one of the reasons why there won't be serious investement in that sector. You can google how land use act messes up our Agro sector. Experts have been clamouring for its Abrogation.

2. Appoint a technocrat to oversee the Min Of Agric. Someone that sees Agriculture as a business not a social welfare scheme.

3. With the help of the technocrat who's been exposed to how things work in organised societies, we'll have commodities marketing boards ( i've forgotten what its called) where farmers sell their products at good prices.

4. Education. Our old professors of Agric in our schools need refresher courses so as to teach our students new and mordren ways of farming.

We need to be educated so as to know about the value chains in Agric. The value chains are Packaging, Transprotation, Storage, processing, etc. We need to be educated about how to tap into value chains opportunities.

So on and so forth

But Audu Ogbe is an expert in Agriculture and also with professional qualifications in Agric.
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by equalgarden(m): 10:33am On Feb 02, 2017
If only all G- boys can put their skills into agriculture...
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by SweetBoyFriend(m): 12:09pm On Feb 02, 2017
mapet:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Permission to use this on tweeter?

Of course you can
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by jerrymej(m): 1:18pm On Feb 02, 2017
Look at them,
Are they done with the headsmen? When farmers are scared of going to farm as against headsmen attack...

I heard them talking about diversification of the economy to agriculture and mineral resources in the 2017 budget proposal.. hmm, as for agricultural aspect, Nigeria can not elevate from recession through this means accept the headsmen are dealt with first, because if the government expect much agricultural produce from farmers and the farmers cannot go to farm to cultivate, all in the name of not being attacked by the headsmen, so how this dream be actualize? hmm maybe it will work in the North, but not in South South, South East, even North Central.... rubbish Government lead by APC...
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 10, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by SehgateTeam(m): 5:43pm On Feb 10, 2017
nurey:

You have a good write up bro. but I believe the government can do better reviving dead agricultural policies.

1. Nigerian government needs to encourage youth and bring back valid agriculture business policy.

2. they should provide good storage facilities and be ready to buy off agricultural produce instead of leaving farmers with little knowledge of perfect storage..

good road network, agricultural machinery such as harvesters e.t.c, viable means of transportation. reintroducing railways to reduce the cost of transport and availability of soft loan which you payback from the proceed of harvest.

infact our government still have a long way to go.........

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by cbravo2: 7:54am On May 01, 2017
Re: Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know by bikerboy1(m): 1:04pm On Jul 19, 2017
nurey:

Indeed, you deserve to be made the Minister of Agriculture. Great wisdom you have gat.

Nice write-up

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. / Final Lap Of Cassava Farming For 2016 / Kehinde Oloruntoba In His Farm Regalia (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.