Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? (8959 Views)

Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 / Minimum Requirements Of Becoming A Professor In Nigeria / The Academia Is Proud Of Their Man In Govt House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 10:18am On Feb 25, 2017
I read it on a thread this morning (https://www.nairaland.com/3649249/osinbajo-faces-tough-times-aso ) that Acting President Osinbajo became a Lecturer at the age of 23 and he rose to the full fledged Professorial cadre at the age of 33....

How is that possible? Considering how difficult it is to even get to the level of Senior Lecturer after over 10years in the Academia.

I know of Lecturers who have lectured for over 17years and they are still a Lecturer 1(they still have the Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor cadres to work for before they can be appointed Professors).

How did Osinbajo achieved his? Considering the fact that you have to spend some certain years at certain levels before you can be promoted regardless of publications.

Over to the Academics in the house.

NOTE : I also learnt that just like Professor Wole Soyinka, Professor Osinbajo didn't obtain a PhD(as the requirements allowed then) before he was appointed a Professor.

THE ACADEMIA TREE/LADDER IS SHOWN BELOW

Graduate Assistant. ( Mostly a retained fresh graduate of the University);

Assistant Lecturer (Upon obtaining Masters Degree);

Lecturer II;

Lecturer I ;

Senior Lecturer ;

Associate Professor ;

Full Fledged Professor.

Cc

Cc

olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez Lalasticlala Seun

Ishilove Mynd44

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by LAFO: 10:20am On Feb 25, 2017
This one pass me.

Lemme sit and enjoy the comments below.

1 Like

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by Eleniyan15: 10:26am On Feb 25, 2017
Interesting
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by Elkay3: 10:28am On Feb 25, 2017
I was hoping you will list out the conditions before professorship, or you've dug out some unexplained things, but it's none of that.

Some things...well, we had a "Dame", still can't explain how.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by nrexzy: 10:29am On Feb 25, 2017
Became?**** thats one of the reasons you wouldn't be...

7 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 25, 2017
I want to know if he became a Prof in a Nigerian university or outside the country

4 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by waterfas: 10:35am On Feb 25, 2017
Its possible, all depend on your will power. Its either you study hard or you spend years moving up the ladder gradually. Masters is two years, PhD maximum 5years, and the rest depend on your publications. Get the number require and become a Prof.
But its not that easy anyway considering other factors, it still depend on the individual.

6 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 10:44am On Feb 25, 2017
waterfas:
Its possible, all depend on your will power. Its either you study hard or you spend years moving up the ladder gradually. Masters is two years, PhD maximum 5years, and the rest depend on your publications. Get the number require and become a Prof.
But its not that easy anyway considering other factors, it still depend on the individual.

Yes.... Not just anyhow publications - some has to be of International Standard.

And again, political factors too. Some get promotions faster than others based on political affiliations with those at the corridor of power.
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by donolatunji(m): 10:48am On Feb 25, 2017
Elkay3:
I was hoping you will list out the conditions before professorship, or you've dug out some unexplained things, but it's none of that.

Some things...well, we had a "Dame", still can't explain how.

Seriously All Questions Posed Can Only Be Answered Correctly At https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemi_Osinbajo

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by nerodenero: 10:50am On Feb 25, 2017
Haven't you heard people say, "we can find exceptions to almost any rule". He was an exception. He is/was a genius.

4 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by donolatunji(m): 10:51am On Feb 25, 2017
EastGold:
I want to know if he became a Prof in a Nigerian university or outside the country

Yea Twas Frm A Nigerian Uni
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by donolatunji(m): 10:56am On Feb 25, 2017
AmbodOfLASU:

Yes.... Not just anyhow publications - some has to be of International Standard.

And again, political factors too. Some get promotions faster than others based on political affiliations with those at the corridor of power.
Yea I Really Agree With You Cus While He Was A Senior Lecturer,he Was Also An Internal Politician,whereby He Worked With Both Levels Of Govt.
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by ediama(m): 11:02am On Feb 25, 2017

7 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by eleojo23: 11:04am On Feb 25, 2017
OP it's only in this country that someone must suffer before becoming a professor

That is why people prefer studying abroad so that they don't waste their precious time in this our corrupt system that is filled with so many bad belle lecturers. angry

20 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 11:06am On Feb 25, 2017
donolatunji:

Yea Twas Frm A Nigerian Uni

He lectured for many years in LASU before he left for UNILAG.

He is well respected here in LASU as a reputable Academic.

6 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:30am On Feb 25, 2017
Becoming a professor then isn't as difficult as it is now. Let me give you a few examples:

1. (Though centuries ago): Isaac Newton became a professor at 24. I need not tell you more about him. Google is your friend.

2. A more recent example and closer to us here is Professor A.R. Anao, the former VC of the University of Benin. He became a professor without earning a PhD. If I'm not mistaking, no Nigerian accounting professor can reckon with this guy. It would be unjust not to appoint him a professor. Besides, in his time, a PhD wasn't a pre-requisite for professorship.

I don't know Osinbajo's story. Maybe it's related to that of Anao.

