Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,140 members, 7,860,100 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:14 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2013805 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 10:30pm On Dec 25, 2017
XX01:

How do you get on the wait list? Do you just apply to the nearest daycare or any one at all?
Daycare waitlist and subsidy waitlist is different . Every daycare has a maximum number of children they can take . In my case I had to wait till sept as the daycares I contacted were filled up and promised to have space once the preschoolers moved to school by sept.
The subsidy waitlist is with the govt helping u to pay part of the childcare fee if you qualify. Check out the link below. You can also use the subsidy calculator to have an idea of how much you will be paying daily which in my case was very accurate even before I got approved.
https://secure.toronto.ca/children/subsidy/

8 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:42pm On Dec 25, 2017
https://betakit.com/michael-hyatt-small-business-owners-must-focus-on-building-a-great-culture/?utm_content=buffera0075&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Techy people please read. Maybe you can also think of setting up your own business. Others too can learn one or two things here on office culture. It's not all about resume. After you've gotten the job what next?

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:18am On Dec 26, 2017
solomonsny:
Thank you for the reply. From the little research ive done, most of the analytics jobs are in Ontario which according to our elders has the highest cost of living and is not the best place to start from for new immigrants. How would you go about that such a situation?

In other news, was reading somewhere and saw this.... The summer of 2020 will see the unemployment rate in Canada drop to nearly zero percent as young workers entering the workforce fail to keep up with the elderly workers retiring by the thousands. Ontario, for example, will see 190,000 job positions go unfilled. Canada will have as many as 1.8 million jobs without the right quality of people to apply for them by 2030

If it's true then this Express Entry thing is just gonna gather more steam. Hope next year doesn't leave me behind.

The high end Techy and Finance jobs are in Toronto Ontario and if you want to compete for your space you need to be where it is happening. Good enough there are some relatively cheaper places in Ontario that you can commute daily to and fro Toronto. One of the Directors of one of the big banks i met in downtown Toronto when i went for ACCA members networking commutes daily from Brampton. So if an Oga can do that, whats stopping omoshe like me.(In his case i dont think money is the problem. He is indian and they have this communal life in Brampton that i guess he wants to be around his people).

There are other cities like oakville, Mississauga(my wonderful city) etc that are cheaper than Toronto.

Though interviews are done these days using skype and telephone, The recruiter is more comfortable interviewing someone he is sure wont have problems commuting to work if eventually picked for the job so they look at your address before shortlisting you and if they desperately need you skills, they need the assurance that you are willing to relocate. I am talking about those residing outside Ontario.

Now there is a trade off. Do you want cheap city or career advancement? It's up to you to decide. The good thing is that if you start running low in cash, you can pick up the odd hour survival jobs while you are still scouting for the big job (But dont get lost in that survival job that you forget wetin carry you come Canada).

Most of the people i met in that ACCA networking meeting said networking was their deal breaker. One said he went for his other association's meeting and met someone who helped him get his job. The other said he got a foot in the door job and got very friendly with his HR so when there was an opening for an accountant, it was him that was chosen.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:28am On Dec 26, 2017
DatechMan:
Nobody gree gimme xmas rice chop. No wahala. The chill wind here sef no be play.

Merry Xmas

As in .... Me wey wan comot. I no see road leave my house .

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:09am On Dec 26, 2017
solomonsny:
Ontario which according to our elders has the highest cost of living and is not the best place to start from for new immigrants.
I guess you are referring to the city, Toronto. imo, If you are a new immigrant in the IT sector or core finance, I cant think of any other city that can match Toronto in terms of opportunities.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 1:20am On Dec 26, 2017
maternal:

Perhaps your friend smelled ? I use to do this to people a lot when I used public transport. When you start getting passed on for jobs or promotions while in the job, you'll wish a white person not sitting beside you would be the most racism you'll experience here.

Not only smell. Canada is big on being scent free as well. If your friend wore perfume that irritated the next person, they would most likely not want to sit next to him/her. I personally do not sit beside any person with strong scents anytime I have to take the public transit system. With the cold, if any person smells, they need Jesus honestly

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:27am On Dec 26, 2017
czaratwork:

The high end Techy and Finance jobs are in Toronto Ontario and if you want to compete for your space you need to be where it is happening. Good enough there are some relatively cheaper places in Ontario that you can commute daily to and fro Toronto. One of the Directors of one of the big banks i met in downtown Toronto when i went for ACCA members networking commutes daily from Brampton. So if an Oga can do that, whats stopping omoshe like me.(In his case i dont think money is the problem. He is indian and they have this communal life in Brampton that i guess he wants to be around his people).

