Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

How I Got Into Anime. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How I Got Into Anime. (1563 Views)

I Got Pregnant As A Virgin At 23 – Wathoni / How Tacha Got Into Bbnaija House & What Truly Led To Her Disqualification / Bbnaija: Viral Photoclaims Tacha Was Pregnant Before She Got Into The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got Into Anime. by Nobody: 6:27am On Feb 08, 2017
The story begins, like most stories in real life do(ok..some stories in real life do)..with my childhood. Like most kids growing up in Nigeria (middle class) in the 1980's, I watched a lot of cartoons. Mostly Western animation, like Tom and Jerry, the Warner Bros. cartoon catalog (especially the Bugs Bunny shorts), Disney cartoons and Hanna-Barbera cartoons....at least the ones that were available on NTA, and the ones one could get on video. But...I really did not get into anime until the late 80's....when my family moved abroad for a while, and my siblings and I continued our cartoon watching habits.

The first anime I recall watching was Thundersub ...an anime about Earth being invaded by aliens , who were escaping their dying world...and who thought Earth was a suitable planet to live on.Earth fights back through a super submarine , the eponymous Thundersub....which could among other things...function as an aircraft carrier, and eventually, in the finale...a spaceship.(Wow). It was shown weekly, and every week...I and my brother and sister tuned in to watch as the crew of the ship fought back against alien invasion time after time.I remember the feeling of excitement that I had when Thunder sub flew into space and destroyed the alien mother ship.....something akin to a feeling of victory(We did it!). It was all in all a wonderful anime (I got to watch it again in Nigeria when NTA showed a few episodes back in the late 1980's).

I also watched a lot of other anime....including Speed Racer, G-Force, Rose of Versailles(the love scenes there made me feel a bit sick...don't ask why!), Combatter and many others. Infact, it became something of a ritual....get back from school, eat linch, turn on the television, watch anime.And it was a lot different from the Western Animation which I had grown up with.Key example...people died....something which I had never seen watching Tom and Jerry!And for some funny reason, I was not traumatized by the dying....I kind of thought it was ''real''(Strange thought process for a seven year old, eh?). And there was a lot of drama...of the kind one did not see in Western cartoons.All in all, it was a whole new experience for a child...and even though I did not know it...it also probably made me realize that cartoons could be serious.

Once we got back to Nigeria (in 1989)...our anime watching got cut off. For the next ten years, the only anime I saw watching Nigerian TV was....Voltron (the heavily re cut and re-transcribed English version of Golion) and G-Force...and only a few episodes. Our family did eventually get a VHS machine...but anime was hard to come by(unless someone had a relative who lived abroad). I still watched a lot of Western animation, but eventually, as the years passed, I lost interest...and by the time I was 20...I rarely if ever watched cartoons of any kind.(Except for some movies like Titan A.E...which I watched as a 25 year old.).

My road back to anime was....well, by chance. Six years ago, I went abroad...to the UK....to do a Masters. One fine Saturday, I was bored, I had nowhere to go, so I turned on the TV in my student apartment...and began changing through channels.And on one of the channels...there was an animated film/anime, directed by Hayao Mizakao (the most famous anime master of the last 40 years)..called Lupin the Third:The Castle of Caligrostro. I sat down and watched....and by the end of the show...I was an anime fan. Again.

Needless to say, I spent the next few months watching many Mizakao films...Princess Monoke stands out for me...and then I discovered manga on the internet...which led to me watching more anime.(most anime are derived from manga).Speaking of Manga...the first one I read was Love Hina...about a young boy who is trying to get into University, who by accident becomes the manager of a girls dormitory...and his relationships with the qurky dorm residents. Then on finishing that...I became a fan of Rosario+Vampire...and many other mangas...including my all time favorite(which is another story for another time).I continued my newly found passion on getting back to Nigeria in 2012....and I still do it to this day.

