Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,889 members, 7,828,147 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee (2352 Views)

Know About Countries, People And Things Around The World / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. / Travel To The Usa With British Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by snowdrops(m): 4:40pm On Dec 02, 2009
These guys are tea/coffee holic. They drink loads daily eapecially during this weather.
Who knows if this is teratogenic?
And they keep offering to make you one to the extent that it becomes irritating.
Agreed its their culture, and they are being polite, but dont they think of anything else to cool their frayed nerves.
I am no cave man, and i have taken to the way of life here, but this tea/coffee drinking, dog loving, false smiling habit is hard to imbibe
Right now for work na from junction them dem shout say "cup of tea, cup of tea"
I feel like saying i beg if una get hot pepper soup na im i take dey kill cold from where i come from.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by tboy1(m): 5:01pm On Dec 02, 2009
Lol grin grin grin very funny but true
Only time i've had a cup of coffee was during my final yr exams and thats because redbull didnt work cheesy
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by morpheus24: 5:48pm On Dec 02, 2009
Na india cause am

Colonial times!!
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by noblegas2(m): 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2009
hahahaha lol, i wanted to ask the same thing abt arabs too, dey luv `em Shayi too much!!! i wonder who luvs tea more between british and Arabs
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by redsky1: 11:30pm On Dec 02, 2009
why is this a question - its like asking what is it with ibo men and palm wine.

i have no idea why the british love tea but i can't go a day without a hot drink and with this cold cold weather i say drink as much tea as u can b4 u catch a nasty cold
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by FayeZik(f): 11:39pm On Dec 02, 2009
Might as well add these: what's w/Ijebu people and Ikokore? What's w/Ilorin people and wara? what's w/Ondo people and dog meat? What's w/Omo Eko and Eba? What's w/some Nairalanders and stupid Qs?

Give us sometin beta, jare.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by yommyuk: 12:11am On Dec 03, 2009
Might as well add these: what's w/Ijebu people and Ikokore? What's w/Ilorin people and wara? what's w/Ondo people and dog meat? What's w/Omo Eko and Eba? What's w/some Nairalanders and stupid Qs?

another add on - what's with the igbos and kolanut?
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 03, 2009
noble_gas1:

hahahaha lol, i wanted to ask the same thing abt arabs too, dey luv `em Shayi too much!!! i wonder who luvs tea more between british and Arabs

Chinese
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by snowdrops(m): 10:19am On Dec 03, 2009
FayeZik:

And whats with FayeZik and an empty skull wink
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by snowdrops(m): 10:23am On Dec 03, 2009
FayeZik:

As an after thought, every tribe, race, culture have their habits, perculiarities and life styles in general. However, the intensity and frequency varies. The examples you cited are way out of line. An w/ondo man will not eat dog meat 20 times a day as a average brit will do. So stop your silliness.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 03, 2009
I don't drink tea or coffee, not my thing, and I've survived the cold over the years.

I prefer water.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 03, 2009
I tire o.

My colleague just asked me if I wanted a cup of tea now after I said NO to one about 2 hours ago!! Ki lo de??

Thank you about the fake smile, don't smile at me if the next second you are going to frown even before I walk away!!

The most amazing one for me is that someone greets you so well today and even lends you a helping hand. If he sees you tommorow and you try to greet him/her, you'll be shocked to know they will turn away their faces like they have never seen u before.

One more thing, I have never seen such Nosey peeps in my life. The lady that sits beside me is constantly peeping into my screen and wants to know everything about me.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by jaybee3(m): 1:05pm On Dec 03, 2009
^^^
Do you work in an open plan office
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 03, 2009
Yeah
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by tboy1(m): 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2009
aysometin:

I tire o.
My colleague just asked me if I wanted a cup of tea now after I said NO to one about 2 hours ago!! Ki lo de??
Thank you about the fake smile, don't smile at me if the next second you are going to frown even before I walk away!!The most amazing one for me is that someone greets you so well today and even lends you a helping hand. If he sees you tommorow and you try to greet him/her, you'll be shocked to know they will turn away their faces like they have never seen u before. One more thing, I have never seen such Nosey peeps in my life. The lady that sits beside me is constantly peeping into my screen and wants to know everything about me.
lol
They dont even bother asking me if i want because im sure they're tired of erein me say NO and i always have my earphones on most of the day just to block myself from hearing their bullshit gossips (imagine grown men gossipin'  grin )

P.S:
The fake smile is the most annoyin thing  angry pisses me the [b]F [/b]off
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by tboy1(m): 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2009
@ Oga Moderator jay bee
sup?
hope u no dey use ur new Moderator levels toast all the fine fine babes on NL cheesy
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by ayomidej(f): 1:35pm On Dec 03, 2009
For the cold weather especially winter
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by busybody20: 1:42pm On Dec 03, 2009
aysometin:

I tire o.

