Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,718 members, 7,820,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered (1067 Views)

Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 / How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle / How A Car's Mileage(Odometer) Is Rolled-Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by TRYGO(m): 9:26pm On Feb 18, 2017
INTRODUCTION
Though its nothing new these days to see lots of cars on our roads, with their odometer readings very low(tempered with); despite their acclaimed model year(s).
Some if such vehicles, are as good as dead boxes.

I'm so sorry, if I hurt you by the use of my words.
People buy "high mileage" cars, thinking they've gotten a good buy(low mileage one).

Car dealers would never reveal to you, if a car's odometer readings are real, or not.

You know why? They're in it for the CASH brother. Lower mileage cars, cost a huge fortune. So, if its possible for anyone to bug into a car's odometer reading, even for some fee, they just going to do it.

HOW DO YOU KNOW YOUR CAR'S ODOMETER HAS BEEN BUGGED?

1. Minor scratches. You'd notice scratches on the dashboard, speedometer clear cover, etc.

In some other instances, you'd get to realize that there are finger marks on the internals of the clear cover. That's a sign of something is fishy concerning the odometer.

2. Dealer refusal to disclose VIN. A car's VIN, is simply the car's vehicle identification number.

The VIN, discloses a whole lot about the car's model year, location if manufacture, transmission type, etc.

Data gotten from a VIN search, can be used to reveal the odometer reading of a car, from any state it was registered.

Companies such as Carfax, and Auto check, are in the forefront of providing such information, as far as the USA is concerned.
Such services are provided on the payment of a little fee.

If for instance a request was made by you asking a car dealer to provide you the VIN of your dream car, and he refuses, that's a red flag for you to know the odometer of the car might have being rolled back.

Run with your money o!

3. Disparity in the actual odometer reading from that on the service maintenance records.

Any alterations noticed on the maintenance records of the car, is a clear sign that the actual odometer on the dashboard has being bugged.

This shows that the odometer reading has some issues, and someone, is trying to Gide something. Notice, I said someone. I didn't say, you, or the dealership.

4. Check every service reminder stickers placed on the driver door side.

If the car you want to buy is from the USA, it should have it's maintenance reminder stickers affixed on either the driver side door frame, or on the windscreen.

Comparing the odometer readings on the stickers, and the actual odometer reading on the car, should be able to tell you if its being rolled back.

5. Checking the interiors of the car. In this section, the steering wheels, brake pedals are checked for excessive wears.

Check for signs of wear in areas like the steering wheel, arm rests, gear knobs, and also the pedals. You should also note that if any of those items looks brand new, as if it had been replaced recently, then it may indicate an attempt to hide the vehicle's real age.

6. Hire a mechanic to inspect the car. He should look for signs of tampering of any of the accessories in the interiors of the car.

On leather made seats, check for cracks on them. If you've got a some cracks, that would reveal the level the car has being used.

A 10year old car, can easily be checked for odometer manipulations, if they show signs of excessive use.

7. Inspect underneath the carpets. Cars that their odometer readings doesn't correspond with their interior appearance, is a red line, never to cross.

CONCLUSIONS
Though it might be difficult sometimes to ascertain whether a car's odometer reading has being tempered with.

Adhering to any, or all of the above, would definitely reduce some of the odometer reading frauds that's being perpetuated by car dealers, and save you, the end user of such used cars, some BUCKS.

¶Even if this piece of information in this article provides some clues to fraudulent odometer fraudster, I bet you, it would be highly unprofitable for them to manipulate some of the interior auxiliaries. ¶

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)

Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:59pm On Feb 18, 2017
Numerous threads on cartalk with lots of issues, I don't ever see you there. But you will come and dump 1 long epistle that is of little value to car users. I think you are being selfish with your knowledge if you have any.

1 Like

Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by TRYGO(m): 11:11pm On Feb 18, 2017
@Gazzuzz. No vex. I'm not being selfish na. I share a lot here, too. But not to worry. Would try checking out the car talk issues, and post my comments also.

Those stuffs I "dump" are helpful to lots of people that have come across.
Depends on what you consider the objectives of my threads to be.

There ate lots of KPI I look out for, to know those long threads are helpful to a lot of folks out there.

3 Likes

Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by hisgrace090: 11:51pm On Feb 18, 2017
Thank you for this information.
I can see that fraudulent car dealers are already shevering.

1 Like

Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54am On Feb 19, 2017
hisgrace090:
I can see that fraudulent car dealers are already severing.

Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by mili3kid(m): 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

choi Gazzuzz... one complicatedly funny sombori. e we coman yab sombori next thing e go burst ur spelling mistake...
(now I af to read dis 5 tyms to b sure I no do any mistook)
Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:41am On Feb 20, 2017
hisgrace090:
I can see that fraudulent car dealers are already shevering.

you had 2 whole days and you still couldn't get it right grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4708296_img20160912154232430_jpeg65878c1aa7a9ab4d1ddec6a065a60f59
Re: Used Car Purchase: How To Know If The Odometer Reading Has Been Tempered by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:42am On Feb 20, 2017
mili3kid:

choi Gazzuzz... one complicatedly funny sombori. e we coman yab sombori next thing e go burst ur spelling mistake...
(now I af to read dis 5 tyms to b sure I no do any mistook)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4762601_thisisnoneofyourbusinesskeepscrolling_jpegb2296f2d121baf7dfc373dd615443484

(1) (Reply)

Car Tracker/ Installation In Abuja / All About Your Car Tyres: Help, Questions, Maintenance, Purchase, Repairs. / Autos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.