So here I am, a single guy in his thirties, who watches cartoons.(Sorry, it is anime).I have no regrets about it. It is , without a doubt, one of the fun habits I have developed....and I hope to continue it when I am older.

And that's the story.

Source: Here
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by Ogbulaba(m): 7:09am On Feb 08, 2017
cool bro. I wonder y most Nigerians think anime is for kids alone, while in fact dere are so many of them kids won't comprehend if they watch dem

1 Like

Re: How I Got Into Anime. by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 08, 2017
Ogbulaba:
cool bro. I wonder y most Nigerians think anime is for kids alone, while in fact dere are so many of them kids won't comprehend if they watch dem

That is true. Most anime have certain cultural references that only an adult can get. And many anime (eg seinen anime) are geared towards adults.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Into Anime. by franugo(m): 12:42am On Feb 09, 2017
pls I need a good site where I can download animes like attack on Titans for free

cc 9jakohai
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 09, 2017
franugo:
pls I need a good site where I can download animes like attack on Titans for free

cc 9jakohai

Try this site

Also, download Torch web browser..has a download feature.
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by nani667: 2:55am On Feb 09, 2017
franugo:

cc 9jakohai

chia-anime.tv

You can get all the Anime you need from there ✔

You can Join our Anime Telegram Group

https:///joinchat/AAAAAAoc2qpEUNHuvRJcfQ
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by hosenkatsumabeni: 9:25pm On Feb 09, 2017
coming from someone who's watched naruto, bleach and death note. please people need to watch code geass . it is the best anime ever

1 Like

Re: How I Got Into Anime. by vincentico(m): 12:14pm On Feb 10, 2017
hosenkatsumabeni:
coming from someone who's watched naruto, bleach and death note. please people need to watch code geass . it is the best anime ever
No sh*t that anime got me hooked 4 months
can't wait for season 3

1 Like

Re: How I Got Into Anime. by hosenkatsumabeni: 6:28pm On Feb 10, 2017
vincentico:
No sh*t that anime got me hooked 4 months
can't wait for season 3
me too. Don't really get why it's not that popular.
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by franugo(m): 2:34am On Feb 11, 2017
nani667:

chia-anime.tv

I ain't on telegram,,, thanks for your suggestion. will try it out
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by franugo(m): 2:36am On Feb 11, 2017
hosenkatsumabeni:

if u mean code geass is better than death note, then I've got to try it out...death note is my best anime so far, tops naruto by far IMO
...any link to d code geass?
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by franugo(m): 2:40am On Feb 11, 2017
nani667:

chia-anime.tv

I prefer downloading d animes pls, not streaming
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by vincentico(m): 2:49am On Feb 12, 2017
franugo:

if u mean code geass is better than death note, then I've got to try it out...death note is my best anime so far, tops naruto by far IMO
...any link to d code geass?
I downloaded the complete seasons R1 & R2 on Tubemate You should try that
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by franugo(m): 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2017
[quote author=vincentico post=53633303]I downloaded the complete seasons R1 & R2 on Tubemate You should try that [/quote
kk thanks
Re: How I Got Into Anime. by MrsSandman: 2:46pm On Feb 10, 2020
What a long story, thank you, it was interesting to read about your experience with anime. And if we talk about me, my love for anime started with Sailor Moon. When I was a child, I always ran to the TV when this anime was shown. Then my parents bought me a lot of Sailor Moon colorings and accessories for writing, I was very happy. After that, I didn't watch anime for a long time. Disney cartoons replaced it for me. But when I went to a friend and he was watching the Sword art online, I got involved in it again. I was so interested that the anime captured my heart completely.
Because this is an anime with a huge meaning that you will understand when you watch it as an adult. So, I became a big fan of anime and found a cool Akanagi blog about it. Now, I can't imagine my life without anime.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Send Me Any Movie Or Film You Want I Will Download It For You / BBNaija: Tacha, Khafi, two others up for eviction, See how they were selected / Latest Hot Movies Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.