Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,544 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent (11939 Views)

Properties With C Of O/ Governor's Consent, For Sale, To Let / Do U Want To Process C Of O,governor's Consent Etc?then Call Us On.... / Land Documentation Expert,4 Ur Cof O,governor Consent,plan Approval Call Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by AngelMyke1: 9:43am On Dec 03, 2009
Abeg can someone tell me the difference between Certificate of Occupancy and Governor's Consent?
In what different situations is either of them needed?
I need an answer urgently before I go disgrace myself. embarassed
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by megastu(m): 10:38am On Dec 03, 2009
@poster,

Land use Act says all land belongs to the Government. Before any assignment of land, the Governor has to give his consent. However, a C of O is the certificate that Government gives you confirming that the land belongs to you for some years (usually 99) and then reverts back to the Government. It also states all conditions to be met by you while being a tenant of the Government.
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by Limeone(m): 1:09pm On Dec 03, 2009
@Megastu
is Govenor's consent greater or supercedes C of O?
Do you know anything about AWOYAYA ibeju Lekki and what is happening concerning govt acquisation of that area?
Th
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by tobilops: 1:44pm On Dec 03, 2009
in essence, if i have Governor's conscent, do i still need the C of o?
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by AngelMyke1: 4:14pm On Dec 03, 2009
Good Questions Tobilops
Other questions for the forum: Is Governor's Consent a certificate on its own? and What is the efect of a Governor's Consent? Is it just an annexation to the C of O? Can if you have Governor's Consent for a Property, do you still need a C of O, and vise visa?
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by megastu(m): 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2009
Lke i had said earlier, the Governor's consent is not the same as a C of O, but is a very legal document that gives you the peace of mind that once Governor has put his signature on the agreement, then you can be allowed to assign to someone.

So even if you have a C of O, at the moment you want to sell, the Governor has to give his consent to that alienation.

However, it might interest you that the Land use Act is being looked into and land might revert back to original family owners, so there might be no need for Governor's consent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by Abrahamobic(m): 12:46pm On Jan 19, 2023
megastu:
Lke i had said earlier, the Governor's consent is not the same as a C of O, but is a very legal document that gives you the peace of mind that once Governor has put his signature on the agreement, then you can be allowed to assign to someone.

So even if you have a C of O, at the moment you want to sell, the Governor has to give his consent to that alienation.

However, it might interest you that the Land use Act is being looked into and land might revert back to original family owners, so there might be no need for Governor's consent.

please i what to be sure of this question.
I was told that a land can not have two cofo after the first owner (the builder of the house). That second buyer (owner of the house) cant get a cofo but governor consent as alternative to a cofo. Is this correct according to the land use act of 1978
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by megastu(m): 3:30pm On Jan 23, 2023
Correct.
Abrahamobic:

I was told that a land can not have two cofo after the first owner (the builder of the house). That second buyer (owner of the house) cant get a cofo but governor consent as alternative to a cofo. Is this correct according to the land use act of 1978
Re: Difference Between C Of O & Governor's Consent by visaclick: 1:18pm On Jan 25, 2023
Abrahamobic:

yes. All lands authority has been vested on the governors of it's state.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Decent Duplex At Gemade Estate Gowon Estate / Lagos Targets 60 Days For Landlord-Tenant Dispute Resolution / Interior Design Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.