Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,664 members, 7,813,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1982168 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:43am On Jan 09, 2018
daremum:
Dear All,

PPR:30th November
Passport received:4th Dec
Approved: 28 Dec
COPR received: 08 Jan 18

Thank you
Congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:49am On Jan 09, 2018
He is special in everyway. It is God's prerogative and we can do nothing about it.
Ajujuju2:

Bro... I disagree with the boldened o.

YOU ARE SPECIAL IN YOUR OWN WAY...A TESTIMONY OF GRACE AND FAVOUR...
I can only smile and praise God because you are a constant reminder that he never leaves us.

He will bless us all with inexplicable grace and favours in our new home. Amen!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 1:40am On Jan 09, 2018
i went to church yesterday, oyibo ways are really not the ways of black man o,

see small children taking holy communion, meanwhile for naija if u never reach 13yrs and attended like 3 months confirmation classes, notin for u.

at the end of service, the lady in front of me said she liked my singing voice, o boy, music career loading, lol

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KrustyKomet: 2:01am On Jan 09, 2018
Watch how people will run into difficulties and hardship trying to replicate something like freeradical's 'miracle' in their lives.

I know this is almost certainly a given because as Nigerians we prioritize faith over work.

For those who are willing to listen remember that there is no other predictor of lasting success than hard work, no amount of faith or religious inspiration can substitute for this.

This is not to suggest that the Almighty has no place in in our lives or in the quest for success, indeed He as made everything possible for those willing to do the work and use the resources that He has placed at our disposal. You will get what you put into life, and thankfully, this is a relatively transparent transaction in a country like Canada.

Do your research, hone your plan, cover your bases, apply yourself, do not waiver in determination and you will most certainly succeed in living the Canadian dream.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 2:15am On Jan 09, 2018
Wetin person eye no go see.
Na so I take enter one chance.

I was coming from work on Friday, when I met this Indian guy at the bus station. We got talking and some brief introduction about what we do for a living and all. He asked for my number, saying he may be able to connect me with his boss who seem to be looking for Electrical Engineers. We exchanged numbers actually. He said he would get back to me over the weekend.

I was a bit delighted, and was thinking maybe my miracle don dey load. grin . Na so I holla am for Saturday evening. He called me back and said he spoke with his boss and he said he would need to know me first before anything can be done. Therefore, I should meet with him(the Indian guy) tomorrow(Sunday) at 7pm as that is the only free time in his schedule. Lol.

To cut the long story short, na so I go meet this guy for one McDonalds on McLaughlin. To my greatest dismay, the guy begin yarn opata about building Pipeline. Pipeline? In short he was introducing a form of MLM or some Investment scheme.

I dey look the guy head like say make I cut am. This guy chose the wrong client. If na for Lagos, I know wetin I suppose do you. I just sitdown listen well as he dey quote Robert Kiyosaki et al. After the whole drama, I was even expecting him to buy me a snack or something. The guy dey ask stupid questions. He was surprised to hear I pay $550 as rent and he thought my shoes are very nice. Poor Indian guy.

I guess my miracle never load finish. sad

36 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 2:49am On Jan 09, 2018
DatechMan:

Buahahahahaha! Man must wack

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 3:43am On Jan 09, 2018
Lols.

Wayo people everywhere. Naso i missed one call one day. As an applicant, i dey try return my missed calls. Naso i come return the call, the next thing i heard was welcome to world financial group ....... i dialled the extension she left for me, luckily she was not on seat to pick.

As soon as i dropped the line i went to google world financial group and what i saw was so disappointing. i had placed them higher than IFG. for my mind i was like World financial group should be a more credible company than International financial group. When i saw they were into MLM, I just weak and prayed they never called me back. To think of the fact that she said she saw my resume online and was impressed. i was feeling like i don land world bank kinda job.

Another string of numbers keep caling my line. if i block dem go use another number next to the previous one to call me. naso i dey impromptu interview with one company and that wayo number called me. The interviewer quickly told me to off my phone. when i checked, i saw it was that series calling me. please who knows how to permanently block those numbers make dem no go pour sandsand for my garri.

DatechMan:

I was coming from work on Friday, when I met this Indian guy at the bus station. We got talking and some brief introduction about what we do for a living and all. He asked for my number, saying he may be able to connect me with his boss who seem to be looking for Electrical Engineers. We exchanged numbers actually. He said he would get back to me over the weekend.

