Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (107) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980595 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunfoster: 11:15am On Oct 05, 2017
hayor2014:

Pls let the process be pasted here ooo. Some of us are in need of that route as much as you do.

Thank you.

good day,kindly link me up with your buddy,I need to know how he went about the ICAN to CPA conversion asap,thanks for the anticipated response.....e mail is Olusegunoduyoye@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunfoster: 11:16am On Oct 05, 2017
pls paste the process when you get it.

Thanks.
hayor2014:

good day,kindly link me up with your buddy,I need to know how he went about the ICAN to CPA conversion asap,thanks for the anticipated response.....e mail is Olusegunoduyoye@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 11:20am On Oct 05, 2017
Canadianfly:

If anyone who currently lives in UK is rethinking moving to Canada, go find other sources or create a thread and ask people to chime in their thoughts, but derailing this one is not fair on people who know nothing about either countries and are here solely for Canada.
You made some valid points but if this thread is about "Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant", why can't anyone ask questions about that here irrespective of where they live? I agree some have turned it to UK v. Canada but that doesn't mean questions can't be asked especially of those who have lived in both countries. It Just makes the whole process easier. Or why do people ask what they should or should not carry when coming from Nigeria? shouldn't they create another thread as well?
just saying.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 11:21am On Oct 05, 2017
Good to hear that you have sorted out the WES issue. Now the wait begins..
It took over nine months to eventually complete the process. I hope yours will be faster.

Ehrnie:

My sister - many thanks for the follow-up. That's so thoughtful of you. Thanks again smiley I was actually going to send you a debrief email, but you beat me to it.

Yes, WES have finally sent my completed ICAP to APEGA (just end of last week). Believe me, I had to chase my Nig Uni to verify my transcript again o...I'm so glad that's over now. Thankfully, I was still within the 90 day APEGA deadline, so that was ace.

Have a great day ahead and enjoy what's left of summer. wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by veleta: 11:27am On Oct 05, 2017
@Canadianfly,don't have time for your rants OK.

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:31am On Oct 05, 2017
Canadianfly is so right. You may have your valid reasons for comparing but this thread is not for it. I was about suggesting a thread be opened for comparing UK and Canada because this thread is to help us integrate into the system. I really got tired of all the comparisms. This thread has a title.
Please lets follow strictly. Sometimes i miss out 3 pages only for me to log on and start reading all these distractions. I was considering going back to Canadavisa.com until Canadafly reminded us of what the thread is all about. We have been good at redirecting people to the right thread when irrelevant posts are made here so please open a thread for comparing UK and Canada so that anyone coming here will know its all about our settling down in Canada. No offence intended.
veleta:
@Canadianfly,I think you can be civil in making your point without being sarcastic. Its alot easier to migrate from Nigeria and other undeveloped countries to developed countries.Each country has its pros and cos.
That someone is doing well in Canada doesn't mean everyone coming over there would make it.It boils down to grace of God .
My opinion though.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 11:34am On Oct 05, 2017
dupyshoo:
Good to hear that you have sorted out the WES issue. Now the wait begins..
It took over nine months to eventually complete the process. I hope yours will be faster.

Oh wow - good I started early then! I really pray it's completed on time too.

Note to all engineers looking to live and work (in their related field) in Alberta, please start your APEGA application early.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by OAAD: 11:35am On Oct 05, 2017
I practically joined Nairaland to respond to your comment.

While I understand your point, I think it is quite insensitive to attempt to shut her up. Like @Kayla10 said, everyone has a right to share their worries as well as request for suggestions. The thread is titled 'Living in Canada' and does not specifically state that it should only be helpful to those currently resident in Nigeria, who are looking to relocate to Canada.

The part about the rent and bus pass only came up when someone converted a certain annual income in Canada to GBP and wanted to know if any differential in the rate made sense, after factoring in the cost of living.

There are so many foreign forums in which issues of these comparisons come up, but it's always good to get the perspective of other Nigerians who are already resident in these countries.

