Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas (15325 Views)

Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State / Ooni Of Ife Different From World Leaders And Kings I've Met - Arab Billionaire / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AkinPhysicist: 10:40pm On Feb 12, 2017
kingreign:

you're right.
I'm from the Ikale tribe in Okitipupa of Ondo. But my family members don't even act or count themselves as proper Yoruba. Right from times past, we've married other tribes. My paternal grand mother was Ijaw, my uncle (my father's brother) married an Edo Bini woman, my mom is Akwa Ibom, my late uncle's father brother) son married an Nnsuka lady.

grin grin grin And your uncle's sister's brother's son nephew is married to the daughter of Ojukwu grin grin grin
Ipod Yoot

16 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by kingreign(m): 10:48pm On Feb 12, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

grin grin grin And your uncle's sister's brother's son nephew is married to the daughter of Ojukwu grin grin grin
Ipod Yoot

slowpoke, you brought a stick to a nuke war and I'm gonna raze ya life in fire next tym you try your stupidity.

Never introduce me to your childish tribal rants.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AkinPhysicist: 10:51pm On Feb 12, 2017
kingreign:

slowpoke, you brought a stick to a nuke war and I'm gonna raze ya life in fire next tym you try your stupidity.

grin grin grin nuke war? I beat your a$$ boi grin grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AshiwajuFoward: 10:53pm On Feb 12, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Ipod Yoot

No mind that useless impostor.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AkinPhysicist: 10:56pm On Feb 12, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

No mind that useless impostor.

didinrin ni bobo ye sha - can't even execute a simple lie. I blame cheap a$$ phones grin

11 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AshiwajuFoward: 11:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

didinrin ni bobo ye sha - can't even execute a simple lie. I blame cheap a$$ phones grin

No mind am. Na ontop Yoruba matter he and his fellow haters go qwench.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by AkinPhysicist: 11:10pm On Feb 12, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

No mind am. Na ontop Yoruba matter he and his fellow haters go qwench.

As their water don pass garri - naso

11 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Emmy1234567890: 4:29am On Feb 14, 2017
Mr,

I appreciate the fact that your write-up speak well of the Ondos. Sir, I advice you don't mislead the chair and the hourable house with your little knowledge about the origin of ondos. I am proudly Ondo man and I can trace my origin back to ile-ife (Yoruba).

The Benin was originated from the ile-ife (Yoruba). Benin was among the grand child of oodua. So what are you say?
Nowenuse:

Yes, u are very correct. I have also observed this, but the reason is not far-fetched.
A lot of Ondo people have non- yoruba origins from Edo and other areas. Their own cultures also differ naturally from hinterland yorubas.
Many Ondos are not even orignally yorubas.
Watch their cultural displays and u will clearly notice the great difference between them and other yoruba groups.

The difference btw the Ondos and other yoruba groups is just like that between Delta/Rivers Igbo groups and main South-east Igbos.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by EdoNation(f): 9:20am On Feb 14, 2017
Emmy1234567890:
Mr,

I appreciate the fact that your write-up speak well of the Ondos. Sir, I advice you don't mislead the chair and the hourable house with your little knowledge about the origin of ondos. I am proudly Ondo man and I can trace my origin back to ile-ife (Yoruba).

The Benin was originated from the ile-ife (Yoruba). Benin was among the grand child of oodua. So what are you say?

Yoruba CAME OUT FROM BENIN........GET DAT IN UR SKULL.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by tripoli007(m): 11:21am On Feb 14, 2017
On do ladies can bleep ohhh,met a couple of them while schooling in ekiti chaii them dey knack pass calabar ladies
Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by aljharem(m): 10:04pm On Feb 14, 2017
EdoNation:

Yoruba CAME OUT FROM BENIN........GET DAT IN UR SKULL.

Stupid statement from an ignorant person. I am Yoruba from Lagos and benin is one of the children of oduduwa. Get that fact !!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by EdoNation(f): 10:15pm On Feb 14, 2017
[[s]quote author=aljharem post=53718525]

Stupid statement from an ignorant person. I am Yoruba from Lagos and benin is one of the children of oduduwa. Get that fact !!!![/quote][/s]

HOW CAN THE SON FATHER THE FATHER?

ODUDUWA WAS A BENIN PRINCE.... GET DAT IN UR SKULL Yoruba boy

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by orimsamsam(m): 9:00am On Feb 15, 2017
EdoNation:
[[s]quote author=aljharem post=53718525]

Stupid statement from an ignorant person. I am Yoruba from Lagos and benin is one of the children of oduduwa. Get that fact !!!![/s]

HOW CAN THE SON FATHER THE FATHER?

