Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,674 members, 7,955,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:09 AM

My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army (1642 Views)

Nigeria Army Neutralises Bandits In Katsina, Recovers Cows, Guns, Others (Photo) / Reckless Driver Hits Nigeria Army Van And This Happened (Photos) / Nigeria Army Gives Update On Damasak Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 04, 2017
Why l go AWOL

I just realised that been a an AWOL /Deserter soldier earn no glory. It is a big offence in the army need to be treat and forgive.
I was enlisted on 25th Nov, 2014 and pass out May 22,2015.Deploy to a Div. We had just one and half Regimental course including 2weeks pass which some of us could not finished the three months course before 20 out of 50 of us posted there,were selected to go northeast. Little did I know that we are going to war zone in northeast which everything became clear when we arrived at Task Force Brigade headquarter in Northeast. A colleague of mine wanted to run away which everybody persuaded him to stay after contacted his family who was later killed in the battlefield during our contact with the enemy. I never thought of leaving the army during those times we were fighting in the task force battalion .
Luckily, I got selected to join those going to another location when the police unit station there ran away because of Boko Haram. Many Thought that those of us selected are going on a suicide mission of no return because of the rumour of Boko Haram invasion on the terrace but it turned out to be the safe haven for those of us that went there, we are there till date.
My going AWOL was caused due to frustration beyond my control though I never speak to the two officers/ any soldiers about it before I suddenly disappeared. Those of us who came from my former Task Force Battalion to the new location received our last operational allowance end of May and was stopped,reaching 5 to the clerk only to be shun at, though I am the least soldier and most junior soldier in the camp, l couldn't meet the O.C to complain.during this period l also couldn't remember when I go pass last as it running to 5months, precisely my last pass was in early June. All these with family and personal problems started given me a traumatic stress which only what l could think of was to go out of the army. During these period l sick and was admitted at the brigade headquarter MRS which landed me 4 to 6 big and small drips altogether into my body and some drugs/ injections because since we went to Bara l'm station at the kitchen as a cook.before l was removed there.
I was in full sorrow for my life because I thought l chooses want was not good for me. My thoughts of going AWOL came when I was fully devastated all these thinking which makes me to dropped my army things (Riffle, ammunitions, ID, and uniform on my bed in my tent) issue to me and left.
I thought I was free until recently l realize AWOL in the army an offence and a bad reputation.
Iam deciding to Turn Myself In even if army are not looking for me. My operational allowance started coming in after l left but I couldn't get those paid to my other colleagues from the same task force battalion soldiers during when they resumed the payment in bulk at the brigade that prompted me to go AWOL.
Can the army temper justice with mercy if I turn myself in?, because I didn't know the rate of these offences as I am just two(2)years in service, and all my army life was in this operation ground with nothing in the Barrack, no room or property which all our Colleagues in the barrack had done for long and some married.
It is unfortunate l find myself in this situation as l was not charge or lock in the guardroom before .
Please l want Officers and soldiers in the house to advice me what to do,l want to turn myself in, how to go about this issue and if military police lawyer can be of good help.Note:it is close to 4month of my AWOL now from the battlefield, l'm not suffering out here but leaving army this way is what I want to correct.
What advice do you have for as l fully thinking how to go about this whole issue.?
It was frustration that make me to did all these things.
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by falcon01: 11:15am On Mar 04, 2017
well
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by baylord101(m): 11:26am On Mar 04, 2017
U left ur id, uniform, riffle and major things u will be hold responsible for? I won't say court Marshall but u may likely face one because u ve break both the arm and riffle vow, it wouldn't ve been better if u type AWOL without putting the meaning also.
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by nwaanambra1(m): 11:40am On Mar 04, 2017
phew!

lord have mercy on english!

soldier boy AWOL is a serious military offense that may land you up to 17 years in prison!

and coupled with the fact that u r not connected in the army, it may land you more than 20 years in imprisonment!

the truth is your situation now is really miserable - you between the devil and the deep blue sea - in the sense that if you submit yourself, you are in trouble. if you dont submit yourself you still in trouble.

i will advice you to concoct a story claiming you went for a stroll and you were kidnapped by unknown men - you were taken to unknown location and you were finally able to free yourself.

the just have to raise a good story or the army will fry you!

sorry bro! undecided undecided

Modify: let me also remind you that IGNORANT OF THE LAW IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO BREAK THE LAW. saying that you dont know that its an offense to go on AWOL can not stop the military tribunal from sentencing you to prison.

the fact that you left your gun unattended and abscond is unforgivable in the army - anybody could av stolen that gun and sale it to criminals.

your saying that you dont know that AWOL is such a serious offense is a lie cause during training, you were told about the crimes of abandoning the army without going thru the proper channels.

NoLotty:
Why l go AWOL
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 04, 2017
What should be the way out
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by Kevsman(m): 9:32pm On Mar 04, 2017
You are a member of 14NA/72RRI, well, i realy dont know what to say because, if you return to your unit, they might dismiss and jail you, but let me ask you, are they still paying you your monthly salary? (coursemate) '' and posting on nairaland is very wrong, i know how we suffered at Depot, may God be with you.
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 04, 2017
[quote author=Kevsman post=54275954]You are a member of 14NA/72RRI, well, i realy dont know what to say because, if you return to your unit, they might dismiss and jail you, but let me ask you, are they still paying you your monthly salary? (coursemate)[/quo
14NA Yea, salary stop end of Dec
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by Kevsman(m): 9:45pm On Mar 04, 2017
Regular Nairaland is a very wrong place for your questions, just try and contact other soldiers from your unit, they might help you. Please just just try
Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by johnnym1: 9:45pm On Mar 04, 2017
You can go back if you are ready to go to jail and suffer for a very long time . You committed a very serious offence. My advise,run as fast as your legs can take you. Btw,while training,did they not tell you the implication ?

NoLotty:
What should be the way out

1 Like

Re: My AWOL (absent Without Leave) In Nigeria Army by Kevsman(m): 9:50pm On Mar 04, 2017
johnnym1:
You can go back if you are ready to go to jail and suffer for a very long time . You committed a very serious offence. My advise,run as fast as your legs can take you. Btw,while training,did they not tell you the implication ?

We all know the implication of AWOL, especially during war. He shouldn't have brought such discussion to nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking:family Poisoned To Death In Okija, Anambra State / 15-year-old Boy Caught Having Sex With Goat / Blood Flows In Iseyin As Oro Worshippers & Muslims Clash (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.