There are other cities like oakville, Mississauga(my wonderful city) etc that are cheaper than Toronto.

Though interviews are done these days using skype and telephone, The recruiter is more comfortable interviewing someone he is sure wont have problems commuting to work if eventually picked for the job so they look at your address before shortlisting you and if they desperately need you skills, they need the assurance that you are willing to relocate. I am talking about those residing outside Ontario.

Now there is a trade off. Do you want cheap city or career advancement? It's up to you to decide. The good thing is that if you start running low in cash, you can pick up the odd hour survival jobs while you are still scouting for the big job (But dont get lost in that survival job that you forget wetin carry you come Canada).

Most of the people i met in that ACCA networking meeting said networking was their deal breaker. One said he went for his other association's meeting and met someone who helped him get his job. The other said he got a foot in the door job and got very friendly with his HR so when there was an opening for an accountant, it was him that was chosen.

Just as you mentioned, networking is indeed the real deal breaker. It can make life very easy and the interview a walk in the park. Where I currently work which is a government establishment, they won't necessarily pick the candidate that interviewed best. Once there is a recommended candidate by the hiring manager, that is the person they would go for. The hiring manager could have met the candidate at a meeting or networking event.

In some other coys, the job application questionnaire would ask if you were recommended by a staff or have relatives in the company, if yes, they would ask for name. This alone gives a good chance that one would atleast be shortlisted for an interview.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:32am On Dec 26, 2017
Iyamefa:

Not only smell. Canada is big on being scent free as well. If your friend wore perfume that irritated the next person, they would most likely not want to sit next to him/her. I personally do not sit beside any person with strong scents anytime I have to take the public transit system. With the cold, if any person smells, they need Jesus honestly
Correct. It could be confusing at times tbh. Offices are usually scent free, but in the field, it's best to use a deodorant. One of the section at work as an extra warning at all main doors. Emails were even sent out that "Absolutely no scent allowed". From what I heard, a particular lady in that section falls ill when she percieves a strong scent.

In addition, body odour is also possible in the cold. Too many layers could trap body heat and make people sweat; hence, give off body odour.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SOTAJ: 6:20am On Dec 26, 2017
yettyopy:

Please note that for childcare it varies on family income as stated after filing tax. I pay 525 monthly with government subsidy . I also have a friend that just moved here and pays $0 cos she just started working. With child care it's important to note that there is always a wait list with govt subsidy so try as much as possible to get on the list asap. Cos I had to wait for 4 5 months to get approved.

Wow! Please, which Province are you? In Alberta, the current maximum the govt pays as subsidy on childcare is $310/per month (From grade 1 and above) even for the lowest income and $546/per month up to Kindergarten. They don't pay all, and there's no waiting list.

Your Provincial govt is really trying, I guess that's why you have waiting lists.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 7:28am On Dec 26, 2017
czaratwork:

Thanks for this analysis. Does it mean that as an accountant, one can't get job outside Ontario or it would be nearly impossible. For me I prefer to work as an accountant in a company than working in a firm of Accountants or bank even in Nigeria.

Just want to clear that aspect please. How easy is it to get jobs in a company outside Ontario - the financial hub.

I would research on this Mississauga and other suburbs.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 10:53am On Dec 26, 2017
We used Ethiopia airline, Flight was scheduled for 1.10pm out of naija. We left the house at 8.30am and got there in good time, we had 11 check in bags (paid for 1 extra bag), 5 hand luggages, 2 laptop bags and 3 children trolley bags, hehehe, me sef tire for the load(family of 5).

All our bags were 30kg except 1 which was 20kg cos customs removed my palm oil (nonsense) my palm kernel and coconut oil made it thru, (maybe cos they were in smaller bottles)

Flight was on time, children were excited to be moving to a country with snow and made out plans of how they would play in d snow (too much cartoon) lol. Inflight entertainment was ok, food (rice) was saltless but we chop am like that, before hunger go kill purzon above sea level.

We got to Ethiopia on time, waited like for 2-3 hours before proceeding to Dublin (they changed crew and some other “minene” we didn’t leave d plane) after like 40 minutes we were off again to Toronto, got there in good time but the queue at d airport for all d registration (stamping of copr and getting of sin) made us miss our connecting flight to Edmonton but we were fixed for the next one and the attendant was nice to check in all our hand luggages (free at last)

Flight from Toronto to Edmonton is 4-5 hours inside one country.
I had read someone’s post somewhere where he/she said no free food on air Canada so I wasn’t expecting anything as I no get money to buy, I positioned myself well to sleep then someone tapped me and asked what I’d like to eat, first thing I said was I don’t want to buy, (I no Dey for gbese o) then she said, your ticket comes with a meal, o boy see as I asked for big sandwich, hehehe.

