Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? (9277 Views)

It Is Not Face Cap, Here Is The Correct Spelling / Fun Time: Name That English Word You Totally Disagree With Its Spelling / Sheriff Muhammad Wins African Spelling Bee Champion Title (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Ajmuluq(m): 2:25pm On Mar 02, 2017

Does reading improve your spelling?
Do you know?

No, it doesn't

Reading’s very important but it won’t improve your spelling.

Different skills are involved. Spelling is much more difficult than reading.

According to David Crystal: Teachers assume that reading, once taught, automatically means that spelling will be ‘caught’. But there is no correlation between reading ability and spelling ability. (David Crystal: The English Language)

Spelling won’t happen because we read. A word must be consciously and deliberately learnt.

Spelling uses a set of active, productive, conscious processes that are not required for reading. (David Crystal: The English Language)

We don’t read to learn spelling, we read for information or entertainment etc. We skim over the words when we read whereas spelling is an active letter-by-letter activity.

Spelling is a visuo-motor skill. This means that visual and physical skills are crucial. You must see the patterns of English and feel the writing of them. Learning to visualize the whole word can also improve spelling.

Reading a word is easy but try to spell it and there could be a number of ways to spell it, like in homophones: buy/bye/by, you/you're, its/it's, there/their/there, stationary/stationery

Look at the following words. They have the same long vowel sound 'e' + s but have 7 possible spellings: breeze, knees, these, fleas, seize/sees/seas, cheese, tease/teas.

Easy to read not so easy to spell!

TOP TIP number 1: Just because you’ve seen a word, read it, and copied it down once, doesn’t mean you'll be able to spell it.

You must work at and study spelling, notice the features of words. Pay attention to how words are made up – the letter patterns, root words, prefixes, suffixes, rules.

Work at and study spelling.

4 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by SweetyZinta(f): 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2017
I guess it does

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by LAFO: 2:55pm On Mar 02, 2017
It does help me.

Don't know about lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by beycity(m): 3:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
Yes, reading sure do help me. I get to see new words, spell them and their usage.

14 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by vickipadila: 5:47am On Jun 12, 2017
I loved it. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you. Thanks for posting it, again!
happy wheels
geometry dash
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by nony43(m): 7:13am On Aug 09, 2017
It does, forget Oyibo and their theories, These phone dictionaries abi auto correct kills your knowledge of spelling faster than you can imagine. Because while typing and you want to use long words you will be almost dependent on them

8 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Comjul(m): 7:14am On Aug 09, 2017
Yes o
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by 9jayes: 7:14am On Aug 09, 2017
hmmm
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by EmekaBlue(m): 7:14am On Aug 09, 2017
Improves even your english speaking and writing.

8 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by GMBuhari: 7:14am On Aug 09, 2017
Yes it does

That's if you are reading to understand

When i was growing up reading James Hardly chase , i did so with my dictionary and a jotter

I just don't like to form, otherwise, Patrick would be learning english from me

For reals ...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by ugleenerd: 7:15am On Aug 09, 2017
undecided
d guy abv me tho...
u can lie 4 Africa...

it does except u r frm Ibadan...

5 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by anyebedgreat: 7:15am On Aug 09, 2017
Of course it doesn't. When you read, you see words as a whole so you don't bother looking at the letters. Writing improves spellings though.

4 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 09, 2017
Yes it does.

1 Like

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by TOLULOPEMIDEAR(f): 7:15am On Aug 09, 2017
yes it does,

but all d same happy birthday to my kid bro

3 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by jejemanito: 7:15am On Aug 09, 2017
I have never consciously learnt how to spell Schweinsteiger

But I just did. ^^^ Up there

How?

Because I've read tons of articles containing that name on Goal.com

I can't be the only one with this experience

10 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 09, 2017
Yes it does. It also improves your range of lexical resource.
Leaders are Readers
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 09, 2017
Its good to Read... Whether it improves spelling or not (according to your article)

Listen to my new song dedicated to all Nigerian rappers at

https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/233002/

Listen to my dope rap freestyle at
https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/24670/
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by golddust6000(m): 7:16am On Aug 09, 2017
*BREAKING_NEWS* They are now in # lagos state oooo! This happened in someone's Estate this Morning in ipaja. A lady called an Aboki as we all call them, a shoe maker to help fix her slippers. She allowed him stay in their compound, while she went back inside to continue with what she was doing. When he was fixing her slippers, he added something under before stitching it back. Luckily for the Lady, her landlord was at the balcony watching the ABOKI without his knowledge. When he was through, he called her to tell her that he has finished. She came out, he told her to try it on her leg to make sure it was OK. Her landlord shouted from upstairs 'no oh, don't put your leg in that slippers I'm coming. He came downstairs; forced the Aboki to put his leg in the slippers, the Aboki refused. Then he alerted neighbours. So,they all gathered, forced him to wear the slippers. Immediately he put his leg in the slippers, Guess what happened?? Hmmmmmmmmmm !!!!! The slippers cut... He did not sew it well.

6 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Enkay12: 7:16am On Aug 09, 2017
It sure does oo .. Take it or leave it

2 Likes

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Madeu(m): 7:16am On Aug 09, 2017
Yes it does. Especially reading fiction books.
Also writing the unknown words and the meaning in a book or a sheet of paper
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by oheni(f): 7:17am On Aug 09, 2017
it does
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by danchuzzy(m): 7:18am On Aug 09, 2017
No it doesn't.

Help you learn new words? Yes

Help you remember spellings of old words you know but have prolly forgotten? Maybe.

But to learn how to spell? NO!

You have to LEARN how to spell; Consciously and conscientiously.
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by sweatlana: 7:18am On Aug 09, 2017
angry
I've always had issues with spelling.
Despite being a lawyer.
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 09, 2017
golddust6000:
*BREAKING_NEWS* They are now in # lagos state oooo! This happened in someone's Estate this Morning in ipaja. A lady called an Aboki as we all call them, a shoe maker to help fix her slippers. She allowed him stay in their compound, while she went back inside to continue with what she was doing. When he was fixing her slippers, he added something under before stitching it back. Luckily for the Lady, her landlord was at the balcony watching the ABOKI without his knowledge. When he was through, he called her to tell her that he has finished. She came out, he told her to try it on her leg to make sure it was OK. Her landlord shouted from upstairs 'no oh, don't put your leg in that slippers I'm coming. He came downstairs; forced the Aboki to put his leg in the slippers, the Aboki refused. Then he alerted neighbours. So,they all gathered, forced him to wear the slippers. Immediately he put his leg in the slippers, Guess what happened?? Hmmmmmmmmmm !!!!! The slippers cut... He did not sew it well.
The kinda things that humour kids though, smh. And he wants us to laugh to this angry
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Dutchey(m): 7:20am On Aug 09, 2017
since march, just making fp
Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by danchuzzy(m): 7:21am On Aug 09, 2017
Frenchfriez:

The kinda things that humour kids though, smh. And he wants us to laugh to this angry

I wonder who's giving them more room to operate.

The dumb ones I mean angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Reading Improve Your Spelling? by Rainmaker69(m): 7:21am On Aug 09, 2017
You can't take one rule and apply it across board. That's a fallacy. Reading helped me discover new words, increase my english register, word recognition and spelling aptitude.
To separate the word learning process from reading is to say you want to soak garri without water. E no mean say you get sugar with milk and groundnut, na d water go consummate the soaking. That's what reading is to learning to spell.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Motivate Yourself To Study? / closed / See What SS2 Students Were Spotted Doing In Sokoto That Will Make U Cry(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.