Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,795 members, 7,956,033 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:52 PM

Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... (818 Views)

I Want Your Views On This, Its Causing Argument / Can You Share A Toothbrush With Your Lover? Let's Have Your Views. / My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by vickyO(f): 2:54pm On Feb 08, 2017
I'm in my final year of study and a lot is going in my head about how the system the West has imposed on us has not yielded the desired outcome. Nigeria is acting like a local kid who became posh and now thinks of her local past as something never to return to.

Below are some questions I'd like us to discuss here:

1) Must we practice democracy?
2) Must our banking system be like theirs? E.g. First Bank.
3) Must we pattern our education like theirs?
4) Must we be identified by a national identity (why not cultural)?
5) Must we wear English clothings four times a week and ours only once?
6) Must we wear wigs in court?
7) Must we destroy our community friendly nature by building houses with high walls and gates?
8. Why can't we return to living as separate tribal entities?
9. Must our kids speak like the Queen?
10) Why can't the language of a region be the official language of that region?
11) Why do most people feel White people are more qualified for our prestigious jobs?
12) Why are we so white washed?

In summary, why aren't we curious enough to know what life would be like if the British hadn't disrupted our development?

Why can't our government restructure the country to support our African roots?

Why are we ashamed of our traditions and place the White man's traditions on a higher pedestal than ours?

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by subtlemee(f): 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2017
Must we use internet, laptops,i-pads,tablets and phones?

Must we become members on nairaland to read and comment on news?

The question has answered itself

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by Acidosis(m): 3:06pm On Feb 08, 2017
Must you type all these with an iPad? Why not slate, charcoal or abacus?

Nigeria is a dumping site, anything from a foreign land, including Libya, is welcomed here.

On a seriously note, you've raised serious and noteworthy issues, especially number 5. If all indigenous firms decide to reverse that singular trend, we just might begin to witness steady improvements in other sectors.

I personally would ban any form of English attire if I own a firm. Everyone must come to work with casuals and pure African native wears. No suit and sophisticated suicide instruments, a.k.a Tie.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by tintingz(m): 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2017
Must we use cars, internet, airplane, education? undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by vickyO(f): 3:11pm On Feb 08, 2017
@Acidosis, tintingz and subtlemee
I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate their innovations but what happens to ours?

I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate their culture but what happens to ours?

The basis of my pondering is on how we value anything white above everything black and African.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by Acidosis(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
vickyO:
@Acidosis, tintingz and subtlemee
I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate their innovations but what happens to ours?

I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate their culture but what happens to ours?

The basis of my pondering is on how we value anything white above everything black and African.

You're right... I like your thread

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
Lol so happy someone is thinking... Don't stop asking these questions until ten, hundred thousands and millions of us start asking the same questions.

And that would be the beginning of our liberation indeed.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
subtlemee:

Just the same lame defence most blacks keep coming up with.

Someone wants to take off your chains and then you ask her to take of your skin too.

Pity.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by AmuEwu: 4:48pm On Feb 08, 2017
The way I see it, we might as well leave everything we do now.
Maybe Nigeria would be better without the internet.

Maybe by just wearing traditional clothes, our national problems would be automatically solved.

I can bet if we go back to living in unfenced houses, our society would become safer

Yes, if we start a monarchical form of government at the center of Nigeria, everything would be perfect.

Don't you all agree with me grin
Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by mvem(m): 5:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
subtlemee:

...dont think so.he asked about comforming to set standards that hv not helped our development.While you talk abt adapting/acceptance of trends that promote development...one is left d oda right.You must not be a caveman to develop what works better for you...u get

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by Timbuktuo: 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2017
Good thread and questions, OP. However, I would say these practices you've mentioned aren't necessary the problem, their none reasoned implementation is.

On the surface, none of these things is bad, the problem is we have failed to grasp the spirit and principle behind them. We've copied without knowing why the things we copy exist in the first place, hence, abusing them is inevitable. And because we have failed to truly appreciate the spirit behind these things, our practise of them is subpar, and development eludes us.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by Timbuktuo: 6:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
Stupedinluv:
Just the same lame defence most blacks keep coming up with.

Someone wants to take off your chains and then you ask her to take of your skin too.

Pity.

Most people don't reason, you can't blame them. The education system in Nigeria generally favours the best crammer, that's why so many fail ICAN, because they aren't used to adapting knowledge to real life experiences.

I can bet you these people are the type that give testimony in church for securing a visa to visit Europe, because that's the end all and be all of life. Eating and drinking and instagram posting. No single thought to adding value or making positive change.

Logic needs to become a thing in Nigerian schools from primary level.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Not Too White Washed? Your Views... by yedidiah(m): 9:55pm On Feb 08, 2017
We mustn't. Infact, there is need to proof and regulate how you use ideas or things that wasn't developed by you lest you abuse it for lack of proper understanding.

On an individual basis, we can start re-accessing and re-evaluating our choices: finding a middle ground to balance the knowledge that are local to us, and those that are in imported.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lol… See The Note This Nigerian Little Girl Dropped For Her Father / Diabetwatch Vs. Diabetes. Natural, Cheapest And Safe Way To Fight DIABETES / Fourteen Stupid Things A Wife Can Do To Mess Up Her Marriage!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.