I was a bit delighted, and was thinking maybe my miracle don dey load. grin . Na so I holla am for Saturday evening. He called me back and said he spoke with his boss and he said he would need to know me first before anything can be done. Therefore, I should meet with him(the Indian guy) tomorrow(Sunday) at 7pm as that is the only free time in his schedule. Lol.

To cut the long story short, na so I go meet this guy for one McDonalds on McLaughlin. To my greatest dismay, the guy begin yarn opata about building Pipeline. Pipeline? In short he was introducing a form of MLM or some Investment scheme.

I dey look the guy head like say make I cut am. This guy chose the wrong client. If na for Lagos, I know wetin I suppose do you. I just sitdown listen well as he dey quote Robert Kiyosaki et al. After the whole drama, I was even expecting him to buy me a snack or something. The guy dey ask stupid questions. He was surprised to hear I pay $550 as rent and he thought my shoes are very nice. Poor Indian guy.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 4:35am On Jan 09, 2018
https://krebsonsecurity.com/about/

This man's story might interest you. He was a keynote speaker in ISACA CSX's (IT SECURITY) conference in 2016. His background did not determine that. His passion and vision did.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 7:12am On Jan 09, 2018
DatechMan:

loooool , this got me laffing hard...have missed a bit, hard keeping up with the thread now..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:32am On Jan 09, 2018
czaratwork:

please who knows how to permanently block those numbers make dem no go pour sandsand for my garri.

Download trucaller.
You would be able to register some numbers/incoming calls reported as spam or nuisance callers on a block list. The app would automatically terminate the call before it rings out.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:12am On Jan 09, 2018
Newmum0615:
I am gradually porting to this thread. Una doh o. I can see we have a copy of @elfmann here in @maternal. grin

@newmum0615, welcome on board.

Yes o, our very own dear @elfmann (from the Express Entry thread) has a twin in @maternal here! grin grin

Diversity of opinions and perspectives makes a thread robust, rich and engaging!

It will definitely end in praise IJN!

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsI: 10:42am On Jan 09, 2018
Good morning.

I have a question please...... I got my copr last year but had to get married afterwards. I informed cic and they sent a looooong list of requirements which we have sent. That was early December. However, I'm yet to get any response from them. And I can't even tell what stage I'm in. Has anyone been in this situation and what was the timeline before they responded? My medicals will be expiring in a couple of months and I'm expected to land before then.

Please I'd appreciate a response. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 10:48am On Jan 09, 2018
KrustyKomet:

Watch how people will run into difficulties and hardship trying to replicate something like freeradical's 'miracle' in their lives.

I know this is almost certainly a given because as Nigerians we prioritize faith over work.

For those who are willing to listen remember that there is no other predictor of lasting success than hard work, no amount of faith or religious inspiration can substitute for this.

This is not to suggest that the Almighty has no place in in our lives or in the quest for success, indeed He as made everything possible for those willing to do the work and use the resources that He has placed at our disposal. You will get what you put into life, and thankfully, this is a relatively transparent transaction in a country like Canada.

Do your research, hone your plan, cover your bases, apply yourself, do not waiver in determination and you will most certainly succeed in living the Canadian dream.

Hardwork without God's favour + intervension would only lead to plenty headache + stress.
The best is to work hard and pray hard and ask for God's favour. @freeradicals post shows the wonderful ways God works in our lives. That opportunity could have been someone else's.
Hard work alone would not lead us to success.!!! What's most important is that we recognise the role the almighty plays even when we become successful. It would only be boastful if we even ascribed success to ourselves.
There are thousands of people who work as hard as we did but were not given same opportunities as we were given.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 11:21am On Jan 09, 2018
DatechMan:

Sounds like You are in Missisauga / Brampton. More like Brampton. That McLaughlin rings a bell. Czaratwork cooks good afang soup. Make I post her number here?
Hahahaha. (Runs away).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 12:27pm On Jan 09, 2018
freeradical:
I'm back people with yet another of my recent experience with career advancement in Canada. So you guys remember me telling you all how I got two jobs and was spoilt for choice over which to pick. Well to refresh those that may have forgotten I chose the big firm (even though the position was temporary and entry level hourly operator while the other was permanent ,full time but for a smaller firm) because I believed it had better prospects for career growth.