Thank you about the fake smile, don't smile at me if the next second you are going to frown even before I walk away!!

The most amazing one for me is that someone greets you so well today and even lends you a helping hand. If he sees you tommorow and you try to greet him/her, you'll be shocked to know they will turn away their faces like they have never seen u before.

One more thing, I have never seen such Nosey peeps in my life. The lady that sits beside me is constantly peeping into my screen and wants to know everything about me.

Its in their blood to be nosey & they also pretend like they care about  you when they dont! My collegue once asked me where my spouse worked? I simply asked her; Why do you wanna know?She took an offense in it and told everyone in the office and at the close of work she told to me , she was upset with me for embrassing her, i simply apologised but at least i didnt tell her  tongue   tongue

You get time greet oo, as i don dey greet them tire and i realised they could be snubs sometimes. I just enter the office and sit like anyone one of them at my desk  grin No  greetings.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by jaybee3(m): 1:43pm On Dec 03, 2009
tboy1:

@ Oga Moderator jay bee
sup?
hope u no dey use your new Moderator levels toast all the fine fine babes on NL cheesy
toast ke? dats not a word in ma dictionary

how u dey?
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by busybody20: 1:47pm On Dec 03, 2009
tboy1:

lol
They dont even bother asking me if i want because im sure they're tired of erein me say NO and i always have my earphones on most of the day just to block myself from hearing their bullshit gossips (imagine grown men gossipin'  grin )

P.S:
The fake smile is the most annoyin thing  angry pisses me the [b]F [/b]off

Reminds me of when one of my brit friends greeted me and i gave him a fake smile like he sometimes does.

He asked if i was alright?  That my smile looked obviously fake  grin   grin   grin
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Basildon1(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2009
aysometin:

I tire o.

I Love NL, Been working here close to a year and i have never had a beverage yet the silly people keep asking if i would like a cuppa.

'The Smile', God knows how much that pisses me off - so fake, considering the fact they gossip more than blacks.Being nosey is a very cultural thing for them,i think, i sit close to the door angry

Amazing one i learnt early is if they are choking/coughing/sneezing to death, NEVA say sorry/u ok?, just keep staring since IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by tboy1(m): 1:59pm On Dec 03, 2009
jay bee:

toast ke? dats not a word in ma dictionary
how u dey?
lol . . . yeah right
enjoy your sef sha
me sef go soon become moderator . . . i go dey ban all d fine fine girls on purpose just so they can send me private messages . . . .  grin grin grin
im good bro . . .  just work and tryna stay alive in dis mofo weather. Hope u good?

ayomidej:

For the cold weather especially winter
True talk  cheesy
busybody20:

Reminds me of when one of my brit friends greeted me and i gave him a fake smile like he sometimes does.
He asked if i was alright?  That my smile looked obviously fake  grin   grin   grin
lol
i work in a building where im d only black person so u can imagine how much fake smiles i see in 1 day . . gosh  grin luckily the ppl in my dept knows i dont smile back when do they do their fake smiles so now we all bone for each other grin grin
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 03, 2009
You guys have made my day!! i can't stop laughing. Just when I was thinking how weird Brits were, this thread springs up!!

tboy1:

lol
They dont even bother asking me if i want because im sure they're tired of erein me say NO and i always have my earphones on most of the day just to block myself from hearing their bullshit gossips [b](imagine grown men gossipin' grin )[/b]P.S:
The fake smile is the most annoyin thing angry pisses me the [b]F [/b]off

I love your earphones style! They gossip about every thing. if one person is away they start talking about the person. I just frown when they start and they know me for that. When the person returns the reception she gets is ubelieveable, I just wonder how they do it.

busybody20:

He asked if i was alright? That my smile looked obviously fake grin grin grin

LMAO grin grin grin
Our (blacks) fake smile is worse, you know how we roll now. It just makes us look plain nastly cos we had a bit of 'don't smile at me next time' expression to it, lol

Basildon1:

I Love NL, Been working here close to a year and i have never had a beverage yet the silly people keep asking if i would like a cuppa.

