Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

The Boys Love Themselves - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Boys Love Themselves (342 Views)

“it Is Discriminatory To Expel Pregnant Schoolgirls And Leave The Boys That Impr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Boys Love Themselves by ayesco202(m): 9:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
Please pardon me if my write-up is not well spaced/paragraphed. It's just a small phone. Here we go... As negligible as some errors in the English language may appear, these may bring about some form of misinterpretation of messages passed across from the speaker to the receiver. The topic of this thread is one of them. Before I proceed, it is pertinent that I re-visit these two types of pronouns - reflexive pronouns and reciprocal pronouns. Reflexive pronouns point back to the subject of the sentence. They are also used for emphases. Examples are: myself, yourself, himself, themselves etc. Reciprocal pronouns on the other hand show sense of togetherness in a relationship between two or more people. Each other and one another are the two types of reciprocal pronouns. Therefore, 'The boys love themselves' means, each one loves himself - not that one loves another. One boy out of the boys, loves himself! Another boy, out of the boys, loves himself! Themselves means one being particular about oneself where there are a lot of other such people who are particular about themselves as individuals, too. To show a one to one relationship, say instead: the boys love one another/each other. There is a song titled 'Baba Mimo' by a Nigerian artiste which I so much love. Towards the end of this song, the singer sings in Yoruba 'ko wa, ka le ma feran arawa' which means 'teach us to love one another'. But the English version of 'ko wa, ka le ma feran arawa' according to the song is, 'teach us to love ourselves'. From the foregoing, this is a misinterpretation of 'ko wa, ka le ma feran arawa'. Goodluck to those who may find this useful.

(1) (Reply)

Adeolayusuf21@gmail.com / Ogun Formally Converts Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Into A University / SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES OF UNN PG 2016-2017 ADMISSION DISCUSSION THREAD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.