Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,737 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980398 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Thetherapist: 7:25am On Jan 03, 2018
Good morning house and compliment of the season to us all. A quick question please. Can one get into the EE pool and end up getting a PR with a wrong date of birth on international passport without issues. Correct date of birth is 1983. This is the year of birth in all documents excluding international passport that has 1981 (travelled to the UK with same passport) getting to change the year of birth with Nigeria immigration proved abortive.

Would it be cool getting into the pool with this year of birth since all other document has a valid year of birth except the passport or would still have to get the year of birth changed. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wildchild02: 7:25am On Jan 03, 2018
oohunt:

Can someone help with this question please?

In my opinion, you have to do your research, find out which jobs are being advertised and where you can fit in. But it will also help to get some guidance from current IT professionals in Canada. I was going to ask the same question. It has been discussed in the beginning but that was in the first 30 pages or so and there were no specifics.
I thought you're an IT professional currently working in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 8:05am On Jan 03, 2018
salford1:

Nothing is guaranteed in life. Bridging programs though helps in learning alot about the canadian work culture, building resumes or building professional networks in your field, some would even send you to local college to obtain certificates that could be 8 months long free of charge plus stipends, much still depends on preparation, luck, favour or fate or whatever you want to call it.

In my opinion, they are definetly worth it since it is at no cost to you. Some are even competitive to get on. e.g CCIS programs in Calgary. They could receive over 200 applications for 20 spots in some of their programs. You would go through series of tests and interviews.

Just like you, I know lots of people that still returned to schools after bridging programs. I also know some that returned to survival jobs after bridging programs, and I also know some that got good jobs after bridging programs. There are also some that never made use of them as well and still got good jobs.

To each his own. I personally prefer getting Canadian qualification if you have the time or money. A bridging program may not give you the highly coveted canadian education and some co-op programs could give up to 1 year of paid work experience.

hello everyone and a happy new year to you...
I need clarification on an issue,kindly indulge me.
So my wife and I will be arriving in April. i will be on an internal transfer from my present company in Nigeria will my wife plans on beginning an Msc program possibly in Administration.
Is there a particular way to go about this or can she just march into any of the universities/colleges and ask for how to enrol in the post graduate school?

I would appreciate your positive responses on this. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 8:56am On Jan 03, 2018
DatechMan:
I am beginning to enjoy this thread.
All the information being passed on here are really invaluable.
I am also considering the Fall '18 admission . My understanding is that MSc. being thesis based and usually funded is more competitive. M.Eng. which is course-based is usually self-funded. I have also found that the M.Eng programme is usually slightly more expensive than the MSc. programme.
I have never really given M.Eng a real thought before now, since I was applying as an international student. Now that I am a Canadian PR, I am seeming to favor it. Seniors in the house, please I need your input.
I have a 4.02/5.0 from a Federal Uni. I want to weigh my chances before applying. This one that I hear that UBC is bouncing 1st class guys.
I was in the telecom industry in Naija for about 4 years. I am looking to go for M Eng. or MSc. in Renewable Energy or related field. I am especially interested in a school with good coop/ internship opportunity.

Let's rub mind together abeg. This Canadian hustle shall end in praise.

Bro,the fact that a couple of guys were bounced doesn't mean that your application will be bounced too. Shoot your shot o. grin. Also, apply to the less competitive schools.

As a PR, you stand a better chance of being funded for your Msc program than as an international student. A professor in Utoronto told my colleague that she doesn't have "enough funding for international students". You know in some cases, your school fees as an international student is part of this funding and it's usually thrice what PR/ citizens pay. Well, my colleague is in the process of getting PR( got ITA recently and has submitted his application) and so wrote the professor to tell her that in few months time he could be a PR. The professor seems interested again and asked him to apply.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 9:51am On Jan 03, 2018
pauloverdi:
Hi brethren (this matter don turn ministry) please I'd like to know if anyone here that landed in Canada in september 2017 has received his/her PR card? In november They sent me an email and letters requesting us to send fresh passport photographs cos they couldn't use the one
I sent when I was in naija (same pictures they used to issue COPR! the matter tire me!) And we've sent those. I heard from 2 other guys, one of them an Indian who has been here for a while, that they had d same experience. Have been waiting for the PR cards in the mail since but no news. Just curious to know if any one here that landed around the same time has received theirs

You can link and track the pr card process with your cic account.

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/143#62705851

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 10:50am On Jan 03, 2018
I woke up one day in October 2017, and saw this pop up that I was being suspended till Dec 31. I did not know what it meant until I tried to respond to a query. Reached out to Osewa and team and there was no response. And since I was not being paid for providing content on the blog, I told myself I would use those minutes for other productive matters.

