Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Nigerian Society Has Not Treated Us Well –zebrudaya - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Society Has Not Treated Us Well –zebrudaya (431 Views)

'Ovularia Is Not Dead' - Chika Okpala 'Zebrudaya' Says / What Is The Biggest Lie Society Has Taught You To Believe? / Zebrudaya Visits Tunde Alabi In The Hospital (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Society Has Not Treated Us Well –zebrudaya by okrote4real: 2:41pm On Feb 14, 2017
Chief Chika Okpala, aka, Chief Zebrudaya Okoroigwe Nwogbo alias 4:30, is one of Nigeria’s greatest comedians and actor who Nigerians would never forget his role in the rested television drama series – New Masquerade – easily. In this exclusive interview with ANTHONY ADA ABRAHAM,in Abuja, he speaks on the movie industry and why government should remember Nigerian heroes in the entertainment industry.

You are a veteran when it comes to the movie industry, what’s your take on the younger generation coming after you…are they really portraying the industry in a good light?

You know just like we did during our time in our own days trying to catch up with the industry, I have all the passion and love for them, so also I look up to the ones who are taking over from us because whether we like it or not, we have to hand over. In the industry you have to hand over, not like in politics that no one wants to hand over (laugh) when you can’t move your legs any longer or even your voice becomes shaky, that’s not how it goes in the industry, (laughing) we have to hand over early to allow the younger ones come up. I see them as doing something encouraging and I also see them as people who want to preserve our cultural heritage. Personally I cherish them and would urge them to come closer to tap from the huge experience I have in the industry. So that if there’s something positive I can advise and also show them how they could excel in their profession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-BmY92QTUs

Looking at the people from your generation, you look more action prone and also you have continued to set that pace, how do you feel having the people around you?

It’s all gratitude to God. It is his doing that I’m looking younger and strong. I give him all the glory. I am very ever ready to take my roles where ever I am. And also ready to take the status of an elder in the industry. It is only few people that don’t want to get old; I started acting at the age of 18. When I got to the level I am I cherished it slot. So when I look at myself today, I’m happy for every day. I love the roles I am always given to play in movies and I urge the younger generation that whatever role you are given to play, producers and directors must have seen something in you to portray the character you are given if it is to educate the public, bring it out , don’t hide it.

Looking at when you started off in the industry and now, there have been a lot of changes; do you see these changes as positive?

During our time, there were lots of competitions before one could get the needed recognitions, but today the people in the industry feel recognized even before they get a role in a movie (laughing). There is no more competition. I remember during the days ‘Village Headmaster’ competed with ‘New Masquerade’, ‘Samanja’ , ‘Hotel De Jordan’ and others thinking who would come out top this week. Whose acting, whose character whose script would be the best. But these days, there is no film or drama soaps to look up to. We said we have gone to Nollywood and we now produce private films and all that. Unfortunately the script gets to the hands of marketers who turn themselves as producers and directors. They don’t know the rudiments of producing a movie or even having the expertise of theater etc. All they want is to tell a little story between a man and his wife and go, just to make money. Instead of them allowing the producer to do his work, they begin to choose for him who will appear, not minding the professional level of the person. They want to use known faces so that they can continue making millions. They don’t give opportunities to younger ones who are very talented. That is why you keep on seeing almost same movies with same faces making it look monotonous films. Actually, during our time, you will not be allowed to appear in ‘Village Headmaster’ when you are on ‘Samanja’ unless you are a special guest star. You will not see me on ‘Village Headmaster’ unless as a guest star and they will say that a guest from ‘New Masquerade”, Chief Zebrudaya is a guest star of ‘Village Headmaster’. Aluwe, Bellow, Jide Kosoko featureed as guests stars on the ‘New masquerade’. I also went to them and was featured also. We don’t hold grudges among ourselves the way it is today. There was a time we held a conference on actors of ‘Village Headmaster’, ‘Samanja’, ‘New Masquerade’, in the Mid-West then. It turned out well…we were happy. We hugged ourselves went back and continued how to be better than the others in production.

Do you think the Nigerian society has treated you well?

Which society? If it is the Nigerian society that I know, nobody thinks of another person, they think of themselves. It has never treated anybody well. Look at musicians, actors and footballers, how many have they really recognized unless an individual call on them. Look at my good friend prophet TB Joshua, when he calls them that he wants to honour them for their efforts, he gives them a car each or N1 Million each. The President of Gambia invited us and gave us one plot of land each in one of their biggest GRAs saying that they appreciate what we are doing in Nigeria and also Africa, 18 of us. But Nigeria has never given me even half plot of land in Abuja, nor have they given me in Lagos or in Enugu…

But another country has done what they couldn’t do….

Yes! Gambia called some of us the best actors and honoured us, what my own country couldn’t do for us. Even the contributions the former minister of finance told them that entertainment industry is adding to the GDP have been abandoned or they don’t want to seek for advice. They know that there is no show today or even political gatherings they have today that they don’t involve entertainment. They don’t want to recognize entertainment.

So how do you survive now looking at the challenges you have enumerated?

You are asking me how do I survive, why won’t I survive. I survive on my own, or do you want me to go to EFCC (laughing), government has never given me any kobo o. You see me do advert, don’t you? We are also looking at bringing back The New Masquerade bearing the cost while NTA will gives us airtime. I don’t see the Nigerian society doing anything special for us. They don’t even know if we exist.

What efforts are you veterans in the industry making to ensure that most of the scripts being churned out meet your standard?

There i no forum for the veterans to come together to review and position the industry in a way that would enhance the scripts. We need to have a forum that would enable a yearly review and how the industry has felt so that we could know the flaws in the various shows that are being sent out to the public. We can give advice to producers and directors on how to improve and it would be left for them to accept.

Since you left mainstream acting, what are the challenges you have encountered and how are you working towards cushioning them?

I have not left the mainstream acting, I’m still into acting here and there but because I don’t have a regular show it looks as if I have left the mainstream. People have been telling me to put up a regular show. But the challenge I have is that I don’t have sponsorship to put my shows through. If sponsors come in, you will be seeing me every week and I will still entertain.

Is it the ‘New Masquerade’ or you have other ones?

Both ’New Masquerade’ and other shows, some are in vernacular others in Pidgin English. If I produce I keep them, they are there in Enugu. We have the capacity to produce good TV shows but when you don’t get sponsorship you can’t afford to pay the producers, directors, or even the other casts and crew. So, the major challenge I have is sponsorship because what I have in my head is too much.

So what’s your advice to the youths who look up to you as an actor?

I advise those who would love to have a better view of the screen to open their eye because entertainment is not just reading the script and reproducing what you find in the script. It is for you to interpret it and see what is in the script. Try and identify faults and if you do that you are stepping into the shoes of professionals. Make sure you read and interpret the script very well and your future will surely be bright.

http://okrote..com.ng/2017/02/nigerian-society-has-not-treated-us.html
http://leadership.ng/entertainment/571083/nigerian-society-has-not-treated-us-well-zebrudaya

(1) (Reply)

Davido Confesses He Doesn't Make Time To Praise God As He Goes To Church / ★ Ycee Becomes Hennessey’s Latest Ambassador / Amber Rose Offers Up Trademark Receipts To Prove She Owns ‘ace Of Diamonds’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.