I was trying to make comparisons between my options in Norway/The Netherlands/The UK in Europe and Canada in North America, when I stumbled on this thread more than six weeks ago and it's been very helpful. Having lived in France and the UK, I would say that I like the conservative lifestyle Europe offers as someone who is trying to start a family (with the private boarding schools), and is particular about where I decide to raise my kids. My main concern is avoiding the 'American lifestyle', which I'm not too keen on, and not been sure of how this compares to the Canadian lifestyle in general considering the proximity of both countries. @dupsyshoo and others making these comparisons have valid points and should be allowed to do so. Maybe you should just try to 'jump and pass' these comments and allow others who are willing to assist her and the rest of the silent followers with the same worries.

@Canadianfly, This is from a good place and I don't mean any harm, should my comment come across as such.
Canadianfly:

I think y'all are missing the aggravation. It's all well and good to have a rethink and all that beautiful emotional poetry about leaving a "comfortable England" for the fear of the unknown. But turning the thread to a bus pass and rent thread is very unproductive to read on here. I believe that people who have never lived in either countries, sought out this thread to find out about Canada and not the beautiful goodies in the U.K. That is my point. Every other week there's an argument comparing the two countries, from price of fridge to price of chips. How does that really help anyone
To address your line on on folks running away from heat in Nigeria, it's clear that the immigration process for the U.K is not as favorable as Canada, hence dupyshoo won't seek Canadian residency because of the uncertainty she faced last year in the U.K. And I bet you, it's after so many years of slaving in a not so well paying job and still not sure what status she held in the country. Wasn't it also running away from being returned to Nigeria? I totally dislike it when folks make it out to seem that Nigerians going through any country residency is doing so solely to run away from heat in Nigeria. Like folks who Live outside Nigeria are all doing better than the ones in Nigeria. We can go a Nigeria vs. any country you love to throw in the mix and I promise you, there are pros and cons everywhere.
If anyone who currently lives in UK is rethinking moving to Canada, go find other sources or create a thread and ask people to chime in their thoughts, but derailing this one is not fair on people who know nothing about either countries and are here solely for Canada.

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:48am On Oct 05, 2017
Please this thread is being derailed. You guys should take your fight elsewhere. I thought it is only in the general section that we get to see people calling in their friends to help them defend their stand.
OAAD:

While I understand your point, I think it is quite insensitive to attempt to shut her up. Like @Kayla10 said, everyone has a right to share their worries as well as request for suggestions. The thread is titled 'Living in Canada' and does not specifically state that it should only be helpful to those currently resident in Nigeria, who are looking to relocate to Canada.

The part about the rent and bus pass only came up when someone converted a certain annual income in Canada to GBP and wanted to know if any differential in the rate made sense, after factoring in the cost of living.

There are so many foreign forums in which issues of these comparisons come up, but it's always good to get the perspective of other Nigerians who are already resident in these countries.

I was trying to make comparisons between my options in Norway/The Netherlands/The UK in Europe and Canada in North America, when I stumbled on this thread more than six weeks ago and it's been very helpful. Having lived in France and the UK, I would say that I like the conservative lifestyle Europe offers as someone who is trying to start a family (with the private boarding schools), and is particular about where I decide to raise my kids. My main concern is avoiding the 'American lifestyle', which I'm not too keen on, and not been sure of how this compares to the Canadian lifestyle in general considering the proximity of both countries. @dupsyshoo and others making these comparisons have valid points and should be allowed to do so. Maybe you should just try to 'jump and pass' these comments and allow others who are willing to assist her and the rest of the silent followers with the same worries.

@Canadianfly, This is from a good place and I don't mean any harm, should my comment come across as such.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:51am On Oct 05, 2017
OAAD:

All I saw was "I joined Nairaland to respond to your comment" ......wow! What an honor grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:53am On Oct 05, 2017
czaratwork:
Canadianfly is so right. You may have your valid reasons for comparing but this thread is not for it. I was about suggesting a thread be opened for comparing UK and Canada because this thread is to help us integrate into the system. I really got tired of all the comparisms. This thread has a title.
Please lets follow strictly. Sometimes i miss out 3 pages only for me to log on and start reading all these distractions. I was considering going back to Canadavisa.com until Canadafly reminded us of what the thread is all about. We have been good at redirecting people to the right thread when irrelevant posts are made here so please open a thread for comparing UK and Canada so that anyone coming here will know its all about our settling down in Canada. No offence intended.