Well I took my humble pie and resumed for the hourly operator job on 2nd January and we were all placed on a 3day orientation and training program. It went on like that up until Thurs when something dramatic happened. After we have been dispersed to head to our various departments, as I was waiting in the lobby with my other colleagues for our department rep, I was approached by the operations manager who asked if I could spare him 5mins of my time. I obliged and he took me to a meeting room and we were immediately joined by another manager. I sensed I was going to be interviewed again, so I quickly psyched myself. The operations manager started by telling me he needed a new group manager in his department as one of his guys just got promoted and moved to another location and he feels I can fill that position. The next 30-45mins was a grilling but yet refreshing interview where I was mainly asked competency based questions that required I relate my answers very well to my past experiences (which all came from Nigeria).

Afterwards I left the interview feeling like what just happened and went back to join the rest of my hourly operator crew only for the heads upstairs to send for me again after like 30mins. When I came up this time, the operations manager was there to receive me and then he told me there is someone he will like me to meet. This time it was the overall Plant manager who is the top boss in the Edmonton plant. I almost froze to the floor but then as omo naija my head quickly correct grin. After a firm handshake with the Plant manager I was taken to a larger conference room just me and him. Then he started interviewing me again. As usual I kept relating my answers to past work experiences from Nigeria. In the end he thanked me and encouraged me to keep developing myself especially in the new job I was being offered as they strictly apply meritocracy in career advancement in d organization.

I closed from work that still perplexed at how fast my fortunes are about to change. I got home and was still narrating the whole ordeal to my wife when I got a call from the operations manager that I have got the job and if I'm willing to accept the offer. I answered in the affirmative. Then he asked me to come into the plant the next day(we were billed to attend a safety training off-site as the hourly operators) as I need to sign a new offer letter and start immediately on the new management position I was offered.

So people that was how I started the year/week as a floor staff but ended the week as a first-line manager. The purpose of my sharing this story is not to in any way pride in my efforts because I owe everything I am to God but to encourage someone/anyone who can dare to believe in the impossible. Yes miracles still do happen. It's not by he that runneth but on the Lord that showeth mercy. Be courageous my fellow naija Canadians. Go out there and claim what's yours!

Peace.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Praiseeeeeee God!!!!!! Oh my WORLD! CONGRATULATIONS BRO!!!! Otu a ka Chineke mu di, agidigba o, look! Agidigba oo.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2018
daremum:
Dear All,

PPR:30th November
Passport received:4th Dec
Approved: 28 Dec
COPR received: 08 Jan 18

Thank you

Welcome to this thread. wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 12:31pm On Jan 09, 2018
Tamm:
Hi Arielle,

I'm not exactly sure how buoyant the development sector is in Canada, but I can remember reading a piece about a concentration of most of the big ID organizations in Quebec (in other provinces, I only know of IDRC in Ottawa). You may ask your friend to conduct more of her own research into this.

Nonetheless, I'll try to give you a general overview of how the sector works to the best of my knowledge. A career in the international development (ID) sector, in most places in the world, has more to do with networking than anything else. I have worked in the oil and gas sector, and I must say that it is much more difficult to start a career in ID compared to other sectors I know quite well. This is partly because the organizations (save for the big ones like the UN, the world bank etc) are considerably small. So you may understand why networking is important here. The UK isn't such a bad place for your friend to start, as there are a lot of organizations as well as charities in the UK (Christian Aid, Save the Children etc) where she can gain some relevant work/volunteer experience. From my personal experience however, I wouldn't advice her to proceed if she hasn't started the program yet.

There are a couple of postgrad programs within the EU where you spend approx two years in about two to three universities across the EU (each of the four semesters is spent in a different country), and most of them also have the possibility of spending one of the semesters as an intern in international development organizations (not small charities). During this program, your friend will be able to build her network (if she's proactive), gain some experience, learn a 2nd or 3rd language (highly recommended) and might even be able to land a job in Canada prior to landing, with her network. This is because unlike other sectors, ID work experience is global (much of the work done all over the world is similar), save for the humanitarian/emergency arm, where you require experience in areas affected by natural disasters or war zones. By the time she's done with her masters program, she'll be in a better position to decide the next step in her career/academic pursuit. Moreover, networking is also important for a career in ID consultancy, as no one will hire a consultant they don't know/or that does not come highly recommended.