Those who reached out to me, I still provided the help I could. And guess what….? I have met quite a number of people from NL in person. Met this Nigerian Guy at Acces, we exchanged numbers. It was just last week he said “I think we have communicated before, I sent you a Whatsapp Chat and you responded” I said I am not sure. He said he will look for the chat, and boooom na true o. Cool guy. Make we dey do good. If he was to assassinate me, na easy does it he would have taken me out.

Met Czar two or three times now. I even ate her Ogbono when I visited her in Mississauga. She has a creepy landlady.
For the Driving License, my guy is off that project. He doesn’t have direct hold on them again.
So what has been happening while I was away… I was going to resume to NL on Jan 1, after ban elapsed. I just told myself, this blog owner is unserious. I am not being paid for it, I am banning myself too.

Czaratwork can disturb! Choi… Since I don’t know why my handle was suspended, the next time they might ban me till 2025. So until I know their reason(s) I dey hiatus.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Thetherapist: 11:11am On Jan 03, 2018
Thetherapist:
Good morning house and compliment of the season to us all. A quick question please. Can one get into the EE pool and end up getting a PR with a wrong date of birth on international passport without issues. Correct date of birth is 1983. This is the year of birth in all documents excluding international passport that has 1981 (travelled to the UK with same passport) getting to change the year of birth with Nigeria immigration proved abortive.

Would it be cool getting into the pool with this year of birth since all other document has a valid year of birth except the passport or would still have to get the year of birth changed. Thanks

Abeg, at mummyjaygirls, Vcole, blackbuddy, Congo2 and other members. Help with this query of mine. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by error4040: 11:13am On Jan 03, 2018
careerwoman:

My responses are in bold.
I am tired of keeping quiet about these comparisons going on between a developed and developing country, a sane and an insane society. Please whatever rocks your boat. Don't move from one thread to another on Nairaland giving people shallow reasons why they shouldn't relocate.
Peace..
Your Reply to that HYPOCRITE Was more than Perfect!! I pray you have whatever you wished for this New year.

Amin.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 11:33am On Jan 03, 2018
Ballerz:
I woke up one day in October 2017, and saw this pop up that I was being suspended till Dec 31. I did not know what it meant until I tried to respond to a query. Reached out to Osewa and team and there was no response. And since I was not being paid for providing content on the blog, I told myself I would use those minutes for other productive matters.

Those who reached out to me, I still provided the help I could. And guess what….? I have met quite a number of people from NL in person. Met this Nigerian Guy at Acces, we exchanged numbers. It was just last week he said “I think we have communicated before, I sent you a Whatsapp Chat and you responded” I said I am not sure. He said he will look for the chat, and boooom na true o. Cool guy. Make we dey do good. If he was to assassinate me, na easy does it he would have taken me out.

Met Czar two or three times now. I even ate her Ogbono when I visited her in Mississauga. She has a creepy landlady.
For the Driving License, my guy is off that project. He doesn’t have direct hold on them again.
So what has been happening while I was away… I was going to resume to NL on Jan 1, after ban elapsed. I just told myself, this blog owner is unserious. I am not being paid for it, I am banning myself too.

Czaratwork can disturb! Choi… Since I don’t know why my handle was suspended, the next time they might ban me till 2025. So until I know their reason(s) I dey hiatus.

Justwise come and shed light o.

Why did you bounce my oga?

I suspect it might be some overzealous bot.

Edit:
I saw some of your post were previously deleted. I think it's human being. Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by arizona20: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2018
Please house i wish to enrol for my M.Eng programme in Canada.please I need somebody to assist me on how to apply for any good school in Canada.am a (b.eng) holder in civil engineering and wish to continue with it in my m.eng programme.please somebody should help me on the school to apply and the estimated tution fee and other expenses. thank you all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 11:44am On Jan 03, 2018
error4040:
Your Reply to that HYPOCRITE Was more than Perfect!! I pray you have whatever you wished for this New year.

Amin.

Amen ooo.. Wish you the same too..
Happy new year, everyone.. May all our dreams come true this year..

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 11:54am On Jan 03, 2018
Nogen:
Hello Beautiful Nairaland Family!
We finally moved into our new apartment yesterday.....
Few hours later, my Angel came with a big sack of duvet, bedspreads, blankets, pillow cases from his wife to us. The wife made a pot of white rice, chicken stew and a plate of fried plantain. Then added a chilled bottle of wine and a packet of juice for the children. I was like woooow! They said, we know you guys can easily buy these stuffs but today, shops are closed till 2nd or even 3rd. We can't be here and watch you suffer in this cold without basic things of life! Before I forget, he also gave us a small heater to use in the bedroom because according to them, it will take a while for the apartment to heat up as we would like considering we are coming from a tropical region
When he left, I started crying. My husband said something to me. It is always good to also give because we never know when we will be given back in return. 2 weeks before we left, I started giving out all the things my children used, from cars seats , clothes, walkers, swings, toys, cribs to total strangers I met on social media because I advertised for people who needed any of those items to contact me. My husband was even asking me then why give out all, why couldn't I sell some of them. I said No. My spirit has asked me to give them out to people who would need them. I wasn't selling. At that point, we needed money to tidy up one or two things . I had no doubt in my mind that those items should be given out free.
So, that's my update! God bless us in all our endeavors!
This God!!! Glad to know that you're settling in well.
God has sat on top of your matter oo. cheesy Just relax and enjoy all His favours and blessings because you deserve it... Kindness begets kindness..