I don't even know why I responded to her post. Shoulda known it was a troll.

Back to regular programming.....Canadian pics coming up grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:54am On Oct 05, 2017
REMINDER!
czaratwork:
There is a TORONTO CAREER FAIR coming up on 5th October 2017 10am to 6pm at Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

I went out today and picked their free employment news up and free Job classified.ca newspaper and saw it there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:58am On Oct 05, 2017
OAAD:

Canada is completely different from America in terms of the lifestyle. You would actually find Canada as conservative as some countries in Europe especially if you live outside the big cities. Also depending on where you are coming from in Europe, you would actually still find some Canadian big cities like Calgary and Edmonton conservative. e.g I moved from Manchester and Calgary was a perfect fit for me i.e both cities are not too big. if i was moving from say London or Paris, I would probably find Calgary boring and decide to move to Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver. I have seen that happen among new immigrants on many occasions.

I dislike America too especially the gun violence. The gun violence is so bad that we even lost a great nairalander here a few years ago. He was going home from his college and got shot because a guy was trying to rob him of his backpack. All he had in it were textbook. I have families and friends down there who love that kind of lifestyle and would never live anywhere outside the US.lol

The expensive healthcare is a turn off for me too. I was still discussing with a colleague yesterday about the mass shooting in Vegas. 4 Canadians were killed and several injured. We both agreed that the Canadians who survived and are being treated in the hospital better have an health insurance else they are in trouble.

As per those complaining about comparison, its a norm even among Canadians themselves especially when they move or change provinces. Each province is governed like a different country. They would compare everything you can think of e.g weather, tax, cost of housing, insurance, schools, standard of infrastructure, food e.t.c. They would even compare cities or provinces with respect to retirement...lol.
Dupsysho is not out of place with her comments.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:01pm On Oct 05, 2017
My host/Landlady is taking me to the offices of Kelly services, International financial goup, access employment and randstad(all job recruitment agencies) today .
we want to see if they will give me audience or send me to their websites.

I never start and i don dey tired of sending resumes without response. Lets see if i can take it by force. ofcourse i will update the house.

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dupyshoo: 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
Seriously.... @the bolded. Did you mean I called my friends to come defend me? Believe, me, all my friends don't have time for this. The fact that I choose to be civil when passing across my opinion does not mean I do not have words to say. Will scoring points on Nairaland make me a better person? I refused to be provoked to the point of hurling abuse sha.

czaratwork:
Please this thread is being derailed. You guys should take your fight elsewhere. I thought it is only in the general section that we get to see people calling in their friends to help them defend their stand.

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:15pm On Oct 05, 2017
czaratwork:
My host/Landlady is taking me to the offices of Kelly services, International financial goup, access employment and randstad(all job recruitment agencies) today .

I never start and i don dey tired of sending resumes without response. Lets see if i can take it by force. ofcourse i will update the house.
It is always like that initially.

Having any sort of Canadian mark on your resume would go a long way. Take advantage of any new immigrant or employment training. It doesn't even have to be targeted at new immigrants Even if it's a day training...it would help. e.g you would be suprised at how a training say like first aid and cpr would even help on a job search.

Goodluck in your job search.

13 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bella123(f): 12:18pm On Oct 05, 2017
Well I don't think she was being sarcastic, she was just stating the OBVIOUS! The UK vs Canada thing was beginning to derail the thread....
veleta:
@Canadianfly,I think you can be civil in making your point without being sarcastic. Its alot easier to migrate from Nigeria and other undeveloped countries to developed countries.Each country has its pros and cos.
That someone is doing well in Canada doesn't mean everyone coming over there would make it.It boils down to grace of God .
My opinion though.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bella123(f): 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2017
LMAO
Canadianfly:

All I saw was "I joined Nairaland to respond to your comment" ......wow! What an honor grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:28pm On Oct 05, 2017
Canadianfly:

You are like my manager..he makes a joke out of every comment... grin

Make i go back to sleep for another 30min. it's 5.30 am here in Saskatchewan.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2017
That is fantastic. Hopefully, you'll get something from these visits. We are waiting for the update.

