Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,817 members, 7,851,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. (523 Views)

Church Denominations Are Not As Divided As We Thought / Islam Is Killing, Christianity Is Peaceful & Our Traditional Belief Is The Best / Why Do We Have So Many Christian Denominations? What's the essence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. by ilynem(m): 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2017
So I opened Nairaland and the first thing I saw on the front page was "a pastor and 14 others convert to Islam". While this is commendable by our Muslim brothers, I will like to point out that this is just pure arrogance and desperation. While I see things like this every now and then of how Christians convert into Islam, you will rarely see such from Christians. It doesn't mean we don't get converts, it just means we are not desperate enough to rub it on the faces of our Muslim brothers. Go for crusades or lectures organized churches and see thousands of converts. Remove the compulsion from Islam and watch the religion dwindle.
Not to sound bitter I will like to commend our Muslim brothers for the effort they put in growing their religion. Whether through lectures, force or even financial gifts (I have a friend who was offered a lot of money to convert), they are dedicated to growing their religion.
This brings me to something that has been bordering me for almost a year. Jesus told us to go into the world and preach the gospel, but now we go into churches to preach. We no longer fish from the sea but from each others boats. My membership of any church depends on my location (I actually travel a lot) and as long as the church teaches the undiluted word of God, I will stay there as long as I am in that vicinity. Despite the fact I am a Christian, I still have people trying to get me into their church and I wonder why. Is being a Christian not enough? Do I have to be in your church? The energy you take in trying to get me to your church why can't it be used on someone who doesn't believe in Christ at all?
Christians are supposed to be united by one doctrine and that is the divinity of Jesus and the fact that He died and resurrected for our sin and any other doctrine is secondary. I realize that unity does not necessarily mean uniformity, but Christians in Nigeria are not united. CAN and PFN and other associations do not help at all as they forget the primary assignment, preaching Christ to the world but instead focus on triviality that don't matter.
Churches criticise each other based on doctrines that won't even take you to heaven. Should people make up? Should girls wear trousers? cover their hair? Etc. I am not Catholic (I have been to the Catholic church a number of times) but I can't even open my mouth to criticise any catholic I see. The reason is this. Do you protestants actually believe that all catholic members are doing the wrong thing and so will go to hell? Really? The answer is no. Why? Because they believe in the divinity of Jesus and His death and resurrection. So instead of trying to get a Catholic into your church go out to the world and preach the gospel.
With a united church, we will do wonders. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. by zionmade(m): 12:50pm On Feb 26, 2017
Bro u got it wrong.
Christians are united wen it comes to d most important qualification dat makes u a Christian which is
I believe dat in d immaculate conception of Jesus
That he died and rose up in payment for my sins
Dat Jesus is lord over my life
These are d only criteria dat makes one a Christian every other different doctrines are based on this.
So wat am i saying denominations may differ in d manner by which christians live their lives but they dnt ever differ on d most important proclamation dat Jesus in lord
Re: How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. by enshy: 12:56pm On Feb 26, 2017
zionmade:
Bro u got it wrong.
Christians are united wen it comes to d most important qualification dat makes u a Christian which is
I believe dat in d immaculate conception of Jesus
That he died and rose up in payment for my sins
Dat Jesus is lord over my life
These are d only criteria dat makes one a Christian every other different doctrines are based on this.
So wat am i saying denominations may differ in d manner by which christians live their lives but they dnt ever differ on d most important proclamation dat Jesus in lord
You are in the Spirit!
Denominationalism is a blessing!
Xtianity wouldnt spread as much as this if not for denominations. Cant you see how we are in dominion all round?
God bless our hearts! We refuse to allow disunity in the body of Christ! We are ONE!
Re: How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. by zionmade(m): 1:00pm On Feb 26, 2017
enshy:

You are in the Spirit!
Xtianity wouldnt spread as much as this if not for denominations. Cant you see how we are in dominion all round?
God bless our hearts! We refuse to allow disunity in the body of Christ! We are ONE!
Dats true my dear. Peter's message wasnt similar to paul's message and paul's message wasnt similar to James message but everything ended at bringing people to christ. D bible says some preach out of hatred, malice etc but at d end of d day d gospel is preached.

1 Like

Re: How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. by enshy: 1:06pm On Feb 26, 2017
zionmade:

Dats true my dear. Peter's message wasnt similar to paul's message and paul's message wasnt similar to James message but everything ended at bringing people to christ. D bible says some preach out of hatred, malice etc but at d end of d day d gospel is preached.
That means 'we win the lost at all cost'
Re: How Denominations Are Killing Christianity. by ilynem(m): 1:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
enshy:

You are in the Spirit!
I never said denomination was bad. I was just pointing out the negative effects it is bringing among us. Churches now compete with each other for members and it really shouldn't be so. Every denomination should have one focus and that is winning souls for Christ.

(1) (Reply)

Abel Is Back / Pics Of Stephanie Otobo's Mum At Apostle Sulaman's Church Begging 4 Forgiveness / Stephanie Otobo's Mother In Omega Fire Ministry Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.