ODUDUWA WAS A BENIN PRINCE.... GET DAT IN UR SKULL Yoruba boy
u never learn still

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by ogbongenet: 1:21pm On Feb 15, 2017
You bera leave them flat headies alone....what do u expect from somebody weh done hawk gala and pure water for this kind sun.. I talk my own oooo

YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW ANYTIN...IGNORAMOUS COMPARING EDO STATE NOT EVEN AUCHI TO ONDO OF ALL PLACES HAHAHAHA grin grin[/quote]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Chysler(m): 10:25pm On Feb 16, 2017
Many Edo Pple hate being associated with oduduea origin they rather claim oduduwa originated from Benin kingdom and many history scholars believes this! This causes a huge tension in our camp room during our nysc orientation... An Edo not flaired up and nearly beat up a Yoruba boy dt was telling another Edo guy dt Edo Pple came from Oduduwa!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Oduduwaa: 11:39pm On Feb 16, 2017
Chysler:
Many Edo Pple hate being associated with oduduea origin they rather claim oduduwa originated from Benin kingdom and many history scholars believes this! This causes a huge tension in our camp room during our nysc orientation... An Edo not flaired up and nearly beat up a Yoruba boy dt was telling another Edo guy dt Edo Pple came from Oduduwa!

Lol

.....We yorubas really need to know our boundaries!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by DerrickM(m): 8:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
Well analysed but the bad thing about us in Africa is no accurate records for us to trace our origins. If we were so advanced we could trace our DNA origins to the beginning.

Lemme use Ondo Town people as an example,if you were not told Omotola Jalade Ekeinde the actress wasn't Igbo it is hard to believe. I met a chick when writing GCE a look alike and dopple ganger even far fairer to the actress,checked her state Ondo Town,Ondo State. I was blown away. Even some say in our generation say it is by the name or when they hear the dialect spoken,they know they are kinsmen because they look like other tribes. If you ask me it's because of mixing so much*lol*

You get to Ondo town,the next highest number of residents are Igbos,Edo,Delta,Akwa Ibom,Crossriver and Hausa people. Even during the civil war,some easterners settled there and after generations changed their names as i heard.

I have a good friend from Ondo town,his present gf and some exs were from other tribes. Am like damn you are truly Mr.Nigeria because he has dated the major regions and minorities...kilode. shocked grin cheesy Even his folks told him straight growing up we really got no issues if the girl isn't Yoruba or from Ondo,i was really impressed.

As much as they are part of the Yoruba race,they are more mixed based on their location as a gateway to the Niger Delta,South East and South South of Nigeria. Truly remarkable people.

[quote author=Nowenuse post=53526476]

Yes, u are very correct. I have also observed this, but the reason is not far-fetched.
A lot of Ondo people have non- yoruba origins from Edo and other areas. Their own cultures also differ naturally from hinterland yorubas.
Many Ondos are not even orignally yorubas.
Watch their cultural displays and u will clearly notice the great difference between them and other yoruba groups.

The difference btw the Ondos and other yoruba groups is just like that between Delta/Rivers Igbo groups and main South-east Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by DerrickM(m): 8:13pm On Jul 14, 2017
Still a bone of contention even right from my university days*geez*Still the violent reactions and tensions. I really dunno who to be believe on that matter.

Chysler:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Probz(m): 4:21am On Jun 09, 2018
What do we think?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by OlaoChi: 10:52am On Jun 09, 2018
EdoNation:

Very Very True!!
then why not go and re-edonize them. you people are the real problem with nigeria, rather than fostering a united south out of the shared ethnic similarities you choose to dwell on petty things

1 Like

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by OlaoChi: 11:23am On Jun 09, 2018
Chysler:
no single historian believes that, history is not based on ethnic bragging but records and evidence
it is only in Bini beer parlors or from binis online that you hear such things

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by EdoNation(f): 12:41pm On Jun 09, 2018
OlaoChi:
no single historian believes that, history is not based on ethnic bragging but records and evidence
it is only in Bini beer parlors or from binis online that you hear such things

Better shut up your stinky smelly mouth !

Whio are you to talk on Edo matters??).... Better go and face your zero wack history based on lies and hulatrash

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by OlaoChi: 1:04pm On Jun 09, 2018
EdoNation:

Better shut up your stinky smelly mouth !

Whio are you to talk on Edo matters??).... Better go and face your zero wack history based on lies and hulatrash
Instead being moved to hatred and frustration why not let your bini pride move you to reading more history.

If you have a problem with my post you could have pointed them out by maybe mentioning one reputable historian that confirms the bini claim
BTW. Oduduwa is a Yoruba matter so maybe you should first face your own history and find out where ekalederan or whatever his name is died before interfering in Yoruba history which you have never for a sec researched

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Dayoto: 1:07am On Jun 10, 2018
I'm here to learn
Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by LeoThaGreat(m): 5:42pm On Jun 10, 2018
Igboid:

Most Yorubas can't understand Ondo dialects too.
Please erase this thought, else you'll be deceiving yourself.
If a Lagos born Yoruba like me, bred in Ijebuland can understand the basics of the Ondo dialect, then most Yorubas will.
The Ekiti's dialect is even harder than the Ondo's.

