Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Improve Your Health By Taking A Walk - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Improve Your Health By Taking A Walk (362 Views)

Good News For Men Health By Stc30 / Is The Sugar In Fruits Good Or Bad For Your Health? / Face Map: How To Tell Your Health By Your Face (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Improve Your Health By Taking A Walk by DIAFA1(m): 11:41am On Mar 04, 2017
My best exercise routine is walking. I love to work. Walking relaxes me. It makes me see the environment where I live. I also enjoy the breeze. I lose belly weight and unwanted weight by taking brisk walk. Besides, I sleep better when I take a walk.

Taking a walk is also important for you. This is one resolution everyone should make. And you cannot say you have over walked, because no one really walks as much as they should walk.

Walking is indeed the easiest exercise you can embark on:

The necessary equipment is right down there. See those bizarre appendages underneath you? That’s what you walk with. See that horizontal surface stretching into the horizon? That’s what you walk on.

Take a walk to keep your buttocks engaged with the world.

A wise man once said that excessive sitting causes glute inactivation and atrophy. This is true, but it is not like simply standing is enough to keep them strong and engaged. You have to walk, and walk often. To make sure the way you walk is actually activating your glutes, place your hands on each glute.

You should feel your glute tense up a bit with each footfall as it accepts the load, and that same glute should tense up even more when you push off to take another step so that your hand gets a little ‘pushback.’ Gallivant around like this, making sure each glute is working. Those buttocks! Never-do-wells, the lot of them if you give them half a chance!

It modestly reduces body fat.

Walking is not going to get you shredded, ripped, cut, or yoked. It might not be as brutally and mechanistically effective on a minute for minute basis as other forms of exercise, but frequent walking will help anyone with two functioning legs and hip and knee joints that allow movement who would otherwise meld into the couch lose some body fat.

It improves glycemic control, especially after meals.

Just 15 minutes of walking after eating improved the blood glucose control in older people with poor glucose tolerance. Try to keep the walk as close to the meal as possible to aid in weight loss.

It improves triglyceride levels and lowers blood pressure, especially after meals.

Whether short (ten 3-minute bouts of brisk walking) or longer (one 30-minute bout of brisk walking), briskly walking after a meal lowers postprandial blood pressure and triglyceride levels.

It might help you live longer if you do it briskly.

A recent study of over 7000 male and 31000 female recreational walkers found that walking intensity predicted mortality risk. Those who walked the fastest tended to die the least. It is important to note that this wasn’t an interventional study where walkers were coached to walk faster; this was just looking at the relationship between natural walking speed and mortality risk, so naturally slow walkers who resolve to increase their speed may not see the same relationship – but it certainly can’t hurt!

It is well tolerated by people with arthritis (and could even improve their condition).

Arthritis patients have it tough on the exercise front. They won’t get any better avoiding exercise, but exercise tends to hurt. What to do? Walk. Walking is gentle, particularly if you perform it with proper form. And one study even found that walking (and weight lifting) improves balance in older adults with osteoarthritis.

It’s good for your brain.

Walking does much more than work the area underneath your neck. It also has extensive cognitive benefits, improving memory in the elderly, cognitive control and academic performance in preadolescents (especially those who need it most), and (when done outdoors) boosting creativity in the young and healthy.

The farther an older person can walk in six minutes, the better he or she performs on memory and logic test; folks who perform poorly on the walking test tend to have reduced grey matter volume in certain sections of their brains. Aristotle’s famed tendency to walk as he taught students suddenly makes sense.

It reduces stress.

It reduces stress and boosts immune function.

It prevents premature wrinkles in the elderly.

Walking on uneven, natural ground like hiking trails improves balance and reduces premature wrinkles in the elderly

It gives you a chance to think.

When we walk, we think. And because walking is a low-difficulty endeavor, we can direct our executive functioning to more internal matters. We work through problems, come up with ideas, replay conversations, scheme, ruminate, and discover solutions.

It can be a kind of meditation.

Meditation is a foreign concept for many people; we know about it, but we don’t know it. Even when we want to try it, having read about the benefits, we can’t quite muster the will to sit still for twenty, thirty minutes at a time. Enter the walking meditation. Just go for a walk and let your mind tune out from all the chatter. You will feel better either way.

It improves meetings.

Regular old seated meetings can be tedious, yawn-inducing beasts, even when the people and subject matter involved are interesting. Walking meetings, which are exactly what it sounds like, are growing more commonplace in the business world.

It’s in your blood.

Your distant ancestors didn’t develop horribly calloused knuckles and brave savannah predators just so you could sit at the computer and devolve into an immobile person. You came from a long and storied line of walkers. Keep the tradition alive! It is in your genes.

It enables recognition of the felt presence of immediate experience.

When you drive, you can’t really focus on all the interesting stuff occurring in the world around you. Outside of what’s happening on the road, you shouldn’t focus on what’s occurring around you when you drive. Even riding a bike you tend to get tunnel vision. Walking on the other hand offers infinite chances for engagement with the outside world.

You now see that you have to put on your walking attires and begin to walk. It is very rewarding. Happy walking life.

Be good to yourself

I am your partner in good health

Visit https://ayodeleherbals.com for more

(1) (Reply)

Marijuana(weed) / H / Food That Is Essential For Diabetes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.