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 1:26pm On Jan 03, 2018
pauloverdi:
Hi brethren (this matter don turn ministry) please I'd like to know if anyone here that landed in Canada in september 2017 has received his/her PR card? In november They sent me an email and letters requesting us to send fresh passport photographs cos they couldn't use the one
I sent when I was in naija (same pictures they used to issue COPR! the matter tire me!) And we've sent those. I heard from 2 other guys, one of them an Indian who has been here for a while, that they had d same experience. Have been waiting for the PR cards in the mail since but no news. Just curious to know if any one here that landed around the same time has received theirs
I have gotten mine.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SummerIceWorld: 1:35pm On Jan 03, 2018
Gereal:

Just seeing this. First am a lady. Took about 3 months. That's because I used Etx and they delayed for 6 weeks without doing anything. Had to pursue the transcript my self. Pm me so I send you a contacts number in UNIBEN

Good day, I'm kinda new here. I have been searching for information on how to get my WES done from Uniben and I came across this. It's for immigration to Canada. I graduated in 2012. I really need anyone who can help asap PLEASE.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 1:35pm On Jan 03, 2018
[quote author=Delta007 post=63843189]
What are you getting? What is reasonable to you? Your insurance quote depends on a number of factors including your driving experience, vehicle model and city/province.

If you are a costco member, you can explore the insurance company on the costco website. [/quote

Thanks for your response. I am getting $390. I live in Toronto and am getting this high quote because my g2 is less than a year . I was hoping to get like $250
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 1:47pm On Jan 03, 2018
Fusion23:

what city or province are you..insurance in Toronto is the mot expensive, Ottawa is a bit high..place like Regina and Edmonton are cheaper...Quebec is cheeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaap

@Delta 007 I will check out the cosco insura nice out, @fusion23 yeah Toronto.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:53pm On Jan 03, 2018
DatechMan:

Justwise come and shed light o.

Why did you bounce my oga?

I suspect it might be some overzealous bot.

Edit:
I saw some of your post were previously deleted. I think it's human being. Lol

He was banned for breaking rule number 22 on too many occasions. Its really annoying to see people asking for pm or contact me rather than asking questions openly here.

If you are unable to ask questions here so that others can learn then don't bother at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 1:55pm On Jan 03, 2018
SummerIceWorld:

Good day, I'm kinda new here. I have been searching for information on how to get my WES done from Uniben and I came across this. It's for immigration to Canada. I graduated in 2012. I really need anyone who can help asap PLEASE.

Check this link, search for WES verification from Uniben in the search bar....and ask your questions here.
Also take time to read through the thread for all enquiries on the Canadian Immigration process...
https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 1:59pm On Jan 03, 2018
Please where can one buy canadian dollar in Nigeria before travelling?Do banks sell it as BTA?what rate too?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 2:14pm On Jan 03, 2018
justwise:

He was banned for breaking rule number 22 on too many occasions. Its really annoying to see people asking for pm or contact me rather than asking questions openly here.

If you are unable to ask questions here so that others can learn then don't bother at all.
sir rule 22 states: "Don't ask Nairaland members for contact details (email, phone, bbpin) or investments."
If the reason he was banned was as you stated above, he did not break rule 22. Asking someone to contatct you is different for asking for someones contact details.
Just my observation

21 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 03, 2018
arizona20:
Please house i wish to enrol for my M.Eng programme in Canada.please I need somebody to assist me on how to apply for any good school in Canada.am a (b.eng) holder in civil engineering and wish to continue with it in my m.eng programme.please somebody should help me on the school to apply and the estimated tution fee and other expenses. thank you all.

Ask your question on the student thread---https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 3:15pm On Jan 03, 2018
maziude:

That might not be a wise decision.

IMO, going with the kid from the onset is the best plan. You both stabilize together. Afterall, you showed that you have what it takes to cater for both of you with your POF during application. So, what could be the fear here?
Bro!
Pls can you share you blog address with me? Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 3:54pm On Jan 03, 2018
Hello guys,

I see quite a lot of us are going to Cana in order to get white colar jobs.

Hardly anyone here talking about being a skilled professional in one niche or another.

Nobody talking about opening a salon, a workshop, a fashion house to sew aso ebis which I'm sure many of us will still want to rock at events, tech outlet, e.t.c.

