Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman (1000 Views)

N/A / The Incongruity Of Love, A Short Essay By Pat Ashinze / 10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman by AreteWrites: 2:10pm On Feb 28, 2017
Call it a twist of fate, a slightly comical, but highly ironic and efficient move in the maker's giant chessboard, perhaps designed to remind me of who's in charge, that I, who have so often derided all private institutions of higher learning, mocking their outrageous fees and ridiculous little rules, especially making it my business to scoff at all who expressed their desire to come to covenant university, that I would be the first of my mates to gain admission, more so into covenant university, that I would find myself here, worrying that perhaps I cannot live up to the expectations of this place, perchance I am unworthy.

Before I venture into any other thing, I will attempt to paint a sketchy picture, a brief history of the circumstances surrounding my admission to C.U just to further let you understand the peculiarity of my situation. Now once upon a time, I was very good at math and science, but then I grew up, my brain grew lazy an my ingenuity found another form of expression; in words, beautifully crafted language. So, it was only natural that I dreamed of studying the language I had so effortlessly fallen in love with. But you see, I could only dream because the moment I mentioned to anyone that I wished to study English and become a writer, I had to watch different varieties of expressions of mockery, of disdain, outrage, disbelief, and all forms of voiced protest. Being unsure of this choice myself, I decided to do what was expected of me. Of course I did well in the sciences, always being among the best in class, even winning science competitions in the state, while developing my writing skills, throwing all my passion into the art, writing G.C.E exams in arts subjects just for the fun of it and clearing all my papers, really clearing them. Then something very funny happened. In very simple terms, I wrote JAMB, registered for medicine at UNN, the result came out and for some reason I failed to reach the cutoff mark, long story short, I had two choices; stay home for a year, which I wasn’t entirely averse to or study my dream, stress-free course at covenant university. I’ld like to say it was a dilemma, but it really wasn’t. There wasn’t really much of a choice. I embraced the idea with my usual gusto, the one that borders on obsessiveness. I came here all alone all the way from Owerri to take the CUSAS, suffered my own share of hardship on the way. I went home, convinced that because of the way everything seemed to work out for me, I was truly destined to be here. So it came as no surprise when I was offered admission here. Funds were sourced, goodbyes said and here I am.

Having mentioned my initial resentment of the total idea, and my awe at being here, the biggest challenge perhaps is in reconciling the two ideas. Try merging rebellion with devotion, obedience with a lifetime of non-conformity. Understand that my entire life has been a kaleidoscope of contradictions and ridiculous extremities. Extreme emotions, extreme depression, extreme excitement, extreme righteousness, extreme sinfulness, often misconstrued as hypocrisy. But of course I have always peen protected, my extremities accepted, my eccentricities condoned. There was always a balance point, and the battle of consequence existed only within, between my half self and me. All artists are eccentric, all passions maddening. One might argue that it is not that way in the real world, but what really is the real world. Mediocre humanity is the same everywhere and if the school yard is a microcosm of the real world, then the world bows only to true power, and true power is only for those who would take it. This has been my core value, and for some reason I cannot determine if CU will enforce or threaten to disorient it. Perhaps you will decide that for me.

I cannot with certainty say that I am qualified to give any assessment of CU, having only been here for two weeks. However, having been on this same path for years, I can understand and try to reconcile the excesses. When I was in junior school, I attended a model united nations conference; Nigerian International Secondary Schools Model United Nations (NISSMUN) conference at Abuja. For a week, we were made into united nations ambassadors. We dressed strictly corporately, represented countries in committees, and deliberated on issues. I truly got a peek into the life of a true leader, an ambassador, one who represents a place. With this responsibility also came a good degree of freedom. We made our own choices, what to eat, what to drink, who to relate with, how to relate…. Needless to say it was fun, but this was also where I made some of my biggest mistakes. All excuse was rendered obsolete. Of course I cannot dwell on these mistakes, although its definitely not what you think. But, I digress. My point basically is that this experience serves as a meeting point, shedding some perspective on this situation. I have seen and experienced first hand what young people are capable of, when given a free hand, and have often found myself appalled at the foolery of youth. Having been a leader in several positions, I can relate with authority and the need to have things just so.

I understand that covenant university wishes to depart from the norm, from what is attainable because you cannot be a leader if you do not stand out. I honestly like that I am in a place that’s different/ I believe that kings are born, but I also understand that it takes intense training to make a leader of a king. History is replete with armies, kingdoms which were revered and feared not because of their numbers, but because of the rigid, zombie/machine-like discipline of each soldier. Surely, not everyone is cut out to be a leader. CU wishes to ‘make’ kings. I cannot say that it is doomed to fail, but I can say that if it is to succeed, then it is surely on the right path. I understand that CU desires to be among the best, a force to be reckoned with. I also understand that these are big dreams and I must commend the seer of the vision.

