Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al (2276 Views)

Poll: Which is better between :

Lecturing: 66% (8 votes)
Integrated Marketing Job: 33% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Jarus Talks About How They Made Their First Million From Blogging In Nigeria / @jarus, Tanimola, Debosky, Davidlan, Ola, Odunnu-- Pls I Nid ur Advice. / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by Jcob(m): 10:33am On Dec 13, 2009
I have been piloting both ways certificate wise for the past 5 years. Now I need to make a choice and follow whichever is ok. I'm talented and certified at both. I need to make a decision, and build my career. It's either I stay in a citadel of learning and rise through to become a prof and also have time for my personal biz though the fresh grad pay in the academics may not be more than 80k per month. On the other hand, working in ad agency gives opportunity to work on multinational brands and i can later move to in house agency. The start up salary could be better but having time for personal biz is the problem. Pls I want gurus in this section to advise. I.e Ajanlekoko, Tk417, Jarus, Sagamite, Jayb, et al
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by Cristalz(f): 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
Guys, where y'all at?
Ajanlekoko et. al. . . .dude's asking for help.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by Jcob(m): 6:14pm On Dec 14, 2009
Thanks Dear Mod.
I dunno why the thread is neglected.
By the way, Cristalz, you can tell me ur view on the above topic.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by AjanleKoko: 10:56pm On Dec 14, 2009
Sorry, guys. Busy day.
This is kind of silly, no vex bro. You have been doing both for 5 years? How is that? What are your long term goals, and which of them do you enjoy doing?

If I use me as an example, lecturing is not in the short term option for me. It is good to get solid industry experience, make some good money, and retire into lecturing. That's actually my plan. But if you are the conservative type, you can go into lecturing, and do some business on the side.
Lots of teachers do that. I just find it boring, and as you get older, you can't switch, you can't go into industry anymore.

Just my two cents.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by mamagee3(f): 1:03am On Dec 15, 2009
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by mamagee3(f): 3:02am On Dec 15, 2009
Integrating Marketing Job, definitely. tongue
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by mekusxxx: 3:15am On Dec 15, 2009
What is your highest qualification at the moment? That could help to advise you. I guess that your fantasizing about being a Prof means you have a terminal degree?
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by justfash50: 6:28am On Dec 15, 2009
My candid advise, with the ECONOMIC MELTDOWN fanning whole world.

Priorities has change from career path to most stable job security.

For me Lecturing is still more secured and u can start a biz at your own pace.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by obstead200(m): 10:45am On Dec 15, 2009
lecturing is definitely the best choice as far job security is concerned
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by tkb417(m): 11:56am On Dec 15, 2009
dude im just seeing this

i dont know whats driving you but i guess what you hope to achieve in say 10 years shoud determine what you will do today
Like you said, the academic environment wouldnt necessarily reward you financially for a long time. I also believe that sector is in ruins cos of the negelct from Govt and other stakeholders. except ure considering moving to private UNI which i doubt will help matters

the negatives in the edu sector would push me to the advertising thingy although i dont know nothn about that sector.

set ur goals and draw up a roadmap, whichever will produce the goods, make u a better person shd be ur best bet
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by okeymadu(m): 12:01pm On Dec 15, 2009
@Poster. A bird in hand is far better than a hundred in the sky, have you gotten the lecturing job yet or are u working as an integrated marketer? you will have to be specific. fantasizing wont do you any good. Your dilemma is quite understandable, you are growing.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by Jcob(m): 12:31pm On Dec 15, 2009
I really appreciate everybody's reply.
Is not a fantasy thingy. The 2 jobs are presently on ground. I just need to accept one in lieu of the other.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by fuke(m): 1:07pm On Dec 15, 2009
These two jobs do not look alike. Adverti glamorous. Lecturing is more conservatine.
      You should know where you fit in more.

There is more money in advertising world and you will know a lot of influential people
      which is capital on its own. Again your rise does not depend on how many papers you write
      but creativity.It is good to make your money early, do well for yourself and who knows you
      may  make enough money to establish your own university and employ profesors.

Li fe is short on this side of the world, when you buy a new horse ride it very well.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by kbriggs: 2:19pm On Dec 15, 2009
feel your head bro. become a professor if you can.it is better. At least job security.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by stede(m): 4:27pm On Dec 15, 2009
lecturing is still the best any day any time .
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by kellysopy(m): 4:30pm On Dec 15, 2009
intergrated Marketing coz u will have more room for flexibility and faster growth.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by CarlosVent(m): 7:25pm On Dec 15, 2009
lecturing is good for u man
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by slimes(m): 11:48pm On Dec 15, 2009
Understand your destiny very well to make this choice. Both careers are parallel; one on a fast but unstable lane and the other on a slow but steady lane. Being a Professor is a prestige that cannot fade.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by unclesamtech(m): 12:38am On Dec 16, 2009
lecturing Job
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by unclesamtech(m): 12:40am On Dec 16, 2009
lecturing Job is better for you my Friend
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by semid4lyfe(m): 2:02am On Dec 16, 2009
Let me just chip this in - As a Professor you get paid your basic salary and most of your other benefits even in retirement. At least, thats what one of my lecturers, a retired Professor (Who was on contract) said while trying to sweet talk us into coming back for M.Phil/Ph.D's AND really I think the earlier you get into academia, the better and it's faster for you to rise through the ranks although this is highly 'politicized' and 'tribalized' in some Universities.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by Lolladey(f): 3:07pm On Dec 19, 2009
i think being a lecturer is better cos u ll ve time to do other personal things e.g ur family and business.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by oboms(m): 3:50pm On Dec 20, 2009
I advise you find out your passion and purpose.What is most important to you in life?That answers it.
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by jaybee3(m): 4:30pm On Dec 20, 2009
Is the lecturing job at a private uni? if yes then i'd advise you to go for it simply because of the job security you'd get.
If not at a private uni then it's best you go for the marketing job
Re: Dilemma ! Lecturing Or Intergrated Marketing Job ? CC: Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Tk417 et al by openetony: 11:12am On Dec 22, 2009
Either one of them would do, it actually depends on what and who u wish to become in the future. Lecturing job requires years of studying, research and reading to climb up the ladder not forgetting the amount of money that goes into it. It also means you'll have to go for your masters and doctorate then writing papers coupled with lecturing to be appointed a professor. While the latter doesn't demand much sacrifices and one can reach easily to the top within a shorter period of time. It still boils down to what you wish to become and if you have a sponsor especially in the academic world as most parents wash of their hands from their children immediately they bag their first degree. Just think, assess the situation you'll definitely know which you want to become.

(1) (Reply)

Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? / Which Step Have You Reached Today(Photo) / N-power February Stipend: Volunteer Reveals Why Npower Delays Monthly Stipend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.