Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Understand Your Brake System - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Understand Your Brake System (8280 Views)

5 Ways To Know Your Brake Pads Are Due For Change / Some Facts You Need To Know About Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) / BRAKE SYSTEM CARE 101: Caring For Your Brake System Components & Fluids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understand Your Brake System by Autofreeman: 11:18am On Feb 09, 2017
What is It?

Your car’s brake system is one of its most critical safety systems and as such, it is imperative to keep it maintained and functioning properly. Doing so helps ensure safe vehicle control and operation under a wide variety of conditions. If you suspect any problems or have any concerns, you should have it inspected as soon as possible.

Autofreeman.com.ng

What Does it Do?

As the brakes are a very complicated system, the average car owner may not be familiar with how they work. You may have heard terms thrown around, “caliper”, “drum brakes”, “hydraulic system”, but not understood how they work together from pushing the brake pedal to stopping the car. A very basic explanation is as follows to help you gain a little insight about the brakes in your vehicle:

It all starts when you push the brake pedal. That force generates hydraulic pressure in the master cylinder. The master cylinder uses brake fluid to transfer pressure through the hydraulic lines and hoses to the calipers and/or wheel cylinders (one at each wheel).

The calipers and wheel cylinders use that pressure to squeeze the brake pads and/or shoes against rotors and/or drums to stop your car.

Disc Brakes or Drum Brakes?
Now, there are different types of brakes: drum and disc. Disc brakes are made up of rotors, pads and calipers, among other, smaller parts. The rotor is a metal disc that rotates with the wheels. The stationary mounted caliper holds a pad on each side of the rotor and slides to force the pads against the rotor when pressure is applied.

Drum brakes are made up of shoes (which function as the pads in a disc brake system) and are enclosed in a drum (which functions as the rotor in a disc brake system). The shoes push against the drum when pressure is applied. The resulting friction, from the pads against the rotor or the shoes against the drum, slows the vehicle and is relative to the amount of force applied to the brake pedal.

Typical Wear and Tear

Brakes are a normal wear item for any car and are eventually going to need replacement. Some vehicles have indicators to help alert you when new pads are needed; however, it is recommended that as a car owner you are proactive about knowing the condition of your brakes. check the brake pad wear each time you take the wheels off your car (most commonly, during the tire rotation). also perform a “basic brake inspection” if you have particular concerns or want to know the life remaining on your brakes. Avoid letting your brakes get too worn (i.e. metal to metal), as that can mean a more expensive rotor or drum replacement and a potential safety issue.

Several factors that affect brake wear include:

-Driving Habits
-Operating conditions (such as towing often, living by the coast for example our friends on the island which has the potential for a lot of rust, -mostly in-town driving, etc.)
-Vehicle type
-The quality of brake lining/ pad material.

Symptoms
If you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms or have any other particular concerns in regards to your brakes, contact a technician for help:

- Car pulls to one side during braking
- Brake pedal pulsates when you apply the brakes
- Brake pedal feels “mushy”
- Noise when you step on the brake pedal
- Repeatedly need to add brake fluid to the master cylinder
- Brake and/or ABS warning light

source:carycarcare.com

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understand Your Brake System by talk2cj08(m): 8:40am On Feb 10, 2017
My brake makes lots if noise when i pedal it, what could be the cause

1 Like

Re: Understand Your Brake System by aristosoft(m): 9:40am On Feb 10, 2017
My gear got stucked. After fixing it, my car doesn't respond fast whenever I press the pedal. It's not raising. It never goes beyond 3. What are the possibilities?
Re: Understand Your Brake System by Autofreeman: 1:35pm On Feb 10, 2017
it can be an array of things, we cannot be sure unless you have your technician look at it, however quality of brake pad, Quantity of pad/ lining left and a bad brake disc/drum are top on the list.

talk2cj08:
Re: Understand Your Brake System by Autofreeman: 1:38pm On Feb 10, 2017
first off, what is the make, model , and year of your vehicle..?

aristosoft:
My gear got stucked. After fixing it, my car doesn't respond fast whenever I press the pedal. It's not raising. It never goes beyond 3. What are the possibilities?
Re: Understand Your Brake System by aristosoft(m): 1:43pm On Feb 10, 2017
Autofreeman:

Honda Accord 2006 Discussion Continue
Re: Understand Your Brake System by aristosoft(m): 1:45pm On Feb 10, 2017
Autofreeman:

Honda Accord 2006 ( Discussion Continue)
Re: Understand Your Brake System by Autofreeman: 2:54pm On Feb 10, 2017
hello, the first thing is to have the vehicle scanned , so one can have an idea where to start in the process of diagnosis/ repair

aristosoft:

Honda Accord 2006 ( Discussion Continue)
Re: Understand Your Brake System by talk2archy: 7:27am On Feb 11, 2017
r
Re: Understand Your Brake System by sakalisis(m): 7:29am On Feb 11, 2017
Okay
Re: Understand Your Brake System by simplemach(m): 7:31am On Feb 11, 2017
Don't forget that detergent and water serves as hydraulic.
Re: Understand Your Brake System by Lasskeey: 7:32am On Feb 11, 2017
grin

Re: Understand Your Brake System by Zico5(m): 7:34am On Feb 11, 2017
Ok
Re: Understand Your Brake System by lonelydora: 7:35am On Feb 11, 2017
aristosoft:

Which transmission oil are you currently using?
Re: Understand Your Brake System by lonelydora: 7:37am On Feb 11, 2017
simplemach:
Don't forget that detergent and water serves as hydraulic.