'The Smile', God knows how much that pisses me off - so fake, considering the fact they gossip more than blacks.Being nosey is a very cultural thing for them,i think, i sit close to the door angry

Amazing one i learnt early is if they are choking/coughing/sneezing to death, NEVA say sorry/u ok?, just keep staring since IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!

A friend once told me about how a white girl picked up a serious fight with her at UNI because she said sorry when the girl sneezed. Omo I learnt from her sharp sharp. If you sneeze, cough or Choke beside me, you are strictly on your own o.

tboy1:

lol . . . i work in a building where im d only black person so u can imagine how much fake smiles i see in 1 day . . gosh grin luckily the ppl in my dept knows i dont smile back when do they do their fake smiles so now we all bone for each other grin grin

I love your style o!! Just when I thought I was mean.
My usual method is to frown from morning till lunchtime. I snob everyone around me and I can see them feeling uneasy . A few would ask me if I am ok, I'll just shake my head. No matter what they say to me, it's a one word or phrase reply and I continue frowning. At about 2pm , I go back to my normal self and they start to wonder if this girl dey normal. I love to torment them, they are too weak!!

Last but not the least, A colleague bought a small xmas tree yesterday and put on his desk. They all start gathering and start exclaiming 'so cute', 'so elegant' 'so beautiful' 'so gorgeous'. Excuse me it's a small xmas tree :about 5 of them spend the next 20mins talking about Xmas, trees, decorations and chocolate. I just think to myself e ni isoro (You don't have problems)
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by snowdrops(m): 3:45pm On Dec 03, 2009
aysometin:

Last but not the least, A colleague bought a small xmas tree yesterday and put on his desk. They all start gathering and start exclaiming 'so cute', 'so elegant' 'so beautiful' 'so gorgeous'. Excuse me it's a small xmas tree :about 5 of them spend the next 20mins talking about Xmas, trees, decorations and chocolate. I just think to myself e ni isoro (You don't have problems)
Wahala dey.
You go just begin dey miss Naija.
No place like home.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by FayeZik(f): 9:06pm On Dec 03, 2009
yommyuk:

another add on - what's with the igbos and kolanut?
Thanks, yommyuk, so smart.
snowdrops:

And whats with FayeZik and an empty skull wink
Just emptied it into ur perforated skull.
snowdrops:

As an after thought, every tribe, race, culture have their habits, perculiarities and life styles in general. However, the intensity and frequency varies. The examples you cited are way out of line. An w/ondo man will not eat dog meat 20 times a day as a average brit will do. So stop your silliness.
c'mmon, don't be so sensitive. Whether an Ondo man eat dog meat 20 times a day or 2 times a day, it's still an habit, a lifestyle and peculiar to ondo people. Abi na lie. Let me add another one, wht's up with snowdrops and being too sensitive?
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by AngieFan(f): 10:33pm On Dec 03, 2009

My usual method is to frown from morning till lunchtime. I snob everyone around me and I can see them feeling uneasy . A few would ask me if I am ok, I'll just shake my head.  No matter what they say to me, it's a one word or phrase reply and I continue frowning. At about 2pm , I go back to my normal self and they start to wonder if this girl dey normal. I love to torment them, they are too weak!!

Some of you guys are so damn negative! So now when someone offers you a cup of tea it becomes an issue? I rem a time when I was in Nigeria and  visited plenty of my parents friends on the same day. On each visit I was offered a bottle of 'mineral' which I respectfully and politely refused but was still presented with a whole tray of the stuff just for me. I didn't get offended at all, in fact I found it quite endearing and appreciated their kindness and took it as a cultural thing.  You guys on the other hand are making out like the offering of tea by strangers or colleagues is highly offensive. And then you wonder why you are treated differently.

A word of advice. .  .a change in attitude will go a loooooooooooooong long way and if you are not prepared to change it then perhaps you shouldn't be so far away from your home country in a foreign land where people have different cultural norms, values, behaviours and attitudes.

And as for the person who insists on wearing their headphones and pushing up their face in the office you had better be careful because the next time there is a staff cut you may end up first in line for the chop. In Britain hard work alone does not amount to salary increases and promotion. One has to also be seen as sociable ( a good 'people person') and able to get along with the team whether they be the Manager or a team member. Whether you like it or not, it  is the culture, just like cups of tea, cream cakes, fish and chips, football and Pub lunches  grin grin. . .if you don't like it then Nigeria is only 5 hours away on a plane.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by N101: 11:13pm On Dec 03, 2009
Hmmm, not quite sure what to make of this, here goes:

Never did the "cup of tea" thing.  People still offered them to me knowing I don't drink the stuff. 