Thank you for this Tamm. You're a star! I will just forward your response to her.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 1:12pm On Jan 09, 2018
czaratwork:
Lols.

Wayo people everywhere. Naso i missed one call one day. As an applicant, i dey try return my missed calls. Naso i come return the call, the next thing i heard was welcome to world financial group ....... i dialled the extension she left for me, luckily she was not on seat to pick.

As soon as i dropped the line i went to google world financial group and what i saw was so disappointing. i had placed them higher than IFG. for my mind i was like World financial group should be a more credible company than International financial group. When i saw they were into MLM, I just weak and prayed they never called me back. To think of the fact that she said she saw my resume online and was impressed. i was feeling like i don land world bank kinda job.

Another string of numbers keep caling my line. if i block dem go use another number next to the previous one to call me. naso i dey impromptu interview with one company and that wayo number called me. The interviewer quickly told me to off my phone. when i checked, i saw it was that series calling me. please who knows how to permanently block those numbers make dem no go pour sandsand for my garri.

True caller to the rescue!!
Download d app Android or apple
It will tell you the actual identity of the caller, you can also report it as spam and block it. You will never receive calls from the line again!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:15pm On Jan 09, 2018
Preparation is not easy at all.

I need to find out if it's true that to find accommodation in the GTA is very hard. Will 2 weeks be enough time to land a long term lease? How can this be mitigated because i have barely 2 weeks to get a lease when i land.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Morbolar: 1:37pm On Jan 09, 2018
Zibah14:
Congratulations. Very encouraging indeed.

Zibah14...my friend. We rejoice with freeradical and tap into this testimony ooo. Na God!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:01pm On Jan 09, 2018
Ballerz:

Sounds like You are in Missisauga / Brampton. More like Brampton. That McLaughlin rings a bell. Czaratwork cooks good afang soup. Make I post her number here?
Hahahaha. (Runs away).

You better run fast as i am coming for you. Na to ban you again if you share my number.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Virt: 2:33pm On Jan 09, 2018
Me, I nor come understand @maternal's issue with others praising their God. Abeg face your work of contributing to the thread and not criticizing others' freedom of expression and religion. Abi you be Anti-God? Mstcheeeeeeeeeew tongue

freeradical:

Senior if you understand where I am coming from and have worn my shoes you won't only be preaching but will be shouting out on rooftops.

See me wey them reject for Nigeria, roaming about without job for the past 20months, only to enter Canada and made management in the biggest brewing company in the world in less than 3months, and you say it's not God.

Forget that Alberta effect thing for once and see the peculiarity of my case. Am I the only immigrant that landed Alberta in the past 6months? I'm I the only one who attended job seminars? What are the odds of something like this happening? Heck, even the people where I work keep telling me they haven't witnessed such a thing. That I just broke a record! Who I sabi for Canada. I've never even been to Cotonou before I took the leap of faith to come here.

I'm not saying that I'm special in any way to others but when I attribute my success to God I know what I'm saying. If I don't speak the truth and take God's glory for myself then I'm not worthy of any of his favours. That's why I'm encouraging others to believe.

Work as though it all depends on your work, and pray as though it all depends on God. We will all have and share our testimonies

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 2:46pm On Jan 09, 2018
MrsI:
Good morning.

I have a question please...... I got my copr last year but had to get married afterwards. I informed cic and they sent a looooong list of requirements which we have sent. That was early December. However, I'm yet to get any response from them. And I can't even tell what stage I'm in. Has anyone been in this situation and what was the timeline before they responded? My medicals will be expiring in a couple of months and I'm expected to land before then.

Please I'd appreciate a response. Thank you
You should have gotten a response by now. Took a friend of mine 2 days for them to acknowledge and process his wife's documents after which he was sent another PPR. Just 2 days after he submitted all requirements. Though he's an Indian but his VO was Ottawa. In his own case he was yet to get his passport back with COPR before he got married so his passport was still with his local VO while he was sent another PPR so he sent his wife's passport. Call IRCC or send a mail to Ottawa asking for the status of your application.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsI: 4:41pm On Jan 09, 2018
AlexanderGreat:

You should have gotten a response by now. Took a friend of mine 2 days for them to acknowledge and process his wife's documents after which he was sent another PPR. Just 2 days after he submitted all requirements. Though he's an Indian but his VO was Ottawa. In his own case he was yet to get his passport back with COPR before he got married so his passport was still with his local VO while he was sent another PPR so he sent his wife's passport. Call IRCC or send a mail to Ottawa asking for the status of your application.