Is it that we all want to be employees, or is it more expensive to own your own business?

Can we look at this angle and see if there are hot skills some of us can learn while awaiting ITA and PPR?

Welding, plumbing, barbing, sewing, hair dressing, gardening, wood work?

Aren't these good viable options?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2018
tintedniggz:

Bro!
Pls can you share you blog address with me? Thanks!

Bros, I never start blog oh.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:16pm On Jan 03, 2018
Negotiate:
Hello guys,

I see quite a lot of us are going to Cana in order to get white colar jobs.

Hardly anyone here talking about being a skilled professional in one niche or another.

Nobody talking about opening a salon, a workshop, a fashion house to sew aso ebis which I'm sure many of us will still want to rock at events, tech outlet, e.t.c.

Is it that we all want to be employees, or is it more expensive to own your own business?

Can we look at this angle and see if there are hot skills some of us can learn while awaiting ITA and PPR?

Welding, plumbing, barbing, sewing, hair dressing, gardening, wood work?

Aren't these good viable options?
I am not sure about learning welding and plumbing in Nigeria as that would most likely not be applicable here. Except maybe you have a city and guild certificate or ond or similar technical qualifications in welding and have hands on experience in industries like Hyundai Heavy, Nigerdock or other similar companies. Welding and plumbing are skilled and regulated professions in Canada.

Barbing though is not regulated. Black hair barbers are in high demand. Everytime i walk into one of the two barber shops I use in calgary, I have to wait atleast 2hrs before my turn. If I don't need any special style, I just call to book an appointment with an oyinbo barber. Those ones are always less busy.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2018
dustydee:

sir rule 22 states: "Don't ask Nairaland members for contact details (email, phone, bbpin) or investments."
If the reason he was banned was as you stated above, he did not break rule 22. Asking someone to contatct you is different for asking for someones contact details.
Just my observation

What is the purpose of asking someone to contact you or asking someone for contact details?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2018
honey86:

Your PR Card is probably delayed because you sent the same picture they already have. Take the specification to a passport shop and take a new one. If you are still in Nigeria and want to travel to Canada, you can find out if they still grant emergency travel certificate.

I've been in Canada since September. And the picture I sent was also taken in Canada. I took it at a staples store here in bc and paid for express delivery via Canada post to avoid delays.. The delay is so annoying. Is it advisable I contact Them?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 4:57pm On Jan 03, 2018
Hey Congo... Entrepreneurship is always a good way to go...

Considering that too and also considering landing in London... Would be nice to keep in touch.

TheCongo2:

This is an idea that I have been nursing for sometimes.
In Computer Science I have a passion for automation.
As a result of this, I had learned how to make automated toys for my kids.
Given that I had to use wood to make those toys, I have developed a passion for Carpentry in the process.
My home garage has been turned into a workshop. I have bought a lot of equipment (Table saw, Milter saw, Gigsaw ... ), .

For the time being, I am sharpening my skills in Carpentry and electronics (automation) by making toys for my kids and do few works around the house. But as time goes by, I will get involved with new projects and ideas

For instance, today I came across this thread on Nairaland (How Does Wheelbarrow Leasing Run)
https://www.nairaland.com/4264143/how-does-wheelbarrow-leasing-run
Among the cons that was presented in this thread was the fact that the person who lease the wheelbarrow can run away with it.
Then I thought to myself that the owner of the wheelbarrow can remotely activate an electronic device that is build into the wheelbarrow to lock the wheel in case the wheelbarrow isn't returned. There is also away to electronically locate the wheelbarrow in case it isn't returned. Maybe I should build such a wheelbarrow and send it to someone in Nigeria grin

In any case, I am no longer interested in working for any company. I just want to have the freedom to be on my own.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 4:59pm On Jan 03, 2018
justwise:

What is the purpose of asking someone to contact you or asking someone for contact details?
The rule is very clear, if it means what you described then why is the private message function available? The key here is he did not ASK any nairalander for CONTACT DETAILS.
Just saying.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 5:11pm On Jan 03, 2018
maziude:

Bros, I never start blog oh.
Oops!
Sorry bro grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 5:18pm On Jan 03, 2018
pauloverdi:

I've been in Canada since September. And the picture I sent was also taken in Canada. I took it at a staples store here in bc and paid for express delivery via Canada post to avoid delays.. The delay is so annoying. Is it advisable I contact Them?

When did they receive the new photos?

Note that it will take another 6-8weeks after receipt of new photos for your PR card to be approved and mailed out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Misterdhee1(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03, 2018
dustydee:

The rule is very clear, if it means what you described then why is the private message function available? The key here is he did not ASK any nairalander for CONTACT DETAILS.
Just saying.
Mr Justwise tho

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.