On another gist, while still awaiting for my PUM and still very much in Nigeria, I have received a few decent job alerts from jobbank and was thinking of applying. I am thinking of re-doing my CV in the advised Canadian style, use my sister's home address and use my Skype ID as contact ID.

Do you guys think it's worth giving it a try?

czaratwork:
My host/Landlady is taking me to the offices of Kelly services, International financial group, access employment and randstad(all job recruitment agencies) today .

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkigirl: 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2017
It's gradually turning into one of those weird whatsapp group chats where people are always arguing.
I don't mind the comparison. Sometimes the thread is really quiet and comparing both cities is something fresh. It also kinda gives an insight into life in canada. I had no idea of the cost of bus/train in canada and the general cost of a townhouse till the comparison started. And so many other minor details

Lets not do this. Sometimes, just ignore if it offends you. Stay away from the thread for a while till you simmer down. Either way, please continue with all info about canada no matter how it is written.

27 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 1:18pm On Oct 05, 2017
Ehrnie:

My sister - many thanks for the follow-up. That's so thoughtful of you. Thanks again smiley I was actually going to send you a debrief email, but you beat me to it.

Yes, WES have finally sent my completed ICAP to APEGA (just end of last week). Believe me, I had to chase my Nig Uni to verify my transcript again o...I'm so glad that's over now. Thankfully, I was still within the 90 day APEGA deadline, so that was ace.

Have a great day ahead and enjoy what's left of summer. wink

Nice One Ehrnie... So what next? i have had to put mine on hold cos of the ASUU Strike...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teeoba: 1:48pm On Oct 05, 2017
@ Yimiton and teewhy1
Passport delivered to Accra on September 19th. Sent the an email (to Ottawa, London VO and Accra) on Tuesday to ask for update and expedited processing. Got a response from London Visaoffice:

Thank you for your email.

Please allow a minimum of 4 weeks for the return of your passport.

Kind Regards,

BWJ
Immigration Section/Service d'immigration

High Commission of Canada/Haut-commissariat du Canada

Canada House | Maison du Canada
Trafalgar Square
London | Londres
SW1Y 5BJ

United Kingdom

Still keeping my eye on the CIC profile for changes though.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keni: 1:52pm On Oct 05, 2017
dupyshoo:
Seriously.... @the bolded. Did you mean I called my friends to come defend me? Believe, me, all my friends don't have time for this. The fact that I choose to be civil when passing across my opinion does not mean I do not have words to say. Will scoring points on Nairaland make me a better person? I refused to be provoked to the point of hurling abuse sha.

Please dont respond again we know how helpful you have been from the General thread.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TYjosh: 3:10pm On Oct 05, 2017
Lol...I couldn't agree more.

Reminds me of an episode I saw of Border Security Canada on CBS Reality (DSTV Ch 132) about 2 or 3months ago. A Canadian citizen (white male) had just been deported from the UK after he overstayed, spending a total of 15yrs in the UK on a 1yr visa. He appeared pretty devastated and told the Canadian Immigration officers at Trudeau airport that he worked in the UK as a builder until he was rounded up by UK Border Agency. The immigration officers checked his record in Canada and found that he had no criminal record. I was pretty shocked and wondered why Nigerians always assume that we are the only ones who choose to immigrate illegally or overstay visas? This man had the same Canadian passport that a lot of people from other countries are migrating to obtain.

My point is people decide to migrate for various reasons and from different places, even with passports that some other people will do anything to own. Different strokes for different folks.

All ideas are welcome on the thread. We all still have a lot to learn, regardless of what the comments are about.
nkigirl:
It's gradually turning into one of those weird whatsapp group chats where people are always arguing.
I don't mind the comparison. Sometimes the thread is really quiet and comparing both cities is something fresh. It also kinda gives an insight into life in canada. I had no idea of the cost of bus/train in canada and the general cost of a townhouse till the comparison started. And so many other minor details

Lets not do this. Sometimes, just ignore if it offends you. Stay away from the thread for a while till you simmer down. Either way, please continue with all info about canada no matter how it is written.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by zaragirl: 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2017
My COPR timeline.