We got to Toronto, went to baggage pickup and only 4 made the trip with us, we went to complain and our details was taken and told they would give us a call when they arrive, all bags came in later that night.

I noticed one of my bags had been opened and a nylon containing detergent was torn open, I guess they thought it was hard drugs (so those of u planning to transport those things be careful o, dem go catch u)

We arrived the day snow decided to start falling again. As at today it’s -29

We got home to already cooked food, yippie!!!

All in all the journey was ok, the children behaved themselves especially my 2 year old that I was really concerned about.

This is the end of my story, thank you.

115 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:16am On Dec 26, 2017
Please for driving with the naija license, do we just start driving or there’s documentation to be done first?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 26, 2017
MummyJaygirls:
We used Ethiopia airline, Flight was scheduled for 1.10pm out of naija. We left the house at 8.30am and got there in good time, we had 11 check in bags (paid for 1 extra bag), 5 hand luggages, 2 laptop bags and 3 children trolley bags, hehehe, me sef tire for the load(family of 5).

All our bags were 30kg except 1 which was 20kg cos customs removed my palm oil (nonsense) my palm kernel and coconut oil made it thru, (maybe cos they were in smaller bottles)

Flight was on time, children were excited to be moving to a country with snow and made out plans of how they would play in d snow (too much cartoon) lol. Inflight entertainment was ok, food (rice) was saltless but we chop am like that, before hunger go kill purzon above sea level.

We got to Ethiopia on time, waited like for 2-3 hours before proceeding to Dublin (they changed crew and some other “minene” we didn’t leave d plane) after like 40 minutes we were off again to Toronto, got there in good time but the queue at d airport for all d registration (stamping of copr and getting of sin) made us miss our connecting flight to Edmonton but we were fixed for the next one and the attendant was nice to check in all our hand luggages (free at last)

I had read someone’s post somewhere where he/she said no free food on air Canada so I wasn’t expecting anything as I no get money to buy, I positioned myself well to sleep then someone tapped me and asked what I’d like to eat, first thing I said was I don’t want to buy, (I no Dey for gbese o) then she said, your ticket comes with a meal, o boy see as I asked for big sandwich, hehehe.

We got to Toronto, went to baggage pickup and only 4 made the trip with us, we went to complain and our details was taken and told they would give us a call when they arrive, all bags came in later that night.

I noticed one of my bags had been opened and a nylon containing detergent was torn open, I guess they thought it was hard drugs (so those of u planning to transport those things be careful o, dem go catch u)

All in all the journey was ok, the children behaved themselves especially my 2 year old that I was really concerned about.

Wonderful trip. Enjoy your stay. Weather is -29 not bad but expect -50 in Edmonton come January p

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 12:53pm On Dec 26, 2017
@Salford1, @Vcole and other landed seniors.
What city would you advice a Nigerian trained Architect to land? A city where Architectural jobs are available or something closely related. A city with relative ease in professional membership. Kindly give an on-ground advice if you can.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:27pm On Dec 26, 2017
olajide21:
What city would you advice a Nigerian trained Architect to land? A city where Architectural jobs are available or something closely related. A city with relative ease in professional membership. Kindly give an on-ground advice if you can.

Move to Dubai jo. They're looking for Architects everyday grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gracelevel: 1:39pm On Dec 26, 2017
salford1:

I guess you are referring to the city, Toronto. imo, If you are a new immigrant in the IT sector or core finance, I cant think of any other city that can match Toronto in terms of opportunities.

please help evaluate core finance careers in your context
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 2:20pm On Dec 26, 2017
Canadianfly:

Move to Dubai jo. They're looking for Architects everyday grin

That place no dey help. Spend Ten years there and your passport would only be "greener"!!!...

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 2:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Flight was on time, children were excited to be moving to a country with snow and made out plans of how they would play in d snow (too much cartoon) lol. Inflight entertainment was ok, food (rice) was saltless but we chop am like that, before hunger go kill purzon above sea

Lol
Happy landing... You're too funny cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
olajide21:

That place no dey help. Spend Ten years there and your passport would only be "greener"!!!...