5 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by chloride6: 11:33am On Feb 25, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
Becoming a professor then isn't as difficult as it is now. Let me give you a few examples:

1. (Though centuries ago): Isaac Newton became a professor at 24. I need not tell you more about him. Google is your friend.

2. A more recent example and closer to us here is Professor A.R. Anao, the former VC of the University of Benin. He became a professor without earning a PhD. If I'm not mistaking, no Nigerian accounting professor can reckon with this guy. It would be unjust not to appoint him a professor. Besides, in his time, a PhD wasn't a pre-requisite for professorship.

Guy you can lie for Africa

Newton was an undergraduate at 24
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:37am On Feb 25, 2017
Obviously, you don't know Isaac Newton. He was born 1642 and was appointed a professor in 1666 at Cambridge. I'm not here to argue with you. Use the internet.
chloride6:

Guy you can lie for Africa

Newton was an undergraduate at 24

5 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by mu2sa2: 11:48am On Feb 25, 2017
Professor is just a title or award. That's why Wole soyinka and chinua Achebe who both have no PhD but became professors.In some institutions in US any lecturer may be called professor.But in Britain things are different - professorship is a chair, and only one person occupies it at a time. I remember a nigerian who graduated in veterinary medicine in Uk in the 1960s and later became a professor in a Nigerian university. He said he felt shy to call himself a professor when he went back to his university years later and met the same man who was his professor still occupying the chair. Osinbajo is a brilliant scholar so i am not surprised that he became a professor so early.

7 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by chloride6: 11:54am On Feb 25, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
Obviously, you don't know Isaac Newton. He was born 1642 and was appointed a professor in 1666 at Cambridge. I'm not here to argue with you. Use the internet.

How could he be a professor when he only graduated in 1665.

Newton was a genius yes but was not a professor at 24.
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by benzion72(m): 11:56am On Feb 25, 2017
So what do you want him to become after 10 years? Nigeria mind set

1 Like

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by Geeweeny(m): 12:32pm On Feb 25, 2017
PatrickOkunima:

LOL, newton n osibanjo, like really, like seriously.... Anao is a genius n most of his research contributed to humanity, let me point out to you mostly prof is awarded to mostly works that have changed or contributed significantly to humanity or to a particular field.... But for me I think osibanjo knew the right people n the political connects cos I have not heard or seen any significant thing he has contributed to his field... So u can just have a masters n stl bag professorship. For example Alia Sabur makes the cut

5 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by 0955eb027(m): 12:33pm On Feb 25, 2017
Professorship has to do with research and publications not necessarily progressing from lecturer 2 to 1 to senior lecturer and then to Associate prof.
My postgraduate supervisor became a professor 4yrs after bagging his PhD.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by lafuria1(m): 12:51pm On Feb 25, 2017
Thats because instead of awarding him a Masters degree, he was awarded a PhD, which was allowed then, getting a professor wasn't a problem.

1 Like

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 12:54pm On Feb 25, 2017
0955eb027:
Professorship has to do with research and publications not necessarily progressing from lecturer 2 to 1 to senior lecturer and then to Associate prof.
My postgraduate supervisor became a professor 4yrs after bagging his PhD.

How he take do am?
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 12:55pm On Feb 25, 2017
Cc

olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez Lalasticlala Seun

Ishilove Mynd44 Let's have this on the front page.
Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by victorking: 1:19pm On Feb 25, 2017
Op please get your facts right. He was employed as a lecturer in Unilag in 1981 and was made a Professor in 1997. Wikipedia is your friend

5 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by napoleon77(m): 1:33pm On Feb 25, 2017
AmbodOfLASU:
I read it on a thread this morning (https://www.nairaland.com/3649249/osinbajo-faces-tough-times-aso ) that Acting President Osinbajo became a Lecturer at the age of 23 and he rose to the full fledged Professorial cadre at the age of 33....

How is that possible? Considering how difficult it is to even get to the level of Senior Lecturer after over 10years in the Academia.

Clearly not true. As someone earlier wrote, Wikipedia is your friend.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 1:43pm On Feb 25, 2017
napoleon77:

Clearly not true. As someone earlier wrote, Wikipedia is your friend.

That's roughly 16years but Chief Bisi Akande said 10years.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by AmbodOfLASU: 1:44pm On Feb 25, 2017
victorking:
Op please get your facts right. He was employed as a lecturer in Unilag in 1981 and was made a Professor in 1997. Wikipedia is your friend

According to Chief Bisi Akande, it took him 10years as seen in the link below. Perhaps he misrepresented the facts
http://newtelegraphonline.com/news/osinbajo-faces-tough-times-aso-rock/

2 Likes

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 25, 2017
Everything is cash and carry in our tribal nation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Osinbajo Become A Professor Within 10years in the Academia? by Elkay3: 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2017
donolatunji:

Seriously All Questions Posed Can Only Be Answered Correctly At https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemi_Osinbajo

Anyone who feels unhappy about the gentleman should simply console himself that some people are simply exceptional!!!
Did I just got to like the man more? I believe so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU: AGF Is Frustrated Over IPPIS Enrollment Failure / Fulafia 2013/2014 Final Admission List / unilag 2008 Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.