Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly (1338 Views)

Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 / How Many Of These Primary 4 Questions Will You Be Able To Answer?(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly by Studentcosmos(m): 1:45pm On Feb 24, 2017
It was fun back then in primary school. How we sang a lot of songs with unflinching boldness yet we sang them wrongly.
Don't blame us, our teachers taught us that way.
Don't blame them too, they were taught that way also.
I'm sure someone must have heard these songs and added her own lyrics to make up for the lyrics she missed out (I used "Her" because 98% of those who taught us those errors were females.....yes! Our 'Aunty' taught us........Apologies to the female gender out there)

What still baffles me most is how we have carried on with these errors for more than a decade. Many of us are now undergraduates, graduates, parents or even grand parents and yet still not know the correct lyrics. (I'm culpable of this offense)

Let us look at some of these songs while you add yours in the comment section below.

#
I used to think our closing prayer was "Night and day is over, time is coming here.......". I never knew it was:
Now the day is over,
Night is drawing nigh,
Shadows of the evening,
Steal across the sky.

Hehehehe......now I know. (It was my Aunty that taught me this one but my uncle never corrected me while I was in primary 5....abi uncle sef no know am)

But I still don't know the "glory to the father......" Part. If you know it, kindly enlighten me.

Here is even the full song sef....I never knew:
Now the day is over
Night is drawing nigh
Shadows of the evening
Steal across the sky

Now the darkness gathers
Stars begin to peep
Birds and beasts and flowers
Soon will be asleep

Now the day is over
The sun has said goodnight
The crescent moon has risen
To share it's gentle light

Now the wind is whispering
In stillness soft and sweet
All of nature's creatures
Now are sound asleep

#
What about this one:
"Jangilova epo motor".....we sang these often while on the swing. I call everything jangilova then not knowing we have the swing and we have the merry-go-round (many don't even know that)
Hehehehe.....epo motor kor, epo okada ni. It was 'jingle over like a motor'........

#
This one also:
"Sandalili Sandalili"
O my gosh!!! How shouldn't I have known there was nothing like "sandalili". And my instincts had always wanted me to ask my teacher what it means. But I was scared she would spank me.
Actually, the correct thing is, 'standard living, standard living'. (You know we always dress according to different profession, I always tell my teacher I wanted to be a pilot......decades later, I'm not a pilot)

Well, this is the little I can remember for now. You can add yours to it
-
Originally posted on nairaland.
Copyright: Abiodun Arije, a Blogger at www.studentcosmos.com
Re: Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly by Onyeka64(m): 1:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
Lol......really nice thread

1 Like

Re: Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly by Studentcosmos(m): 1:52pm On Feb 24, 2017
The most excellency is Jesus is actually The most excellent king is Jesus.
Re: Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly by Epositive(m): 1:53pm On Feb 24, 2017
H I P for tha hi P O PO for tha hippopo
and T M UM for tha hipopotamus
HIPOPPOTAMUS!!!

(primary school days enh) even the "day by day" song/poem na gbagx. we sang it when it's lunch time then.
#positivevibes
Re: Remember These Primary School Songs? We All Sang And Still Sing Them Wrongly by Studentcosmos(m): 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2017
Epositive:
H I P for tha hi
P O PO for tha hippopo

and T M UM for tha hipopotamus

HIPOPPOTAMUS!!!

(primary school days enh)
even the "day by day" song/poem
na gbagx. we sang it when it's lunch time then.

#positivevibes
Lols. Me sef gbegbagi wella then. Tho mu uncle corrected me.
Day by day, day by day,
O, dear Lord, three things I pray:
to see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, follow thee more nearly, day by day.

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Delta State University Cut-off Mark For All Courses / National Fire Academy To Affiliate With Nda / The 8 Northern States /south east has highest Number Of Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.