Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill (980 Views)

US Now Seeking Social Media Details From All Visa Applicants / Drop Box Visa Applicants Say U.S. Is Revoking And Cancelling Valid Visas / USA Visa Applicants To Submit 5 Years Of Social Media Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill by AnnaKareninaFan: 5:49pm On Feb 17, 2017
A Republican congressman Rep. Jim Banks representing Indiana's 3rd District in USA has announced Thursday he is introducing the Visa Investigation and Social Media Act of 2017, or VISA Act, in an attempt to strengthen the vetting process for immigration and travel visa applicants. This will require the Department of Homeland Security to review applicants'(all foreign citizens seeking visas to enter the United States) "publicly available social media activity", such as Twitter messages, Facebook posts and photos, and YouTube videos.

In a statement, Banks said, "We must have confidence that those entering our country do not intend us harm. Directing Homeland Security to review visa applicants’ social media before granting them access to our country is common sense. Employers vet job candidates this way, and I think it’s time we do the same for visa applicants.” The bill would also require Homeland Security to interview every visa applicant who is 11 years old or older, conduct a fraud-prevention check of each applicant’s documentation and require that applicants provide an English translation of their documents.

http://dawntodusknews.com/usa-visa-applicants-social-media-activities-vetted-immigration-proposed-bill/

1 Like

Re: USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill by Isaacmacdon(m): 6:32pm On Feb 17, 2017
I really love the level of thinking these guys possess. We all need to be very professional even on social media. There are lots of lessons to learn from this development.
Re: USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill by TWoods(m): 3:53am On Feb 18, 2017
AnnaKareninaFan:

In a statement, Banks said, "We must have confidence that those entering our country do not intend us harm. Directing Homeland Security to review visa applicants’ social media before granting them access to our country is common sense. Employers vet job candidates this way, and I think it’s time we do the same for visa applicants.” The bill would also require Homeland Security to interview every visa applicant who is 11 years old or older, conduct a fraud-prevention check of each applicant’s documentation and require that applicants provide an English translation of their documents.

I wonder how many Nigerians will get visas if this is passed.
Re: USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill by Nobody: 3:55am On Feb 18, 2017
TWoods:

I wonder how many Nigerians will get visas if this is passed.
Far fewer
Re: USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill by TWoods(m): 4:02am On Feb 18, 2017
CFCman:

Far fewer

I can imagine everyone will now have to go through administrative processing which can last till forever. Any Nigerian with hopes of leaving Nigeria better do it now.
Re: USA Visa Applicants' Social Media Posts To Be Vetted By Immigration In New Bill by sosy25: 5:42pm On Feb 18, 2017
If our Nairaland posts are also scrutinized virtually every Nairalander would be refused a visa. Thank God Nairaland is faceless.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Today In History, Remembering Victims Of DANA Air Crash Flight 992 / Best Tourist Places In Lagos / Please, Where In Lagos Can I Get Transport Vehicles Going To Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.