Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

A Wake Up Call Nigerians - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Wake Up Call Nigerians (429 Views)

On Nairaland Writers And Their Clients: A Wake Up Call. / c / A Short Story: Saturday Wake Up Call. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Wake Up Call Nigerians by Akeelahtunez(m): 6:29am On Feb 09, 2017
Kuti Oluwatobiloba
Nigeria,Africa's most populous nation and pulsating power house as we all know;has been filled with a bit of unnecessary apocalyptic trepidation and most importantly something i call "social media decadence"relating to the state of the economy ever since former General Muhammadu Buhari took over the mantle of leadership as the president of Nigeria.
However,a gargantuan pity it is that our teenagers,youths,adults
like Nigerians in general,are considered to be ignoble,castigators and rumor mongers. I have tinkered a bit about this, and i believe a lot of good things can be done through the social media. Lots of great messages can be passed through the social media. It is only that i observe most people also use it for not so good things.
It is evident in our nation today,that the social media has become a place for ridicule and derision,a place to fabricate silly messages,disseminate rumors and also for caricatural presentation. Everyday,Nigerians leverage the power of the social media to deride and revile the president. Some say it's just a mere satire, but i do not see this barbaric manner as a "mere satire" anymore. And the worst thing is that it has become a norm and no one sees anything wrong with it. If you think otherwise,they begin to think you are not normal. I was more aghast when i learnt that the social media was last week awash with rumors on the President's state of health,creating the impression that the president is dead. This really hit me,what insolence!. The truth is; it is only in this part of the world that someone will wake up in the morning and pray for the death of the president,and feel happy about it for no good reason. I wonder what it is really wrong with us,the question is;what has the president done to deserve such?,how will a fellow Nigerian feel if someone did that to his/her father?. And it goes on and on like that,so many unanswerable questions. Also,on the issue of fighting against corruption; the only thing some could say was: "The president should bring back our corruption". I mean,what a meaningless and unconventional thing to say. Surprisingly,some people do this just to remain relevant on social media. I guess the problem is we do not think anymore. But note this; before you speak or write,let your words pass through three gates:"is it true","is it kind",and "is it necessary". Probably this will help a few Nigerians in reasoning.
Another thing i find really amusing is when we Nigerians play the blame game and point fingers at President Buhari,saying he is the source of Nigeria's failures. I know he is not a perfect man,but because the economy is not in its best shape right now does not make him a participant in the orchestration of our problems and failures. I think,and i know some will agree with me and many will definitely not. "Tobi is being too sentimal" they may say. But this is the plain truth,we keep pointing fingers,this is what we are doing. And no one is willing to listen or accept that fact.
Considering the state of our economy at the time President Buhari took over the mantle of leadership, it was evident that there was no reasonable amount of money in the treasury to start with. The president came to meet an economy that was already suffering recession,occasioned by the actions and inactions of previous administrations. What miracle can anyone perform in such a circumstance. And so,he was faced with challenges which affected his will to start fulfilling his promises and make things happen as expected.
Therefore,if anyone is of the believe that close to two years,nothing significant has been achieved by this administration; then i guess such person needs to reason well and look inwards. However,some Nigerians also glamorize regret as if regret is a virtue. They complain that they regret voting Buhari as president. "Is this the change we voted for?" they ask. If you really voted "change" what did you have in mind?, a magical and miraculous performance?.
Re: A Wake Up Call Nigerians by Akeelahtunez(m): 6:31am On Feb 09, 2017
Lasting change comes at a high cost and discomfort. It's just like when you attempt to change your life,weight,attitude and so on. Does it come cheap or easy?, that is the point here. Genuine change at any level is tough and cruel,Nigeria will not be an exception.
Nevertheless,i understand our clamouring and sad complaining voices. I can feel our pains and hardship,it's obvious everything seems difficult,goods are more expensive and so many more. I know these things,but let us understand that the president is trying too,change is a process and the pains we are experiencing today
are instruments of change. But we Nigerians are not patient. It is just so unfortunate that most Nigerians lack basic understanding.
Apparently,the problem of Nigeria is in the hands of Nigerians living in Nigeria. Our failures and problems did not start today,it did not just begin when Buhari became president. The failures we are witnessing today was planted a long time ago,ever since the birth of Nigeria. Nigeria was just so unfortunate to have had the first set of elites she had. We all want things to get better but we are not supportive, nobody is thinking of what is getting better and how things can get more better. Instead we keep on pointing fingers,cursing and criticizing. In truth,we Nigerians are doing more harm than good to our nation.
Lerone Bennett.Jnr once said that: "A nation is an amalgam of critical decisions made at crucial forks in the road. A nation is a choice. It chooses itself at fateful forks in the road by turning left or right,by giving up something or taking something-and in the giving up and taking,in the deciding and not deciding,the nation becomes. And even afterwards,the people and the nation are defined by the fork,and the decision that was made there,as well as the decision that was not made engraves itself into things,into institutions,nerves,muscles,tendons,and the first decision requires a second decision and the second decision requires a third,and it goes on and on until one day the people wake up and discover that they are corrupt and divided,that they built war and and hate into the very air they breathe".
This is a clarion call for us all,it is time for us to wake up and do away with our shallow mentality and old habits. This is the time for us to support our nation Nigeria. If Nigeria is going to get any better,it depends on we Nigerians and not just the president. It is time for us to be receptive. Begin to hold yourself accountable for this country today.
"Nigeria I Hail Thee!"
-Kuti Oluwatobi.

(1) (Reply)

Writing About Nigerian Pidgin English In English Language And Literature. / People Of The Middle / Ugly Without

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.