Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,206 members, 7,829,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

The Love Of Free Things - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Love Of Free Things (827 Views)

Great News Is Here (whats App Now Has Option Of Free Calls) / New Megauploads (mega) Launches Today With 50GB Of Free Storage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Love Of Free Things by talk2ahmed(m): 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2009
THE LOVE OF FREE THINGS

By nature man is poised to collect yet, reluctant to give. The gifts of nature are most times free, only that nature requires that we input our quota to make the cycle a continuous one.
And that is clearly demonstrable from the abundance of suiting air for breathing in areas that have either natural greening or artificial regenerative agriculture or organic farming. The ecosystem is badly threatened by our rate of consumption without replacement, or alternate processes that lead to recovery and continuity.
That has been the major nexus around what seems to threaten the whole globe today; the ozone layer’s rapid depletion as a result of man’s environmentally destructive activities. If nature provides us with trees for use in home furniture, fuel for rural users, connecting bridges and assorted human activities.
The kalo-kalo syndrome that make people hanker after things they can never get, is fast catching up with Nigerians who are most times very gullible to a fault. In their goose wisdom “free meal doesn’t upset the stomach”. But it does! Free meal from who!
There is this promo-craze, product publicity and ads that clearly show that many if not most Nigerians are imprudent and thereby improve the market and income of these promoters   unwittingly.
A clear case is palpable in the ads and promo of mobile service providers, its either a new slash on rates charged for calls as you recharge more or a free texting spree as you change your charging plan; for every plan however, the indices would have been evaluated and never will these providers run at a loss. They are ten times smarter.
Some days ago, a particular mobile service provider started a free day call thing and this by the interpretation of Nigerians is impressive and therefore must be exploited while it lasts; trust Nigerians, the criss-cross of calls congested the network such that people put calls across to communicate the flimsiest of issues! “What’s the colour of your bed sheets?” …if you are not buying another one for her, why all this flimsy inquiries. “Inform Uncle that I got the money” ; here again I am assuming that once deposits and withdrawals are made, there is an automated alert system, so why the call? . “Everything is fine, the sky is blue, the sun is shining and the trees are responding to the wind”; are you trying to teach someone physical geography on phone? I hear so much trash and apart from those who converse for business ends, I wonder what it would be like if the conversation of the average Nigerian were to be put into paper. Crass balderdash, incoherent histrionics and silly rants!
These are the very reasons for which legitimate calls and conversation informed by transactions is hampered. Here, we are not absolving the mobile service providers, but the consumers are clearly culpable.
In the name of free things therefore, citizens lose their sanity, misplace their priorities and squander their irrecoverable time on trivialities and non-issues; even at that I only wish the average caller will use the most basic modicum of market arithmetic to evaluate the cost of “text x alphabets to y digits”(where each text most times cost hundred Naira)….and this N100 per day is multiplied by the approximately ten million gullible phone users; that is cool money. And rephrasing the ace presenter Frank Idoho ; So who doesn’t want to be a millionaire?
It is the bandwagoners who do things not because it is beneficial but looks like the trendy thing to do, it is those who loose so much to promos and ads, it is those who would rather call on flimsy ground than save that little for some beneficial stuffs, it is the folks who have to change caller-tunes almost as frequent as a new music enters town. Those who deny their selves of good sleep in the name of free night calls….It is hoped that if our condition as a people is bettered, some things which are more or less free in other nations , will not keep freaking us at arrival and making us a replica native people from some abandoned plantation.
Re: The Love Of Free Things by donjon: 11:20pm On Dec 09, 2009
Na so we see am
Re: The Love Of Free Things by abrahym(m): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2009
how can i start my short code sms biz.

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Hp Mini Laptops 4 Sale / Vsat Equipment / Breast Cancer Screening Program Developed By 17 Year Old(with Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.