Did he return his passport and copr? Or he waited till he got the new PPR before he did?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 5:04pm On Jan 09, 2018
MrsI:

Did he return his passport and copr? Or he waited till he got the new PPR before he did?
He had not gotten his passport back with COPR before he got married so his passport was still with his local VO while he added his wife
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:35pm On Jan 09, 2018
mclarry:
Hi Blackbuddy, just a quick one. What address did you use while filling your declaration form onboard as you were moving into a hotel?

Thanks!

Hi, I simply put city which was Mississauga. Nobody asked for more.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2018
DatechMan:

To think that I also received such an offer outside a grocery shop on Hurontario, Mississauga 2 years ago. The IFG/WFG hustle game is strong here in Canny. Thanks for sharing, this brought back memories as a job hunter. I also posted my resume to indeed.ca and monster.ca and the next day, got a call to come in for an interview. Hopped on the bus over there only to hear the long story of how I should become a street trekker for WFG. I just smiled at the guy through his preaching and told him I'd get back to him. Politely sent him a text the next day saying thanks but no thanks. I just filed the experience away as 'adventures in hustle land'. Don't worry, you miracle is still on the way. It's only a matter of time before your preparation and efforts will meet with the right opportunity.

P.S. I drove by that McLaughin location on Saturday evening, perhaps we crossed each other? smiley

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 6:05pm On Jan 09, 2018
Ballerz:

Hahahaha. (Runs away).

You! They will soon evict u from NL

Contunu

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jesuba: 6:18pm On Jan 09, 2018
Oyamade:

True caller to the rescue!!
Download d app Android or apple
It will tell you the actual identity of the caller, you can also report it as spam and block it. You will never receive calls from the line again!

Only if the caller is also on True Caller. Just block the number on your fone.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:57pm On Jan 09, 2018
Congrats freeradical. I guess you may have some diageo experience with an associate of IGB designation right? You obviously proved yourself to be fit for the job. All d best!!

@canadian experience and canadian qualification. Let's look at it this way. If I am a hiring manager in Canada and I have a position to fill and I have shortlisted 3 candidates for the job. All qualified with work experience and who interview well. If I have one with a canadian qualification or experience in a similar role in a canadian company, another with a European or US qualification and foreign experience from Europe or the states in similar roles (bearing in mind that Europe and the US sometimes have reciprocal professional association agreeements for some professions) and then I have one with a Nigerian qualification and Nigerian experience. In order of preference who would I hire? I guess it's pretty clear that on a level playing field where all 3 candidates interview well, I may most likely make the Nigerian a 3rd option.

It's not a myth that Canadian experience and/or qualifications are necessary to get ahead. Most especially if you are in a regulated profession or if you find yourself experiencing difficulty getting a job or you do not want to have to deal with the possibility of job hunting for months without getting a job. So my advise is that you consider getting a recognised qualification or certification that is recognised in your industry in Canada on arrival or get a job sometimes in an entry level position that is relevant to your industry.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:10pm On Jan 09, 2018
vcole:
Congrats freeradical. I guess you may have some diageo experience with an associate of IGB designation right? You obviously proved yourself to be fit for the job. All d best!!

@canadian experience and canadian qualification. Let's look at it this way. If I am a hiring manager in Canada and I have a position to fill and I have shortlisted 3 candidates for the job. All qualified with work experience and who interview well. If I have one with a canadian qualification or experience in a similar role in a canadian company, another with a European or US qualification and foreign experience from Europe or the states in similar roles (bearing in mind that Europe and the US sometimes have reciprocal professional association agreeements for some professions) and then I have one with a Nigerian qualification and Nigerian experience. In order of preference who would I hire? I guess it's pretty clear that on a level playing field where all 3 candidates interview well, I may most likely make the Nigerian a 3rd option.

