Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,308 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities (5425 Views)

Top 20 Best Courses In Nigeria Universities / 10 Best Courses To Study In Nigeria Today / 7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 13, 2017
Before I start, let me quickly point out...

1. All things being equal, all courses are not equal

2. What you like may not be the thing that can fetch you the money you want

3. It is "suicidal" going into a field you don't like

4. I stand to be corrected smiley

More on these (below).

Okay, having cleared the ground for safe landing...

Every now and then I stumble into arguments and counterarguments about which college degree is the BEST. This is not rampant only among students, but oftentimes you hear professors boasting of their field being the best... Well, who go say him mama soup no sweet?

Because of this "Field battles" majority of our younger ones, especially those in Secondary Schools, are in great confusion (or MISDIRECTION) about making an important decision of their life - choosing a future career, or more correctly, a degree program.

Many don't really have the right information.... Majority of 'em wants to read one course or the other because that is what "every other person" wants to read.

There is no point beating about the bush.... To hit the nail on the head: almost every JAMBite wants to read Medicine, Pharmacy, Law, and let me also add Engineering, Economics and Computer Science.

But wait! O yee JAMBite! why do you want to read Law? Are you really passionate about it? Why Petroleum Engineering? Is your motivation the number of Oil & Gas industries in Nigeria? Why medicine? Are you comfortable with saving lives and taking care of the sick? Why Economics? Are you good with numbers? Is it that you want to be called an engineer or that you are good with Math, Physics and Technical analysis?

In other words, what do you like? This is the MOST Important thing you have consider before filling in your details in that JAMB form.

Back to things I started with....
Yes, it is best to go for what you like.... However, there is one thing that is also true: in terms of career opportunities, all fields of studies are simply not equal.

Some fields have more, or much more opportunities than others in terms of jobs or being self-employed. Tech/ICT/Engr, Medical and Business courses are not bad.

Therefore, unless you have some plans, you should also consider checking career outlook of the course you want to read....

Sometimes you can use one stone to kill two birds:

I used to be a Physics freak... So much so that during my JAMB application, I chose Physics & Industrial Physics (UniZik).

But, one day I did some "calculations" about Nigeria... And I was like is engineering not "application of Physics, mathematics, ..." to solve real life problems? Bam! I rushed to cyber café and changed it to Mechanical Engineering, UNN.

5 years later.... I can say that mechanical engineering is simply the BEST course anyone can read... Literally. grin

Have anything to add or say? Drop your thoughts here...

Thanks
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 13, 2017
the best course to study in Nigeria right now is Snitchography when you graduate you'll be having 2-5% of looted funds if you decide to work as a whistleblower

4 Likes

Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Nobody: 3:18am On Feb 14, 2017
angry The caption for this thread ehn

meanwhile,
Mech engine is a gud course tho. That shouldn't make it a do or die affair as regards choosing it.

In life, what you like might not be what you want and what you want might not be what you need as well. Divine guidance is key.

You could be struggling to get civil engineering while you are destined for food science and tech. What a diversion from your path of glory?!!
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by paulsir: 6:39am On Feb 14, 2017
are you related to constituted authority? #whatcourseareyoudoing

1 Like

Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 14, 2017
PHARMACY!!!

1 Like

Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by babyfaceafrica: 7:36am On Feb 14, 2017
Doesn't matter..just have connection and God grace.....even if you study dancing and running ,you will get job.....leave story
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by SonOfEl(m): 11:21am On Feb 14, 2017
Education courses and medicine are the safest courses

Engineering courses the most lucrative courses in Nigeria.
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Raeheemwayne: 11:55am On Feb 14, 2017
Economics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by hardbody: 1:16pm On Feb 14, 2017
There is no good, bad or exceptional course in Nigeria abeg.

GEJ studied Zoology...........................................................Retired abi Former Head of State
PMB did not finish Secondary School.....................................Present Head of State (In diaspora)
Most Bank MDs studied sciences...........................................Some are still Managing and Directing, others have retired into affluence
The guy building for me is called 'Engineer'.............................He is holding down contracts and scamming us to make money

Do what makes you happy and be at the right place and at the right time, you will make headlines

Then of course there is the luck and God factor.

I am doing well in my chosen field, some are ahead of me, while others are struggling behind, time and occurrence befalls us all, because as they say, the race is not for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong and mighty.