Even English language has different dialects in England yet the Scotts & Irish don't claim a dialect is too similar to theirs to be classed with the Brits

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Proverbalizer: 10:27pm On Jan 11, 2019
LeoThaGreat:

Please erase this thought, else you'll be deceiving yourself.
If a Lagos born Yoruba like me, bred in Ijebuland can understand the basics of the Ondo dialect, then most Yorubas will.
The Ekiti's dialect is even harder than the Ondo's.

Even English language has different dialects in England yet the Scotts & Irish don't claim a dialect is too similar to theirs to be classed with the Brits

Can you understand Yagba dialect? from Kogi state

1 Like

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Toluobaeko11: 7:34am On Jan 12, 2019
DerrickM:
Well analysed but the bad thing about us in Africa is no accurate records for us to trace our origins. If we were so advanced we could trace our DNA origins to the beginning.

Lemme use Ondo Town people as an example,if you were not told Omotola Jalade Ekeinde the actress wasn't Igbo it is hard to believe. I met a chick when writing GCE a look alike and dopple ganger even far fairer to the actress,checked her state Ondo Town,Ondo State. I was blown away. Even some say in our generation say it is by the name or when they hear the dialect spoken,they know they are kinsmen because they look like other tribes. If you ask me it's because of mixing so much*lol*

You get to Ondo town,the next highest number of residents are Igbos,Edo,Delta,Akwa Ibom,Crossriver and Hausa people. Even during the civil war,some easterners settled there and after generations changed their names as i heard.

I have a good friend from Ondo town,his present gf and some exs were from other tribes. Am like damn you are truly Mr.Nigeria because he has dated the major regions and minorities...kilode. shocked grin cheesy Even his folks told him straight growing up we really got no issues if the girl isn't Yoruba or from Ondo,i was really impressed.

As much as they are part of the Yoruba race,they are more mixed based on their location as a gateway to the Niger Delta,South East and South South of Nigeria. Truly remarkable people.

. Pele, O Ku itan. I've observed that what pains most people is the fact that we Yorubas traced our origin back to Ile-ife. The fact will remain that some immigrants came and stay in Yoruba land long ago.
Most Yoruba people are not direct descendants of Oduduwa, but it doesn't change the fact that they came from Ile-ife. I'm from Ondo-State(Akure), and I can proudly trace my origin back to Oduduwa in Ile-ife.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by abdulwastecx(m): 9:28pm On Jan 12, 2019
Igboid:
Ondo people marry Edos and Igbos alot. And some of them even look like they were originally Edo, but became Yorubanized in a distant past, especially Akoko and Ose parts of Ondo.

Oga you are a liar. I am an akoko Ondo indigen and I am a complete Yoruba. I am from Ikare akoko, my language is a dialect of Yoruba understood by the general Yoruba commonwealth.

Yoruba is a conglomerate of different nation with people of different dialect, we have akoko, Oyo (standard yoruba spoken by all), ijebu, okun, ijesha, Ekiti, egha etc.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by Toluobaeko11: 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2019
Igboid:
Ondo people marry Edos and Igbos alot. And some of them even look like they were originally Edo, but became Yorubanized in a distant past, especially Akoko and Ose parts of Ondo.

Some people will just come here and be saying rubbish. I think they're jealous of our rich culture. If you like be saying rubbish. At least, we from Ondo state can speak for ourselves. We're not just Yoruba, but PROUD YORUBA, and we're not culturally different from the rest of the Yorubas.
ILE-IFE IS OUR HOME!!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by LeoThaGreat(m): 10:35pm On Jan 13, 2019
Proverbalizer:

Can you understand Yagba dialect? from Kogi state

I'll need to listen to it first to know if I will
Re: Why Are The People Of Ondo State Different From Other Yorubas by googi: 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
You people nor dey taya?

Why are you trying to divide Yoruba that trace the same origin to Ife, including Bini, Itsekiri, Lakunmi in Igbo or Delta State, not to mention many in West Africa, Brazil, Cuba, Haiti, Trinidad, USA etc?

One of the major religion worldwide.

If the Irish, Welsh or Scott could not understand one another and the Americans from North to South could not understand one another' accents, why pick on Yoruba out of jealousy?

The Igbo in the West that lost their identity, did it for convenience and are still proud of it. If you don't believe it, go to any of the compounds and call one of them Igbo at your own risk or tell Obanikoro in Lagos that they are children of Ogiso.

At some point, destractors have to swallow their vomit.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A-Z Details About Your Chi (guardian Spirit/angel) / Traditional Ika Names / Benin Bronze Mask

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.