It's not a myth that Canadian experience and/or qualifications are necessary to get ahead. Most especially if you are in a regulated profession or if you find yourself experiencing difficulty getting a job or you do not want to have to deal with the possibility of job hunting for months without getting a job. So my advise is that you consider getting a recognised qualification or certification that is recognised in your industry in Canada on arrival or get a job sometimes in an entry level position that is relevant to your industry.

The nigerian will be the 3rd option based on biased and ignorance... that hiring manager knows that Nigerians live on trees. That is the only reason the nigerian will be the 3rd option. Why then wasn't the European be set as 3rd option?

Yes, it has been proven that the Canadian experience is a myth. Hiring managers who hadn't been outside of North America are more likely to require the Canadian experience. The mindset is that the third world is a jungle. Ignorance is the word, just ignorance

Even the Canadian human rights commission has been ruling the Canadian experience requirement as discrimination
It is illegal for an employer in Canada to require the Canadian experience as prerequisite for employment . That is discrimination under the Canadian human rights code
And anyone who had been required to provide the Canadian experience can lodge a complaint with the Canadian human rights commission or their provincial human rights commission

I would understand if a redneck if finding reasons to justify the Canadian experience requirement. But for a black person to do so ... hmmmm... this is just over me. I am always under the perception that we, black, always give a helping hand to our newly arriving brothers and sisters

From the Ontario Human Rights Commission website:

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/policy-removing-%E2%80%9Ccanadian-experience%E2%80%9D-barrier

Employers, representatives of employers and regulatory bodies should not:
•Require applicants to have prior work experience in Canada to be eligible for a particular job.
•Assume that an applicant will not succeed in a particular job because he or she lacks Canadian experience.
•Discount an applicant’s foreign work experience or assign it less weight than their Canadian work experience.
•Rely on subjective notions of “fit” when considering an applicant’s ability to succeed in the workplace.
• Include a requirement for prior Canadian work experience in the job posting or ad, or a requirement for qualifications that could only be obtained by working in Canada.
•Require applicants to disclose their country of origin or the location of their work experience on the job application form.
•Ask applicants questions that may directly or indirectly reveal where their work experience was obtained.
•Ask for local references only.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:30pm On Jan 09, 2018
TheCongo2:

The nigerian will be the 3rd option based on biased and ignorance... that hiring manager knows that Nigerians live on trees. That is the only reason the nigerian will be the 3rd option. Why then wasn't the European be set as 3rd option?

Yes, it has been proven that the Canadian experience is a myth. Hiring managers who hadn't been outside of North America are more likely to require the Canadian experience. The mindset is that the third world is a jungle. Ignorance is the word, just ignorance

Even the Canadian human rights commission has been ruling the Canadian experience requirement as discrimination
It is illegal for an employer in Canada to require the Canadian experience as prerequisite for employment . That is discrimination under the Canadian human rights code
And anyone who had been required to provide the Canadian experience can lodge a complaint with the Canadian human rights commission or their provincial human rights commission

I would understand if a redneck if finding reasons to justify the Canadian experience requirement. But for a black person to do so ... hmmmm... this is just over me. I am always under the perception that we, black, always give a helping hand to our newly arriving brothers and sisters

From the Ontario Human Rights Commission website:

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/policy-removing-%E2%80%9Ccanadian-experience%E2%80%9D-barrier

Employers, representatives of employers and regulatory bodies should not:
•Require applicants to have prior work experience in Canada to be eligible for a particular job.
•Assume that an applicant will not succeed in a particular job because he or she lacks Canadian experience.
•Discount an applicant’s foreign work experience or assign it less weight than their Canadian work experience.
•Rely on subjective notions of “fit” when considering an applicant’s ability to succeed in the workplace.
• Include a requirement for prior Canadian work experience in the job posting or ad, or a requirement for qualifications that could only be obtained by working in Canada.
•Require applicants to disclose their country of origin or the location of their work experience on the job application form.
•Ask applicants questions that may directly or indirectly reveal where their work experience was obtained.
•Ask for local references only.

Unfortunately, not many recruiter or hiring manager has travelled outside their province not to even mention travel outside the country.lol

In my opinion, Canadian experience is no myth. It is real. Most employers would not even give you a reason for rejection, so how do one contact any commission when there is no proof rejection via unrecognized experience?

Note: some experience are universal, so there would be less discrimination in such fields.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.