Meanwhile courses are studied not read

1 Like

Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by segzy17: 1:26pm On Feb 14, 2017
4lo ur heart but used ur head.....i think dis is wot matter in nig of nowadays.
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by peacesamuel94(m): 1:26pm On Feb 14, 2017
The best course to study in Nigeria right now is ANATOMY, thanks.
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Jeel: 2:05pm On Feb 14, 2017
Nothing like course you read again o. Person weh read Arabic sef de work for Bank now
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Sammez94: 3:09pm On Feb 14, 2017
Op
Pls I get 1 question don't be annoyed pls
Wat av u accomplished with mechanical engineering?
because I'm also a mechanical engineering student at lautech
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by judey1992(m): 4:30pm On Feb 14, 2017
i think management and pure medical courses are the most lucrative in nigeria. other courses aside these suffer because there are fewer manufacturing industries in nigeria.

ICT also thrives sha, when it comes to engineering the guys with technical know how are the most employed when compared to graduates.

my thoughts tho
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by joecarson647: 4:49pm On Feb 14, 2017
judey1992:
i think management and pure medical courses are the most lucrative in nigeria. other courses aside these suffer because there are fewer manufacturing industries in nigeria.

ICT also thrives sha, when it comes to engineering the guys with technical know how are the most employed when compared to graduates.

my thoughts tho

by pure medical courses, you mean?
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by judey1992(m): 5:10pm On Feb 14, 2017
joecarson647:

by pure medical courses, you mean?
those that are licensed to practice in here.
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Chukwuka16: 7:19pm On Feb 14, 2017
While I like the logic being posited it is important to note that the times are changing. Really it is no longer about the course of study but possession of relevant skills. With the hype surrounding sustainability and artificial intelligence and big data it becomes obvious that mathematics and analytics based courses would definitely carry the day. However it doesn't obviate the need for other courses rather it simply means that everyone has to up his/her game and gather skills that will make you relevant in your chosen field as the world advances. It will shock the house to know that a credit pass in mathematics is now needed to proceed for a masters in fine arts in Uniben.
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 14, 2017
Really nice... cool

Chukwuka16:
While I like the logic being posited it is important to note that the times are changing. Really it is no longer about the course of study but possession of relevant skills. With the hype surrounding sustainability and artificial intelligence and big data it becomes obvious that mathematics and analytics based courses would definitely carry the day. However it doesn't obviate the need for other courses rather it simply means that everyone has to up his/her game and gather skills that will make you relevant in your chosen field as the world advances. It will shock the house to know that a credit pass in mathematics is now needed to proceed for a masters in fine arts in Uniben.
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 14, 2017
Going to school is not equivalent to being educated... Get some education friend.

Oh, to answer your question: I built a spacecraft. I'm completing the prototype of my Sun explorer rocket.

Sammez94:
Op
Pls I get 1 question don't be annoyed pls
Wat av u accomplished with mechanical engineering?
because I'm also a mechanical engineering student at lautech
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by YUSUPH1986(m): 9:32pm On Feb 14, 2017
paulsir:
are you related to constituted authority? #whatcourseareyoudoing
haba u dey shame my governor... In Gov. Ajumobi's voice# pe b-o-y yen wa#

1 Like

Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by adeola3264: 9:58pm On Feb 14, 2017
is chemical engineering lucrative
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by Sammez94: 10:04pm On Feb 14, 2017
ZestAri:
Going to school is not equivalent to being educated... Get some education friend.

Oh, to answer your question: I built a spacecraft. I'm completing the prototype of my Sun explorer rocket.

Op can you be my mentor pls
If yes give me yr email address
Thanks in anticipation
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by joecarson647: 11:00am On Feb 15, 2017
judey1992:
those that are licensed to practice in here.

I meant what courses were you referring to?

Are there also impure ones
Re: BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities by judey1992(m): 1:22pm On Feb 15, 2017
joecarson647:

I meant what courses were you referring to?

Are there also impure ones
Courses like Medicine and surgery, Dentistry, medical laboratory et al, which could be licensed to practice in nigeria. not courses like Biochemistry, microbiology which are medicine related but are rarely practised.

though i am a proud graduate of Biochemistry from MOUAU

(1) (Reply)

DSS Ranks And Salary 2023: Check It Out Now / Jamb Has Finally Destroyed My Life. Now completed / God Of Private School Teachers Have Public Mercy On Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.