Passport sent- 31st August
Passport received in Accra- 4th September
MyCIC account status approved- 15th September
Pick-Up Mail- 28th September
Passport delivered- 04th October.

Canada here I come, and for those still expectant. Don't worry, everything will come out positive. See you all.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 5:11pm On Oct 05, 2017
Thanks for sharing this update. Mine was sent on the 19th and delivered on the 22nd of September. This has sort of put my mind at rest.

Let the count down begin. But seriously though, what if one wanted to travel and needed the passports?

teeoba:
@ Yimiton and teewhy1
Passport delivered to Accra on September 19th. Sent the an email (to Ottawa, London VO and Accra) on Tuesday to ask for update and expedited processing. Got a response from London Visaoffice:

Please allow a minimum of 4 weeks for the return of your passport.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 5:14pm On Oct 05, 2017
Congrats Zaragirl.

That's complete one month from the whole process.

zaragirl:
My COPR timeline.

Passport sent- 31st August
Passport received in Accra- 4th September
MyCIC account status approved- 15th September
Pick-Up Mail- 28th September
Passport delivered- 04th October.

Canada here I come, and for those still expectant. Don't worry, everything will come out positive. See you all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 5:20pm On Oct 05, 2017
Canadianfly:

Are you alright

Because you just echoed EXACTLY what I wrote.

Provocative, immature and so over bearing. This thread is no one's personal "property". You see an ongoing discuss you don't like, jump am pass. Stop trying to intimidate people here, everyone is free to air their opinion!

In other news,what's up with London VO o? Their snail speed is beginning to grate on my nerves. But while we wait, can anyone that has lived in both Regina and Calgary kindly gist us comparatively about the pros and cons of each city?

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Triv: 5:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
Hello @vcole please any info on the varsity community NW Calgary would be much appreciated, is it a safe area? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bigmove: 5:35pm On Oct 05, 2017
Good day all, I have been a guest reader on the thread for a few days and I say weldone to everyone.

** Long post alert**

I have learnt a couple of things but my story is different from what's being mostly discussed, so I need your inputs and thoughts....

My husband secured admission for MBA into Rotman, Toronto last month to start Sept 2018 and end 2020. The plan was to join him after study;myself and child(ren). But last week he suggested we all going together because a couple of his friends hinted that as that would be better for the family and all.

the thing is this, arrangement has been made for his study and for us too back home (rent; check, feeding; check). I'm presently out of job but slated for msc 2018. Hubby is saying pulling all the resources together will get us by in Canada till hes done with study i.e feeding money plus rent we'll collect and sale of other properties. Also that i can get something doing to help with bills.

with the change in plans now I'm scared of it all, I dnt wanna be stranded in Canada but hubby is going on and on about how its all gonna work out and that i should give my support and not be a killjoy. I'm to go renew my passport and also get for our baby.

So, good people, how's the plan and arrangement? is it feasible? any idea on cost of living for a month? rent for a 2 bedroom per month in Toronto? feeding for 3 per month? other miscellaneous? getting a job for myself? any job? do I also get my certificates verified as I've read? how to go about settling down? child care? and things I cannot think of now....
pls and pls help a sister

cc blackbuddy, salford1, vcole, Ballerz, maternal, impish and others.....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cisco123: 5:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
@ Salfold1

Many thanks for your numerous contributions, pix and openness. I was going to send you a PM but thought others like me may also benefit from our discussion.

I'm Saskatchewan bound and wish to continue with my engineering practice (electrical) when I arrive. I've applied to APEGS for EIT but unfortunately I was assigned to write the confirmatory exam.
I've reviewed the said exam and I find sitting for about 16 exams for just EIT tough. I am considering the options of writing the APEGA NCEES FE exam or enrolling for a M.Eng program at UoS as better alternatives. Please kindly advise and I would really appreciate if you can link me with a study group.

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.