Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo (1228 Views)

‘NYSC Changed My Perception Of Igbos’ / 'We In The South Need To Start Loving Northerners, They're Cool" - Gombe Corper / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo by nyscstories: 3:05pm On Feb 03, 2017
[center]After a long drive which seemed to last for ages from Lagos, I arrived NYSC
permanent orientation camp, Kubwa, Abuja where i carried out all the needed
registrations and collected my kit.
There and then did my camp experience start, as I began to adjust to a
regimented life of sleeping and waking earlier than I wanted as I was totally at
the mercy of unarmed military officers. I also began to reconcile the differences
in my stereotypical conception of other tribes and what is obtainable in reality, for
instance, I realized northerners are hardworking not always wanting to depend on
the “BIGGER MAN” for need satisfaction, friendly and peace loving people, which
was in sharp contrast to what years of living in Lagos and constant pictures of
violence in the media impressed on me, funny enough I was able to learn this in
just three days of living with my new roommates.
However, I failed to understand why the kitchen didn’t prepare enough food only
to constantly supplement it with another food type, for instance the kitchen would
prepare rice that wouldn’t be enough for all corp members then when it finished
they would start serving bread to corp members who were yet to receive their
rations of food.
Maami market was also “lit”, at least for those who had a lot of cash to throw
around, but truth be told I had my fair share of Maami visits, and every single one
of them was memorable and fun including when I was pick-pocketed in the same
said market.
Finally, friends made my camp experience worthwhile as without the opportunity
NYSC camp provided, am not so sure I would be able to sit on the same table
and even share a drink with a full blooded northerner who grew in the northern
part of the country. Yes feel free to call me proud or egoistical, truth is I haven’t
always felt easy with a northerner till now, heck I even had a serious crush on
one. I was also able to bond with a couple of people who I came to cherish, love
and respect over time either for intelligence, street smartness, beauty,
kindheartedness etc like Victor, Jibaniya Solomon, Ameen Hamida, Edua Eboigbe,
the ever beautiful Ehinor, peace hostel boiz, platoon 3 dance and drama crew and
my platoon 3a and b friends and everyone I forgot to mention or I didn’t talk to
sef.
My name is Akeredolu Odunayo Isaac with state code FCT/16B/0133. This
summarizes my camp experience.[/center]

Source >> http://nyscstories.com/featured-stories/nysc-camp-changed-view-northerners/

1 Share

Re: How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo by emorse(m): 3:45pm On Feb 03, 2017
I tell people all the time. Staying in the comfort of your home and labeling a whole tribe is the "wrongest" thing anybody can do. Go out. Meet people. You'd be so amazed at how different people can be when you get up close and personal.

This is just the beginning bro. You're going to meet many more people and will probably fall in love with someone from a tribe you least expected. That's one thing the NYSC can do for you.
Re: How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo by Taribizy(m): 4:06pm On Feb 03, 2017
Pls don't mind me, I'm still worried about these northerners. Did u know that in the Kaduna uprising it is said northern Christians were killed by their once smiling and peace loving neighbors. Did u know that it is a taboo for a non believer to fall in love with a northern female. Apparently they can kidnap and marry our daughters but woe betide u if u come near theirs. I had wished I was posted to serve in the north but thank God I went to the east. Pls don't be angry with my post, if u are pls scroll on
Re: How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo by Flamezreal(m): 10:02pm On Feb 03, 2017
So Abuja is your own core north Abi? You're a joke .
Re: How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo by kuchikau1: 11:41pm On Feb 04, 2017
u ar just a stupid boy! Go to core not and see.
Re: How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo by Darey00(m): 12:35am On Feb 05, 2017
1. Abuja doesn't reflect the North
2. 21 days in camp with like-minded graduates cannot influence ur thinking of northerners..
come back after 3 months

(1) (Reply)

Serving In Akwa-ibom Or Ebonyi, Help / Nysc Batch B Thumb Printing And Facial Capture Wahala / Unpaid Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.