The way I got around fake smiles was to show them a real smile or crack a joke.  Works every time.  A friend told me that a smile goes a long way.  Black people can't do fake smiles, we just look scary and crazy, lol.

Pub lunch?  Think I did that once with some work colleagues.  Thankfully it is something can be done now that pubs are smoke-free zones. 

Saying "hello" to people who ignore you tomorrow?  I say hello to people I've made eye contact with.  Some people, no matter how often you greet them, will ignore you.  I know some weirdos like that, think they work in IT.  I like to say hello to them every now and then just to freak them out  grin

Every culture has its peculiarities, such is life.  Makes the world a more interesting place to be.  Wonder if someone highlighted the same about Nigeria, how many people would be shouting them down?
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by snowdrops(m): 12:40am On Dec 04, 2009
FayeZik:

Thanks, yommyuk, so smart. Just emptied it into your perforated skull.c'mmon, don't be so sensitive. Whether an Ondo man eat dog meat 20 times a day or 2 times a day, it's still an habit, a lifestyle and peculiar to ondo people. Abi na lie. Let me add another one, wht's up with snowdrops and being too sensitive?
Its obvious you are writing from your village in Nigeria and has never set foot outside Naija.
If i were you i would keep quiet while learned people educate me about foreign cultures/lifestyle.
You never know; you may be asked when you sit your GCE/NECO.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 5:06am On Dec 04, 2009
the nosiness na wah- and its not just the British.

even if you wan use toilet sef, some people can follow you there and wait in the next stall while you do your business. Many Nigerians also have that nosy habit though.

One reason why I wonder what Tiger thought he was doing?
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2009
AngieFan:

Some of you guys are so damn negative! So now when someone offers you a cup of tea it becomes an issue? I rem a time when I was in Nigeria and visited plenty of my parents friends on the same day. On each visit I was offered a bottle of 'mineral' which I respectfully and politely refused but was still presented with a whole tray of the stuff just for me. I didn't get offended at all, in fact I found it quite endearing and appreciated their kindness and took it as a cultural thing. You guys on the other hand are making out like the offering of tea by strangers or colleagues is highly offensive. And then you wonder why you are treated differently.

A word of advice. . .a change in attitude will go a loooooooooooooong long way and if you are not prepared to change it then perhaps you shouldn't be so far away from your home country in a foreign land where people have different cultural norms, values, behaviours and attitudes.

And as for the person who insists on wearing their headphones and pushing up their face in the office you had better be careful because the next time there is a staff cut you may end up first in line for the chop. In Britain hard work alone does not amount to salary increases and promotion. One has to also be seen as sociable ( a good 'people person') and able to get along with the team whether they be the Manager or a team member. Whether you like it or not, it is the culture, just like cups of tea, cream cakes, fish and chips, football and Pub lunches grin grin. . .if you don't like it then Nigeria is only 5 hours away on a plane.

who is this?? you wrote this long epistle and you are yet to see the Sarcasm and Jokes in our post.
Pele o British gal!
We are definitely friends with them and they with us but that doesn't mean they don't take a piss from our own culture as well.
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by tboy1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 04, 2009
^^ I was hopin' everyone would ignore AngieFan cheesy
Re: Whats With British People And Cup Of Tea/coffee by AngieFan(f): 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2009
aysometin:

who is this?? you wrote this long epistle and you are yet to see the Sarcasm and Jokes in our post.
Pele o British gal!
We are definitely friends with them and they with us but that doesn't mean they don't take a piss from our own culture as well.

Apologies. I am unable to decipher sarcasm and jokes through a computer screen. The only way I can usually tell is when posts are littered with smileys and I failed to see any. But in reference to the the highlighted, is this thread a pay back for Brits taking the piss out of Nigerian culture? I doubt the average Brit knows anything about Nigerian culture let alone enough to be able to take the piss out of it.

tboy1:

^^ I was hopin' everyone would ignore AngieFan cheesy

Your hopes failed.  Next time hope for something a bit more realistic. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Want To Process Your International Passport / How Much Will It Cost To Travel To Brazil / My Sisters Experience With Dana Air, PNR No. X17BH0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.