So would your account balance grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:58pm On Dec 26, 2017
gracelevel:

please help evaluate core finance careers in your context
Evaluate as in amount or judge? if its the latter, then i meant finance jobs which you would most likely find in head offices or large centres. Using banking as an example, middle and back office jobs (which usually has more opening than front offices roles) would be located in large business districts. The core finance roles you would likely find outside these large business districts would be financial advisors in branches accross the country.

olajide21:
Architecture is a regulated profession. That is all I know about your field. I can't tell how much they are in demand or what city favours them most.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 5:48pm On Dec 26, 2017
You & your humour. I kept laughing over n over reading this.

MummyJaygirls:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 26, 2017
I loved that bolded part. Let me start my search on Mississauga and those other cities near Toronto. Hopefully that daily commute doesn't become a serious burden, if you're spending 3 hours in transit to and fro work, it may not be worth it in the end.

czaratwork:

Now there is a trade off. Do you want cheap city or career advancement? It's up to you to decide[i][/i]. The good thing is that if you start running low in cash, you can pick up the odd hour survival jobs while you are still scouting for the big job (But dont get lost in that survival job that you forget wetin carry you come Canada).

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 6:32pm On Dec 26, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

welcome to canada! nice to finally hear of your landing story.. next stop successful job search, school, car and accommodation ....
grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mire222: 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
salford1:

[b]
If you overcame tribalism in Nigeria, then you would overcome any racism or prejudice you might encounter in a developed country.

I had to add to this post just to encourage someone out there. The statement above is very very valid.

Racism was One of my many reasons when I was "anti-relocation " and a staunch Nigerian Patriot until I saw the "light".lol. don't mind all those people arguing against relocating, they will come to their own by themselves. I know cos I was worse.

About the racism thing Salford is very correct because I don't think anything can be worse than the woes and insults that I have experienced from educated people in my so called country just because I married from a different tribe. And it feels worse than racism because for goodness sakes, you wonder that is it not just language,wetin!!!! Imagine people telling you to your face that you steal their men and for others ,their problem is that you have a job in their state when there are many jobless.... I mean these are just a few examples. So, if a white person were even racist towards me, I would probably sympathize with him. Lol. It's people with low self esteem that are racist/tribalistic so I wouldn't worry about that. I've learned that it's not about me. Emotional Intelligence...

About the child care subsidy, I know a friend who relocated last year, that got daycare totally free for her child. She lives in Toronto.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 7:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Yipeeee. Mamajay done land.
Thank God for a smooth trip.

Outta curiosity tho, ur excess luggage... Did u have to pay for the extra 7kg on each of the 9 overweight bags? Or the airline checked in free??

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by crazyinlove: 10:17pm On Dec 26, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Congrats on your landing. We will be traveling with our toddler in Feb next year (20months by Feb). Please can you share your experience traveling with your 2year old. You mentioned you had concerns with him. Can you advice more so that I will know what to expect.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:11pm On Dec 26, 2017
Ajujuju2:

Yipeeee. Mamajay done land.
Thank God for a smooth trip.

Outta curiosity tho, ur excess luggage... Did u have to pay for the extra 7kg on each of the 9 overweight bags? Or the airline checked in free??

I didn’t pay but we just did farewell for them, you know na grin but for the extra bag we paid and got a receipt

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
crazyinlove:

Congrats on your landing. We will be traveling with our toddler in Feb next year (20months by Feb). Please can you share your experience traveling with your 2year old. You mentioned you had concerns with him. Can you advice more so that I will know what to expect.

Thanks

I packed plenty sweet mouth and let her move about if she wanted to, the screen occupied her too, I let her press press and sleep assisted too.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Deebay: 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

I packed plenty sweet mouth and let her move about if she wanted to, the screen occupied her too, I let her press press and sleep assisted too.

Pls how many hours was your arrival in Toronto to your initial take off to edmonton? That's since you missed your initial flight, how many hours did you spend doing your landing formalities?
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 11:32pm On Dec 26, 2017
Nice! Welcome MummyJaygirls! Plenty snow to welcome you. Thank God for safe trip.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:52pm On Dec 26, 2017
mamacajah:

welcome to canada! nice to finally hear of your landing story.. next stop successful job search, school, car and accommodation ....
grin

All check wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:52pm On Dec 26, 2017
merrymum:
Nice! Welcome MummyJaygirls! Plenty snow to welcome you. Thank God for safe trip.

Hmmm, no be small thing, but we r ready

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.