Only on Peugeot 404 and pickup of those days
Re: Understand Your Brake System by simplemach(m): 7:39am On Feb 11, 2017
lonelydora:

Only on Peugeot 404 and pickup of those days
Lols

1 Like

Re: Understand Your Brake System by LoveJesus87(m): 7:49am On Feb 11, 2017
Ok...

Meanwhile

Re: Understand Your Brake System by nas00(m): 8:00am On Feb 11, 2017
OP: Great thread.

The brake is the most important system of ANY car.

There is absolutely no point moving a car that cannot be brought to a halt, or predictably so. That's disaster.

Therefore, like my teacher would say:

"No matter how expensive a car is, the car is only as good as its brakes"

Everyone should have this at the back of their minds.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Understand Your Brake System by OCTAVO: 8:27am On Feb 11, 2017
Nice
Re: Understand Your Brake System by ONITOYOSI(m): 8:37am On Feb 11, 2017
[color=#000099][/color]Very educative
Re: Understand Your Brake System by JERRYMAG4(m): 10:04am On Feb 11, 2017
Ok

Re: Understand Your Brake System by Iolo(m): 12:12pm On Feb 11, 2017
talk2cj08:

When last did you change your brake pads? They are likely worn out.
Re: Understand Your Brake System by givemedatin: 12:43pm On Feb 11, 2017
Autofreeman:
What is It?

Your car’s brake system is one of its most critical safety systems and as such, it is imperative to keep it maintained and functioning properly. Doing so helps ensure safe vehicle control and operation under a wide variety of conditions. If you suspect any problems or have any concerns, you should have it inspected as soon as possible.

Autofreeman.com.ng

What Does it Do?

As the brakes are a very complicated system, the average car owner may not be familiar with how they work. You may have heard terms thrown around, “caliper”, “drum brakes”, “hydraulic system”, but not understood how they work together from pushing the brake pedal to stopping the car. A very basic explanation is as follows to help you gain a little insight about the brakes in your vehicle:

It all starts when you push the brake pedal. That force generates hydraulic pressure in the master cylinder. The master cylinder uses brake fluid to transfer pressure through the hydraulic lines and hoses to the calipers and/or wheel cylinders (one at each wheel).

The calipers and wheel cylinders use that pressure to squeeze the brake pads and/or shoes against rotors and/or drums to stop your car.

Now, there are different types of brakes: drum and disc. Disc brakes are made up of rotors, pads and calipers, among other, smaller parts. The rotor is a metal disc that rotates with the wheels. The stationary mounted caliper holds a pad on each side of the rotor and slides to force the pads against the rotor when pressure is applied.

Drum brakes are made up of shoes (which function as the pads in a disc brake system) and are enclosed in a drum (which functions as the rotor in a disc brake system). The shoes push against the drum when pressure is applied. The resulting friction, from the pads against the rotor or the shoes against the drum, slows the vehicle and is relative to the amount of force applied to the brake pedal.

Typical Wear and Tear

Brakes are a normal wear item for any car and are eventually going to need replacement. Some vehicles have indicators to help alert you when new pads are needed; however, it is recommended that as a car owner you are proactive about knowing the condition of your brakes. check the brake pad wear each time you take the wheels off your car (most commonly, during the tire rotation). also perform a “basic brake inspection” if you have particular concerns or want to know the life remaining on your brakes. Avoid letting your brakes get too worn (i.e. metal to metal), as that can mean a more expensive rotor or drum replacement and a potential safety issue.

Several factors that affect brake wear include:

-Driving Habits
-Operating conditions (such as towing often, living by the coast for example our friends on the island which has the potential for a lot of rust, -mostly in-town driving, etc.)
-Vehicle type
-The quality of brake lining/ pad material.

Symptoms
If you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms or have any other particular concerns in regards to your brakes, contact a technician for help:

- Car pulls to one side during braking
- Brake pedal pulsates when you apply the brakes
- Brake pedal feels “mushy”
- Noise when you step on the brake pedal
- Repeatedly need to add brake fluid to the master cylinder
- Brake and/or ABS warning light

1 Like

Re: Understand Your Brake System by abiolag(m): 4:54pm On Feb 11, 2017
Op great job bro
Re: Understand Your Brake System by kelechiodo(m): 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2017
Good article.
Re: Understand Your Brake System by nickxtra(m): 2:53pm On Feb 12, 2017
Autofreeman:
What is It?

Autofreeman.com.ng

What Does it Do?

How do i get a good break pad to buy for my Nisaan Primera? Am in Abuja
Re: Understand Your Brake System by aristosoft(m): 1:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
lonelydora:

Which transmission oil are you currently using?

Thanks. I am about changing transmission oil. Which model do you recommend? Honda Accord 2006 Automatic.
Also, sometimes all the Gear position lights go off. Sometimes, P and D comes on when i start the car but the D later goes off.

Please, what could be the problem

1 Like

Re: Understand Your Brake System by Autofreeman: 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
ATF- DW for Honda

aristosoft:

Thanks. I am about changing transmission oil. Which model do you recommend? Honda Accord 2006 Automatic.
Also, sometimes all the Gear position lights go off. Sometimes, P and D comes on when i start the car but the D later goes off.

1 Like

Re: Understand Your Brake System by lonelydora: 8:12pm On Mar 09, 2017
aristosoft:

Your transmission oil is due for a change. Please Please and Please, buy Genuine Honda ATF DW1. Do not pour any Abro into that transmission no matter what. Remember we now have Chinese copy of the DW1 oil. Ask the seller to give you the original. You can contact luvinhubby on Nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Lexus RX350 P0037 Code / How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ? / Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.