Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Modern Christianity And Ancestral Onslaught - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modern Christianity And Ancestral Onslaught (272 Views)

Masquerade Converts To Christianity And Becomes An Evangelist In 6 Months(photo) / G.O Adeboye : A Huge Stain On Modern Christianity In Nigeria / 3 False Idols And Teachings Of Modern Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Modern Christianity And Ancestral Onslaught by Chizgold: 11:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
There is a growing trend in my kindred group that troubles me exceedingly. And I suspect it is a trend that is not unique to my kindred group, it might be the case in other kindred groups and communities.

On occasion, I have received friend requests on Facebook, and upon a quick review, I have observed that the requesters’ names did not ring a bell. However, being the global citizen that I am, I have approved such requests, and became friends with them. However, when I start receiving messages in my Facebook inbox where such friends address me in intimate fraternal and familial terms, suggesting that they are more than friends – they are family, I am forced to ask them who they are. Surprisingly, it turns out that they are indeed closer to me than mere friends and acquaintances. It turns out they are my kindred members who have altered their last names.

I call this a growing trend because it is not a one off thing. Now I have three such cases in my kindred circle alone. I have cousins who write their ancestral last names as Eziokwu. I thought it was a mistake, and called the attention of one of them to it. He confirmed to me that it was not a mistake; that it was indeed deliberate. That he and his siblings decided that Eziokwu made better sense than Eziekwu, which is their ancestral name. Another cousin kept referring to me as ‘brother’, but it was difficult for me to recognize her because her Facebook last name is Chukwuesodo, and we have no such last name anywhere in Igboland, not just in my kindred circle. Her correct ancestral name is Aniesodo. Her explanation? That Aniesodo, because of the root word, Ani (Earth), is paganesque. To cure that, she has decided to substitute Ani for Chukwu (God). What ignorance! The third case involves yet another kindred member. In his case, with the approval of his priest, he has baptismally altered his ancestral last name from Egwuonwu to Egwuatu. Like the Aniesodo-Chukwuesodo change, this brother believes that his ancestral name is the determinant and predictor of his fate.

Interestingly, these last-name alterations are not just your Facebook identity fad; these are formally documented last name changes. From my inquiry, these last name changes have the imprimatur, and I suspect the urging, of religious and spiritual mentors – priests and pastors. I have one evidence that it occurred during adult baptism. And that is troubling, to say the least.

Why should a priest or pastor advise and encourage anybody to do such damage to their identity? Why should the church promote such nonsensical travesty? Do these folks realize that with such ancestral name alterations, they have assumed entirely new identities? Do they realize that by such actions, they have not only severed ties with their ancestral heritage, but that they have also denounced their forbearers? Who is behind this nonsense? Which ignorant and half-taught priests and pastors have made it their business to destroy African ancestral identity? This must be stopped! This is the worst form of cultural ignorance.

Ironically, in my native community, and I come from a Catholic community, the first and the foremost indigenous priest is Rev. Fr. (Professor) Christian Anieke. Professor Anieke is the Vice Chancellor of Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu. Like I said, the first indigenous priest my community produced. Notice his ancestral last name – Anieke. If there is theological validity to the logic that has driven ancestral last name alterations, would Professor Anieke not have been the first to do that? Would he not long ago, following the logic of Aniesodo-Chukwuesodo change, have denounced Anieke for Chukwueke?

Coincidentally, Professor Christian Anieke took over the administration of Institute of Ecumenical Studies, Thinkers Corner, Enugu, from late Rev. Fr. (Dr.) Stan Ani. Yes, Stan Ani, not Stan Chukwu. As for Egwuonwu-Egwuatu change, I know that there are priests and pastors who go by the last name Egwuonwu.

Who is behind this dangerous cultural brainwash? Why should any priest or pastor make it their business to impugn and destroy ancestral identities? The theory that one’s ancestral name is correlated to one’s destiny is not just spurious, it is downright silly and stupid. That pseudo-theology is debunked by the successes of men like Professor Chris Anieke, Late Dr. Stan Ani, Gov. Chimaroke Nnamani, Late Justice Anthony Aniagolu, Late Ozonnagbo Anieke, Ego Nnamani-Boyo, – to name just a few.

This must stop!

Those behind this sort of dangerous Christianity must cease and desist. Our ancestral identity and heritage must be honored, preserved and protected, not desecrated, denounced, and destroyed by a bunch of overzealous priests and pastors. Rather than nominally severing ties with our ancestors, we should be erecting memorial statues and landmarks in their names.

There is nothing sinful about Igbo ancestral names. What I consider sinful is what seems like an organized Christian religious effort to delegitimize our ancestors and severe their ties to their offspring. That is the worst form of expropriation. It is a sin against God himself, being in violation of the Fifth and Tenth Commandments – “Honor thy father and thy mother”, and “Thou shall not covet”, respectively. And God hates it when His Commandments are violated, especially by those who know them, or ought to know them, the most. He does.

Credit: http://ikengachronicles.com/modern-christianity-and-ancestral-onslaught-vitus-ozoke/

(1) (Reply)

"Yea, He Is Altogether Lovely." / Why Do You Doubt? / OPEN HEAVEN Devotional(sun. 16/04/2017)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.