Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,671 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant (4050 Views)

Who Knows The Name Of This Plant (PICTURES) / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / Please What Is The Name Of This Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by domack99(m): 5:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hi all,

Am thinking of ways of covering my farm land with perimeter fence. Thinking of living fencing.

Anyone with idea of how I can get the seed of the plant with pictures below or any other idea.

People have also suggested
1. Moringa tree
2. Jatropha tree

Anyone with experience with living fence, I don't have issue with Fulani herdsmen, just want to keep intruders that usually roam into the farm and their local animals away.

Please advise

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3684009_010_jpeg604485718b5fbe772eaca437ead063f0

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3684011_030_jpeg1bd2fedd82a169857235855efb495ab6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3684019_041_jpeg2c197446d52b7903a14b2c306a5f7ab4

What of this plant that is usually use as garden flower, what do you think

Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by eddyline(m): 2:53am On Feb 09, 2017
this is riyom in plateau state. this cactus i s not usually propagated by seed but rather through stem cuttings. if you know someone in plateau state, you can ask him to send it along. jathropha and moringa won't make an adequate fence to keep intruders off as effective as this plant would.

1 Like

Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by domack99(m): 6:11am On Feb 09, 2017
eddyline:
this is riyom in plateau state. this cactus i s not usually propagated by seed but rather through stem cuttings. if you know someone in plateau state, you can ask him to send it along. jathropha and moringa won't make an adequate fence to keep intruders off as effective as this plant would.

Thanks,
I actually don't plan to use the plant alone but add barb wire horizontally across the plant. I believe Jathropha and Moringa are deep rooted but don't know about this Cactus plant if they can easily be fell off.
Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by eddyline(m): 1:34pm On Feb 09, 2017
domack99:

Thanks,
I actually don't plan to use the plant alone but add barb wire horizontally across the plant. I believe Jathropha and Moringa are deep rooted but don't know about this Cactus plant if they can easily be fell off.

I think they are deeply rooted. plus they have the advantage of also having thorns all over them and when cut, they have this milky latex that can be very irritating when it comes in contact with the skin
the advantage moringa and jathropha would give you is that you can harvest and sell their produce.
Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by domack99(m): 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
eddyline:

I think they are deeply rooted. plus they have the advantage of also having thorns all over them and when cut, they have this milky latex that can be very irritating when it comes in contact with the skin
the advantage moringa and jathropha would give you is that you can harvest and sell their produce.

Thanks, I wish I have a contact in plateau for the cactus plant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by eddyline(m): 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2017
domack99:

Thanks, I wish I have a contact in plateau for the cactus plant
Eya, sorry bro, am no longer in plateau, would have sent you some
Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by Pavore9: 8:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
Cactus itself is an economic plant as juice, jam and wine are made from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSExUU31QA

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by HeGeMon(m): 11:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
That cactus is the traditional fence for the Berom people of plateau state, they are experts in Cactus cultivation, it can be widely seen all around their vilages. The cactus is one integral part of their culture

1 Like

Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by domack99(m): 6:09am On Feb 10, 2017
HeGeMon:
That cactus is the traditional fence for the Berom people of plateau state, they are experts in Cactus cultivation, it can be widely seen all around their vilages. The cactus is one integral part of their culture

Do you know if it can survive in the south western part of Nigeria? seems Plateau is a cold temperate region
Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by HeGeMon(m): 8:18am On Feb 10, 2017
Actually one peculiar nature of this plant is it resilience,, here it grows even on rocks & evrytn here & survives all weather conditions, unless I may not know how it will cope in extreme heat conditions, but overall, I tink it can survive
domack99:

Do you know if it can survive in the south western part of Nigeria? seems Plateau is a cold temperate region
Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by domack99(m): 1:36pm On Feb 10, 2017
HeGeMon:
Actually one peculiar nature of this plant is it resilience,, here it grows even on rocks & evrytn here & survives all weather conditions, unless I may not know how it will cope in extreme heat conditions, but overall, I tink it can survive

Seems you are based in Plateau state or you have a link there
Re: Living Fence - I Need The Seed Of This Plant by lorhema(f): 1:56pm On Mar 10, 2017
Cactus is usually found in arid areas. Not bothered by heat at all. We don't water the plants by our gate and they are doing fine. They need a well drained soil. When the rain comes they'll drink all they need. Plateau temperatures are from 10 to 39*C and they thrive so I expect they'll do well in the SW. Check at gardens near you to get some.

(1) (Reply)

A Tree That Produces 40 Different Types Of Fruit / How To Wean More Piglets / Super Gro For Livestock Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.