The core values of CU are well laid out, a product of genius to say the least. If I do not accept everything, I can understand it all. I understand that to achieve any form of peace, there must be spiritual harmony. I mean, there really is no greater example than the country which we call our own. There is no underestimating the role God and all religion plays in the life of all humans. Surely there is no greater motivation to be conformant than the promise of eternal life and true peace. Belief is often the strongest motivating factor in the life of most average individuals. Christians and Muslims alike, Buddhists, Hindus, history books are filled with men who have done all sorts of strange thing in the name of God. Belief, no matter how unfounded is the bedrock of all religion, and religion is the greatest tool of motivation there ever existed. We believe in God and find evidence of His existence, we exist only to serve Him, and for that we continue to exist, only till we die. We believe in the love of God, the sacrifice that followed this love and we are compelled to love as fervently as our fickle hearts can. We believe in the promise of eternal life and peace to all who believe, and so we believe with all our hearts. When we are in trouble, we have a rock to fall back on, a being greater than ourselves who knows all and has the solution to all our problems, and so we do all that we perceive to be right because that is what he expects of us. We believe in God and so we see God, we hear God, and we obey God.

And if perhaps our belief fails us, we learn that doing the right thing is honorable. Death over dishonor. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. Alfred Owen wrote it best. We learn that a man of integrity does not fight, he does not lie, he does not steal, he does not drink or smoke because these things are unbecoming. He acts in a certain way, subdues all lusts, because it is proper so to do. We must be upright, honest, trustworthy because that is what society accepts. We must be accountable , open and totally predictable because this makes other people feel comfortable and safe. Truth is a virtue, a complex one that no one truly understands but a virtue nonetheless, as is pride.

And because pride is a virtue, and we believe the human race is supreme, backed by even the creator, we know we can do all things. Perhaps all is possible, perhaps not, but the mind is the foundation on which all truth is formed, so it is good and fitting to have a mindset of possibility. We call it confidence, call it self esteem, ‘positive’ ego, whatever we call it, we know pride is a worthy sin. Eagles may not flock but every lion needs a pride (pun intended? I can’t say for sure).

Narrow-mindedness is a vice I have so often scoffed at. Narrow-minded people never know true greatness. To make the most of life, one has to be open to new ideas. It is this extra knowledge that gives people an edge over their peers. It is what makes leaders. information, knowledge, helps in capacity building. It is also important to be hardworking and devoted in all our endeavors. While keeping an open mind, it is also important to be goal-oriented and vision-inclined. These are the things that CU tries to teach.

The only thing I don’t understand is sacrifice. If u must let go of one pleasure, to achieve a higher goal, then there is no sacrifice, it is simply a fair trade. This is what I believe and I make no apologies. If I must let go of my phone and all my outrageous dresses to join an elite group of leaders, then I do not see the sacrifice in this. If I must quell all erratic passions and act a certain way because it is the only way to achieve all my higher goals, then by all means I will.

If at all I have an action plan, it is very simple. I will do what I do best. I will read my books and avoid all trouble. I have big dreams and surely I will not let something as trivial as another human or trifling seeming pleasures get in my way. I will avoid all bad company and put God first, as I should. I will open my eyes to all the diverse possibilities and opportunities, engage in worthwhile ventures and endeavor to be a leader, a leading figure in all that I involve in. I will let my ambitions run free and make the most of the four years I have here and four years from now, while I give the valedictory speech, I will promise never to forget my days here, because in truth, I cannot.

Trusting, of course that the maker is on my side, I will impact the world in ways only I can, I will go where men fear to tread and become the single most powerful woman of my time. I will write my books, and join the elite group that have been my mentors, while touching lives. I have big dreams and I have decided to give them free reins, trusting that as much as it is going to be a goal driven journey, it will also be a very fun ride.

In conclusion I can only hope that you forgive my impudence, if any and my inability to write the required number of words. I have written the much I possibly can, given the circumstances. I hope you understand, and recognize when quality trumps quantity. I also hope you remember my name, because in no distant time, you WILL be hearing it...

Source www.ceraphys.com

cc lalasticlala mynd44 seun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman by Hawlahscho(m): 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2017
Epistle of Paul to the people of
Re: Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman by TheVictorious(m): 5:09pm On Feb 28, 2017
Wow what an article. I was particularly stunned when I noticed the writer is a lady. You will surely do well!
Re: Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman by TheVictorious(m): 5:14pm On Feb 28, 2017
Please remove that link. Clicking it won't refer anyone to the article. Put your name, or perhaps your moniker (if you're not comfortable with that), at the bottom.
Re: Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman by Akposb(m): 6:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
Good and expository.
Re: Read This Touching Freshman Essay By A Covenant University Freshman by ArnasPatterson: 8:46pm On May 10, 2023
Writing essay services offer a customized approach, allowing you to provide specific instructions and requirements to ensure your essay reflects your unique perspective.

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why Many Nigerian Ladies Lie About Being Virgins / 6 Mysterious Books One Should Not Read / Grammarly Premium Available For One Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.